1
   

Should prostitution be legal?

 
 
William
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 06:34 pm
@Pangloss,
Prostitution. Interesting word.

Considering the fact that we all offer ourselves for money for services rendered, what is a prostitute? Hell, let's face it, we are all for sale. In third world countries there are even "bodily organ merchants" who buy organs from healthy "living" people. We sell our sperm, blood and even our children if we think they have a chance of becoming famous. So what's the big deal about someone selling their professional, sexual expertise? If we can make a buck at it, we'll do it. I don't care what it is. Some even spend a fortune on gold, cars, and diamonds to express their love; telling your boss how great he or she looks today. As long as we are slaves to money, I am afraid prostitution is something we will just have to deal with.
Sorry for the scarcasm. Prostitution, legal or illegal, is still prostitution. I couldn't resist.

William
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Wed 14 Jan, 2009 09:39 pm
@William,
William wrote:
Prostitution. Interesting word.

Considering the fact that we all offer ourselves for money for services rendered, what is a prostitute? Hell, let's face it, we are all for sale. In third world countries there are even "bodily organ merchants" who buy organs from healthy "living" people. We sell our sperm, blood and even our children if we think they have a chance of becoming famous. So what's the big deal about someone selling their professional, sexual expertise? If we can make a buck at it, we'll do it. I don't care what it is. Some even spend a fortune on gold, cars, and diamonds to express their love; telling your boss how great he or she looks today. As long as we are slaves to money, I am afraid prostitution is something we will just have to deal with.
Sorry for the scarcasm. Prostitution, legal or illegal, is still prostitution. I couldn't resist.
William

You are correct that the selling of sex is only the selling of labor, but it is an extension of one injustice to one greater still... Economic injustice always results in sexual injustice... It is an attack on the last essential form of community... It has only the meaning of the final breakdown of society, where no morals hold meaning, and no relationship can be certain, and forms have become only forms without life in them... What sort of relationship does one have with a prostitute??? It is a financial relationship... What you buy is a moment of intimacy for a price... What do you get??? What lasting value can you take with you??? It is over before it is done... It has no meaning...It is the denial of meaning... It is demeaning...
hue-man
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 08:53 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
You are correct that the selling of sex is only the selling of labor, but it is an extension of one injustice to one greater still... Economic injustice always results in sexual injustice... It is an attack on the last essential form of community... It has only the meaning of the final breakdown of society, where no morals hold meaning, and no relationship can be certain, and forms have become only forms without life in them... What sort of relationship does one have with a prostitute??? It is a financial relationship... What you buy is a moment of intimacy for a price... What do you get??? What lasting value can you take with you??? It is over before it is done... It has no meaning...It is the denial of meaning... It is demeaning...


I don't see the selling of labor as an injustice, but don't worry - we'll have robots to do all of our real labor someday - lol.

I personally doubt that I would ever pay for sex, but your statement that it is the final breakdown of society, where no morals hold any meaning is ridiculous. What, do you think no one is going to get married anymore, because they can have sex with no strings attached? People don't get married or settle down because of sex. People already have sex with no strings attached, and they always have - prostitution just makes it easier.

The illegality of prostitution is a relatively new thing, and it has never been the end all of a civil society. The problems with our global society are crime, injustice, nation-state warfare, weapons of mass destruction, nationalism, racism, superstition, etc. etc; paying to have sex is not one of them. Prostitution is legal in Amsterdam and Greece, and I don't see their society breaking down. In fact, in Amsterdam people report a much greater sense of well being than in America.
nicodemus
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:00 am
@hue-man,
the idea of banning prostitution is rediculous. It has been socially unacceptable for the past milenia, has that stopped anyone...no. If its their body, its their choice as to whether or not they sell it to the highest bidder. While the morals of pimping are dubious at best, prostitution is just an act of desperation, like scab working. In fact, the truly morraly dubious act is trying to impose ones own morals on a large scale when these highborn conclusions endanger the livelihoods of thousands of people
hue-man
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:03 am
@nicodemus,
nicodemus wrote:
the idea of banning prostitution is rediculous. It has been socially unacceptable for the past milenia, has that stopped anyone...no. If its their body, its their choice as to whether or not they sell it to the highest bidder. While the morals of pimping are dubious at best, prostitution is just an act of desperation, like scab working. In fact, the truly morraly dubious act is trying to impose ones own morals on a large scale when these highborn conclusions endanger the livelihoods of thousands of people


