Is free will an illusion?

nameless

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 01:58 am
@Patty phil,
Patty;54600 wrote:
... is also an idea that is formed by how things came contact through our senses.

In the mind. Right. All in the mind.

Quote:
Though we cannot ultimately reject that all things may be simple sensations or ideas,

"Ultimately reject"??? That is the only real evidence that we have. We can easily reject the notion of an 'external' 'reality' through simple lack of evidence.

Quote:
it is absurd that one may post or join in a forum when he believes that he is the only reality.

How female, go for the ad-hom personal attack. How boring.
We must, however, note your inability to refute what I said, your inaccurate personal representation in that I do not believe that I am the only reality, which you would have known was absurd if you ever managed to read anything that I have written here. But for a shot in the dark, it stank. And also bears no weight on the accuracy of my initial statement.

This is why I mentioned that a response was unnecessary, as without evidence, you (as you have shown) have nothing fruitful with which to respond.
nameless out
Bones-O

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 09:59 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
In the mind. Right. All in the mind.

How female, go for the ad-hom personal attack. How boring.
We must, however, note your inability to refute what I said, your inaccurate personal representation in that I do not believe that I am the only reality, which you would have known was absurd if you ever managed to read anything that I have written here. But for a shot in the dark, it stank. And also bears no weight on the accuracy of my initial statement.

This is why I mentioned that a response was unnecessary, as without evidence, you (as you have shown) have nothing fruitful with which to respond.
nameless out

Sorry, I don't get this. You're doing the personal attack here, so if you're female, why are you being sexist about your own gender?

Anyway, you're mistaken. There is evidence of an external world, there is simply no proof. Two different things. There is actually a whole world of evidence for an external world: everything in it is evidence. It may well be that all of the impressions I have of the external world are in my mind only - i.e. the evidence is inconclusive. However there's more evidence. There are objects my consciousness known to me as 'others', other people. These impressions behave in much the same way the impression of my body behaves under similar situations. For instance, when the impressions I have include visible things making audible jokes, it makes me laugh and others too, giving evidence that there are other things like my actual self outside my self... in an external reality. Again, not proof, nothing conclusive (they could be imaginary friends that take on some of my characteristics), but certainly evidence for the argument for an external reality. And I could go on and on listing evidences, none conclusive, none constituting proof, but taken together and in the absence of any evidence for the existence of no external reality (for we always have to think up some way of explaining how impressions upon my consciousness seem to accord to the idea of an external reality in order to maintain there is none), it's all rather persuasive. But never conclusive. Very little is.
Kielicious

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 12:34 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
it's all rather persuasive.

and solipsism isnt very persuasive
Bones-O

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
and solipsism isnt very persuasive

Well, there is that. :a-ok: Actually, I can't find anything wrong with the solipsism argument - it's just useless as a point of departure. We either have to leave a little margin of doubt implied in the word 'know', or come up with a new word for knowledge that's near as dammit, or just speak endlessly of ourselves.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 01:35 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;54652 wrote:
There is evidence of an external world,

Lets see it. Without involving the mind.

Quote:
There is actually a whole world of evidence for an external world: everything in it is evidence.

Sorry, that is nonsense. Everything that you perceive to be "in it' is perceived in the mind. Everything that you see is in the mind, everything that all the senses perceive is 'in the mind'. You perceive NOTHING that is not perceived in the mind. There is no evidence possible of the existence of anything beyond the mind.
Sorry to mess with your 'beliefs'.

Quote:
It may well be that all of the impressions I have of the external world are in my mind only - i.e. the evidence is inconclusive.

Not inconclusive, but NO EVIDENCE AT ALL! Inconclusive? Haha! The only evidence (whether you would consider it conclusive or not) is of existence in mind.

Quote:
However there's more evidence.

Not "more" as you have presented NONE!

Quote:
There are objects my consciousness known to me as 'others', other people. These impressions behave...

Sorry againj, but your impressions are trivial here. All of your "impressions" are in your mind, whatever they are. Whatever you 'feel' is in your mind.

Quote:
in much the same way the impression of my body behaves under similar situations. For instance, when the impressions I have include visible things making audible jokes, it makes me laugh and others too, giving evidence that there are other things like my actual self outside my self... in an external reality.

Poor thinking, poor logic and totally fallacious. You anecdotal "impressions" remain in the mind. Have you never laughed at a thought of your's?

Quote:
Again, not proof, nothing conclusive (they could be imaginary friends that take on some of my characteristics), but certainly evidence for the argument for an external reality.

