The Diminishment of Freedom

hue-man

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 12:50 pm
People on the right of politics are constantly talking about our freedom being diminished. This seems to be nothing more than paranoia, phobia, and distortion of facts. I still eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink, watch what I want to watch, say what I want to say, and have sex with who I want to have sex with without government persecution. Can someone please give me an example of a freedom that has been taken away from me, because I'm clearly not aware of one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,863 • Replies: 40
No top replies

josh0335

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:01 pm
@hue-man,
USA Patriot Act. Not being told why you've been arrested, having no access to legal representation and being incarcerated indefnitely without trial seems to be a loss of freedom to me.
hue-man

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:04 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;103482 wrote:
USA Patriot Act. Not being told why you've been arrested, having no access to legal representation and being incarcerated indefnitely without trial seems to be a loss of freedom to me.

I am aware of the patriot act, but that has not affected me and the general population. There are rare cases where the wrong person was accused of being a terrorist, but more often than not, the person accused is involved with terrorist networks. The ironic thing is that this bill was pushed by a republican president.

Is this all that you can give me?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:06 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;103478 wrote:
People on the right of politics are constantly talking about our freedom being diminished. This seems to be nothing more than paranoia, phobia, and distortion of facts. I still eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink, watch what I want to watch, say what I want to say, and have sex with who I want to have sex with without government persecution. Can someone please give me an example of a freedom that has been taken away from me, because I'm clearly not aware of one?

Of course. The freedom to use my money as I please, rather than it being confiscated by the government to give to those I may not choose to give it to. It is called "the redistribution of income".
josh0335

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:12 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;103485 wrote:
I am aware of the patriot act, but that has not affected me and the general population. There are rare cases where the wrong person was accused of being a terrorist, but more often than not, the person accused is involved with terrorist networks. The ironic thing is that this bill was pushed by a republican president.

Is this all that you can give me?

Well, I live in the UK so I'm not the best person to challenge you on what you say. But it is the erosion of liberties that everyone should be afraid of. The Patriot Act is just one example of where freedoms are taken away which only effect a very small number of people. But once the door is open, it is very rarely closed. Perhaps your freedoms will not be further eroded in your life, but that's not to say future governments won't build on these initial steps and oppress your children.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:16 pm
@josh0335,
How fear can bring out the very worst in us all. Attempting to defend without attacking the very cause you are attempting to maintain. Its an inaccuracy that recently freedoms have been withdrawn, we have in fact become more open to our errors. The British have softened their military approach with their counter insurgency methods. I was trained as a counter insurgent soldier and I would have acted with much more severity to any insurgent captured by us in the 1960s. It would have been an instant trial and execution. We have a long way to go to be truly free but not nearly as far as many countries in other parts of the world. Everything is relative.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:20 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;103486 wrote:
Of course. The freedom to use my money as I please, rather than it being confiscated by the government to give to those I may not choose to give it to. It is called "the redistribution of income".

Well taxation is the redistribution of income by its very definition. Where the income is redistributed is another matter. An anarchist would argue that they don't have the freedom to keep all of their money and that they should have the freedom because they don't believe in the state.

---------- Post added 11-14-2009 at 02:23 PM ----------

josh0335;103489 wrote:
Well, I live in the UK so I'm not the best person to challenge you on what you say. But it is the erosion of liberties that everyone should be afraid of. The Patriot Act is just one example of where freedoms are taken away which only effect a very small number of people. But once the door is open, it is very rarely closed. Perhaps your freedoms will not be further eroded in your life, but that's not to say future governments won't build on these initial steps and oppress your children.

Some degree of suspicion of the state is healthy, but it must be kept in a rational perspective. With or without the Patriot Act, we are always under some level of threat from state tyranny and authoritarianism as long as the state exists.
josh0335

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:31 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;103494 wrote:
Some degree of suspicion of the state is healthy, but it must be kept in a rational perspective. With or without the Patriot Act, we are always under some level of threat from state tyranny and authoritarianism as long as the state exists.

So you're okay with the fact that potentially you could be detained and held indefinitely without trial? Is this the kind of rational perspective you're talking about?
hue-man

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:40 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;103498 wrote:
So you're okay with the fact that potentially you could be detained and held indefinitely without trial? Is this the kind of rational perspective you're talking about?

