Is Capitalism Moral?

hue-man

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 07:39 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
What a wonderful evocative word that is, freedom.So many times it has been used without any recall to the consequences ones freedom has upon another's freedom.
How could one disagree with that word and call yourself an American?Well i expect a few thousand native Americans and the descendants of slaves might just question that long held revered notion.This magic word was being banded around when black men where enslaved and native americans where still loosing their land.
One mans freedom to extort, manipulate,rob,exploit is another mans chains.Freedom has rules and to use the word as if it lifts your opinion above others is political propaganda of the lowest kind.

That's exactly my point. If one man's freedom equals another man's inequity or suffering, even if indirect, how can we consider that to be a universal good?

---------- Post added at 09:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 AM ----------

BrightNoon wrote:
As I said, a libertarian system allows for maximum freedom, not anarchy, because anarchy is not stable. Yes, if everyone could coexist without the use of force to achieve their objective, anarchy would enable maximum freedom; but anarchy always evolves into a new order, usually some violence based feudal or clannish system, which obviously allows for alot less freedom than libertarianism. Also, freedom and equality are mutually exclusive, unless everyone just happens to be equal from birth, which onviously does not ever happen. In other words, for everyone to be equal, force has to be used against the more wealthy or more able or otherwise 'better' people in order to either lower them outright, or appropriate their resources to hand to the 'lesser' people (I'm not using those words in a derogotory sense, I mean better and lesser in terms of merit, ability, which social group that happened to be born into, etc.). That is by definition a loss of freedom for the 'better' people, and generally leads to a loss of freedom in practice for the others as well, in that welfare of any sort tends to lead to dependence, not prosperity.

Well, like you said, freedom should apply to all social systems, whether it be economic, legal, political, etc. I believe that both freedom and equality should apply to all social systems, whether it be legal, political, or economic. I'm an egalitarian.
EmperorNero

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 08:31 am
@hue-man,
xris;62159 wrote:
What a wonderful evocative word that is, freedom.So many times it has been used without any recall to the consequences ones freedom has upon another's freedom.
How could one disagree with that word and call yourself an American?Well i expect a few thousand native Americans and the descendants of slaves might just question that long held revered notion.This magic word was being banded around when black men where enslaved and native americans where still loosing their land.
One mans freedom to extort, manipulate,rob,exploit is another mans chains.Freedom has rules and to use the word as if it lifts your opinion above others is political propaganda of the lowest kind.

hue-man;62166 wrote:
That's exactly my point. If one man's freedom equals another man's inequity or suffering, even if indirect, how can we consider that to be a universal good?

Does a historic injustice somehow make freedom a silly idea? I don't have slaves, neither did any of my ancestors.
How am I responsible for others creating inequity or suffering? I can still advocate freedom.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 09:34 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:

You toss around these vapid platitudes (seriously, which one of us supports the freedom to harm others, free market ethics are built upon non-aggression) without ever providing justification for your claims.

I know what you think, you have repeated that ad nauseum, for me to care about that, I need to know why you think it.
xris

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 11:36 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Could not have said it better.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 01:43 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
You toss around these vapid platitudes (seriously, which one of us supports the freedom to harm others, free market ethics are built upon non-aggression) without ever providing justification for your claims.

I know what you think, you have repeated that ad nauseum, for me to care about that, I need to know why you think it.

Well if you don't consider anything I said to be justification for why I consider capitalism to be intrinsically immoral then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not talking about aggression in the free market. I'm talking about inequality and unfairness in the free market. That statement demonstrates that you don't get my point at all. You don't have to agree with me, but at least try to understand me.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

xris wrote:
Could not have said it better.

I'm confused. Where do you stand on this subject?
xris

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 01:52 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:

I am amazed that you cant see that your comments are a reflection of your own statements.I tried creating a reaction in you by agreeing out of place to stir some kind of thoughts to your reply but alas it failed.This type of comment is not appropriate, why do you think the way you do?
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 01:53 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
Does a historic injustice somehow make freedom a silly idea? I don't have slaves, neither did any of my ancestors.
How am I responsible for others creating inequity or suffering? I can still advocate freedom.

