Encounter With a Nice Man

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 12:17 pm
I'm not one for creative writing. I'm not into fiction. I was listening to a Black Sabbath song, and it gave me an idea for a short story, and I felt strongly inclined to write it.

Enter an old woman, age 80. She's hunched over from mild osteoperosis. Her hair is thinning, white. She's slightly overweight, as most older women tend to be, but not extraordinarily so, by any stretch of the imagination. She wears a flowery sun dress. She sits on a bench in a public park, a large purse in her lap, lost in her own thoughts about old age. All of a sudden, something catches her eye. Is someone watching her? She lifts up her head, and over by the swings she catches sight of someone.

A young man (possibly 25?) is staring at her. He has broad shoulders, an athletic physique, fair blonde hair. He's dressed simply, in a t-shirt and jeans. He strikes her as positively charming. A smile comes to her face, and a sense of indescribable joy overwhelms her, though she isn't sure why. She decides to say hello. She looks down at her purse to pick it up, and with great labor, she stands...but when she looks again by the swings, the man is gone. A great feeling of disappointment washes over her, and with slumped shoulders, she slowly makes her way to her car.

Driving home, in her intense loneliness, the thought of that young man consumes her. He sees him everywhere. His image has taken hold of her. Stopping at a stop sign at a 4 way intersection, she checks her rearview mirror, and could almost have sworn that she saw his face there. This didn't scare her, though, but again, she is filled with this sense of elation. Though feeble and fragile, she quickly turns around to look behind her...but he isn't there. Was it all in her head? Is her old mind playing tricks on her? With a sigh, she turns back to face the road in front of her, and carefully checking to make sure that no other cars were about to pass, she accelerates and drives on.

She arrives back at her home, a small 2 bedroom, 1 bathroom brickhouse. The lawn is well kept...she doesn't do it herself. She pays a guy to cut it for her. She gets out of her car, and moves to the trunk so that she can get her groceries. She had just stopped at the park for a brief sit down on the way home from the grocery store. She wanted a breath of fresh air, a brief reprieve from the house, from which she doesn't tend to stray much now in her old age. She lives alone there. Her husband had years ago, and she doesn't have any children. She was barren when she married her husband. Retreiving the bags from her trunk, she feels a pressure on her shoulder. Is that a hand? She closes her eyes, a sad smile washing over her face. Will it finally be him? Will he finally say hello? She turns around...and nobody's there. It must have just been the breeze. A tear forms at the corner of her eye and rolls down her cheek. She's so lonely.

She starts to put away her groceries, thoughts of the unknown man heavy on her mind. When she's finished with the groceries, she puts a pot of coffee to brew, and takes a seat at the kitchen table when it's finally ready. She's sipping at the coffee, and watches one of her afternoon soap operas. Through the window of the kitchen, looking into her backyard, she catches sight of him again! There he is! She sees him, and it's unmistakeable! He's standing in her backyard, looking at her...his expression is one of such longing and desire. His look is one of such love...but yet, there underlies that love such a deep sadness. Maybe he'll finally talk to her? She rises to her feet and goes to the door leading out, a white wooden thing...but when she opens the door, he's gone. Where did he go now...? She returns to her table, and is positively unconsolable now. Her head and upper body collapse onto the table, and she weeps uncontrollably.

Now it's bed time. She has eaten dinner, watched her evening shows, showered and brushed her teeth... and around 9 P.M., she slips into bed. Around 11 PM, she awakens. She feels positively weak, drained...it's as though all of her physical strength has left her. Her breathing is ragged...she feels cold. She looks up and peering through the darkness, she seems the outline of a man...that same man...standing in her room. She flips on the lamp at her bedside table...and sure enough...there he stands, looking down at her. He slowly walks up to her bedside. "Who are you," she asks. "Don't you recognize me?" She peers up into his face...and all of a sudden, it dawns on her. That nose...those eyes...those ears...they're just like hers!

60 years ago, she met this guy, and she had a one night stand...exactly 60 years from this day, right about 11 P.M. no less! 3 months later, she found out that she was pregnant. She was so scared. What would her parents say? What would it mean about the marriage that she was supposed to have with her fiancee...? She couldn't let her husband to be know about this! It was supposed to be a secret, a one time thing...her life seemed to be over because of this...so she got an abortion. There was so much bleeding...the abortion left her uterus mangled. She was barren ever since. She lied to her fiancee and told him that it was cancerous and had to be removed. The poor shmuck he was, he believed her.

Looking up at the young man, her entire life flashes before her eyes. How different might her life have been if she would have had him in her life! "Where have you been all my life...?" He doesn't answer her. He doesn't need to. She already knows the answer to it. He never saw the light of day...because she killed him. "I forgive you, mother." With that, she closes her eyes...and dies.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,368 • Replies: 53
No top replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 12:36 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Do you really think it's as simple as that, that you can tie it all up in a fairy tale like story. Go out and find out what really happens. There are woman getting knocked about every day who get pregnant by monsters, its not as simple as your sugary little piece of fiction here.
xris

