Can government be "outgrown"?

Dave Allen

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 02:58 pm
@Icon,
I don't know about that - oligarchies have always governed. They give themselves different labels, and accept different conditions for gaining and retaining power, but the first governments were oligarchies and the last ones will be.
GoshisDead

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:49 pm
@Fido,
Humans, no matter how much we claim "rational thought" and free will are biologically pack animals. Put two people on an island one will defer to the other. Governments are simply mass versions of this same sort of hierarchy. When there is a population of 80 or less (band) egalitarianism of sorts can thrive. As the population grows the system turns from band to tribe where there is a big man or chief, then to chieftan, then to kingdom then to state then to nation and we are verging on the global. There have been very few documented or archaeologically speculated "civilizations" that skipped one of these governmental forms as their population grew.

Every socio-cultural group in our lives is built on this pack mentality, families, schools, churches, clubs. Any social event has a "government". IMO a government is just a highly symbolic version of the accepted hierarchy of pack.

In order to transcend Government we would have to transcend biology.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 09:09 pm
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
I don't know about that - oligarchies have always governed. They give themselves different labels, and accept different conditions for gaining and retaining power, but the first governments were oligarchies and the last ones will be.

All other forms but democracy rule...Only democracies govern, for there each person first governs themeselves and then seek to govern all that without goverment would govern the people...Nothing is left to fate, or faith...Each does what is possible within ones power to protect the society and members from accident or enemies... That is self government...
0 Replies

Dave Allen

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:04 am
@Icon,
The two democracies I know of well, the UK and US, are pretty much two-party states and the members of those parties are largely trained career politicians who know how to manipulate the media and other forms of advertising to gather popular support.

Once in power both parties from either system have poor track records of keeping promises or abiding by referenda. Of course things are left to faith - people have faith in the manifesto of those they chose to vote for. As for fate - how much of the western democratic political discourse since 9/11 been dictated by something that was completely out of the common man's perception of control or expectation?

This is not my own idea of self government (though I think it might be the best we can do).

It's the lesser of varied evils though - I would agree with that - it is self government relative to certain totalitarian systems - but they are still oligarchial systems. In order to join the oligarchy one usually has to be a trained career politician, or know how to play the game invented by the trained career politicians.

The benefit of the democratic system is that one oligarchy can be replaced by another oligarchy if the former oligarchy is inept, and that this process is usually relatively bloodless.

But if you think democracy = choice you've just fallen for democracy's foremost media trick.
GoshisDead

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 02:21 am
@Dave Allen,
The US is a representative republic, which does not actually mean one person one vote. I'm pretty sure Fido is talking about a true democracy where it is one person one vote. Some might call it mob rule.
thysin

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 03:05 am
@GoshisDead,
Yeah I was under the impression that the United States was supposed to be a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. From everything I've read it just seems like politicians have accused the constitution of being ambiguous and then translating it to suit their purposes...probably old hat dicussion there. I don't think the constitution is ambiguous at all when all other texts from our founding fathers are used to put some perspective on their ideals.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:26 am
@Fido,
Yea, I think the question - as I took it - evolved into this:
[INDENT]If humanity was to evolve to the highest levels of intelligence, respect, compassion, courtesy and empathy (all of humanity), is there any reason for anyone to have any government at all?
[/INDENT]To me, the answer would like in: Is there something necessary that a_government could provide (by mustering the resources of all people in a unified fashion) that individuals acting on their own, couldn't?

I think there are, but admittedly, I'd need to think though this more.

Good discussion, thanks.
Caroline

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 05:28 am
@Khethil,
Khethil wrote:
Yea, I think the question - as I took it - evolved into this:
[INDENT]If humanity was to evolve to the highest levels of intelligence, respect, compassion, courtesy and empathy (all of humanity), is there any reason for anyone to have any government at all?
[/INDENT]To me, the answer would like in: Is there something necessary that a_government could provide (by mustering the resources of all people in a unified fashion) that individuals acting on their own, couldn't?

I think there are, but admittedly, I'd need to think though this more.

Good discussion, thanks.

i think there would be things the masses would have to agree on, like laws.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 07:46 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
The two democracies I know of well, the UK and US, are pretty much two-party states and the members of those parties are largely trained career politicians who know how to manipulate the media and other forms of advertising to gather popular support.

Once in power both parties from either system have poor track records of keeping promises or abiding by referenda. Of course things are left to faith - people have faith in the manifesto of those they chose to vote for. As for fate - how much of the western democratic political discourse since 9/11 been dictated by something that was completely out of the common man's perception of control or expectation?

This is not my own idea of self government (though I think it might be the best we can do).

