violence and its consequence

salima

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 11:13 am
@xris,
xris, why didnt you just call the police on that guy?

i am probably the most non-violent person in the world, but in order to prevent violence from being done i might be provoked enough. but first there are usually other options-in other words there may be other ways to stop what is going to happen or is in the process of happening without actually having to resort to violence.

but of all things, committing an act of violence after the fact? to what end? and by what authority? (you may have guessed i am also against capital punishment)
xris

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 12:52 pm
@salima,
salima;74566 wrote:

i am probably the most non-violent person in the world, but in order to prevent violence from being done i might be provoked enough. but first there are usually other options-in other words there may be other ways to stop what is going to happen or is in the process of happening without actually having to resort to violence.

but of all things, committing an act of violence after the fact? to what end? and by what authority? (you may have guessed i am also against capital punishment)
She would have been intimidated by him and i have said i did not think rationally.So you think i was wrong?I wont argue with you but it was my choice at the time.I have considered, if i had thought about it would i have acted in that way but life does not always give you that chance.I would do it again, as i know myself only too well.
0 Replies

William

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:02 pm
@salima,
salima;74566 wrote:

Anger and fear override logic, sorry to say. My own thoughts as I have had time to think about what xris did, are relating to the victim in that her fear of "isolation" overrode her abuse, "freezing" her in the situation. I sincerely think that is the rule in most abuse cases. My "Ex" is going through the same scenario, though not this intense. These abuser's and I use the word reluctantly, are the lowest form of life, in my opinion. She and many others frozen in fear of isolation are the "hopeless" victims. I think in all probably,she would have been compelled out of her fear to change her story for she had become accustom to the abuse and being alone scares the hell out of her. Something the abuser knows all too well.

William
Caroline

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:15 pm
@William,
William;74614 wrote:
Anger and fear override logic, sorry to say. My own thoughts as I have had time to think about what xris did, are relating to the victim in that her fear of "isolation" overrode her abuse, "freezing" her in the situation. I sincerely think that is the rule in most abuse cases. My "Ex" is going through the same scenario, though not this intense. These abuser's and I use the word reluctantly, are the lowest form of life, in my opinion. She and many others frozen in fear of isolation are the "hopeless" victims. I think in all probably,she would have been compelled out of her fear to change her story for she had become accustom to the abuse and being alone scares the hell out of her. Something the abuser knows all too well.

William

And not only that the abuser will do everything in his/her power to keep them there making it even more difficult to find and reach out for help. And having children can make it even harder to leave if he/she can leave especially when they are young, if it is the mother being abused the strong bond between her and her children means almost all women chose to stay because they cannot leave their own children. Some woman dont know how to get help, they may know womens refuges exist but they might not know anything about them or may have just heard bad thing about them, it is a very daunting process to leave and start out on your own when you're downtrodden or black and blue or in hospital. But not impossible and refuges do a great job. It's getting the woman and her children there and keeping her there that is the most work, (IMO).
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 03:35 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;74394 wrote:
I hate violence. Makes me physically ill to see it, feel it, be exposed to it in any way. It is everywhere you look. Turn your head to avoid it, its in the opposite direction as well. Its like a plague. Forces its way into the lives of us all.

It doesn't seem to me that violence against Hitler was such a bad idea. Nor, against Saadam, if it comes to that. Or the Taliban. Sometimes, not being violent harms the victims, and help the doers of evil. That seems to me immoral.
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:19 pm
@xris,
Yes the worse thing you can do is nothing, (im not talking about using violence).
kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:25 pm
@Caroline,
Caroline;74625 wrote:
Yes the worse thing you can do is nothing, (im not talking about using violence).

Why not, if that is necessary? What should we do? Let Hitler make some of us into lampshades in order to avoid violence. The best way to do evil is not to oppose evil.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:45 pm
@kennethamy,
But violent opposition is not the only option. To make the leap from "we must do something" to "we must do violence" requires something more than the recognition of a problem.

Non-violent resistance has succeeded in the past. The only strike against non-violent resistance is that it is much more difficult for our brutish species than wielding a club.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 04:52 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;74629 wrote:
But violent opposition is not the only option. To make the leap from "we must do something" to "we must do violence" requires something more than the recognition of a problem.

Non-violent resistance has succeeded in the past. The only strike against non-violent resistance is that it is much more difficult for our brutish species than wielding a club.

Non-violent resistance succeeded against the British. But the Nazis were not the British. It is as simple as that. The Iranian students who have been killed, and who are even now being tortured, were dealing with religious fanatics. Passive resistance would only feed them. Sorry about the world. But there it is.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:11 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74630 wrote:
Non-violent resistance succeeded against the British. But the Nazis were not the British. It is as simple as that. The Iranian students who have been killed, and who are even now being tortured, were dealing with religious fanatics. Passive resistance would only feed them. Sorry about the world. But there it is.

