Encounter With a Nice Man

xris

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:30 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;68024 wrote:
If fiction does not have a message it can never be good fiction. Good fiction relies on its Trojan horse/virus abilities. If one does not identify with it in the positive or the negative it has not done its job. The message portrayed is irrelevant to this fact. He could be writing pro-baby-molestation fiction and it would have been the same as a person writing a coming of age dark comedy about overcoming an abusive past. The very fact that you have so vehemently attacked the topic and the way the topic is formed is a confirmation of his efficacy as a fiction writer, in the realm of simply getting his message across.

A better story would have been more subtle and character driven. It would have couched his message rhetorically in the character's action and reaction to herself etc... But it seems he got his message across effectively.

So you fell for his "trap" tsk tsk, and there is no need for apologies for your opinions and deeply held beliefs. My intent here was not to defend his position, it was to defend the medium in which it was presented.
Defend it as much as you please but it value was not intended as a work of literature ,it only carried his bigoted views into a wider arena.Am i only ever to criticise the use of the English language in a script? or the mind that wrote it?Be aware, very aware if this is the concept of creative writing you may need to criticise my writings on many strange occassions.I object in the strongest terms that a thread that was created for cultural ends becomes a message board for the extreme views displayed here.
GoshisDead

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 12:56 pm
@xris,
Meh, it ain't worth it, I'll wait until some mod sets up specific guidlines for this section. The argument is one of extreme belief, and there is no changing a person's belief with reason.
Caroline

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Yeah you got that right but i like to try once in decade.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 01:08 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;68063 wrote:
Meh, it ain't worth it, I'll wait until some mod sets up specific guidlines for this section. The argument is one of extreme belief, and there is no changing a person's belief with reason.

I am working on taking care of some guidelines for the section so it doesn't get filled with pure junk and to improve its function.

I disagree with you xris. If you want to criticize the writers beliefs and arguments, do it in the other forums. As I have said, Bonaventurian made an attempt at taking a belief of his and writing a story about it. By making the story more human, it wouldn't be that bad of a premise. One could also write a pro-choice piece that would be very similar. Writing is re-writing, and with editing, it could be a decent piece of creative writing.

I could write a satire about eating babies to solve the population growth problem in the world--oh wait, someone already did write that back in the 1700s. My point is sometimes creative writing can be used as a vehicle to share beliefs that others may not even consider reading in non-fiction works.
xris

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 02:08 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;68067 wrote:
I am working on taking care of some guidelines for the section so it doesn't get filled with pure junk and to improve its function.

I disagree with you xris. If you want to criticize the writers beliefs and arguments, do it in the other forums. As I have said, Bonaventurian made an attempt at taking a belief of his and writing a story about it. By making the story more human, it wouldn't be that bad of a premise. One could also write a pro-choice piece that would be very similar. Writing is re-writing, and with editing, it could be a decent piece of creative writing.

I could write a satire about eating babies to solve the population growth problem in the world--oh wait, someone already did write that back in the 1700s. My point is sometimes creative writing can be used as a vehicle to share beliefs that others may not even consider reading in non-fiction works.
Well we will have to agree to disagree because i will oppose bigotry wherever it raises its ugly head.I will be more aware of the attitude of you the moderators and i will only comply with your directions because of your demand not because i agree with you.Me writing a story to counter his pathetic story seems to me rather juvenile.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Wed 10 Jun, 2009 07:12 pm
@Bonaventurian,
My main reason for not criticizing the subject material is that as a creative writer myself, I often write certain characters to be bigots in order to get a point across. If I were to post a piece that was like this, I would be expressing views that I do not personally hold through a character. While we all know Bona well enough to know his views on an abortion, so we know his ulterior motive. But if we knew nothing about the author, then the only thing left to look at is the text itself. When criticizing creative writing, biography should be left out, because the discussion is purely speculation.
xris