Of course you can still advocate freedom. Even if your ancestors did own slaves, that doesn't mean that you should bear their burden. I don't know what that has to do with my point about one man's freedom equaling another man's inequities. I was referring to the capitalist system's dependency on economic class structures & economic inequality, and its causing of poverty and unemployment.
xris

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 01:56 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Well if you don't consider anything I said to be justification for why I consider capitalism to be intrinsically immoral then you haven't been paying attention. I'm not talking about aggression in the free market. I'm talking about inequality and unfairness in the free market. That statement demonstrates that you don't get my point at all. You don't have to agree with me, but at least try to understand me.

---------- Post added at 03:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 PM ----------

I'm confused. Where do you stand on this subject?
Im with you completely Ive waited for him to respond to my post.Sorry if it was distressing but sometimes post after post can never instill my real feelings.I tried reversing his thought patterns but to no avail.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Can those who advocate this wonderful notion of freedom explain in a philosophical and practical sense what it means to them? I think how we see freedom is how we associate it to others right to freedom.
A murderer would love to have the freedom to commit his crimes.
An orphan child in Africa would love the freedom to be happy.
A motor cyclist would love the freedom to ride without his helmet:perplexed:
Freedom...
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 02:25 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;62202 wrote:
I don't know what that has to do with my point about one man's freedom equaling another man's inequities. I was referring to the capitalist system's dependency on economic class structures & economic inequality, and its causing of poverty and unemployment.

There are supposed to be no classes in a free market system, that means the system has been corrupted, so you can't blame capitalism for it.
You can't really say "humans have been collectivist throughout it's history, so taking freedoms is ok."

Pretty much all your freedoms and privileges are another mans inequities. What's the alternative?

By wanting transportation, food or all the other modern commodities, you know are responsible for others inequities. You know that it is inevitable. The desire for transportation is nothing else than, to put it frankly, the desire for the oppression of a large part of the world population.

Maybe this clears it up, I wrote it before I saw this response of yours:

I agree, this is the same for using oil products. Which is your entire lifestyle.

In order to understand why oil is so important to our economy and our daily lives, we have to understand something about what it does for us. We value any source of energy because we can harness it to do work for us. For example, every time you turn on a 100-watt light bulb, it is the same as if you had a fit human being in the basement, pedaling as hard as they could to keep that bulb lit. That is how much energy a single light bulb uses. In the background, while you run water, take hot showers, and vacuum the floor, it is as if your house is employing the services of 50 such extremely fit bike riders. This "slave count," if you will, exceeds that of kings in times past. It can truly be said that we are all living like kings. Although we may not appreciate that, because it all seems so ordinary that we take it for granted.

And how much 'work' is embodied in a gallon of gasoline, our most favorite substance of them all? Well, if you put a single gallon in a car, drove it until it ran out, and then turned around and pushed the car home, you'd find out. It turns out that a gallon of gas has the equivalent energy of 500 hours of hard human labor, or 12-1/2 forty-hour work weeks.

So how much is a gallon of gas worth? $4? $10? If you wanted to pay this poor man $15 an hour to push your car home, then we might value a gallon of gas at $7,500.

Here's another example. It has been calculated that the amount of food that average North America citizen consumes in year requires the equivalent of 400 gallons of petroleum to produce and ship.

At $4/gallon, that works out to $1600 of your yearly food bill spent on fuel, which doesn't sound too extreme. However, when we consider that those 400 gallons represent the energy equivalent of 100 humans working year round at 40 hours a week, then it takes on an entirely different meaning. This puts your diet well out of the reach of most kings of times past.

When we first came to this country, we were finding some pretty spectacular things just lying around, like this copper nugget. Soon those were all gone, and then we were onto smaller nuggets, and then onto copper ores that had the highest concentrations. Now?

Now we have things like the Bingham canyon mine in Utah. It is two and a half miles across and three-fourths of a mile deep, and it started out as a mountain. It sports a final ore concentration of 0.2%. Do you think we'd have gone to this effort if there were still massive copper nuggets lying around in stream beds? No way.

Let's take a closer look. See that truckway down there? It's fueled by petroleum; diesel, specifically. If we couldn't spare the fuel to run that truck, what do you suppose we'd carry the ore out with? Donkeys? These trucks carry 255 tons/ per load. Suppose a donkey could carry 150 lbs. This means this truck carries the same in a single load as 3,400 donkeys. That's quite a lot of donkeys.