No, it isn't. Your feelings and impressions do not constitute any actual evidence at all. All you have offered is what is in your mind and notyhing more. Perhaps all of that constitutes 'proof' and 'evidence' to you, and that cannot be denied, but as far as actual scientific/logical evidence, not even close.

Quote:
And I could go on and on listing evidences, none conclusive, none constituting proof, but taken together and in the absence of any evidence for the existence of no external reality (for we always have to think up some way of explaining how impressions upon my consciousness seem to accord to the idea of an external reality in order to maintain there is none), it's all rather persuasive. But never conclusive. Very little is.

Sorry, but your logic here is completely erroneous.
Again, if it works for you, I have no refutation or argument, but your belief is just that, your belief... You are running into the same trouble as any 'believer' in attempting to 'universalize' their 'beliefs' for everyone; "Yes, Jesus actually walked on water! You cannot prove that he didn't!" Sorry, but that is kindergarten logic.
The only evidence that exists is in support of only one side of the discussion. The other side is unsupported and unsupportable fantasy, idle speculation at best.
The problem is that every disagreement (with the only evidence extant) takes the weak and illogical form of your 'argument'.

To avoid the red faces, little balled fists at the sides of the outraged 'believers', to avoid the messy and ugly emotional responses, to avoid the irrational responses, to avoid the inevitable ad-homs that are the 'cognitive' tools of the trade of 'believers', i will only respond to any actual evidence (look it up) of existence beyond the minds perception thereof. My response, in that case, will be to gladly and readily recant my words as error.
Until then...

(and 'solipsism' has no relevence here, but is, again, a poor attempt at what is essentially a straw-man fallacy, cause you simply got nothing better!.)
Bones-O

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 02:53 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:

Sorry, that is nonsense. Everything that you perceive to be "in it' is perceived in the mind. Everything that you see is in the mind, everything that all the senses perceive is 'in the mind'. You perceive NOTHING that is not perceived in the mind. There is no evidence possible of the existence of anything beyond the mind.

You should have waited until you'd understood my post before you replied. I do not deny that everything that is perceived is perceived in the mind. However, this does not destroy the quality of the evidence that is perceived. When we observe single-celled organisms in the lab, we do not actually observe the organism at all, merely (if you will temporarily grant me an external world for the sake of this analogy) we observe the measuring apparatus: the microscope. By the same argument as yours, this would mean even with the external world an absolute given, there would be no evidence for the single-celled organism, and this is exactly why you're wrong. This doesn't prove the existence of the organism, since what we're observing is merely the microscope, however it does constitute evidence since the observation correlates well with what we'd expect to see if there is a real organism being observed. Likewise the external world. The manner of our subjective impressions is itself evidence for an external world. For one thing, if there is no external world but all impressions are internally generated in the mind, we should be capable of a lot more impressions. I should be capable of seeing heavy objects levitate, of three-headed children and talking bricks. Anything I can imagine might be available as impressions. That this is not the case is evidence against the solipsism argument: that things accord as if there is an external world is evidence there is an external world but not proof!

nameless wrote:

Sorry to mess with your 'beliefs'.

Oh, this isn't a belief. This comes out of a little thing called thinking.

nameless wrote:

Not inconclusive, but NO EVIDENCE AT ALL! Inconclusive? Haha! The only evidence (whether you would consider it conclusive or not) is of existence in mind.

No, that it does exist in the mind constitutes rather more than 'evidence': it is plain fact.

nameless wrote:

Poor thinking, poor logic and totally fallacious. You anecdotal "impressions" remain in the mind. Have you never laughed at a thought of your's?

I'm certainly laughing at yours.

nameless wrote:

No, it isn't. Your feelings and impressions do not constitute any actual evidence at all. All you have offered is what is in your mind and notyhing more. Perhaps all of that constitutes 'proof' and 'evidence' to you, and that cannot be denied, but as far as actual scientific/logical evidence, not even close.

I stated over and over again that none of what I said constituted proof and yet you now conjecture that it constitutes proof to me. This does tend to reinforce my impression that the reason your response doesn't refute my point is that you never understood quite what I was saying. Oh well. We can only try.

nameless wrote:

Again, if it works for you, I have no refutation or argument,

Whether it works or not, I'm afraid you have no refutation or argument, you just state the same thing again and add some insults. So you'll forgive me if I don't take your critique of my argument very seriously.

nameless wrote:

To avoid the red faces, little balled fists at the sides of the outraged 'believers', to avoid the messy and ugly emotional responses, to avoid the irrational responses, to avoid the inevitable ad-homs that are the 'cognitive' tools of the trade of 'believers', i will only respond to any actual evidence (look it up) of existence beyond the minds perception thereof. My response, in that case, will be to gladly and readily recant my words as error.
Until then...