It's the lesser of varied evils though - I would agree with that - it is self government relative to certain totalitarian systems - but they are still oligarchial systems. In order to join the oligarchy one usually has to be a trained career politician, or know how to play the game invented by the trained career politicians.

The benefit of the democratic system is that one oligarchy can be replaced by another oligarchy if the former oligarchy is inept, and that this process is usually relatively bloodless.

But if you think democracy = choice you've just fallen for democracy's foremost media trick.

If you think your so called democracies are democracies there really is not much hope for you... They are designed to limit choice and limit freedom and protect privilage and profit...Majority rule is not self government...If it is democratic it is not a democracy, just as being athletic does not make an athlete...And party rule is not self government either...In fact, the parties put one more wall between government and the people...If our government holds unity as a stated goal, is there some reason party division should be accepted before the fact??? Is there some reason, when the parties are not provided for in the constitution that we must first move parties to move government???

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:46 AM ----------

Caroline wrote:
i think there would be things the masses would have to agree on, like laws.

Law is just another form, and actually one that rests upon government..

We have informal relationships...I do not think we have any relationship entirely without form...We have to quit thinking of government (which we do not have) as the problem... People form governments and form all relationships for a good purpose, but in time they are infested by parasite, and the only thing people can do is reform, or rather, form a new one...It is not that the form is bad, but that people being what they are will play for advantage, and then the form is turned from its purpose...Thanks...
Dave Allen

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:07 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
If you think your so called democracies are democracies there really is not much hope for you... They are designed to limit choice and limit freedom and protect privilage and profit...Majority rule is not self government...If it is democratic it is not a democracy, just as being athletic does not make an athlete...And party rule is not self government either...In fact, the parties put one more wall between government and the people...If our government holds unity as a stated goal, is there some reason party division should be accepted before the fact??? Is there some reason, when the parties are not provided for in the constitution that we must first move parties to move government???
Is your overarching point a semantical one about your insights into the words democracy and government then?
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Sat 11 Apr, 2009 08:11 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
The US is a representative republic, which does not actually mean one person one vote. I'm pretty sure Fido is talking about a true democracy where it is one person one vote. Some might call it mob rule.

Not mob rule... If everyone is the government, who would any mob be turned against?? In fact, democracies are defensive in that they provide a common defense of the people and of their rights...But democracy also protect the individual in his private business so long as it does not negatively affect his society... You look at the consensus government of the Iroquois confederacy...Those people were charged with considering all issues for its effect on the next seven generations...Our government cannot consider the future for seven minutes ahead...It is totally reactive to trouble and concedes all reason to ideology... That is not majority rule, or mob rule, but is oligarchy, or plutocracy...It is no better than mob rule, but worse, because the mob is incredibly small...The fact is that democracy is self governmment, and not rule of any sort...
0 Replies

Bones-O

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 06:32 am
@Icon,
Well, it's an easy enough question to analyse. Break down everything the government does and ask if each is possible without government. For instance, its capacity to control behaviour (law) could be made redundant if the human race evolved toward a universal ethical code.
Fido

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:10 am
@Bones-O,
Bones-O! wrote:
Well, it's an easy enough question to analyse. Break down everything the government does and ask if each is possible without government. For instance, its capacity to control behaviour (law) could be made redundant if the human race evolved toward a universal ethical code.

We don't need codes because codes don't work...Anyone who is not born mentally deformed knows how people should behave toward others...
GoshisDead

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 11:19 am
@Fido,
Fido wrote:
We don't need codes because codes don't work...Anyone who is not born mentally deformed knows how people should behave toward others...

Have you ever raised kids? Do you understand the massive effort it is just to make sure they know right from wrong enough not to go to jail when they get older?
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:10 am
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Have you ever raised kids? Do you understand the massive effort it is just to make sure they know right from wrong enough not to go to jail when they get older?

Sure...I have children and I was one...We did not have much, but almost always worked together... My ex-wife as a child had much more, with far less of responsibility, and she tried as a child to kill her baby brother by pushing him down the stairs... Her grandchildren (and mine, both of whom are perhaps worth more than myself even as children- fight, and the oldest will smack her little sister, under 18 months... I think it is simply easier to share poverty and hardship than wealth....People do not feel the freedom to lay down the law with their children, but catching an older child wailing on another is a good excuse to wail the bejesus out of him and explaining what a family is about, which is the lesson many never get about what society is about... If they feel free to attack others to get their way they never get better, unless some one raises them right and straitens them out.. Morality is learned at the mother's knee, and my mother is just a little old lady now; but I remember when she was as big as a giant, and spikes grew out of her paw...If she got a hold of you doing something wrong, by Christ Almighty, she could throw the fear of God into your mortal soul... All this namby pamby, please don't throw that brick at your sister shet is nonsense...When morality works, the child learns his place...If it is some small community surrounded by enemies one learns their friends...You have to learn to take a beating and give one...If the greater danger is ones society, the children need to learn the parent's authority, how ever slight, or else the child will have to suffer the authority of police or law...People learn their limits, even if stangers have to teach...No pain is worse than an injury recieved in the home of ones friends, but it is a blessing....