No I'm not OK with the fact that I could potentially be detained and held indefinitely without trial . . . lol. I'm also not OK with the fact that I could be arrested and thrown in jail for the rest of my life for committing a felony crime. However, I don't foresee myself becoming a terrorist or committing felony crimes, so I don't worry about it.
josh0335

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:50 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;103500 wrote:
No I'm not OK with the fact that I could potentially be detained and held indefinitely without trial . . . lol. I'm also not OK with the fact that I could be arrested and thrown in jail for the rest of my life for committing a felony crime. However, I don't foresee myself becoming a terrorist or committing felony crimes, so I don't worry about it.

Sure, but you've never heard of miscarriage of justice? The whole point of a trial is to be able to clear your name if you've been wrongfully accused of something. So the fact that you have no intention of being a terrorist is irrelevant. You could be detained wrongfully and you would not have the freedom/right to clear your name. You don't worry about it because you probably don't fit the profile. But one day you might become friends with someone who does, and maybe then you will worry about it.
xris

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 01:58 pm
@josh0335,
Can you give an example where this power has been abused. It has been amended and there is limit to the time any one can be held. You are exaggerating the effectiveness of this law. The law still protects the potential terrorist in many aspects of the law. Our free press can and does protect the individual.
josh0335

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:01 pm
@xris,
xris;103506 wrote:
Can you give an example where this power has been abused. It has been amended and there is limit to the time any one can be held. You are exaggerating the effectiveness of this law. The law still protects the potential terrorist in many aspects of the law. Our free press can and does protect the individual.

It's not about whether the power is abused, the power is an abuse in itself. How about the numerous inmates in Gitmo that are held and yet to have a free trial in a court of law? USA used to be a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. The abuse is that now you can be deemed guilty without even a chance to clear your name in a court of law. I'm not exaggerating anything, that's what the Act allows.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:19 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;103537 wrote:
It's not about whether the power is abused, the power is an abuse in itself. How about the numerous inmates in Gitmo that are held and yet to have a free trial in a court of law? USA used to be a country where everyone is innocent until proven guilty. The abuse is that now you can be deemed guilty without even a chance to clear your name in a court of law. I'm not exaggerating anything, that's what the Act allows.

Guilty people are not innocent until proven guilty. You mean presumed innocent until proven guilty. Gitmo people were caught on the battlefield, and are presumed dangerous, and, for the most part, are dangerous. Their status is as POWs. No POWs have ever been brought to trial. No one ever heard of such a thing until now.
0 Replies

Pangloss

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 05:51 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;103478 wrote:
People on the right of politics are constantly talking about our freedom being diminished. This seems to be nothing more than paranoia, phobia, and distortion of facts. I still eat what I want to eat, drink what I want to drink, watch what I want to watch, say what I want to say, and have sex with who I want to have sex with without government persecution.

Oh well, because you have not experienced any reduced freedom, then of course it must mean that nobody has? This is a fallacy of generalization. And by the way, it's not just people on the 'right' talking about freedom, it's everybody.

hue-man;103478 wrote:
Can someone please give me an example of a freedom that has been taken away from me, because I'm clearly not aware of one?

Aside from numerous documented abuses of the Patriot Act, you've apparently forgotten about Bush's domestic surveillance program, which resulted in the illegal, unwarranted wiretapping of many US citizens. Recent reports have also been coming out that show this program involved much more than just wire tapping without warrants, it was a sophisticated domestic spying program, ordered by Bush in 2001, and basically kept secret until parts of it were leaked in the NY Times a few years ago.

kennethamy wrote:

Gitmo people were caught on the battlefield, and are presumed dangerous, and, for the most part, are dangerous. Their status is as POWs. No POWs have ever been brought to trial. No one ever heard of such a thing until now.

Yes, they are prisoners of war, and as such, are entitled to certain rights, which have clearly been violated by the United States. The Third Geneva Convention, which the US did ratify, deals with the treatment of POWs, and specifically forbids physical or mental torture. Documented abuses of prisoners at places such as Abu Ghraib, as well as the public policy of waterboarding prisoners, clearly demonstrates a violation of the third convention, which is considered to be a grave breach, also known as a war crime.

Also, the US is holding plenty of prisoners who are NOT POWs, but noncombatants. These people are protected under the fourth Geneva Convention, and may not be held hostage or deported. Yet, again, the US has been in violation of these rules by keeping civilians as hostages who are not actual POWs, deporting noncombatants to foreign prisons where they have no rights, or contracting out the torture of these people to third parties.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 06:52 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;103542 wrote:
Oh well, because you have not experienced any reduced freedom, then of course it must mean that nobody has? This is a fallacy of generalization. And by the way, it's not just people on the 'right' talking about freedom, it's everybody.