I agree, but you do know that most legal prostitutes do it because they really like sex and the nature of the business? Have you ever seen the Cathouse on HBO - lol?
0 Replies
 
Icon
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:05 am
@Pangloss,
Pangloss wrote:
For prostitution and drugs, we aren't really making a whole lot of new laws. Just struggling with how best to enforce the original laws we came up with.

Maybe in your state.

I live in Austin Texas. They just decriminalized weed and have made it a minor offense worthy only of a citation if you possess less than an ounce.

Still, Austin has always been a rather liberal town. Even the prostitution here is rather under control because it is not frowned upon so much as laughed at. People are very accepting of all lifestyles but still make jokes at others expense. The thing is though that it is almost certain that those making jokes have something to be laughed at themselves.

Of course, our local celebrity also happens to be a tranny who dresses in womens night wear (lacy thongs and corsetts usually) and stands on the street corners of the main tourist areas greeting people with the words "welcome to austin" or "keep austin weird" written in sharpie across his bare bottom.

His name is Les. He ran for mayor a couple of times. Pulled in 19% - 36% of the vote actually. Almost won it one time but was beaten out by a few votes. Nice guy. Been to lunch with him a few times. He smells funny but he is actually quite brilliant.... also a millionaire.
0 Replies
 
avatar6v7
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:09 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
Prostitution is legal in Amsterdam and Greece, and I don't see their society breaking down. In fact, in Amsterdam people report a much greater sense of well being than in America.

Greek society is breaking down, if you have been paying attention to european news. Amsterdam has a whole host of problems and Amsterdam is happier because its people are wealthier and have better welfare than US citizens- nothing to do with prostitution or society.
hue-man wrote:
People already have sex with no strings attached, and they always have - prostitution just makes it easier.

Prostitution is the opposite of sex with no strings attached- it is dangerous, as you could get robbed or contract stds if you are a client, and a prostitute risks the same plus murder. Prostitutes in 999/1000 cases do so because of somthing that is entrapping them- drugs, poverty or organised crime. I very much doubt that you will find any prositutes who enjoy their work, and in many cases it amounts to alowing yourself to be raped for money.
hue-man wrote:

The illegality of prostitution is a relatively new thing, and it has never been the end all of a civil society.

Prositution has rarely been illegal historically, true, but it has almolst never been seens as moral. Alone, obviously, it isn't going to end society, but it is part of a far wider and more deadly materialism that has become an endemic problem in modern society.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:31 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
I don't see the selling of labor as an injustice, but don't worry - we'll have robots to do all of our real labor someday - lol.

I personally doubt that I would ever pay for sex, but your statement that it is the final breakdown of society, where no morals hold any meaning is ridiculous. What, do you think no one is going to get married anymore, because they can have sex with no strings attached? People don't get married or settle down because of sex. People already have sex with no strings attached, and they always have - prostitution just makes it easier.

The illegality of prostitution is a relatively new thing, and it has never been the end all of a civil society. The problems with our global society are crime, injustice, nation-state warfare, weapons of mass destruction, nationalism, racism, superstition, etc. etc; paying to have sex is not one of them. Prostitution is legal in Amsterdam and Greece, and I don't see their society breaking down. In fact, in Amsterdam people report a much greater sense of well being than in America.