Were the Nazi's not human, like the British?

And the Iranian students have not ended their struggle. It has been going on for quite some time, and success may yet be theirs if they are careful.

Sorry about the world? I don't see your point: Gandhi was able to over throw the imperial rule of one of the most powerful nations in the world without use of violence. That's no small feat.

And non-violent resistence has been successful elsewhere as well.
Nonviolent resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's the world, and while it's rough, I'm not the least bit sorry for being in it.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:33 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;74636 wrote:
Were the Nazi's not human, like the British?

And the Iranian students have not ended their struggle. It has been going on for quite some time, and success may yet be theirs if they are careful.

Sorry about the world? I don't see your point: Gandhi was able to over throw the imperial rule of one of the most powerful nations in the world without use of violence. That's no small feat.

And non-violent resistence has been successful elsewhere as well.
Nonviolent resistance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's the world, and while it's rough, I'm not the least bit sorry for being in it.

What makes you think I said that the Nazis were not human? They were different from the British. The British dealt with passive resistance in India as they did. The Nazis in their way. Maybe the Iranian students will succeed. I hope so. But the fanatics who know that if the students succeed, then they are done for, will not go down without a struggle. In the meantime, it is the students who are being tortured and murdered.

What I meant by, "sorry about the world" was only that the British are the kind of people who put limits on their actions. The Nazis did not, and neither will the Iranian mullahs, or the suicide-bombers. That is how it is, You will have to deal with it.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 05:48 pm
@kennethamy,
My point is that saying the Nazis were not the British is irrelevant to the consideration of whether or not non-violent resistance could have been a successful strategy for undermining Nazi rule. As a matter of historical fact, non-violent resistance did play a role in bringing down Nazi Germany.

Why you think that the British are somehow more humane than any other nationality is beyond me. Again, go check out the history of non-violent resistance. It has succeeded against a great many barbaric nations - Communist Russia being roughly as barbaric as Nazi Germany.

I find a little time to study history, and am able to deal with the realities. I do not entertain any fantasy notions of non-violent resistance; every person who has championed such effort has noted the difficulty of such campaigns. I do not ignore their experience. Neither do I ignore their success.

You should be glad to learn of the non-violent potential, not so stubborn as to tell me that I will have to deal with some mistaken understanding of the world to which you cynically cling.
Alan McDougall

Reply Fri 3 Jul, 2009 06:31 pm
@Elmud,
Elmud;74394 wrote:
I hate violence. Makes me physically ill to see it, feel it, be exposed to it in any way. It is everywhere you look. Turn your head to avoid it, its in the opposite direction as well. Its like a plague. Forces its way into the lives of us all.

In my youth I was extremely strong and with my mood disorder to add to the mix of my attributes I was involved in many violent physical encounters (fights). None of them gave me any satisfaction,all they did was traumatise me and leave me mentally disturbed for weeks on end.

We are almost force fed violence by the media and TV etc, to the extent that we distance ourselves .

Over here in South Africa we have the second highest crime rate in the world. I wrote an article about my country the Title "The walled of nation"

(I believe only Colombia has a higher rate?)

It is a case of the inmates running free and the wardens (Law abiding members of the public) locking themselves up behind high walls, electric fences, burler bars armed guards.

You don't let you kids run free over here. My grandson while riding to school has been violently pushed off his bike with the criminals swine's stealing three of his bicycles in the process . My second eldest daughter had her home broken into, just escaping being raped or murdered.The whole house cleaned out to the extent these bastards even stealing the kettle

There is not one person in South Africa who has not been directly affected/effected by crime over here, this includes all population groups not just people of European/ancestry origin like me

South Africa has 4 times as many private security guards as policemen. Security not gold, is becoming the biggest money earning machine in SA

The USA is still considered a violent society, the appalling average murder statistics for that huge country is about 25 thousand a year

America has a population of 300 million people South Africa has one approx a seventh of that at at approx 46 million people

America 25 thousand murders a year!

South Africa official 30 thousand a year

True murder rate 50 thousand a year.

The murders committed on innocent people in this what should have been beautiful land, almost equals the Iraq war.

I would not choose SA as a tourist destination if I lived overseas, and I wonder what factor crime will pay in next years world soccer cup?

Corruption in African states is unbelievably high, you should know this by the constant spam by these idiots telling you you have won a huge lotto without ever buying a ticket
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 02:14 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;74626 wrote:
Why not, if that is necessary? What should we do? Let Hitler make some of us into lampshades in order to avoid violence. The best way to do evil is not to oppose evil.

Sorry i didnt explain properly, ok use self-defence if it's the last resort such as fight Hitler but if you dont need violence then don't use it, if you know someone is being abused dont do nothing pick up the phone.
0 Replies

xris

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2009 03:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;74645 wrote:
My point is that saying the Nazis were not the British is irrelevant to the consideration of whether or not non-violent resistance could have been a successful strategy for undermining Nazi rule. As a matter of historical fact, non-violent resistance did play a role in bringing down Nazi Germany.