So, again, codes and laws are essentially pointless...The ability to feel for people because you feel their pain is essential, which you learn when you suffer with them the injustice you deliver... I have an idea that many killers are only children, and never learn to relate...There ought to be other ways to force relationship for those without siblings, but the problem with morality is ultimately from those who cannot relate their pain, and their pleasure with the pain and pleasure of those around them..If their parents are stupid, they get the idea that everyone is stupid....Community is morality...Communities have authority over their own...
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:54 am
@Dave Allen,
Dave Allen wrote:
The reason for these disparate interest groups is that people are individuals who have conflicting needs and desires. Humanity is not an actor.

That was my original point.

Quote:
At the risk of putting words into your mouth, I detect a bit of "if only everyone were an individualist, like me" argument brewing here - surely it's an oxymoron? No one, as far as I am aware, denies that people are individuals. The various degrees of generalising or grouping people under governments comes about due to differing degrees of worry about the individual desires of neighbours, rivals, strangers and so on (and, of course, manipulation of that worry by those who seek power).

The irony seems to me to be that because humanity is not an actor, and has no telelogical movement towards putting government behind it - ever more sophisticated governments are held up as actors on behalf of groups of people.

I think that there is a general movement to put government behind us. History shows us that, as technology advances, and people become more and more productive, they have gained more powers of negotiation, and therefore there has been a general progression towards liberty.

Quote:
Fair enough - no one can deny that those who seek power are, on an individual level, rarely without a thuggish aspect.

However, isn't this simply an ugly truth of those who seek power, and whatever system is developed power seekers will act as thugs to exploit it? People are not alike in appetite for power, and not alike in the skill needed to aquire and retain it.

Better to have thugs where you see them and have some degree of holding them to account.

If you can tell me what goes on in government and how it all works you are better informed than I am. The only people who really understand how government works are the ones who buy into it in the first place.

And state holds itself to account meaning it isn't held to account. Remember the constitution, the document that is supposed to provide the limitations of government. Its completely worthless because legislators know it needn't be consulted.

Quote:
I know of no state that promises it's citizens that this is a dainty world. Those utopian visionaries who do promise us a dainty world also seem to go on to create the most horrific states.

Those states which are most successful are those who are good at perpetually portraying themselves as a solution. That is the politicians job. That is why successful governments are necessarily bad governments. The subtle creation of problems by the state provides more "legitimacy" for the state.
GoshisDead

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:26 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Fido:
Ah okay, although i still don't agree with the larger picture of no need for a government, and think people have a fundamental utopian mistudnerstanding of human nature concerning "democracy/anarchy", at least now i get where you are coming from, I was misunderstanding some of what you were saying before that last post. I agree whole heartedly about the need to raise children to be good people and stop enabling bad behavior into adulthood by thinking discipline is "bad fow theiw fwagiw wittow minds."
Fido

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:25 pm
@GoshisDead,
GoshisDead wrote:
Fido:
Ah okay, although i still don't agree with the larger picture of no need for a government, and think people have a fundamental utopian mistudnerstanding of human nature concerning "democracy/anarchy", at least now i get where you are coming from, I was misunderstanding some of what you were saying before that last post. I agree whole heartedly about the need to raise children to be good people and stop enabling bad behavior into adulthood by thinking discipline is "bad fow theiw fwagiw wittow minds."

I feel bad for my poor son and his wife... They will waste all kinds of time trying to reason with their oldest one... Two little a problems: until a person is reasonable, reason is wasted... And everyone has to know the rules of reason...First lay down the law... They are afraid they will injure the child's creativity or something... Too much choice only adds to the stress of a child's life...Don't ask them what they want...This isn't a damned restaurant...Hand them their plate, and tell them eat it before it gets cold...Believe it or not; they will let you do the worrying, and be happy...
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:26 pm
@Mr Fight the Power,
The only way that we can outgrow government (in its classical political system) is if we abolish the monetary system.
Khethil

Reply Tue 14 Apr, 2009 05:49 am
@hue-man,
hue-man wrote:
The only way that we can outgrow government (in its classical political system) is if we abolish the monetary system.

Wow! I'd love to see this... I'm not sure how many ill's it'd cure, but it certainly has some potential