Questions about god

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2009 09:27 pm
So whenever I ask these questions to priests, preachers, theists, etc. I dont really get satisfying answers. Usually they tell me to read certain verses in the bible. So Im just looking for better answers than what I have gotten. Im sure alot of these questions arent new but any responses are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Oh and Im using the 'omnimax' god in case you were wondering which one Wink (i.e. Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent, etc...)

1) How is free-will possible with an omniscient being?

2) If god is outside of nature: space, time, matter, energy, etc... then what is god "in"? What is god if he doesnt have matter or energy?

3) Why is god a 'he'? Why is god anthropomorphised?

4) If god is omnipotent why is there evil, the devil, suffering, etc...?

5) How is god conscious? or....How can your consciousness survive death when it needs a brain to function?

6) If god intervenes with miracles then how does god interact with nature?

That last one is alittle obscure but I'll elaborate if anyone is having a hard time understanding what Im trying to say. So ya, any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,325 • Replies: 52
No top replies

xris

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:52 am
@Kielicious,
You have to describe the god in question first. There are no answers,i have asked the same questions for years and never obtained an adequate answer.I do live in hope though.
Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:37 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
You have to describe the god in question first. There are no answers,i have asked the same questions for years and never obtained an adequate answer.I do live in hope though.

disagree..Clearly he is working on a definition; but since God as much as God can be conceived is conceived as an infinite, all any of us can do is define our definition...It is maningless, but that does mean we are meaningless.
ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
@Fido,
How is free-will possible with an omniscient being? - Would an omniscient being even let you understand?

If god is outside of nature: space, time, matter, energy, etc... then what is god "in"? What is god if he doesnt have matter or energy - Is this based on science as we know it???

Why is god a 'he'? Why is god anthropomorphised? - Who has had control of the planet for the last thousand years???

If god is omnipotent why is there evil, the devil, suffering, etc...? Refer to question 1

How is god conscious? or....How can your consciousness survive death when it needs a brain to function? - We all have needs. Do you need to survive death??

If god intervenes with miracles then how does god interact with nature? - Is the miracle not enough??

Footnote: I am not a religous person. However everything is open to interpretation and this is my interpretation.
Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:04 am
@ogre,
Well; that was helpful...Back to the Bible verses.
Fido

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:07 am
@Fido,
I'm already starting to like Ogres...I never thought I would, but there you have it...Never make up your mind before you make up your bed.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:12 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
So whenever I ask these questions to priests, preachers, theists, etc. I dont really get satisfying answers. Usually they tell me to read certain verses in the bible. So Im just looking for better answers than what I have gotten. Im sure alot of these questions arent new but any responses are appreciated. Thanks guys!

Oh and Im using the 'omnimax' god in case you were wondering which one Wink (i.e. Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnibenevolent, etc...)

2) If god is outside of nature: space, time, matter, energy, etc... then what is god "in"? What is god if he doesnt have matter or energy?

5) How is god conscious? or....How can your consciousness survive death when it needs a brain to function?

That last one is alittle obscure but I'll elaborate if anyone is having a hard time understanding what Im trying to say. So ya, any help is appreciated. Thanks.

That God knows what you are going to doesn't mean that he forced you to do it.

2. Why need God be in (or on, or by) something. Lots of things are no place. Where is the latest joke you heard?

Why is god a 'he'? Why is god anthropomorphised?

Most people think of God in those ways, I guess

If god is omnipotent why is there evil, the devil, suffering, etc...?

I don't know the answer to this, but some have argued that it would be impossible for the world to contain the good it contains, and for the world not to contain evil and suffering. For instance, compassion is a good thing, but there could be no compassion without pain and suffering.

If god intervenes with miracles then how does god interact with nature?

I don't know the answer to this. But if there are miracle, He must interact with nature.

How is god conscious? or....How can your consciousness survive death when it needs a brain to function?

I guess if there is survival of death, then consciousness does not need a brain to function.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:33 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
disagree..Clearly he is working on a definition; but since God as much as God can be conceived is conceived as an infinite, all any of us can do is define our definition...It is maningless, but that does mean we are meaningless.
What ? My conception of god if i had one could answer those questions in a completely different way to a christians or muslim..Or i could simple say its not for us to conceive of the answers only to believe..
William

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:34 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:

1) How is free-will possible with an omniscient being? Their isn't. Just assumed. Since god is beyond our understanding, free will is a construct created by man to satisfy his assumed autonomy. The notion of "free will" will always exist as long as we think we are "separate" from God, and that is impossible. It just gives us reason and justification for being in our ignorance of the truth. The greatest flaw we have ever made is our assumption that "God" created the universe, when in fact, He is the universe and the "heart" that drives it. Once we get that little bit of truth transfixed in our bean, then and only then will we begin to venture out of the fog we are in.

2) If god is outside of nature: space, time, matter, energy, etc... then what is god "in"? What is god if he doesnt have matter or energy? That's the point. He's not. He just is all of that. Beyond our understanding, you bet.