Copper. What is the computer you are typing on right now made of? The wiring in the walls to bring you electricity, the wiring of the factory that produced the clothes you have on?
All you eat, have, are, can and do depends on oil. If oil were distributed equally on earth, you could not drive a car, you could not have the leisure time to post this and you would have a very limited diet. Supporting immorality is a necessary component for almost everything you do. It is a 100% certainty that without harm to others, you could not have it.

And since roughly 80% of the world population are excluded from having those "oil slaves", you are in a way stealing their slaves, or someone else is to sell the slaves to you.
You can only have the life you have, because someone or something (a political system etc.) is restricting others from having it. So you have to support immorality for everything you do. Eating a sandwich is immoral, driving your kids to soccer practice is immoral, studying is immoral, and spending leisure time debating ethics on your computer is the height of immoral behavior. I don't even want to get into the moral implications of producing that computer.

So unless you are going to live like diogenes of sinope, you're bound to be a hypocrite.
xris

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 02:56 pm
@EmperorNero,
Don't you understand the degrees of morality are more defined than your trivia.Employing someone and giving them a living wage is not immoral, eating your tea while African children die of starvation is not immoral.
Condoning the abuse of African children and not trying to help is immoral.Employing someone and not paying them a living wage is immoral.
Instead of continually changing the debate away from what you see as too difficult, why dont you answer the questions posed.
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Sat 9 May, 2009 04:04 pm
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
There are supposed to be no classes in a free market system, that means the system has been corrupted, so you can't blame capitalism for it.
You can't really say "humans have been collectivist throughout it's history, so taking freedoms is ok."

Pretty much all your freedoms and privileges are another mans inequities. What's the alternative?

By wanting transportation, food or all the other modern commodities, you know are responsible for others inequities. You know that it is inevitable. The desire for transportation is nothing else than, to put it frankly, the desire for the oppression of a large part of the world population.

Maybe this clears it up, I wrote it before I saw this response of yours:

I agree, this is the same for using oil products. Which is your entire lifestyle.

In order to understand why oil is so important to our economy and our daily lives, we have to understand something about what it does for us. We value any source of energy because we can harness it to do work for us. For example, every time you turn on a 100-watt light bulb, it is the same as if you had a fit human being in the basement, pedaling as hard as they could to keep that bulb lit. That is how much energy a single light bulb uses. In the background, while you run water, take hot showers, and vacuum the floor, it is as if your house is employing the services of 50 such extremely fit bike riders. This "slave count," if you will, exceeds that of kings in times past. It can truly be said that we are all living like kings. Although we may not appreciate that, because it all seems so ordinary that we take it for granted.

And how much 'work' is embodied in a gallon of gasoline, our most favorite substance of them all? Well, if you put a single gallon in a car, drove it until it ran out, and then turned around and pushed the car home, you'd find out. It turns out that a gallon of gas has the equivalent energy of 500 hours of hard human labor, or 12-1/2 forty-hour work weeks.

So how much is a gallon of gas worth? $4? $10? If you wanted to pay this poor man $15 an hour to push your car home, then we might value a gallon of gas at $7,500.

Here's another example. It has been calculated that the amount of food that average North America citizen consumes in year requires the equivalent of 400 gallons of petroleum to produce and ship.

At $4/gallon, that works out to $1600 of your yearly food bill spent on fuel, which doesn't sound too extreme. However, when we consider that those 400 gallons represent the energy equivalent of 100 humans working year round at 40 hours a week, then it takes on an entirely different meaning. This puts your diet well out of the reach of most kings of times past.

When we first came to this country, we were finding some pretty spectacular things just lying around, like this copper nugget. Soon those were all gone, and then we were onto smaller nuggets, and then onto copper ores that had the highest concentrations. Now?

Now we have things like the Bingham canyon mine in Utah. It is two and a half miles across and three-fourths of a mile deep, and it started out as a mountain. It sports a final ore concentration of 0.2%. Do you think we'd have gone to this effort if there were still massive copper nuggets lying around in stream beds? No way.

Let's take a closer look. See that truckway down there? It's fueled by petroleum; diesel, specifically. If we couldn't spare the fuel to run that truck, what do you suppose we'd carry the ore out with? Donkeys? These trucks carry 255 tons/ per load. Suppose a donkey could carry 150 lbs. This means this truck carries the same in a single load as 3,400 donkeys. That's quite a lot of donkeys.

