Personality disorders

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 01:02 pm
I have a sister who is actually on this forum and has given me the ok to post this thread. She has whats called avoidant personality disorder. I'm just wondering what sort of help and treatment I should do for her.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 636 • Replies: 2
No top replies

MITech

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 01:16 pm
@psychphysicsgirl,
If she has severe anxiety I would reccommend putting her on an anti-anxiety medication like and anti-depressent or a benzodiazepam. Some examples of these would be effexor, clonazepam or celexa. There are a lot more but I won't go to in depth on them

There is also something called cognitive behavioural therapy that can be really helpful for the person. What the therapy would do would change the way the person thinks in for example a social situation. It would also build on social skills training and special exposure techniques. Ofcourse they wouldn't just put you right in a tough situation right away. It would be gradual and slow at first. It is tough but accomplishable.

There are also other psychotherapies out there that can be just as beneficial to treat avpd.
MITech

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 02:59 pm
@MITech,
Here is a great website that talks about all you need to know about mental disorders. Also talks about avpd.
www.psychcentral.com
0 Replies