Is Capitalism Moral?

EmperorNero

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 12:26 pm
@hue-man,
Actually, a good example of a post-scarcity system, that we got going today already is the free software movement.
I am typing this using mozilla firefox on ubuntu. All downloadable for free.

The open-source and free software movements are communities where everybody adds what they feel like and the products can just be had for free.
It seems to work for software, though it is in question if that will be the case after the thrill of showing off the big software companies has worn off.
Also I doubt it's that easy with physical products.

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:26 PM ----------

hue-man;65117 wrote:
When did I ever say that some resources will never be scarce?

But unless we got post-scarcity going, your proposals will not work, right?
No monetary system...
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 07:09 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;65086 wrote:
I don't. Wink Would you care to explain.

Economic scarcity is best understood by the existence of sacrifice. If some good has more possible enjoyments than it can physically fulfill, it is considered economically scarce.

---------- Post added at 09:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

hue-man;65117 wrote:
You throw this word utopia around without actually stating its definition, and I never said that I believed that my idea was utopian. A utopia is a perfect society with no problems whatsoever, and everyone is happy and gets along all of the time. I don't believe that that's possible. My idea is for a better, more just society, not a perfect society.

A post-scarcity society is a society without economic problems as all economic problems derive from the inability to meet scarce resources with wants that are not bound by scarcity.

Post-scarcity is an economic utopia.
hue-man

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:37 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;65361 wrote:
A post-scarcity society is a society without economic problems as all economic problems derive from the inability to meet scarce resources with wants that are not bound by scarcity.

Post-scarcity is an economic utopia.

An economic utopia; I'm not sure that there wouldn't be anymore economic problems, like over-population or depleted resources. Is it possible that future technology could lead us to a society without economic problems; I'd like to think so, but who knows? Post-scarcity is somewhat of a misleading term because it implies that resources will never be scarce. Post-scarcity economics deals more with the effective management and distribution of resources.
EmperorNero

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 09:45 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;65383 wrote:
An economic utopia; I'm not sure that there wouldn't be anymore economic problems, like over-population or depleted resources. Is it possible that future technology could lead us to a society without economic problems; I'd like to think so, but who knows? Post-scarcity is somewhat of a misleading term because it implies that resources will never be scarce. Post-scarcity economics deals more with the effective management and distribution of resources.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the idea that without a distribution system that can manage scarcity, your proposal is dependent on the non existence of scarcity to function. If there is scarcity, how will you manage that in your idea?
hue-man

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 10:00 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero;65385 wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I get the idea that without a distribution system that can manage scarcity, your proposal is dependent on the non existence of scarcity to function. If there is scarcity, how will you manage that in your idea?

I'm proposing a manufacturing system and a distribution system that can manage resources with the use of technology that will make resources less scarce.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 10:23 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;65389 wrote:
I'm proposing a manufacturing system and a distribution system that can manage resources with the use of technology that will make resources less scarce.

Everyone is trying to do that (with the exception of your random luddite or religious group). The only way you are likely to be different is in trying to manage peoples wants.
hue-man

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:04 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;65395 wrote:
Everyone is trying to do that (with the exception of your random luddite or religious group). The only way you are likely to be different is in trying to manage peoples wants.

The only difference is the absence of the monetary system, which I believe would make resource management more of a central priority.
William

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:06 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power;65395 wrote:

People don't want. That is a programmed illusion. We have been "programmed" to want. That is precisely what feeds capitalism. Freedom is about accessing unalienable human needs to live. And IMO you will be amazed at how very little that entails that will enable all to have an enjoyable life. Yes, there needs to be a reward system, but not one that is based on the value we place on that which is rare. That creates inequity that creates iniquity. If we put our minds together we can arrive at what that rewards system is that will be compatible with all that live on this planet. A rewards system free of animosity, envy and greed. People don't have to be controlled as to what they "want". That is the wildfire that is out of control as we assume all man is greedy and effort to satisfy that greed because of the profits is afford's. This system has little regard to resources and the needs of all people. We must strive to balance those resources the Earth offers and the needs of those people who live here. We have all we need to do that if we work and communicate together as a family. After all we are a family and the Earth is our home. We must have respect for that home and those people. The number one truth is this Earth is NOT FOR SALE. It is to be own by none and shared by all.:detective:

William

hue-man

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:16 am
@William,
To all who have posted in this thread, below is a link to a new thread that I posted in the uncategorized board. The topic deals more with the philosophy of economics, philosophy of technology, and a little political philosophy as well. It's a paper about the developments in the field of artificial intelligence and its economic consequences. I put it in the uncategorized forum because it deals more with the former categories, and there are no forums for those categories.

http://www.philosophyforum.com/forum/philosophy-forums/branches-philosophy/uncategorized/4576-artificial-intelligence-employment-income.html
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 11:24 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;65399 wrote:
The only difference is the absence of the monetary system, which I believe would make resource management more of a central priority.