Aside from numerous documented abuses of the Patriot Act, you've apparently forgotten about Bush's domestic surveillance program, which resulted in the illegal, unwarranted wiretapping of many US citizens. Recent reports have also been coming out that show this program involved much more than just wire tapping without warrants, it was a sophisticated domestic spying program, ordered by Bush in 2001, and basically kept secret until parts of it were leaked in the NY Times a few years ago.

Yes, they are prisoners of war, and as such, are entitled to certain rights, which have clearly been violated by the United States. The Third Geneva Convention, which the US did ratify, deals with the treatment of POWs, and specifically forbids physical or mental torture. Documented abuses of prisoners at places such as Abu Ghraib, as well as the public policy of waterboarding prisoners, clearly demonstrates a violation of the third convention, which is considered to be a grave breach, also known as a war crime.

Also, the US is holding plenty of prisoners who are NOT POWs, but noncombatants. These people are protected under the fourth Geneva Convention, and may not be held hostage or deported. Yet, again, the US has been in violation of these rules by keeping civilians as hostages who are not actual POWs, deporting noncombatants to foreign prisons where they have no rights, or contracting out the torture of these people to third parties.

Well, stop worrying. We are beginning to try them in civilian courts now. Better than they deserve.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 14 Nov, 2009 07:39 pm
@Pangloss,
Pangloss;103542 wrote:

I didn't say that nobody has experienced a reduction in their freedom, now did I? Those people are usually terrorists and criminals.

Pangloss;103542 wrote:

I'm aware of Bush's abuse of wiretapping and such, but suddenly everyone on the right is making it sound like something new has happened since Obama took office. My point is that it's grounded in paranoia and phobia more than it is in actual experience and fact.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:26 am
@josh0335,
josh0335;103537 wrote:
You cant point to one abuse to try proving another. These laws are a contingency plan, not to be abused on a whim. There are many laws that are never used.
josh0335

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:14 pm
@xris,
xris;103596 wrote:
You cant point to one abuse to try proving another. These laws are a contingency plan, not to be abused on a whim. There are many laws that are never used.

As I said, it doesn't matter if they are not to be abused, the Act itself and what it entails is an abuse. This is clearly a case of diminishing freedoms. It probably doesn't bother you because you don't fit the profile of someone who may suffer from this Act. But it's wrong to say freedoms have not diminished because clearly they have.
xris

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:29 pm
@josh0335,
josh0335;103647 wrote:
As I said, it doesn't matter if they are not to be abused, the Act itself and what it entails is an abuse. This is clearly a case of diminishing freedoms. It probably doesn't bother you because you don't fit the profile of someone who may suffer from this Act. But it's wrong to say freedoms have not diminished because clearly they have.
Fit the profile, I have been sanctioned for being a union activist and have been considered a security risk by MI5. I agree having a certain appearance can be a disadvantage but its more than a disadvantage when your appearance is of no consequence to a terrorist. I apologize if by your appearance you are considered a terrorist but thats life im afraid, just ask an Irishman. We live in difficult times and we do understand certain members of our community are viewed with suspicion, is it our fault or those who perpetrate the atrocities. If you had two white skin heads sit opposite you on an empty train would you feel threatened, would you have certain feelings that could be considered prejudiced?
josh0335

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 01:54 pm
@xris,
xris;103649 wrote:
Fit the profile, I have been sanctioned for being a union activist and have been considered a security risk by MI5. I agree having a certain appearance can be a disadvantage but its more than a disadvantage when your appearance is of no consequence to a terrorist. I apologize if by your appearance you are considered a terrorist but thats life im afraid, just ask an Irishman. We live in difficult times and we do understand certain members of our community are viewed with suspicion, is it our fault or those who perpetrate the atrocities. If you had two white skin heads sit opposite you on an empty train would you feel threatened, would you have certain feelings that could be considered prejudiced?

We can talk about prejudice if you like, but that would be off-topic. I mentioned profile because I suspect many people who do not believe liberties have been taken away are not of the relevant profile, and thus don't care. I can see you're not one of them and you clearly do care. But are you admitting that liberties have diminished as a result of this act? We can talk about its applications and whether it is justified or not later.