Copper. What is the computer you are typing on right now made of? The wiring in the walls to bring you electricity, the wiring of the factory that produced the clothes you have on?
All you eat, have, are, can and do depends on oil. If oil were distributed equally on earth, you could not drive a car, you could not have the leisure time to post this and you would have a very limited diet. Supporting immorality is a necessary component for almost everything you do. It is a 100% certainty that without harm to others, you could not have it.

And since roughly 80% of the world population are excluded from having those "oil slaves", you are in a way stealing their slaves, or someone else is to sell the slaves to you.
You can only have the life you have, because someone or something (a political system etc.) is restricting others from having it. So you have to support immorality for everything you do. Eating a sandwich is immoral, driving your kids to soccer practice is immoral, studying is immoral, and spending leisure time debating ethics on your computer is the height of immoral behavior. I don't even want to get into the moral implications of producing that computer.

So unless you are going to live like diogenes of sinope, you're bound to be a hypocrite.

Everything you've just stated amounts to the reason why I believe we should discard the monetary system for a resource based economic system that equally distributes goods and services. From what you've just stated, you seem to have an apathetic and egoistic attitude towards economic inequality and poverty. Your answer is to embrace the intrinsic immorality of the system if it makes your life better.

I have a question for you . . . do you consider fairness to be right or wrong?
EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 06:43 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;62214 wrote:
Everything you've just stated amounts to the reason why I believe we should discard the monetary system for a resource based economic system that equally distributes goods and services. From what you've just stated, you seem to have an apathetic and egoistic attitude towards economic inequality and poverty. Your answer is to embrace the intrinsic immorality of the system if it makes your life better.

What I stated is not what is wrong with a free market, but what's wrong with government control. You are endorsing government control. How come?
Sorry if I seem smug, that's not my intention. I didn't read a lot of this thread.
A resource based economic system? What is that? If it is some sort of techno-leninism? I'm telling you that it wont work. It's only an excuse that is pretty popular in the internet these days for you to give up your freedoms. Some people need to hear that the planet is warming to sign away their freedoms, others need to hear that we could create some sort of techno equality utopia. Both are just pretty stories. And a thinking being will not believe something to be true because he wishes it to be true.

People won't stop being selfish jerks because they can have all the stuff they want. Scarcity could not be ended, and if it could, humanity would not suddenly be nice. Greed, bigotry and taking advantage of each others is not natural, fine. But the causes of those are not mediate need. Humanity become the dominant beast on the planet because it was the most efficient at surviving in a scarcity world. That will not change in a post-scarcity utopia. Even if it were possible.

hue-man;62214 wrote:
I have a question for you . . . do you consider fairness to be right or wrong?

I consider fairness to be right, of course. But the word doesn't mean anything any more. It is used as a wildcard excuse for unfairness and taking freedoms. Whenever I hear "fairness", I run the other way.

You got to differentiate between equality of opportunity (fairness) and equality of outcome (a stupid idea). "Fairness" just binds those two together, with a different meaning depending on situation.
"You don't like fairness (=equality of opportunity), so you must agree to more fairness (equality of outcome)".
hue-man

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 07:54 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
What I stated is not what is wrong with a free market, but what's wrong with government control. You are endorsing government control. How come?
Sorry if I seem smug, that's not my intention. I didn't read a lot of this thread.
A resource based economic system? What is that? If it is some sort of techno-leninism? I'm telling you that it wont work. It's only an excuse that is pretty popular in the internet these days for you to give up your freedoms. Some people need to hear that the planet is warming to sign away their freedoms, others need to hear that we could create some sort of techno equality utopia. Both are just pretty stories. And a thinking being will not believe something to be true because he wishes it to be true.

People won't stop being selfish jerks because they can have all the stuff they want. Scarcity could not be ended, and if it could, humanity would not suddenly be nice. Greed, bigotry and taking advantage of each others is not natural, fine. But the causes of those are not mediate need. Humanity become the dominant beast on the planet because it was the most efficient at surviving in a scarcity world. That will not change in a post-scarcity utopia. Even if it were possible.

Please don't give me any of those conspiracy theories about global warming being a way to take our freedoms away because there are evil politicians sitting being their desks plotting to take over the world. Let's just leave that alone.