I don't understand why though.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 02:32 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;65399 wrote:

I don't remember you mentioning how having no monetary system is supposed to work.
You were only referring to abolishing scarcity and hence having no need for a system of allocation.
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:00 pm
@William,
William;65400 wrote:
People don't want. That is a programmed illusion. We have been "programmed" to want. That is precisely what feeds capitalism. Freedom is about accessing unalienable human needs to live. And IMO you will be amazed at how very little that entails that will enable all to have an enjoyable life. Yes, there needs to be a reward system, but not one that is based on the value we place on that which is rare. That creates inequity that creates iniquity. If we put our minds together we can arrive at what that rewards system is that will be compatible with all that live on this planet. A rewards system free of animosity, envy and greed. People don't have to be controlled as to what they "want". That is the wildfire that is out of control as we assume all man is greedy and effort to satisfy that greed because of the profits is afford's. This system has little regard to resources and the needs of all people. We must strive to balance those resources the Earth offers and the needs of those people who live here. We have all we need to do that if we work and communicate together as a family. After all we are a family and the Earth is our home. We must have respect for that home and those people. The number one truth is this Earth is NOT FOR SALE. It is to be own by none and shared by all.:detective:

William

I want, you want, people want. You are simply wrong. We do not covet things only because they are rare. For example, I love feta cheese...not very rare. Just because you institute a regime that announces the end of desire, and then procedes to decide what everyone 'needs,' does not mean that there won't be many people who want things they don't 'need.'
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:59 pm
@BrightNoon,
Right, BrightNoon. Desire cannot be ended by decree. Controlling desire takes practice.
William

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:14 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;65441 wrote:
I want, you want, people want. You are simply wrong. We do not covet things only because they are rare. For example, I love feta cheese...not very rare. Just because you institute a regime that announces the end of desire, and then procedes to decide what everyone 'needs,' does not mean that there won't be many people who want things they don't 'need.'

In all due respect, what you deem "simply wrong" is based on your opinion of what is right and wrong. Wrong is wrong, period, and it should not be relative issue. That's our problem. You are speaking in absolutes and there aren't any. Unbridled desire is very much a problem. We are daily inundated with artificially induced stimuli through the miracle of the multi media and the advertising that supports it to, to "want" entirely more than we need. Your attempt to trivialize the seriousness of my post with the "feta cheese" analogy, IMO, is an attempt to discredit it based on your opinion. I appreciate that, but please if you going to truly challenge the logic of my post, you are going to have to do better than that.

William
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:18 pm
@William,
William, it is true that our society conditions people to desire a great many things. I agree with you: there are very serious cultural problems associated with desire.

However, it is also true that people do want, people do have desires. Cultural forces may exacerbate desires and create new desires among people, but it does not follow that desires are nothing more than "programmed illusion".
0 Replies

William

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 06:50 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;65450 wrote:
Right, BrightNoon. Desire cannot be ended by decree. Controlling desire takes practice.

You are absolutely right. It cannot be force. That's were temptation rears it's ugly head and the media is saturated when the knowledge it needs to master the art of temptation. When it comes to the needs of people should not involve "desire". Needs are what people need to enjoy and live life. Look at you closets, attic's and storage units and landfills as we learn often too late what these artificially induce stimuli lead to: WASTE. We by majority, will dictate what those needs are without any stimulation whatsoever. Willpower has nothing to do with needs. Those are innate. IMO. But you are right. Controlling desire does take practice in this reality. But needs and wants are two entirely different things. I consider you a learned man when it comes to religious interpretations and one cannot ignore some of the truths that are espoused there. "...lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil..." is IMO, a truth that cannot be denied. This reality is rift with temptation. It is saturated with it.

William

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 PM ----------

Didymos Thomas;65457 wrote:

However, it is also true that people do want, people do have desires. Cultural forces may exacerbate desires and create new desires among people, but it does not follow that desires are nothing more than "programmed illusion".