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 12:46 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;67721 wrote:
Do you really think it's as simple as that, that you can tie it all up in a fairy tale like story. Go out and find out what really happens. There are woman getting knocked about every day who get pregnant by monsters, its not as simple as your sugary little piece of fiction here.
Caroline the mans is sick, fantasies to indulge his extreme views of abortion.I think he is capable of killing for his twisted cause.We do not normally see them up close and personal but we do here.There is no reasoning, no shared values, no half way house of accommodation.Get the behind me..
Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:05 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bo, you show a lack of understanding. In op i have suggested several times to research all sides to gain a better understanding, then you are entitled to and able to make valid suggestions but how can you be taken seriously when you have failed to do your research, you never will be taken seriously. Belief is one thing but when it is founded on your opinion only and not taken into account everybody and every factor in the situation then you are, as xris quite rightly put it, an extremist. You are obviously happy to be an extemist but you will never be taken seriously by those who have done the research and make valid contributions to society. If you want to abolish abortion instead of force try prevention. You'd be much better off focusing your energy in new and better ways to prevent unwanted pregnancies in the first place.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:07 pm
@Bonaventurian,
There is no such thing as an unwanted pregnancy. Man is not a biological accident. God is the author of each and every one.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:09 pm
@Bonaventurian,
What? Are you telling me everytime someone has sex they want a child? That's ridiculous!
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:13 pm
@Bonaventurian,
I didn't say that the parents want the child. I am saying that God wants every child conceived, because He is the one who creates each and every child. Man is not sheerly corporeal/biological. He is also rational/intelligent/animate/willing. Sexual reproduction is solely a material principle, and it cannot, alone, produce a human person. Each and every conception requires the intervention of a rational/incorporeal principle, and that is God alone.

Caroline, you are missing my point. I don't care about the contingent circumstances. They are irrelevent. In the case of each and every pregnancy, the following propositions hold true:

1. There is a human person.
2. God willed that human person into being.
3. That human person has a face (in the sense that Levinas means), and that face screams out "Thou shalt not kill."
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:13 pm
@Bonaventurian,
I give up..............

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Sp are you saying that evertime people have sex they should take no precautions? Do you have any idea what that would mean? Do you!? You have to be practical, amongst many things we'd have a population crisis.
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:15 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Caroline, for your points to matter, just give me a single occassion in which an abortion which occurs in which an innocent human person isn't intentionally being slain. Wait, you can't, because that's what abortion is? Oh! Well I guess there's no cases in which it's acceptable.

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Caroline;67731 wrote:
I give up..............

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 PM ----------

Sp are you saying that evertime people have sex they should take no precautions? Do you have any idea what that would mean? Do you!?

The Catholic Church teaches that contraceptives are intrinsically immoral.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
@Bonaventurian,
And the practical side of things? (See op).
Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;67735 wrote:
And the practical side of things? (See op).

I don't care about the practical side of things.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:21 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Im not saying it's acceptable, im saying it's very hard and that prevention is best. Im sure the mother feels the same, in that she feels she's killing her own child and im sure she goes through hell because she made a hard choice for what was best for the fetus too, what if that kid grew up in an abusive family, it would have a rotten life. Im saying i know where you're coming form but you cant use force based on your religous beliefs, this is people not God, peoples lives your talking about, whole lives have been ruined because of unwanted children, so either way it's a mess. Prevention Bo not force based on YOUR beliefs.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Yeah, news just in, you have to care if you want to live in the real world,
0 Replies

Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:24 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Do you think that there's a single set of circumstances of which the all knowing, all powerful God is ignorant? There is none, and yet He nonetheless chooses to will those persons into being. Your arguments are worthless, Caroline. They simply don't take into account the relationship between God and creatures.
Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 01:28 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Im sure God is more forgiving then you think. And i' think my arguements have far more worth than yours if anything because im living in the REAL word, not my own little blinkered self believing, closed and unforgiving world.

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

How can you say that? You have to be practical, why do you think we invented contraception, god invented us, we invent contraception what's the problem. You dont care about practicalities then what planet are you living on, you live on earth we cannot be overpopulated, please your not talking sense at all now.
xris

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 02:09 pm
@Caroline,
These expressions of the extreme are just the examples that scare the pants of me.You cant reason or debate with them you just observe their obscenities.I wonder how we could ever overcome the brain washed effects of a church that indoctrinates its young and converts them into creatures of intransigence.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 02:11 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Thousands of africans are dying because of lack of sex education and condoms, is that what you want?
Bonaventurian

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 02:12 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;67759 wrote:
Thousands of africans are dying because of lack of sex education and condoms, is that what you want?

Or, y'know, they could just stop having sex.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 02:20 pm
@Caroline,
St Paul and his successors have succeeded in their bigotry and dogmatic interpretations.He took a message of love and turned into a force that can demand thousand sacrifice their lives for theological fools.We have inherited a faith that has not heart, no understanding and its pagan routes no more represent god than my little toe.This is when i want to be known as an atheist with anger in my heart.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:20 PM ----------

Bonaventurian;67760 wrote:
By their words we shall know them..we definitely know you.
0 Replies

GoshisDead

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:03 pm
@Caroline,
why fight over politics in the creative writing forum?
Caroline

Reply Tue 9 Jun, 2009 03:08 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead;67778 wrote:
why fight over politics in the creative writing forum?

Dont know, Bo started it, he posted an anti-abortion story, what do you expect?

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:08 PM ----------

Bonaventurian;67760 wrote:

Again Bo, if you'd done your research you'd know that getting Africans to stop having sex means changing huge cultural practices, that is how they survive, their children work the land, the more children the more money, that is how they survive. So it's never going to happen as easily as that, y'know.