I am not endorsing government control over people. My theory is based on less government control over people. In fact, my idea for a resource based economy is not the same as the governing system we have today. I believe we should abolish the political system and replace it with a communal based system that's based on scientific solutions to our problems. Its community based control over means of production and the equal distribution of goods and services. I also believe in having a legal system that applies to this type of society, with laws protecting the rights of persons against aggression and coercion. There would actually be less control over people in this type of society.

I'm not proposing a utopia, and I am aware that that's a cynical way to try and end an argument. I don't believe in a "perfect" society, especially when you consider the fact that people have their own ideas of perfection. I don't think everyone will be happy all of the time and there would be no problems. I just know that it would be a much better societal system than the one we have now.

You have an overly-cynical view of human nature. If human nature can be defined as anything, it should be defined as behavior that is shaped and molded by environment and experience. It is the environment that creates many of the behaviors that we find objectionable. I'm not really speaking of post-scarcity in the sense that resources will no longer be scarce. The idea of a resource based economy is to manage the scarcity in a more effective way.

EmperorNero wrote:
I consider fairness to be right, of course. But the word doesn't mean anything any more. It is used as a wildcard excuse for unfairness and taking freedoms. Whenever I hear "fairness", I run the other way.

You got to differentiate between equality of opportunity (fairness) and equality of outcome (a stupid idea). "Fairness" just binds those two together, with a different meaning depending on situation.
"You don't like fairness (=equality of opportunity), so you must agree to more fairness (equality of outcome)".

You need to calm down this right-wing phobia you have of government. Everyone should keep a watchful eye on the government, but you right-wingers just take it to another level, especially right now. Nobody's trying to take your rights.

You say that capitalism is based on equal opportunity, but I disagree. How can opportunity be equal if not everyone has equal access to capital and employment? If you consider fairness to be a right then you must consider unfairness to be a wrong. If the capitalist system is based on unfair conditions, doesn't that make it morally wrong? I mean besides the fact that the monetary system itself induces corruption and immorality.
Yogi DMT

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 08:58 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Some people, like Ayn Rand's moral objectivists :sarcastic:, say that free-market laissez-faire capitalism is moral because it fosters economic freedom and individualism or self-reliance. I believe that this negates two things. One is that freedom is not always synonymous with goodness and it's not always equal for everyone. Economic freedom seems to only benefit those who are fortunate enough to have the odds in their favor. People are born into economic classes and have no choice over what economic class they inherit. You also have issues such as employment and discrimination, which can affect whether or not a person can achieve the economic level of their choosing. The capitalist system is dependent upon economic inequality. Capitalism cannot survive without an economic class system that keeps certain people at a lower level than others. Therefore, capitalism can never be synonymous with equality, fairness, and impartiality.

Individualism or self-reliance ignores the fact that human beings are social animals, dependent upon each other for our long term survival. The scientific facts are on the side of collectivism, not individualism.

"Some problems said to be associated with capitalism include: unfair and inefficient distribution of wealth and power; a tendency toward market monopoly or oligopoly (and government by oligarchy); imperialism and various forms of economic and cultural exploitation; and phenomena such as social alienation, inequality, unemployment, and economic instability. Critics have maintained that there is an inherent tendency towards oligolopolistic structures when laissez-faire is combined with capitalist private property. Because of this tendency either laissez-faire, or private property, or both, have drawn fire from critics who believe an essential aspect of economic freedom is the extension of the freedom to have meaningful decision-making control over productive resources to everyone. Economist Branko Horvat asserts, "it is now well known that capitalist development leads to the concentration of capital, employment and power. It is somewhat less known that it leads to the almost complete destruction of economic freedom."[123] SMU Economics Professor and New York Times #1 best-selling author, Ravi Batra, has long maintained that excessive income and wealth inequalities are a fundamental cause of financial crisis and economic depression in the capitalist economy." - Capitalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I therefore conclude that capitalism is immoral.

