Is Capitalism Moral?

hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:25 pm
@EmperorNero,
You must not have been listening to the video or maybe you were so disgusted that you turn it off after that part. Did you miss the fact that the paper also criticized him after calling him one of the most important intellectuals? No American publications like Chomsky because he criticizes them all.

No the enemies are not only scare stories, Nero. You still have reason to be afraid. The government uses the enemies that it creates as a justification for the enforcement of it's power.

So the New York Times, a left wing news publication, is a communist propaganda publication. I swear, you right wingers exaggerate things to the point of ridiculousness.
EmperorNero

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:29 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;64422 wrote:
So the New York Times, a left wing news publication, is a communist propaganda publication.

Yeah they are. So left wing is not left wing now?

I never heard of the guy, and he's not even that known in Europe. Hes just venting for anti-American trustafarians.

You name one thing that guy says that even makes sense.
hue-man

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:37 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Yeah they are. So left wing is not left wing now?

I never heard of the guy, and he's not even that known in Europe. Hes just venting for anti-American trustafarians.

You name one thing that guy says that even makes sense.

Are you serious?!! LOL . . . he makes so much sense that you had to resort to calling him names. No one ever seems to successfully counter Chomsky because he's just telling the truth without bias.

He's actually known quite well in Europe, or was that not clear from the BBC interview that said he was well known and well liked by the commie Europeans.

Left-wing does not mean communist. Communism is just one left-wing socio-economic philosophy.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 03:45 pm
@hue-man,
So the New York Times is left-wing and NOT left-wing socio-economic philosophiy?
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 09:32 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
You're making a common mistake that relativists make. You're confusing descriptive ethics with prescriptive ethics. What this means is that you take the observable fact that there are different standards or ideas of morality in different societies (such as slavery in one and no slavery in the other) and you say that morality should be relative to the society or individual, regardless of how it infringes on the rights of another individual. In other words you start by saying how things are and conclude that that's how things should be. You said that moral sentences can be countered simply by asking why. Let me ask you a question . . . why should morality be relative merely because different cultures and different time periods have different conceptions of morality?

You have completely misread me. No where did I say that morality should be relative. I have said that it is relative in that different groups of people have different value-systems, none of which can be judged right or wrong by a universal standard, because there is no universal standard.

Quote:
If I say that kidnapping you and torturing you is wrong for me, then it is also wrong for you. Why is it wrong? It is wrong not only because it causes pain and suffering, but also because it violates the value of autonomy and free will. Now you may like being kidnapped and tortured, but that doesn't give me the right to do it to you. If you like torture and coercion, then you just need psychiatric assistance.

If you judge kipnapping and torturing me to be wrong, thats fine. I would too. But if I didn't, say if I was a suicidal masochist, on what grounds can you claim that your judegment is correct and mine incorrect? You are setting up pain as a universal 'bad.' On what grounds? That is itself a judgement of yours: the same with autonomy. How does the U.N. declaration differ essentially from any other declaration of an ethic? It is not more an absolute standard than any other, and it is certainly not representative of a world consensus on morality; it represents the views of certain people and cultures.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:07 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;64181 wrote:
If I say that kidnapping you and torturing you is wrong for me, then it is also wrong for you. Why is it wrong? It is wrong not only because it causes pain and suffering, but also because it violates the value of autonomy and free will. Now you may like being kidnapped and tortured, but that doesn't give me the right to do it to you. If you like torture and coercion, then you just need psychiatric assistance.

Well, no. You can't declare what others should want and need.
Not even that harm is wrong.
Who are you to declare that their decision to like torture is wrong?
There is no universal morales.
xris

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 06:54 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
There are no universal morals , are you really being serious? I think sometimes you are being controversial just for the hell of it.Where have you found torture as an acceptable moral attitude, dont mention mars now will you?
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 07:35 am
@xris,
xris;64880 wrote:
There are no universal morals , are you really being serious? I think sometimes you are being controversial just for the hell of it.Where have you found torture as an acceptable moral attitude, dont mention mars now will you?

To declare any morales universal you have to judge the purpose of human all existence.
So you know that causing harm is wrong? How do you know that? Do you have insight into the true nature of the universe?
xris

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 12:07 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
To declare any morales universal you have to judge the purpose of human all existence.
So you know that causing harm is wrong? How do you know that? Do you have insight into the true nature of the universe?
Did you know that Peter Pan could fly by thinking good thoughts?...did you?
hue-man

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 12:49 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
You have completely misread me. No where did I say that morality should be relative. I have said that it is relative in that different groups of people have different value-systems, none of which can be judged right or wrong by a universal standard, because there is no universal standard.