3) Why is god a 'he'? Why is god anthropomorphised? Now that's a good question. Let me give you my thoughts. Man, not woman, is more in tune, if you can call it that with God and woman is more in tune with the Earth. Peace in "heaven and earth" is that relationship between man and woman. In that relationship is the harmony between the two. The woman more in tune with the Earth is because this is were she brings her young into existence. It is the peaceful harmony between the two is what life will all be about. We will never know what life is all about until that relationship between man and woman is harmonic. On a further note, considering the magnificent contribution woman has in bringing life into existence, she should not be burdened in any respect whatsoever. The nurturing and love she offers to her young is her greatest contribution.

4) If god is omnipotent why is there evil, the devil, suffering, etc...? Considering our eternal nature, what you have mention as it relates to the overall macrocosm of our existence is but that friction we were destined to go through as we adapt to our physical existence and the unknown that lies behind death's door. It is the consequences of our greed for life that is the cause for evil and suffering. The devil is that God of the universe that was prior to our existence and it resides in the deepest depths of our mind and where it needs to stay. Only fear brings it to surface. It is that instinct that provides for the "animal kingdom". Only by eliminating fear can we eliminate that evil and bury it forever never to surface again. Our greatest fear is what lies behind deaths door and is the cause of all our misery. Death is nothing more that a cleansing process we all must go through. We don't cease to exist, only our bodies do. That's all there is to it.

5) How is god conscious? or....How can your consciousness survive death when it needs a brain to function? Does it matter? All I care to know is when I am awake and conscious, my senses are alive and teach me what I need to know. Let's not make it complicated. The brain's only responsibility is to take good care of the body unencumbered by the fear of the mind. If it has to tackle that too, the body suffers. The more at peace the mind is, the better the body functions. To associate the Mind and the brain as one, is one of our greatest wrong assumptions. They do work hand in hand, but they are totally separate. I am of the opinion the mind is the soul and who we are. The body is just what we scoot around in. Ha. Once the mind and the body are in synch, then we truly begin to know what life has in store for us. It is all about harmony and chaos is not a part of it.

6) If god intervenes with miracles then how does god interact with nature? First God and nature are one and the same. Miracles are those rare instances in which we are in tune with the oneness of it all and they are rare as it relates to our present state of mind. Once we become in tune and realize our part in that oneness, the miracles become what our life has to offer. You talk about something to look forward to. Wow! :a-ok:
Reeling myself back in now. I hope my thoughts helped. Cheers.
William
ogre

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:40 am
@xris,
If I had no conception of either, then I would not even have an understanding of belief or belief. Therefore what do I know is true???
xris

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:46 am
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:

1 ..if you get on a train for a destiny are you predetermine your journey..? 2 What is existing is it living in this universe with space and time ? could there be another ethereal place with no space occupied by mass and time.Its a matter of possiblity not knowledge. 3 God is the word that describes what you dont know so is his gender. 4 . god is not a thinking individual as you conceive of "him" he is a creative force with the complete god being part of the whole..you and me.We are his conscience we are his ability to exist in this universe he is not evil or benevolent only through us. 5 see the last answer.6 he does not act in miracles its a human illusion of incidental activities.
Kielicious

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:11 pm
@xris,
Thanks for the replies.

Kennethamy I still have a dilemma with the issue of free-will.

If god knows what you are going to do, then how arent you predestined to go to hell or heaven or purgatory or whatever. He already knows before hand right...? So he knows what you are going to choose or do, right?
Resha Caner

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:23 pm
@Kielicious,
Kielicious wrote:
I still have a dilemma with the issue of free-will.

I wish I could remember the name of the philosopher who puzzled through this. You'd think he would be better known, but he remains a minor name and I can never remember it ... nor do justice to the elegance of his answer.

Augustine also answers this question, and cuts right to the chase. I have to admit I thought Augustine very unsatisfying until I stumbled onto others who expanded on what he said. Once I got it, and boiled it down to its essence, I came back to Augustine's answer:

We have free will because God chooses to give it to us. In other words, he chooses not to know in advance what choices we will make, thereby short-circuiting all the arguments that his knowing takes away our free will.

This, then, seems to mean he is not omniscent. By some definitions it does appear that way. The key is to understand that omniscence means he knows the outcome of all possible choices - both those we make and those we don't make. Therefore, he can predestine certain outcomes (such as Jesus' birth) without predestining all our choices - without even knowing what choices we will eventually make.
Solace

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 11:07 pm
@Resha Caner,
Can someone tell me what is so great about free will anyway?

Let me pose a situation and then tell me honestly if you think free will should be allowed to the individual. The individual is a child. (Bear in mind, Christ said that unless you come as a little child...) This particular child tells daddy that he wants to go out and play on the busy street. Well, should daddy tell the child that he has the right to choose, that he has free will?