I couldn't agree more except i think capitalism is partially immoral just has socialism. Like i said in a different post about capitalism, capitalism is a riskier system in which people can success and prosper and then people can also go on a downward spiral and likely go nowhere in their lives. Socialism is a much safer system in which there isn't as much freedom but the quality of life will be just above avergae, and just that for most people. There won't be as much rich and there won't be as much poor. To me the two econmic system seem to equal out and both will end up being partially immoral.
EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 09:01 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62271 wrote:
I couldn't agree more except i think capitalism is partially immoral just has socialism. Like i said in a different post about capitalism, capitalism is a riskier system in which people can success and prosper and then people can also go on a downward spiral and likely go nowhere in their lives. Socialism is a much safer system in which there isn't as much freedom but the quality of life will be just above avergae, and just that for most people. There won't be as much rich and there won't be as much poor. To me the two econmic system seem to equal out and both will end up being partially immoral.

So how can we justify dragging down the productive to create equality?
Krumple

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 09:16 am
@hue-man,
"The capitalist system is dependent upon economic inequality. Capitalism cannot survive without an economic class system that keeps certain people at a lower level than others. Therefore, capitalism can never be synonymous with equality, fairness, and impartiality.

Therefore I conclude that capitalism is immoral"

Well you are right that capitalism requires various levels to work. The part you are neglecting is that even though everyone wants to be the CEO, not everyone has the ambition, knowledge or ability to be the CEO. True open market capitalism does not in any way prevent anyone from reaching their goal. You are by no means set to be only in a certain level within the system. If you have the drive, the ambition to be more than your current level then by all means you can be. But not everyone has those goals or desires strong enough to fulfill them.

So not everyone should be treated like a CEO. Not everyone is willing to put in the same effort, study, work or responsibility to have the same pleasures as everyone else. Sure we are all created equal but that doesn't mean we all deserve the silver spoon by doing absolutely nothing for it.

A person who is born into a wealthy environment doesn't necessarily mean they will have it made. However; I will agree that they have a far easier time getting up in the world than someone at a lower economic level.

But I have far more respect for someone who started low and ended up high than a person who gets handed high without doing a damn thing for it. That goes for anyone who gets hand outs even at the lowest of economic levels.
0 Replies

EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:14 am
@hue-man,
hue-man;62267 wrote:
Please don't give me any of those conspiracy theories about global warming being a way to take our freedoms away because there are evil politicians sitting being their desks plotting to take over the world. Let's just leave that alone.

Okay, lets leave that aside.
227 families own half of the worlds wealth, and they are pretty good at lobbying governments.
Is it safe to assume that their influence has nothing to do with the pending laws telling you what car to drive and what lightbulb to use, in short controlling your life?
How about the push for reducing populations to a level that is easier to control?
But I'm ok with leaving that alone.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
I am not endorsing government control over people. My theory is based on less government control over people. In fact, my idea for a resource based economy is not the same as the governing system we have today. I believe we should abolish the political system and replace it with a communal based system that's based on scientific solutions to our problems. Its community based control over means of production and the equal distribution of goods and services.

I must admit that I don't really understand the concept of a resource based economy. When I search for it I usually come up with venus project type stuff. Would you mind explaining? (Or just linking to a post where you do.)

I'm not entirely closed to your ideas. It's basically a brand of anarchism, in the end I'm just another brand. Well, here are my objections.
1. Why do we need communities for less government control? Can we have that in larger states? Can most government objectives be on state level and there still be a federal government that has limited objections, as the US was intended?
2. Smaller communities are less effective than a centralized state. How to produce expensive scientific solutions in a community?
3. Your ideas are impossible because they would require the powerful to give up their influence.
4. Such a system would be vulnerable to the most unscrupulous snatching power.
5. Why get rid of a monetary system?

hue-man;62267 wrote:
I don't believe in a "perfect" society, especially when you consider the fact that people have their own ideas of perfection. I don't think everyone will be happy all of the time and there would be no problems. I just know that it would be a much better societal system than the one we have now.

I agree, but "real" capitalism without the intervention of collectivism would be a better system than we have today as well. That is explained pretty good in the last post by Krumple.
The government would only protect individual rights and grant equality of opportunity, from there everyone has the opportunity to and the productive are not dragged down to create equality. And it encourages productivity, which is beneficial to all humanity. Of course we can still help those who can't participate due to illness, bad luck, etc.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
You have an overly-cynical view of human nature. If human nature can be defined as anything, it should be defined as behavior that is shaped and molded by environment and experience. It is the environment that creates many of the behaviors that we find objectionable.