If you judge kipnapping and torturing me to be wrong, thats fine. I would too. But if I didn't, say if I was a suicidal masochist, on what grounds can you claim that your judegment is correct and mine incorrect? You are setting up pain as a universal 'bad.' On what grounds? That is itself a judgement of yours: the same with autonomy. How does the U.N. declaration differ essentially from any other declaration of an ethic? It is not more an absolute standard than any other, and it is certainly not representative of a world consensus on morality; it represents the views of certain people and cultures.

You're saying that because different cultures have different ethical systems, no moral standards can be judged as right or wrong. You're therefore implying that because morality can vary from culture to culture, that morality should be judged as relative to the society alone, and therefore any moral standards go. With that argument, you can seek to justify things like honor killings of women, rape and murder of toddlers, stealing, terrorism, etc. etc; that's where moral relativists go wrong. This is why many opponents of relativism argue that it is nihilism masquerading as theory.

I am not speaking of descriptive ethics. I am speaking of prescriptive ethics, which includes meta-ethical justification and normative ethical theories.

---------- Post added at 03:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

EmperorNero wrote:

So I can't declare that a child should be defended from violence or torture? I can't declare that a woman shouldn't be stoned for adultery. I can't declare that people should have the right against coercion or murder? I can't declare that people should have the right against enslavement? I can't declare that all citizens should have equal rights in light of the fact that they don't violate the rights of others? Please answer these questions for me, and then I'll tell you if you're a relativist?

---------- Post added at 03:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:49 PM ----------

EmperorNero wrote:

This is yet another misconception of what moral universalism is. To declare a value to be universal, the value needs to have equal benefit for all who choose to value it. For example, not everyone has to value laws against torture and coercion for it to be universally beneficent in its application.

Moral universalism says nothing of the purpose of human existence or the nature of the universe. That argument is called moral objectivism, which is the belief that moral sentences can be justified as right or wrong based on facts of nature. It's the belief that moral sentences can be verified as true or false based on facts about the natural world. I'm a moral subjectivist, so I strongly disagree with that argument.
EmperorNero

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 01:47 pm
@xris,
xris;64936 wrote:
Did you know that Peter Pan could fly by thinking good thoughts?...did you?

Do you even try to make an argument any more? You have these views but when it comes to justifying them you write nonsense.
Believe what you want to believe, but please quit ever addressing one of my posts unless you are going to have a shred of openness to opposing ideas.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 02:07 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
You're saying that because different cultures have different ethical systems, no moral standards can be judged as right or wrong. You're therefore implying that because morality can vary from culture to culture, that morality should be judged as relative to the society alone, and therefore any moral standards go. With that argument, you can seek to justify things like honor killings of women, rape and murder of toddlers, stealing, terrorism, etc. etc; that's where moral relativists go wrong. This is why many opponents of relativism argue that it is nihilism masquerading as theory.

That it not what I'm saying. Anyone can judge anyone else's morality to be wrong because it does not agree with their morality, or because it does not agree what some people believe to be a universal morality, like that in the U.N. declaration. In the same way, I can state with absolute confidence that the TV works because there's a little man inside pulling wires. In other words, you can judge that the values of cultures that allow honor killing, e.g., are bad because you value not harming as a good; i never said you couldn't. I'm just saying that the argument you could make as to why that culture's value was wrong, or why yours is right, is no more logically sound than the opposite argument with which that culture could rebut yours. Hence the name, relativism. It seems that you think that I am justifying any conduct. I am not. I have my own personal morality, and I might reccomend it to others, but I won't declare that it is THE correct morality. Some people would, but those people fail to see the inherent flaw in their logic. Your argument that moral relativism, goes wrong because it might "justify things like honor killing killings of women, rape and murder of toddlers stealing, terrorism, etc." is a circular argument, which presumes that those things are wrong; they are wrong only to those that believe them to be wrong. But again, that dosen't mean you can't object, you just can't logically claim that they are absolutely wrong, per se. No event or action has any value per se; things acquire value or meaning only from a perspective, and there are always discordant perspectives.

Quote:
So I can't declare that a child should be defended from violence or torture? I can't declare that a woman shouldn't be stoned for adultery. I can't declare that people should have the right against coercion or murder? I can't declare that people should have the right against enslavement? I can't declare that all citizens should have equal rights in light of the fact that they don't violate the rights of others? Please answer these questions for me, and then I'll tell you if you're a relativist?

You can do all of those things, but those 'should statements' are no more correct than the opposite; i.e. they are correct only for those who believe them.

Quote:
This is yet another misconception of what moral universalism is. To declare a value to be universal, the value needs to have equal benefit for all who choose to value it. For example, not everyone has to value laws against torture and coercion for it to be universally beneficent in its application.