Do you not agree that it is demeaning even if you don't do it??? Perhaps that is what it is meant to be, that the most personal and precious intimacy can be bought in a market place... So what value then has marriage... It is an empty form to many even while many struggle to make marriage work.. I would say the opposite of what you say, that the demeaning of sex is part and parcel of the demeaning of life across the board, and not just human life, but all life, and where crime is rampant, or rascism is rampant so is prostitution... When times are rough men desert women and women and children suffer most every industrial revolution, but people out of desparation sell sex and suffer violence as it is, in fact a form of violence... It is enjoyed exactly because it is not love, and only because it of an exchange of values is it not rape... And how does anyone know???Who can know if some one is not pimped out threatened with repe or violence to sell...Do you know if you watch porn that some duress is not involved, or does that make it better???I would look into Amsterdam if I were you; because I have heard that drug and sex shops have turned the whole red light areas into slums where no one wants to be, and few dare to go...
But, I don't expect people to be half moral, or moral in a single facet of their lives...I am not so irrational as the religious right...I don't expect people will accept any indignity, injustice and immorality in every aspect of their lives, and then be moral in their sexual relationships... I expect moral people will be moral across the board, and once they begin to justify injustice for others the whole society is done, whether they know it or not...
0 Replies
 
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 10:37 am
@avatar6v7,
avatar6v7 wrote:
Greek society is breaking down, if you have been paying attention to european news. Amsterdam has a whole host of problems and Amsterdam is happier because its people are wealthier and have better welfare than US citizens- nothing to do with prostitution or society.

Prostitution is the opposite of sex with no strings attached- it is dangerous, as you could get robbed or contract stds if you are a client, and a prostitute risks the same plus murder. Prostitutes in 999/1000 cases do so because of somthing that is entrapping them- drugs, poverty or organised crime. I very much doubt that you will find any prositutes who enjoy their work, and in many cases it amounts to alowing yourself to be raped for money.

Prositution has rarely been illegal historically, true, but it has almolst never been seens as moral. Alone, obviously, it isn't going to end society, but it is part of a far wider and more deadly materialism that has become an endemic problem in modern society.

Materialism yes; making an object of human beings and a commondity of intimacy... If it is not an act of love it is an act of violence... It hurts people, both people really; but it's purpose is to be demeaning to take from a person the essential meaning all people need to survive and be real to others... Then they are only a thing, a whore, a prostitute...
0 Replies
 
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Fri 26 Feb, 2010 02:20 am
@hue-man,
Imo prostetution should be legal. In Denmark when porn got legal, the rape rate would dramaticly drop.
I'm sure the sex slave trafficing would drop dramaticly too.
groundedspirit
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 04:17 pm
@HexHammer,
I haven't yet seen addressed here yet the reality of sex problems in marriages and the corresponding harm done to families.
Sex causes huge tensions in otherwise good relationships, leads to infidelity, breakdown of trust and eventual destruction of the family.
Legalizing and controlling prostitution could conceivably have significant benefits.
But of course this also requires redefining what many people's views on marriage are. A live-in sex slave. And one who has strike provisions.

GS
0 Replies
 
Emil
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:09 pm
@Mara phil,
Mara;41227 wrote:
I'll simply say, ether way people are going to do it, Legal or not, and fact wise when it comes to certain areas and age groups laws work like reverse-psychology.

Places were its legal to carry a gun - have lower crime rates
USA having the highest drinking age - Teens wanting to go out and drink more over other country's.
Smoking- Teens do it cause its cool and illegal for them to get any of it.

If you tell someone to not do something, chances are you probably just made them want to do it more. Its common knowledge to anyone with common understanding.


Do you have any kind of evidence for these claims?

The US is the worst country sorted by crime rates, and it is the only country that I know of that allows carrying guns.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:19 pm
@Emil,
Emil;133649 wrote:
Do you have any kind of evidence for these claims?

The US is the worst country sorted by crime rates, and it is the only country that I know of that allows carrying guns.


This is a fallacy.

If what you say is true, that higher crime rates are do to gun carrying then by all means states where there are carry laws should have higher crime rates. They don't. Just the opposite is true. States where gun carrying is illegal tend to have higher gun related crimes.

There is another reason why the US has higher crime rates. I bet it has to do with religion instead of guns themselves.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:33 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;133652 wrote:
This is a fallacy.