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 02:57 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;68160 wrote:
My main reason for not criticizing the subject material is that as a creative writer myself, I often write certain characters to be bigots in order to get a point across. If I were to post a piece that was like this, I would be expressing views that I do not personally hold through a character. While we all know Bona well enough to know his views on an abortion, so we know his ulterior motive. But if we knew nothing about the author, then the only thing left to look at is the text itself. When criticizing creative writing, biography should be left out, because the discussion is purely speculation.
Your the moderators you do what you think is correct but if you let these Trojan horses in without the content being questioned your opening a can of worms in my opinion.
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 09:58 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;68160 wrote:

Well, would it not be up to the author of the piece to defend himself if someone did get a certain impression of political bias from his writing, right or wrong?

In other words, I think Bonaventurian should be able to post his pro-life agenda tales if he wishes, but I think other people should be allowed to say "I think this is nothing more than some thinly veiled pro-life propaganda", and if Bonaventurian wishes to respond he may.

What I think would be rubbish would be if someone were to post up stories motivated by the desire to make a political point, and if others were prevented from voicing their positions or opinions on the matter just because it wouldn't technically count as constructive criticism.
GoshisDead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 11:41 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;68289 wrote:
Well, would it not be up to the author of the piece to defend himself if someone did get a certain impression of political bias from his writing, right or wrong?

In other words, I think Bonaventurian should be able to post his pro-life agenda tales if he wishes, but I think other people should be allowed to say "I think this is nothing more than some thinly veiled pro-life propaganda", and if Bonaventurian wishes to respond he may.

What I think would be rubbish would be if someone were to post up stories motivated by the desire to make a political point, and if others were prevented from voicing their positions or opinions on the matter just because it wouldn't technically count as constructive criticism.

I would totally agree with you dave were it not for the fact that we have the whole rest of the forum to post political and ethical issues for argument's sake. If this section of the forum is specific to presenting creative writing and critique for the betterment of that presentation it should be kept for that. Heavens knows we have argued this particular issue over and over again in other sections of the forum.

If, however, this section of the forum is not reserved specifically for writing and technical critique of that writing then I withdraw all objections. But bear in mind people who are not trawling for controversy will also feel less comfortable poresenting their creative writing in this forum if it is open for topical knitpicking and open to what i concider counter-trolls, who are just as big of a problem as trolls.

On a personal opinon: Having an Anti-abortion political stance is not biggoted, although some people present it rather rudely, the counter attacks against them are just a rude and closed minded. The acid spewed against this story is an example of the above concern about people being too shy to present their own creative writings. Granted the vitriol against Bo will likely not affect him and his postings but it would definitly make me think twice before posting my creative writing here, as creative writing at its heart exposes the most vulnerable and most easily breakable parts of one's ego.
Caroline

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 12:14 pm
@Bonaventurian,
RE:Gosh
You say the rest of the forum is for political and ethical debate, that is why i asked for the thread to be moved because i thought it was an ethical issue disguised as a story. And im sorry if you think i spew acid that wasnt my intention, my intention was not to disagree with being anti-abortion but more on the issues of locking women up because they've had an abortion, im sorry if i've come accross acidic. Maybe I wont bother responding to posts anymore that i believe have no understanding of the real picture which im my opinion is biggotry. And in all honesty, we all have the same goals to stop abortion, that was my intention.
And what is an anti-troll?
xris

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 12:21 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;68308 wrote:
I would totally agree with you dave were it not for the fact that we have the whole rest of the forum to post political and ethical issues for argument's sake. If this section of the forum is specific to presenting creative writing and critique for the betterment of that presentation it should be kept for that. Heavens knows we have argued this particular issue over and over again in other sections of the forum.

If, however, this section of the forum is not reserved specifically for writing and technical critique of that writing then I withdraw all objections. But bear in mind people who are not trawling for controversy will also feel less comfortable poresenting their creative writing in this forum if it is open for topical knitpicking and open to what i concider counter-trolls, who are just as big of a problem as trolls.

