God Cannot Do the Impossible

Fido

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 10:51 am
@Bonaventurian,
God would be a perfect candidate; since God is impossible nothing is impossible for the impossible... If you cannot conceive of the being, how can you consider an attribute of the being???We get our reality whole, and so our concepts are whole... Where is the half a dog??? In a bun??? Since we know we cannot conceive of infinites, every moment we lose in trying to is lost to our own benefit, even to our own survival... Do you want to gamble anything, any time, any mental activity when you do not know yet what you will need at the end, to get you beyond the end to another tomorrow??? Think of what thought is good for...
ACWaller

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 11:30 am
@Fido,
Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto, half not be.
But half the bee has got to be
Vis a vis, its entity. D'you see?

YouTube - Monty Python - Eric the Half a Bee (Music video made by me)
0 Replies

Behold

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:06 pm
@Bonaventurian,
I really enjoyed this post. Though there are several things impossible to some and possible for others. Your example of what God cannot do "Make it rain and not rain at the same time in the same place" was interesting. In my non-proffesional opinion we as human beings are far too infintesimal in our logic and understanding to give to God any limits. . . .logical or not. In the bible it says "The ways of God are higher than our ways, his thoughts are higher than our own". Not that I disagree with you, but the only reason that you believe it to be impossible for it to both rain and not rain at the same time in the same place, is because GOD HIMSELF made it a logical fallicy in your mind. If HE wanted to, he could make the possibility of it completely logical to you. (The mind of course being falty and constantly aging and deteriorating). The wisest man is the one who assumes he knows not......I know not who first spoke that quote. My point is, God has given us barriers in our conscious minds, Obviously. We haven't even fully grasped the Universe we are in! The Bible says God has measured the universe with the span of his hand!

In the Creation account in the book of Genesis, God created plant life before sunlight. Sound like a falicy? How can plants live without the sun!?
We shouldn't search for things that God can't do. All we prove to ourselves in the meantime is that we can't do it, and that God has not awarded us the understanding of such a thing ever coming to pass.
0 Replies

Behold

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:14 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Does God evolve does he know everything the eternal past present and into the eternal future.

If he does he must be an unhappy chappy with no challenges of his own.

I think the universe could be an ongoing experiment be God

This might be confusing,..God doesn't just know the past, present and future....He lives in them simultaneously! You've probably heard the quote "There are no watches in heaven". If God is beyond time then he already lives in what we know as 'the future'. So instead of foreknowledge I think it is actual experiance! The God says in the bible "Before the earths foundations were made I knew you". Meaning that in our experiance of time before time, he was already living in the future. :sarcastic:
Alan McDougall

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2009 04:25 pm
@Behold,
Behold

Quote:

This might be confusing,..God doesn't just know the past, present and future....He lives in them simultaneously! You've probably heard the quote "There are no watches in heaven". If God is beyond time then he already lives in what we know as 'the future'. So instead of foreknowledge I think it is actual experiance! The God says in the bible "Before the earths foundations were made I knew you". Meaning that in our experiance of time before time, he was already living in the future

I know my quote was silly and it was not really serious. God of course does not exist in linear time, cause and effect etc.

God I think exists in an Ever Moment or a ever changing Now. I think he observes our universe much like a helicopter pilot does when flying over a village. The pilot can observe the whole picture all at once and likewise so can God observe the whole universe in one moment?

I Have also postulated that God might see the whole picture of existence from beginning to end like separate frames on an unravelled movie reel
Elmud

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2009 07:43 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Well the Biblical God said it is impossible for him to lie.

1) could god make a rock to heavy for him to carry ?

2) could god make pi equal to exactly 3 ?

3) could god destroy himself ?

40 could god make a circular triangle and so on and so on??

Why would god want to?
0 Replies

Axis Austin

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 05:42 pm
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall wrote:
Behold

I know my quote was silly and it was not really serious. God of course does not exist in linear time, cause and effect etc.

God I think exists in an Ever Moment or a ever changing Now. I think he observes our universe much like a helicopter pilot does when flying over a village. The pilot can observe the whole picture all at once and likewise so can God observe the whole universe in one moment?

I Have also postulated that God might see the whole picture of existence from beginning to end like separate frames on an unravelled movie reel

Of course God doesn't exist in linear time. :sarcastic:
Having studied the subject, I can say it's not so clear. And if does see all times at once, can he interact with any specific time? If so, is he temporal insofar as he acts?

I do like the helicopter analogy (it's better than my analogy of God sitting on top of a hill overlook the valley of humanity).
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:23 pm
@Bonaventurian,
More witless speculation upon the nature of God no one knows the smallest detail about... I don't think I can ever get enough... This is posted in the theology section, right??? I would hate it if this squeezed under the philosophy fence..
0 Replies

Axis Austin

Reply Thu 12 Mar, 2009 07:58 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Yes, the same kind of witless speculation you've produced. And do you have any defense of your thesis that "no one knows the smallest detail about (God)"? And oh the theology vs. philosophy of religion rant. Great.

Perhaps you're just playing around with a post like that, but why bother with those negative, empty comments. Actively engage or keep it to yourself. thanks. Smile
Fido

Reply Fri 13 Mar, 2009 05:13 am
@Axis Austin,
Axis Austin wrote:
Yes, the same kind of witless speculation you've produced. And do you have any defense of your thesis that "no one knows the smallest detail about (God)"? And oh the theology vs. philosophy of religion rant. Great.