Human behavior is not what it is because of environment and experience. We are a beast that was entirely formed by the requirement to be the best at survival within scarcity. We don't steal bread because we are hungry and would stop because there is enough bread. Humans are bread-stealing-machines, that is our entire purpose. The belief that human behavior would change for the better when abolishing scarcity is leninism, and it has been shown over and over that that's just not what happens.

But it seems you are not a venus project type leninist. How would we better manage the scarcity? Does that just mean disincentivizing productivity so there is less to manage?

hue-man;62267 wrote:
I'm not really speaking of post-scarcity in the sense that resources will no longer be scarce. The idea of a resource based economy is to manage the scarcity in a more effective way.

Well, I hold the belief that a capitalist system is the best way to do so. Saying that products are distributed by greed within capitalism leaves out that that product was created due to the prospect of reward. There wouldn't be a product without greed.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
You say that capitalism is based on equal opportunity, but I disagree. How can opportunity be equal if not everyone has equal access to capital and employment?

Everyone does have access to opportunity in a real capitalist system. They don't because of governments putting up artificial barriers. (Right-wingers like me are for less government control.)

It is very important to distinguish equality of outcome and equality of opportunity. Lefties just throw around these terms as if everyone not having the same means this has to be due to inequal opportunity. Equal access and equal outcome are not the same.
On the other hand just giving stuff to people does not give them any more opportunities.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
If you consider fairness to be a right then you must consider unfairness to be a wrong.

I do.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
If the capitalist system is based on unfair conditions, doesn't that make it morally wrong?

If! And it is not. A capitalist system is in no way based on unfair conditions, that is a corruption of the capitalist system. (In my paranoid mind it is being corrupted by collectivists for the purpose of abolishing it.) The very basis of a capitalist system is that it is not based on unfair conditions. If you are going to make the case that this is impossible to achieve that is a fair point.

hue-man;62267 wrote:
I mean besides the fact that the monetary system itself induces corruption and immorality.

It does not. It works with those human attributes and uses it for the better. It is compatible with human nature. As opposed to collectivism that requires to force or indoctrinate humans to be what they are not.
Capitalism using the same principles as corruption and immorality does not mean it induces corruption and immorality.
Krumple

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 10:43 am
@EmperorNero,
Well I probably shouldn't have even posted my previous comment. Economics is not understood by the masses so easily and even I don't see how some of it's complexity effects other aspects.

However; I do know that you can not use the current economic system in the US as a model for a bad capitalist system, because it is flawed with government induced monopolies that destroy the free market and competitive advantage. We do not have a true free market and haven't had a competitive market for over 70 years.

To put it in easier terms. If there are no patent laws you would never see a piece of crap sitting on a shelf unless it was the only thing you could afford. But when there is only one company producing the product and you want that product, are you are the mercy of that company to produce a quality product.

It is why General Motors is a failing company. They produce crappy products no one wants but yet they expect you to buy it because "It's the American way" or "You are not patriotic if you don't buy domestic."

How about make a good product and people will buy it?

I know damn well under a socialist system you get nothing but half ass products with no option to buy something better. Companies don't compete for business so there is no incentive to produce a better product than your competitor so everything is made of the lowest possible quality.

I'm done...
0 Replies

Yogi DMT

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:07 am
@EmperorNero,
EmperorNero wrote:
So how can we justify dragging down the productive to create equality?

Some wealthier people are productive but in my opinion more lucky (Inheritance, background, and just pure luck that seems to favor people that are better off). Some less fortunate people are more productive than richer people, it's jus that can't get out of their inherited social caste, even though a social group isn't set in stone like in other countries, its clear enough to restrict many people.
EmperorNero

Reply Sun 10 May, 2009 11:46 am
@Yogi DMT,
Yogi DMT;62285 wrote:
Some wealthier people are productive but in my opinion more lucky (Inheritance, background, and just pure luck that seems to favor people that are better off). Some less fortunate people are more productive than richer people, it's jus that can't get out of their inherited social caste, even though a social group isn't set in stone like in other countries, its clear enough to restrict many people.

A real capitalist system rejects unfair advantages - social casts. Everyone would have the same chances to get ahead - equality of opportunity. What it does not offer is equality of outcome. I see nothing wrong with that. Also what's wrong with your children inheriting what you worked for? What you dislike is not an aspect of capitalism, but one that corrupts it.
0 Replies