Is free will an illusion?

Krumple

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 04:45 pm
@hue-man,
Obviously I don't have free will because I can't seem to answer why I bother responding to most threads. I know that no one is really going to come out any different after reading what I write, so what's really the point? Is it to appeal to some psychological need?
nameless

Reply Fri 22 May, 2009 05:46 pm
@bemoosed,
bemoosed;55651 wrote:
nameless wrote:

We can easily reject the notion of an 'external' 'reality' through simple lack of evidence.

I certainly don't claim to understand what 'evidence' means, but I'd like to see if I understand some of what you've said in this thread.

Appolgies that my response has taken so long, I have just now seen your post. Hope that you are still here?
When I am speaking of 'evidence', here, it is from a logico-scientific Perspective. This is a philosophy forum, philosophy being 'critical thought'.
I understand that the appearance of a hummingbird in the morning is considered, by some, as evidence of a 'god'.
The term 'evidence', as I use it, represents something that can be presented to perception for (critical) examination. That seems to be pretty much what I mean. Make sense?

Quote:
Let's see... I might say to myself that because I perceive 'things' to behave in ways that I can't anticipate, this constitutes at least circumstantial evidence that there is an external reality

First, it is not possible to 'anticipate' what you are perceiving (they are mutually/synchronously' arising features/states, unless you are perceiving yourself in some state of 'anticipation'. 'Anticipation' is a state Now! Here! in which you perceive yourself in that state.

Quote:
- containing these 'things' - with which my perception directly correlates. I.e., that I can be surprised is evidence of an external reality.

Here's a moment in which you appear 'surprised'. Here's a moment where you are feeling something else. Just because you have/are a 'feeling', doesn't necessarily mean that it relates to an 'out there'. With no real evidence of an 'out there' to corroborate the 'feeling', I see no reason to give the speculation that there is an 'out there' any credence. Science has amply demonstrated that our senses do not reflect an 'external reality'.
We open our eyes and see 'light' and 'colors', yet in front of our eyelids, there is total darkness!
We listen to the birds and the fvcking construction equipment across the street and our favorite music and 'feel' a world full of 'sound/noise' yet, outside your ears/brain, there is absolute silence! If the tree falls and there is no one to hear it, it makes no sound/noise. Etc, etc... for the rest of our senses also! Do you think that you actually 'touch' 'things'? Nope. Its physics, not even very new, but emotional and mental 'needs' often trump logic and science.
That you can be 'surprised' is no evidence for anything other than you can be surprised. You can also 'be' bored. And all other states of 'being', also. Your 'state of being' demonstrates nothing other than your state of being, as it is, as perceived in Mind. Now! and Now! and Now!...
No 'causality'; yes 'context'.

Quote:
I could say that 'surprise' isn't evidence of an external reality.

And I'd agree, as I have.

Quote:
I could choose to distinguish between the two types of experiences above by, say, the avenues through which I receive the data,

You could, though i see no point.

Quote:
or perhaps by whether I'm aware of constructing the rules and setting the initial conditions.

Whether or not you 'feel like' you are "constructing the rules and setting the initial conditions."

Quote:
Based upon the contexts I construct through these perspectives, I might or might not consider some data as evidence of an external reality -depending upon my chosen perspective.

As I said, a hummingbird can be sufficient evidence of God from certain Perspectives.

Quote:
But these chosen perspectives are themselves belief frameworks or interpretive frameworks that I use to explain the data.

'Thought' and 'beliefs' are features of some Perspectives, at some moments. 'Explanation', 'why', in itself is Perspectival (fantasy), a relic of the obsolete notion of 'cause and effect'/'causality. No 'why', just 'is'!

Quote:
It's the framework that tells me whether the data does or does not constitute evidence - an internal construct. Thus I might say I 'believe' in an external world, but no more.

Then your 'belief' of 'the external world' is real in/as/for youPerspective, and as such, a real (existent) feature of the complete Universe!

Quote:
Seems to me that - from this pov - I would reject the argument that I have at least contextual evidence for an external world because all such contexts are internally constructed.

Everything exists! All existing 'things' are contextual. All context is perceived// perception is context. Existence/Universe is context! Perceiver and perceived are one.

Quote:
Does the above relate at least somewhat to your point/pov here?

You tell me. I tried to 'dial it in' a bit.
Peace
0 Replies

Greg phil

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 01:47 am
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
Greg, for me to understand the why of creation, I have had to study the cause of the effect. We live in two worlds simultaneously - the material world of effect - and unseen world of cause.

To know cause is to have all knowledge, balance is the key to understanding cause and effect, for they can never be out of balance, everything that happens will always have an equal and opposite effect.