Believe it or not, we don't all fly off the handle as readily as you, so I wouldn't worry about the outrage of others: it's your own blood pressure you should be concerned about. As for looking up evidence, I suggest you take your own advice.

nameless wrote:

(and 'solipsism' has no relevence here, but is, again, a poor attempt at what is essentially a straw-man fallacy, cause you simply got nothing better!.)

I was responding to someone else about solipsism - my post to them had little to do with my response to you. As for it's relevance... look it up. And why is it the ones with the least ability to use their reason are always the ones that are so rude? You can't make an argument so you fire off personal attacks.
Kielicious

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 03:35 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:

Guh? Solipsism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I dont know why youre getting so upset over this. Seems pretty trivial to me but watev...

Also x2, throwing around words like erronous, fallacious, poor logic, etc. etc. doesnt make you look any better, or true at that.
Theaetetus

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 03:44 pm
@hue-man,
There is also another key piece of evidence that the external world exists--other minds besides one's own.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 06:34 pm
@Bones-O,
Bones-O!;54690 wrote:

Since you have offered nothing of relevence, nor met my challenge to provide evidence in support of your fantasy (you never will or can), there needs be no further response.
I feel free to repeat the truth that you cannot refute.
If you ever come up with any real 'evidence' (of course you'd have to know what 'evidence' means), let me know and I'll eat my keyboard.
Otherwise, good day.

(Actually, as I know that you can never meet my challenge, and your responses, so far, have caused me to despair fruitful discourse, you are now on my ignore list.)
nameless

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 06:35 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious;54694 wrote:
throwing around words like erronous, fallacious, poor logic, etc. etc. doesnt make you look any better, or true at that.

This is a philosophy forum, (insert ad-hom insult here), and those 'words' that so bother you are used all the time in philosophical discourse.
I'm simply calling a spade a spade. Deal with it.

And, 'Guh!', thanx, but I know what solipsism is.
Bones-O

Reply Sun 22 Mar, 2009 07:00 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
Since you have offered nothing of relevence, nor met my challenge to provide evidence in support of your fantasy (you never will or can), there needs be no further response.
I feel free to repeat the truth that you cannot refute.
If you ever come up with any real 'evidence' (of course you'd have to know what 'evidence' means), let me know and I'll eat my keyboard.
Otherwise, good day.

And a good day to you too, sir. I take it then that you have no means to actually refute my refutation.

nameless wrote:
(Actually, as I know that you can never meet my challenge, and your responses, so far, have caused me to despair fruitful discourse, you are now on my ignore list.)

No.... No!!!! Not... not the ignore list!!!!! :eek:
0 Replies

Kielicious

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 12:32 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
This is a philosophy forum, (insert ad-hom insult here), and those 'words' that so bother you are used all the time in philosophical discourse.
I'm simply calling a spade a spade. Deal with it.

And, 'Guh!', thanx, but I know what solipsism is.

Seem like this is bothering you more than me.

Hope youre having as much fun as I am...
0 Replies

bemoosed

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2009 05:31 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
We can easily reject the notion of an 'external' 'reality' through simple lack of evidence.
I certainly don't claim to understand what 'evidence' means, but I'd like to see if I understand some of what you've said in this thread.

Let's see... I might say to myself that because I perceive 'things' to behave in ways that I can't anticipate, this constitutes at least circumstantial evidence that there is an external reality - containing these 'things' - with which my perception directly correlates. I.e., that I can be surprised is evidence of an external reality.

But, were my powers of visualization sufficiently strong (they're not), I might mentally conceive of a game similar to Conway's Game of Life, set some initial conditions, and be surprised at the results though I believe I conceived the entire scenario within my 'inner reality'. So I could say that 'surprise' isn't evidence of an external reality.

I could choose to distinguish between the two types of experiences above by, say, the avenues through which I receive the data, or perhaps by whether I'm aware of constructing the rules and setting the initial conditions. Based upon the contexts I construct through these perspectives, I might or might not consider some data as evidence of an external reality - depending upon my chosen perspective. But these chosen perspectives are themselves belief frameworks or interpretive frameworks that I use to explain the data. It's the framework that tells me whether the data does or does not constitute evidence - an internal construct. Thus I might say I 'believe' in an external world, but no more.

Seems to me that - from this pov - I would reject the argument that I have at least contextual evidence for an external world because all such contexts are internally constructed.

Does the above relate at least somewhat to your point/pov here?
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 01:32 am
@hue-man,
Well as I just entered the topic, can I hopefully add something not already posted?

I really think free will is an illusion, we are restricted in what we do all the time by laws of the state.