That's a contradiction. If a 'unversal moral' is a value which equally benefits all who choose to value it, but not everyone has to value such values, then how can it be equally beneficial to everyone? For example. In Algeria there's a guy who want to kill a women because she dishonored the family; he wants to do this more than anything else in the world; he will feel unending shame if he does not. From his perspective, he would be harmed by having that value imposed on him, by the police let say, who prevent him from committing the honor killing. Unless everyone agrees on morality, any universal morailty will always benefit some and harm others, as benefit and harm are defined from their perspectives. Just like morals, there are no universal or absolute standards for harm and benefit; x event might harm bob, but it might benefit john.
xris

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 02:36 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Do you even try to make an argument any more? You have these views but when it comes to justifying them you write nonsense.
Believe what you want to believe, but please quit ever addressing one of my posts unless you are going to have a shred of openness to opposing ideas.
Nero i thought i made an appropriate reply to a question that defied my sense of logic.You came out with a totally nonsensical remark to a reasoned argument.Torture for any moral acceptable person is wrong..why make a stupid sugestion that morals are not universally the same..you defy simple reason..Peter Pans good thoughts lifted me higher..

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Morals are by any standards, any ones, any where defined by simple examination.We can judge water is wet, hot is hot, cold is cold.Morals are not imposition on others and they can be judged by the universal accepted manner.Mercy killing is not a moral issue, its a crime,crime can not be judged as a moral issue, just like picking your nose cant be judged as regional fascination.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 03:04 pm
@xris,
xris wrote:
Nero i thought i made an appropriate reply to a question that defied my sense of logic.You came out with a totally nonsensical remark to a reasoned argument.Torture for any moral acceptable person is wrong..why make a stupid sugestion that morals are not universally the same..you defy simple reason..Peter Pans good thoughts lifted me higher..

---------- Post added at 03:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:36 PM ----------

Morals are by any standards, any ones, any where defined by simple examination.We can judge water is wet, hot is hot, cold is cold.Morals are not imposition on others and they can be judged by the universal accepted manner.Mercy killing is not a moral issue, its a crime,crime can not be judged as a moral issue, just like picking your nose cant be judged as regional fascination.

Pure unadultared bias and subjectivity. Can't you see that that opinion is true for you, and that someone else could have another opinion? On what grounds can you claim that your opinion is correct, universally? You call mercy killing a crime, Al Sibn Muhammad calls it a moral duty. Why are you right? ...I can't belive that intelligent people still think this way.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 03:21 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Removing the monetary system wouldn't specifically address economic inequality, I agree, but the alternative to the system would specifically address economic inequality. The division of labor is already being replaced with robotics and automation. Once AI becomes more advanced and automation takes over the service industry, then all hell will break loose. If you want to talk about not supporting the division of labor, talk about that. I, however, embrace the development of these technologies as a way to move on to a new phase of economics that has nothing to do with monetary exchange for goods and services.

You're an anarchist, correct?

I see robotics and automation enhancing our way of life, but I don't see it replacing the division of labor. If anything we have become more and more specialized as technology has advanced. Nevertheless, the post-scarcity economy that you speak of could certainly do without money as there would be no exchange.

And yes, I am an anarchist.
BrightNoon

Reply Mon 25 May, 2009 04:30 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Maybe I'm missing something, but if there is still a dvision of labor, there is still labor, and if there is still labor, wouldn't there have to be exchange? Even in a completely communistic system, where all goods and services and appropriated and then distributed by the government, isn't it simply more efficient to use money or some token instead of raw goods for all exchanges between individual and state? Is the worker going to be given hundreds of pounds of food every week, or given money or some other kind of ticket, card or token with which to go 'buy' the food at a local distribution point?
xris

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 03:20 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Pure unadultared bias and subjectivity. Can't you see that that opinion is true for you, and that someone else could have another opinion? On what grounds can you claim that your opinion is correct, universally? You call mercy killing a crime, Al Sibn Muhammad calls it a moral duty. Why are you right? ...I can't belive that intelligent people still think this way.
I dont care who calls it what,morality is not something that be claimed by any individual or set of individuals.If you wish to punish someone for breaking your code of ethics thats local law not morals.Morals are not a point of view or a sign of your depravity, they rise above those mortal weaknesses.You can fine tune the details by reasonable debate but not the foundations.Slavery is not a moral obligation never was and never will be no matter who claims it to be.
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 05:24 am
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
Maybe I'm missing something, but if there is still a dvision of labor, there is still labor, and if there is still labor, wouldn't there have to be exchange? Even in a completely communistic system, where all goods and services and appropriated and then distributed by the government, isn't it simply more efficient to use money or some token instead of raw goods for all exchanges between individual and state? Is the worker going to be given hundreds of pounds of food every week, or given money or some other kind of ticket, card or token with which to go 'buy' the food at a local distribution point?

Labor doesn't entail currency, as someone can labor in complete isolation, but the division of labor generally does entail currency as a coincidence of wants would be hard to come by without at least some ticket of exchange.

As for the rest, yes, I would say you are correct.