Man has free will to choose any action, but has no say over what the reaction will be.
for example if I hold evil thoughts in my thinking, a balancing will take place in my consciousness, where toxins will build up in my body, blocking the flow of life, allowing cancers to form. Richard

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure in what way your post evaluates my last post.
But anyway, I'm unsure as to how you have justified freewill here. Even your example seems unclear since surely the act of holding evil thoughts is itself a causal effect of other things?
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 05:03 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;64448 wrote:
Obviously I don't have free will because I can't seem to answer why I bother responding to most threads. I know that no one is really going to come out any different after reading what I write, so what's really the point? Is it to appeal to some psychological need?

Good point ! I'd be willing to bet that it's in the class of 'addictive states.' It has been shown to be a fair understanding that the brain is set up for addiction, and that pretty much happens without us knowing it, but it is us doing it--lack of freewill? From the macro view, probably, but from the micro view, maybe not really.

But I, for one, am very happy that you have (what might be) such an addiction of posting here!! Post on !!
Patty phil

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 07:49 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin wrote:
Good point ! I'd be willing to bet that it's in the class of 'addictive states.' It has been shown to be a fair understanding that the brain is set up for addiction, and that pretty much happens without us knowing it, but it is us doing it--lack of freewill? From the macro view, probably, but from the micro view, maybe not really.

But I, for one, am very happy that you have (what might be) such an addiction of posting here!! Post on !!

So you guys thing you are necessitated to act in a very determined way
everytime and anytime without really thinking about things?
0 Replies

innocent phil

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 06:42 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Actually, Libet's experiment demonstrates that there is a short interval of time after which the unconscious has made a choice wherein the conscious mind MAY veto that choice. Libet referred to this possibility as "Free Won't." However it is equally possible that the unconscious, and not the conscious, would still be the agent vetoing the unconscious' initial choice.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 12:55 pm
@innocent phil,
innocent;69056 wrote:
Actually, Libet's experiment demonstrates that there is a short interval of time after which the unconscious has made a choice wherein the conscious mind MAY veto that choice. Libet referred to this possibility as "Free Won't." However it is equally possible that the unconscious, and not the conscious, would still be the agent vetoing the unconscious' initial choice.

We really have no free will we MUST breath or we die we Must eat or we die we Must drink or we die, we are surrounded by a host of state laws.

I agree that we can up and kill the next person who comes into the room, but that is not free will that is stupidity for which there is dire consequences

Peace to all free thinking people, no one can take that away from us
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:15 pm
@hue-man,
Yes, innocent, that is about the set up. It is also (and more properly, in my concerned opinion) called 'stop/go' acts--an inhibition to a circuit will usually make the stop. However, it is very much a problem to use the word unconsious, because it is still conscious, actually. While these conscious processes are not accessible to, or not fully integrated into the 'mega' of, consciousness (the state of conscioussness) they are, nevertheless, conscious processes--as better defined.
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 05:47 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;69249 wrote:
Yes, innocent, that is about the set up. It is also (and more properly, in my concerned opinion) called 'stop/go' acts--an inhibition to a circuit will usually make the stop. However, it is very much a problem to use the word unconsious, because it is still conscious, actually. While these conscious processes are not accessible to, or not fully integrated into the 'mega' of, consciousness (the state of conscioussness) they are, nevertheless, conscious processes--as better defined.

In the privacy of my mind and thoughts I have free will
0 Replies

innocent phil

Reply Sun 14 Jun, 2009 09:54 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;69249 wrote:

I'm not sure I understand your point about the unconscious. For example, after researchers primed a group of subjects with words suggesting old age, they walked to an elevator more slowly than did the control group. And after researchers had one group of subjects think about professors, and the second group think about soccer hooligans, the first group did far better at a subsequent game of scrabble.

The subjects in these two groups had no idea that their unconscious priming was motivating their future behavior. Why do you equate unconscious processes with conscious processes?
0 Replies

innocent phil

Reply Mon 15 Jun, 2009 10:46 pm
@Krumple,
Krumple;64448 wrote:

Wait a minute? Why do you conclude that your writing will not effect how others think? If it's because you conclude that we humans do not have free will, you might want to reconsider your fatalistic perspective.

While it is very likely true that our human will and everything else is determined, that does not mean that we humans are therefore powerless to act in ways that change ourselves, each other, and the world.

Take the issue of slavery. It's my understanding that a town of about 14,000 somewhere in England pioneered the moral indigence that ultimately led to slavery's abolition throughout most of our world.

On a personal level, even though it might be determined that we human beings will eventually overcome our belief in free will in favor of an understanding of determinism, the way that prospect will happen is that people like you and me will have written and talked about it to others until that brilliant "aha" light bulb goes off in their heads and they thereafter join our ranks.

We humans are, in fact, completely determined in everything we do, but we have been determined to be able to act powerfully to change our world in whatever ways destiny compels. So, I hope you will take pleasure in your influence on our reality, regardless of how absent of choice you might be about those actions.
0 Replies