Does God or evolution allow for free will,if you believe in the ten commandments, then it is a No as far as God goes, Most of the ten commandments are "thou shalt nots"

If we look at evolution, likewise I do not think we really have a real free will. Remember Marslows hierarchy of needs. If you have no water after a day or two it will supplant all your other needs and thirst will consume your mind. You might even kill to get a drink

The next need maybe food, then shelter etc, etc

Is there an overlap between these needs and free will I really think so.

How many of you guys are familiar with the psychologist Marlow?
hue-man

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 08:28 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Well as I just entered the topic, can I hopefully add something not already posted?

I really think free will is an illusion, we are restricted in what we do all the time by laws of the state.

Does God or evolution allow for free will,if you believe in the ten commandments, then it is a No as far as God goes, Most of the ten commandments are "thou shalt nots"

If we look at evolution, likewise I do not think we really have a real free will. Remember Marslows hierarchy of needs. If you have no water after a day or two it will supplant all your other needs and thirst will consume your mind. You might even kill to get a drink

The next need maybe food, then shelter etc, etc

Is there an overlap between these needs and free will I really think so.

How many of you guys are familiar with the psychologist Marlow?

I think that the answer to whether or not we have free will is dependent upon how you define the word free. I define freedom as being liberty or volition in the absence of aggression or coercion. The ability of a rational agent to make choices without being forced by another rational agent's will.

Determinism is not incompatible with free will. An agent's actions are determined by the agent's past and present, and the agent's beliefs and values. It is the agent's ability to make those choices without being coerced that makes its actions free.
Alan McDougall

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:27 am
@hue-man,
hue man

Quote:
I think that the answer to whether or not we have free will is dependent upon how you define the word free. I define freedom as being liberty or volition in the absence of aggression or coercion. The ability of a rational agent to make choices without being forced by another rational agent's will.

Then free will is subjective and relative

But I am not disagreeing with you it is all about where we draw the line and who draws it for us
hue-man

Reply Tue 31 Mar, 2009 10:40 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
hue man

Then free will is subjective and relative

But I am not disagreeing with you it is all about where we draw the line and who draws it for us

Well free will is related to the ethical values of liberty and freedom, so like all values it is subjective (mind-dependent). I'm not so sure that it's relative though. Freedom is universal and impartial as a value, so how can it be relative?
Greg phil

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 02:56 pm
@hue-man,
I always find that the issue here lies in the 'I' (or you):

"Do I have control over my behaviours or thoughts/intentions?"

Well if 'I' means my brain then yes, well mostly since other biology such as hormones are affective on behaviour, and external influences such as being pushed over. But the big limit is that our brain is physical and so is itself determined by causes.
Further the brain is constantly changing; if I am my brain, then I died a second ago and someone else took my place but who has similar memories and personality.

If 'I' means some supernatural mind or soul, then you aviod the problems of above but you then struggle to explain how the 'mind' interacts with the material body. Furthermore since almost all (if not all) of our physical behaviour can be explained physically, then our 'mind' is almost irrelevant and so introducing it as a theory flouts Occam's Razor.

If you could suggest how a spiritual mind could interact through nature without breaking any laws of nature (e.g. via determining the motion of quantum indeterminate events) and how that mind came to exist (I don't know, I guess a God is a possibility though what God is is no easy question) THEN you could argue for a meaningful freewill.

I personally haven't studied Philosophy of Mind enough to decide. I've read very strong arguments for and against the idea of an immaterial mind and need to read more and evaluate for myself. I guess I'm slightly in favour of an immaterial mind but I'm not fixed in my views yet.
0 Replies

Richardgrant

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:11 pm
@hue-man,
Greg, for me to understand the why of creation, I have had to study the cause of the effect. We live in two worlds simultaneously - the material world of effect - and unseen world of cause.

To know cause is to have all knowledge, balance is the key to understanding cause and effect, for they can never be out of balance, everything that happens will always have an equal and opposite effect.

Man has free will to choose any action, but has no say over what the reaction will be.
for example if I hold evil thoughts in my thinking, a balancing will take place in my consciousness, where toxins will build up in my body, blocking the flow of life, allowing cancers to form. Richard
Bones-O

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:38 pm
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
for example if I hold evil thoughts in my thinking, a balancing will take place in my consciousness, where toxins will build up in my body, blocking the flow of life, allowing cancers to form.

Yeah... that's exactly how my cat died. It used to have the most terribly vicious thoughts about dogs. One day, we noticed a strange bump, took it to the vet - riddled with cancer. "Serves him right," I said. "Shouldn't have been such a grouch." Pisser, though... I miss him now.
0 Replies