If what you say is true, that higher crime rates are do to gun carrying then by all means states where there are carry laws should have higher crime rates. They don't. Just the opposite is true. States where gun carrying is illegal tend to have higher gun related crimes.

There is another reason why the US has higher crime rates. I bet it has to do with religion instead of guns themselves.
I must disagree, in Cannada they have guns too, but not as great a crime rate.
Krumple
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 05:51 pm
@HexHammer,
HexHammer;133655 wrote:
I must disagree, in Cannada they have guns too, but not as great a crime rate.


Also Canadians are less religious than the US so if my theory that religion is the cause behind a majority of intolerance and violence then by all means Canada would reflect that by having less gun violence than the US.
sometime sun
 
  1  
Reply Sun 28 Feb, 2010 06:48 pm
@Krumple,
Q;Should prostitution be legal?
A;Legal for the legal, illegal for the illegal.
(what a funny word 'legal')
0 Replies
 
Pyrrho
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 08:47 am
@Krumple,
Mara;41227 wrote:
I'll simply say, ether way people are going to do it, Legal or not, and fact wise when it comes to certain areas and age groups laws work like reverse-psychology.

Places were its legal to carry a gun - have lower crime rates
USA having the highest drinking age - Teens wanting to go out and drink more over other country's.
Smoking- Teens do it cause its cool and illegal for them to get any of it.

If you tell someone to not do something, chances are you probably just made them want to do it more. Its common knowledge to anyone with common understanding.


Emil;133649 wrote:
Do you have any kind of evidence for these claims?

The US is the worst country sorted by crime rates, and it is the only country that I know of that allows carrying guns.


Krumple;133652 wrote:
This is a fallacy.

If what you say is true, that higher crime rates are do to gun carrying then by all means states where there are carry laws should have higher crime rates. They don't. Just the opposite is true. States where gun carrying is illegal tend to have higher gun related crimes.

There is another reason why the US has higher crime rates. I bet it has to do with religion instead of guns themselves.


You are reading things into Emil's post that are not there. He does not say anything about causation in his post. He is asking for evidence for the claims that Mara made, and is mentioning a counterexample to one of the claims Mara made.
0 Replies
 
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2010 09:00 am
@Krumple,
Krumple;133656 wrote:
Also Canadians are less religious than the US so if my theory that religion is the cause behind a majority of intolerance and violence then by all means Canada would reflect that by having less gun violence than the US.
Think it's that Canada has less ghettoes.
0 Replies
 
north
 
  1  
Reply Tue 9 Mar, 2010 11:17 pm
@hue-man,
hue-man;41232 wrote:
While I do agree that telling someone not to do something can have a reverse-psychological effect, I do not agree that something should be legalized because some people will do it anyway.

Murder is illegal, but some people will do it anyway; stealing is illegal, but some people will do it anyway; but none of this means it should endorsed with legalization.

I believe that prostitution should be legalized for the same reasons mentioned in this article, as long as it is regulated. As long as it's done that way I believe it is ethical. It is illegal prostitution that I find to be unethical, but it only exists because over governments make it illegal.

Legal prostitutes are simply sex workers, just like porn stars. If the pornography business is legal then why shouldn't prostitution be legal? Both jobs receive income from sexual performance.

I believe that the illegalization of prostitution stems from Judeo-Christian moral values making their way into our public policy.


prostitution should be legal and regulated

no question
0 Replies
 
Ergo phil
 
  1  
Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 09:48 am
@hue-man,
I knew a college girl that was working as an "escort" to make ends meet. You would never have known by looking at her but she was a high-priced one that most men couldn't afford. Others that I have known were single mothers who were doing it to provide for their family. Some of them were just plain old street hustlers working to fund their own compulsions, usually drugs.

The latter type is usually what people are concerned about when thinking about legalizing prostitution.

Actually, keeping prostitution illegal is a manipulation in the sex market to keep the price of sex very high so that women benefit.
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 08/05/2020 at 11:12:50