Perhaps you're just playing around with a post like that, but why bother with those negative, empty comments. Actively engage or keep it to yourself. thanks. Smile

Well, if I read Kant correctly, then we can only have finite knowledge of finite reality... I realize this is in the philosophy of religion branch... Perhaps I should not have even bothered to subscribed because such specualtion does not even qualify as philosophy... Or perhaps I should visit and put on the virtual badge of the thought police and call people on their reasoning...
0 Replies

meditationyoga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:32 am
@Bonaventurian,
He could create the impossible in nothing. And he could also be nothing. But other than that God can limit himself if he choses. Thus he has unlimited power, so for fun and as a game he puts himself in games where he can't get out. And where he is limited and mortal. Thus, this is the game, and you and I are god. But there is an end to that game and that becomes the question and pursuit that drives us.
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 06:53 am
@meditationyoga,
meditationyoga;70275 wrote:
He could create the impossible in nothing. And he could also be nothing. But other than that God can limit himself if he choses. Thus he has unlimited power, so for fun and as a game he puts himself in games where he can't get out. And where he is limited and mortal. Thus, this is the game, and you and I are god. But there is an end to that game and that becomes the question and pursuit that drives us.

You know; we may be insignificant, and characterized by nothing but inability, and yet, as long as we have God we will never be powerless...You may not be nobody, but if your lord is somebody you can be somebody's nobody... And that is what I want to be...
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 07:15 am
@Bonaventurian,
Could god become infinitely stupid?
Fido

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 08:42 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;70309 wrote:
Could god become infinitely stupid?

Better: He could make smart people think he was...You know...Nipples on a man, lids on toilets, garbage cans and laundry baskets...Who needs that crap???
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 11:04 am
@Fido,
Fido;70323 wrote:
Better: He could make smart people think he was...You know...Nipples on a man, lids on toilets, garbage cans and laundry baskets...Who needs that crap???

Fido the nipples on a man "were/are just in case" they are needed, much like a mechanical crank on a Rolls Royce :bigsmile:
Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 12:22 pm
@Bonaventurian,
Bonaventurian;38368 wrote:

If someone creates something, the logical sequence (even if there's no temporal sequence) is basically this:

Concept of the thing in the mind (Knowledge) -> Intention to create -> The act of creation

For example, take a carpenter. Before a carpenter makes a house, he first has to know what a house is. Knowing what a house is, he has to will to make one. Willing, he then creates it.

Likewise in God we find the same logical sequence. God knows all possibilities in knowing Himself. Knowing all possibilities in knowing Himself, He wills. Willing, He creates from all eternity.

What is obvious from the above is that both knowledge and intentionality require a proper object. You must know a thing. You must intend that thing.

I want to point out an interesting thought I had here. No one has ever created anything in the sense that it is generally though by the religious that god has. They have manipulated what was already there into a different form. Anything that is possible is a preexisting aspect of the object(s) being manipulated, so nothing new is created, its just that old things are rearranged. Creation in a total sense is alien to humans, yet we ascribe this action to god. We have never experienced(I would argue even mentally) absolute creation in the sense that seems to be implied in God's creation of the universe, so we are left with a vague concept that we cannot totally grasp.

I can conceive of an entity that rearranges, but I do not know what is meant to create from scratch, as I have no mental or logical picture of nothing(what would precede something). So when we speak of god the creator, we must consider this creation in terms of the human paradigm. The problem is that many creationists seem to disagree with that claim, so all they are left with logically, is that we cannot know the mechanism by which some ill defined event occurred that relates to a creator(in some ill defined sense).

I don't know if you are in the same boat, or even if there might be a few flaws in what I have put foreword. It simply seems like an idea worth discussing

Going back to the idea of "the impossible." When I say "the impossible" I mean contradictions. I say that God cannot make it both rain and not rain at the same time in the same place under the same circumstances...and so forth and so on. Yet, there are those who say otherwise. To them I answer in this fashion:

Suppose for a moment that "the impossible" can be willed. Well...ok. Well what's being willed? "The impossible" is not. It is not an object. It is nothing. Ok. Therefore, if God wills the impossible, He must know, will, and create nothing.

Interesting line of thought, its been said before and I think that it is valid. There is no object behind a logical contradiction. It doesn't make any sense to speak of a round square or both raining and not raining in the same time and place, because nothing is denoted by a logical contradiction, so there is nothing to make/create.

Here's the problem though:

God is the proper object (and the only object) of His intellect. If God knows nothing, then since God can only know Himself, God must be nothing.

Said another way: if God wills the impossible, then there is no God.

The moment you posit that God can will the impossible is the moment that you slip away into atheism.

Is nothing something? Can we use it as a noun or state of being? I don't think that we can. To say that 'god can will the impossible' is to speak of absolutely nothing at all. It is senseless(there is nothing behind the word, no idea is being presented).
0 Replies

meditationyoga

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:21 pm
@Fido,
I mean "nothing" as a fulfillment. The opposite of matter, spirit. Completely undestructable, untouchable. That is what I mean by nothing.
Zetetic11235

Reply Fri 19 Jun, 2009 02:24 pm
@meditationyoga,
meditationyoga;70399 wrote:
I mean "nothing" as a fulfillment. The opposite of matter, spirit. Completely undestructable, untouchable. That is what I mean by nothing.

So by nothing, you really mean nothing? I think that the essence of what you are saying is made manifest in the void behind your words.Smile
Fido

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 08:50 am
@Alan McDougall,
Alan McDougall;70361 wrote:
Fido the nipples on a man "were/are just in case" they are needed, much like a mechanical crank on a Rolls Royce :bigsmile:

You would sooner need the crank on a Rolls...
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 20 Jun, 2009 10:41 pm
@Bonaventurian,
of course all of this presumes we know what is possible....