But Hue-man is operating on a utopian vision where there is no scarcity. I doubt he really quite grasps the economic concept of scarcity. Most people don't realize that scarcity in economics is not the same as scarcity in general.
EmperorNero

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 06:36 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;65080 wrote:
Most people don't realize that scarcity in economics is not the same as scarcity in general.

I don't. Wink Would you care to explain.
hue-man

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:09 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon wrote:
That it not what I'm saying. Anyone can judge anyone else's morality to be wrong because it does not agree with their morality, or because it does not agree what some people believe to be a universal morality, like that in the U.N. declaration. In the same way, I can state with absolute confidence that the TV works because there's a little man inside pulling wires. In other words, you can judge that the values of cultures that allow honor killing, e.g., are bad because you value not harming as a good; i never said you couldn't. I'm just saying that the argument you could make as to why that culture's value was wrong, or why yours is right, is no more logically sound than the opposite argument with which that culture could rebut yours. Hence the name, relativism. It seems that you think that I am justifying any conduct. I am not. I have my own personal morality, and I might reccomend it to others, but I won't declare that it is THE correct morality. Some people would, but those people fail to see the inherent flaw in their logic. Your argument that moral relativism, goes wrong because it might "justify things like honor killing killings of women, rape and murder of toddlers stealing, terrorism, etc." is a circular argument, which presumes that those things are wrong; they are wrong only to those that believe them to be wrong. But again, that dosen't mean you can't object, you just can't logically claim that they are absolutely wrong, per se. No event or action has any value per se; things acquire value or meaning only from a perspective, and there are always discordant perspectives.

You can do all of those things, but those 'should statements' are no more correct than the opposite; i.e. they are correct only for those who believe them.

That's a contradiction. If a 'unversal moral' is a value which equally benefits all who choose to value it, but not everyone has to value such values, then how can it be equally beneficial to everyone? For example. In Algeria there's a guy who want to kill a women because she dishonored the family; he wants to do this more than anything else in the world; he will feel unending shame if he does not. From his perspective, he would be harmed by having that value imposed on him, by the police let say, who prevent him from committing the honor killing. Unless everyone agrees on morality, any universal morailty will always benefit some and harm others, as benefit and harm are defined from their perspectives. Just like morals, there are no universal or absolute standards for harm and benefit; x event might harm bob, but it might benefit john.

My quarrel with moral relativism is that 1. relativists often confuse descriptive ethics with prescriptive ethics, and only deal with the former; 2. relativism is not a moral theory to begin with; and 3. I believe that it's nihilism masquerading as theory. Meta-ethical substantial theories are meant to ask the question: "What is the nature of moral judgments", and the logical conclusion of relativism is to suspend judgment, but of course some relativists try to ignore this conclusion. Some will say "I can still judge people's behavior by my moral standards", but this eventually leads to contradiction and hypocrisy. If you believe that there is no universal standard to judge morality by, then it is ridiculous to argue against what you believe to be immoral.

Example of moral universalism: "All people should be treated equally".

Example of moral relativism: "All men should be treated equally, but all women should be treated secondly to men."

Example of moral universalism: "I won't treat you badly if you don't treat me badly."

Example of moral relativism: "I want you to treat me kindly but I want to treat you badly."

Examples like the one you gave of the man who wants to kill his wife for adultery is an example of the negation of morality in favor of a sadistic, egoist relativism; and the protection of the wife's life is an example of moral universalism overriding relativist egoism. The man feels that it would cause him emotional harm if he doesn't kill her, and yet he ignores the harm he is causing her by killing her. This is as sadistic and egoistic as relativism can get. This is not morality at all, but the negation of it; nihilism masquerading as theory.

You're still dealing with descriptive ethics, but what about prescriptive ethics? Oh that's right; you can't justify the prescription of any ethical system if you follow the logical conclusion of moral relativism. Relativism makes no judgment of right and wrong, and logically concludes to the negation of such judgments since moral judgments cannot be justified according to relativism. If you cannot propose an ethical system, or justify it, then we have nothing more to debate about.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:09 PM ----------

Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
Labor doesn't entail currency, as someone can labor in complete isolation, but the division of labor generally does entail currency as a coincidence of wants would be hard to come by without at least some ticket of exchange.

As for the rest, yes, I would say you are correct.

But Hue-man is operating on a utopian vision where there is no scarcity. I doubt he really quite grasps the economic concept of scarcity. Most people don't realize that scarcity in economics is not the same as scarcity in general.

When did I ever say that some resources will never be scarce? Are you intentionally misreading me or what?

You throw this word utopia around without actually stating its definition, and I never said that I believed that my idea was utopian. A utopia is a perfect society with no problems whatsoever, and everyone is happy and gets along all of the time. I don't believe that that's possible. My idea is for a better, more just society, not a perfect society.
0 Replies