Now, don't come back to me with any of this nonsense about not being of an age to make rational choices regarding one's safety. Do that and you're not coming as a child. As pertains to God, we're talking about salvation here and eternal damnation. Do you really want that choice to be left in your hands? Could you ever, no matter how capable you become of rationalizing and safeguarding yourself, be considered anything other than a child when put beside God? Well, if you're going to be a child, then be a child. Be his child.

The biggest mistake that man ever made was asking for the right to choose. That's an adult's right, the right to choose. But hey, if you want God to treat you like an adult then go ahead and insist on it. But if you don't like the outcome, just don't bother getting upset with him because he let you have your own way.
xris

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 04:27 am
@Solace,
You can see the confusion can you not ? What God are we talking about? The christian God he is open for scrutiny and he does not bare up to examination. Any preconceived ideas about God are installed into us, they are not our thoughts or our understandings.If we where to ever find God we must reinvent him to serve his purpose .The definition the examinatiuon must be sound. The problem is when you try to find him or her they fade away he becomes more obscure. So you must ask why do we need him or need to know him ? Let those who need him prove him. So all these questions are asking only one, prove him? The simple answer is you cant..
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 06:57 am
@William,
William wrote:
3) Why is god a 'he'? Why is god anthropomorphised? Now that's a good question. Let me give you my thoughts. Man, not woman, is more in tune, if you can call it that with God and woman is more in tune with the Earth. Peace in "heaven and earth" is that relationship between man and woman. In that relationship is the harmony between the two. The woman more in tune with the Earth is because this is were she brings her young into existence. It is the peaceful harmony between the two is what life will all be about. We will never know what life is all about until that relationship between man and woman is harmonic. On a further note, considering the magnificent contribution woman has in bringing life into existence, she should not be burdened in any respect whatsoever. The nurturing and love she offers to her young is her greatest contribution.

The question might seem whimsical, and somewhat late, but it's going to bug me until it's answered. What about transvestites? Pan-genders? "Purples", as some call themselves because the actual description is far too long for most to comprehend? These people don't fit in to the black and white categories you have presented. And please don't tell me they're freaks like some do, these people have treated me kinder than any other stranger I have met.

To Xris, you may not be able to prove god, but you also cannot disprove god- you can only disprove human teachings and doctrines. I just prefer to think of the whole situation as 'the unknown', a satisfactory enough answer because there's always a chance for surprise!
xris

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 07:32 am
@Kolbe,
Kolbe wrote:
The question might seem whimsical, and somewhat late, but it's going to bug me until it's answered. What about transvestites? Pan-genders? "Purples", as some call themselves because the actual description is far too long for most to comprehend? These people don't fit in to the black and white categories you have presented. And please don't tell me they're freaks like some do, these people have treated me kinder than any other stranger I have met.

To Xris, you may not be able to prove god, but you also cannot disprove god- you can only disprove human teachings and doctrines. I just prefer to think of the whole situation as 'the unknown', a satisfactory enough answer because there's always a chance for surprise!
The problem for me and for many, did we create a need for a god in our hours of darkness or did god show himself.The holy scriptures say he did and those scriptures are the only evidence for him showing himself .I dont believe the holy scriptures by my logic. So we are left with a need ,is that need enough to make us search for him?
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 08:22 am
@Kielicious,
Well that's, in some part, the problem. The teachings of god, or gods, at times in our lives when we seek dependance is what brings faith. As a child, most are taught about god and, if kept in this totalitarian environment, most will develop into a full believer. There are also the sick and depressed, who proclaim in the streets about how they feel better thanks to their faith (though one did admit to me his headaches (symptom of his fatal illness) were only supressed, and were coming back). That is a good point, maybe god is only there because of a need for him.
Dichanthelium

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 09:39 am
@Kolbe,
One way to approach all these questions (as at least one other person has emphasized) is to start by defining the term "God." That doesn't mean that you then find satisfactory answers, but it places the questions within a context. It reduces the chance that different people with widely diverging concepts of "God" will supply widely divergent answers without realizing why the answers are so divergent.

And by the way... I would suggest that defining the term "God" doesn't mean that we define God in God's essential self. It just gives us a starting point.
ogre

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 10:21 am
@Dichanthelium,
In order to gain a better understanding of the question is to unlearn all that we think we know about god. As Xris so eloquently implied - all that we know of god is what we have learned from previous generations.

Humans are fallible creatures and over the course of centuries stories change. Hell, speaking in laymans terms... a story that is transferred from one to another with only 7 or so iterations is completely and in some cases totally diverse from the original context.

If one is also to assume that the Roman Catholic church decided what was to be included and excluded from the bible, how can one begin to even understand the true concept of "God" in the first place.

In essence, one must first know absolutely, and unconditionally nothing!!! Only then will the remotest chance of an answer present itself. And almost always it will contain information relevant to the individual who receives it.

Who then believes??
0 Replies