Desire, IMO, is a product of temptation and should only exist except in that innate desire man and woman have for each other and that is as universal as it comes. Desire in any other context, gets us into serious trouble and is artificially induce. It has everything to do with programming and it has been going on for millenniums to the point that we are programmed to believe desire is an innate part of man's innate programming. Desire is associate with "pleasure" and unbridled desire leads to unbridled hedonism. There is no satisfying it. Pleasure is a product of desire; happiness is when our needs are satisfied. It has come to the point to where we do not know one from the other as we associate happiness with pleasure as being the same thing. Happiness in a "mind" thing, pleasure is purely physical, and can reach saturation, where happiness is a universal construct and what life should be about.
Thanks for your comments,
William
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 08:45 pm
@William,
William;65453 wrote:
In all due respect, what you deem "simply wrong" is based on your opinion of what is right and wrong. Wrong is wrong, period, and it should not be relative issue. That's our problem. You are speaking in absolutes and there aren't any. Unbridled desire is very much a problem. We are daily inundated with artificially induced stimuli through the miracle of the multi media and the advertising that supports it to, to "want" entirely more than we need. Your attempt to trivialize the seriousness of my post with the "feta cheese" analogy, IMO, is an attempt to discredit it based on your opinion. I appreciate that, but please if you going to truly challenge the logic of my post, you are going to have to do better than that.

William

I didn't mean morally wrong, I meant factually incorrect. I've never seen the brave new world you're talking about, but, if it is reasonable to use all of human history thus far as a guide, there will never be a time when homo sapiens will not want, nor will they ever agree to want only those things which they have unanimously decided they need. I too find western consumerism to be vulgar, but I find collectivist aesceticism in the name of equality or the greater good more vulgar; in either case, its an aesthetic judgement, or a question of whether one values the individual or the group. As for feta cheese, what was trivial in my example? Let's say that in your ideal society, there is no feta cheese distributed equally amoung the people, but rather gorgonzola. I still like feta. Am I not displeased, are my desires not unsatisfied? Human desires will never be uniform, and any fixed determination of 'need' will only satisfy some of them. And no, answering that my love of feta cheese is the product of pragramming and indoctrination goes nowhere. There were people millenia ago who preferred feta cheese, people who never saw a TV or went to public school. The fact that our desires are shaped by modern propoganda organs does not prove that those desires are invalid, only aestheticall displeasing to you, and me to some extent.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 08:00 am
@William,
William;65400 wrote:

William

That is a blatant disregard of reality. People affirm that they want by action.

If people did not want, they would not act.

People act.

---------- Post added at 10:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 AM ----------

William;65453 wrote:
In all due respect, what you deem "simply wrong" is based on your opinion of what is right and wrong.

Right back at ya.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:05 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;65474 wrote:
I didn't mean morally wrong, I meant factually incorrect. I've never seen the brave new world you're talking about, but, if it is reasonable to use all of human history thus far as a guide, there will never be a time when homo sapiens will not want, nor will they ever agree to want only those things which they have unanimously decided they need. I too find western consumerism to be vulgar, but I find collectivist aesceticism in the name of equality or the greater good more vulgar; in either case, its an aesthetic judgement, or a question of whether one values the individual or the group. As for feta cheese, what was trivial in my example? Let's say that in your ideal society, there is no feta cheese distributed equally amoung the people, but rather gorgonzola. I still like feta. Am I not displeased, are my desires not unsatisfied? Human desires will never be uniform, and any fixed determination of 'need' will only satisfy some of them. And no, answering that my love of feta cheese is the product of pragramming and indoctrination goes nowhere. There were people millenia ago who preferred feta cheese, people who never saw a TV or went to public school. The fact that our desires are shaped by modern propoganda organs does not prove that those desires are invalid, only aestheticall displeasing to you, and me to some extent.

It's not an aesthetic issue; it's an ethical issue. The love of feta-chesse has the tendency to lead to health problems. Health problems are not good or conducive to the body or the mind. The over-prioritization of material goods (greed and superficiality) is not conducive to actual happiness or ultimate goodness, and that is a fact. Knowing and understanding human psychology helps us understand what is conducive to our overall well being, and economic materialism, superficiality, and greed are not it. Superficial (bad) values are mainly induced by the monetary system, capitalism, and advertisement.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 12:46 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;65571 wrote:
It's not an aesthetic issue; it's an ethical issue. The love of feta-chesse has the tendency to lead to health problems. Health problems are not good or conducive to the body or the mind. The over-prioritization of material goods (greed and superficiality) is not conducive to actual happiness or ultimate goodness, and that is a fact. Knowing and understanding human psychology helps us understand what is conducive to our overall well being, and economic materialism, superficiality, and greed are not it. Superficial (bad) values are mainly induced by the monetary system, capitalism, and advertisement.

Health is not a good in itself, it must first be valued by the person and you cannot input your values onto another person.

For someone who has railed against absolute morals, you are way too ready to determine what values are superficial or real, bad or good.