On a personal opinon: Having an Anti-abortion political stance is not biggoted, although some people present it rather rudely, the counter attacks against them are just a rude and closed minded. The acid spewed against this story is an example of the above concern about people being too shy to present their own creative writings. Granted the vitriol against Bo will likely not affect him and his postings but it would definitly make me think twice before posting my creative writing here, as creative writing at its heart exposes the most vulnerable and most easily breakable parts of one's ego.
Expressing your opinions is anyone's right, writing a proposed piece of creative writing is commendable.Expressing your extreme views by way of a pathetic little story requires more than examining the literary effort that went into it.Propaganda never gave me anything other than the shipps.Would you approve of a story recommending the bombing of muslims,however well it was written.If you write something knowing how it will be received, expect the worst.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Thu 11 Jun, 2009 12:40 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline:
The anti-troll is simply a person who takes the bait, all the time. The term troll in forums comes from the term to trawl, meaning drag bait behind you through the water. it has turned into troll because of the people who have no idea what trawling is. That and they are both pronounced Troll. Anyway people who always respond to trolls are IMO just as big as problem and just as annoying as the trolls themselves, because that is exactly what the trolls want. They are trawling, they are fishing and there are always people who are so passionate about their opinions (which is not a bad thing) that they can't let the obvious trawling go by. They like controversy and have to be right.

as for the acid I was refering to someone else, who by the way I have no ill feelings for, just stating that the anti-propoganda was just as vitriolic as the propoganda and as stated in one of my earlier posts is in fact a pot and kettle situation. Once again no one here needs to appologize for their opinion. I was and still am just trying to defend my own, which is that there should be a section where topical critique should be excluded to help those who are looking for technical critique. I mean really how is counter propoganda really going to help. If someone would like to respond topically I would suggest that they write their own story/poem/haiku/whatever that espouses their own political/theological/moral leanings.
0 Replies

Theaetetus

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 12:00 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen;68289 wrote:

Well, as long as it is constructive criticism it is all well and good. My worry, is that people look too much into biography. We know Bonaventurian as a member with certain though tendencies. The idea is to eliminate those previous conceptions of the writer, and focus on the work. Creative writing is not meant to be flamed like bad ideas in other forums. We should strive to make ourselves better creative writers in this forum, no matter what our views or preconceived notions are of the authors.

Bonaveturian tried to write a creative story that got across a valid philosophical position on what has become a very political issue. I challenge him to make this a worthy piece of creative writing through edits to make the story more human rather than robotic rhetoric crammed into a piece of fiction. For some reason, it reminds me of a crappy version of Ayn Rand wannabe rhetoric that needs serious editing to be worth reading.
0 Replies

salima

Reply Fri 12 Jun, 2009 05:47 am
@Bonaventurian,
bona, i do have one practical suggestion. dont make her overweight and say most old women are -it is usually more the reverse. an overweight person usually has health problems that shorten their life, and it would be more realistic and believable to make her 'thin and wizened'. also, fewer people have teeth at the age of 80, they are left in a cup at night. but i would just not mention her teeth if i were you.

i really think you have a way with words-and if you follow some of the good suggestions that were given, you could make a good story that you could use elsewhere in your own campaign. it could be really poignant.

as a matter of fact, my own grandmother had a number of coathanger abortions during the depression years because they didnt have enough money to raise any more children. her husband was a bootlegger and drank more than he sold, and i doubt if she had any options as far as contraception goes. but she did often remark in later life from time to time that she emembered the babies-one was big enough that she saw it was a girl.

and another issue i will tell you-it is about a woman i met here who had an abortion. it is a common practice here to abort female children. she later found out there was a mixup and her child was not a female-she had five daughters already by the way and no son. she was normally ok, but sometimes she would talk about it and tell me how he was a perfect looking little boy, they brought him to show her lying in a little tray. and she would cry...i remember one time i asked her 'would it have been ok if it was a girl?' and then she said 'no'...but she never resolved the issue in her head or her heart.

so there are a lot of story themes you could use here...more subtle ones.
0 Replies