Why you think that the British are somehow more humane than any other nationality is beyond me. Again, go check out the history of non-violent resistance. It has succeeded against a great many barbaric nations - Communist Russia being roughly as barbaric as Nazi Germany.

I find a little time to study history, and am able to deal with the realities. I do not entertain any fantasy notions of non-violent resistance; every person who has championed such effort has noted the difficulty of such campaigns. I do not ignore their experience. Neither do I ignore their success.

You should be glad to learn of the non-violent potential, not so stubborn as to tell me that I will have to deal with some mistaken understanding of the world to which you cynically cling.
Thomas your ideal world of silent protest is naive in the extreme.Do you honestly think Hitler would have been impressed with peaceful conversation?The Jews hardly put up and armed struggle before they where shunted of to the gas chambers.Do you think my friends husband would have responded to a little chat over a cup of tea?

---------- Post added 07-04-2009 at 04:44 AM ----------

Alan McDougall;74662 wrote:
In my youth I was extremely strong and with my mood disorder to add to the mix of my attributes I was involved in many violent physical encounters (fights). None of them gave me any satisfaction,all they did was traumatise me and leave me mentally disturbed for weeks on end.

We are almost force fed violence by the media and TV etc, to the extent that we distance ourselves .

Over here in South Africa we have the second highest crime rate in the world. I wrote an article about my country the Title "The walled of nation"

(I believe only Colombia has a higher rate?)

It is a case of the inmates running free and the wardens (Law abiding members of the public) locking themselves up behind high walls, electric fences, burler bars armed guards.

You don't let you kids run free over here. My grandson while riding to school has been violently pushed off his bike with the criminals swine's stealing three of his bicycles in the process . My second eldest daughter had her home broken into, just escaping being raped or murdered.The whole house cleaned out to the extent these bastards even stealing the kettle

There is not one person in South Africa who has not been directly affected/effected by crime over here, this includes all population groups not just people of European/ancestry origin like me

South Africa has 4 times as many private security guards as policemen. Security not gold, is becoming the biggest money earning machine in SA

The USA is still considered a violent society, the appalling average murder statistics for that huge country is about 25 thousand a year

America has a population of 300 million people South Africa has one approx a seventh of that at at approx 46 million people

America 25 thousand murders a year!

South Africa official 30 thousand a year

True murder rate 50 thousand a year.

The murders committed on innocent people in this what should have been beautiful land, almost equals the Iraq war.

I would not choose SA as a tourist destination if I lived overseas, and I wonder what factor crime will pay in next years world soccer cup?

Corruption in African states is unbelievably high, you should know this by the constant spam by these idiots telling you you have won a huge lotto without ever buying a ticket
What causes this explosion of violence Alan?the whites still hold the majority of land and money,have the most opportunities and are protected by another kind of apartheid,armed security forces.Poverty and the lack of expected improvements promised by democracy is the major factor.The country is too big for African politics with its tribal divisions,this European invented state should be dismantled and autonomy of its tribal areas given back.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:10 pm
@xris,
xris;74736 wrote:
Thomas your ideal world of silent protest is naive in the extreme.

My "ideal world" would not require any protest. Besides, you misunderstand: I do not suggest silent protest, instead, per my words, I suggest non-violent resistance - which happens to have been a remarkably successful tactic throughout history.

Before you call my view naive, give a shot at understanding what my view actually happens to be.

xris;74736 wrote:
Do you honestly think Hitler would have been impressed with peaceful conversation?

There is more to non-violent resistance that peaceful conversation. Should I give the history lesson, or would you like to peruse the record of the past on your own?

xris;74736 wrote:
The Jews hardly put up and armed struggle before they where shunted of to the gas chambers.

Nor did the Jewish people organize into a large scale non-violent resistance movement. I do not think many of them could have imagined the horror of what was to come, making such an organization, to them at the time, seem rather unpractical. But really, the blame rests upon the shoulders of other significant European powers for doing little to restrain German aggression. The policy towards Germany was "appeasement" - just give 'em what they want. It was an insane policy and the result was the death of untold millions.

Non-violent resistance is not appeasement. Just the opposite. At the very least, non-violent resistance would have been a far better tactic for the European powers to take.

xris;74736 wrote:
Do you think my friends husband would have responded to a little chat over a cup of tea?

[/COLOR]Did I suggest a chat over tea?

Xris, would you mind keeping your straw dogs off of my lawn? Thanks, neighbor.

As Salima suggested, a call to the police would have been a great idea. They had the evidence of her beaten body, and you could have testified that he said "she deserved it" or whatever it was that monstrous scum said.
Aedes

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2009 07:46 pm
@xris,
xris;74736 wrote:
The Jews hardly put up an armed struggle before they where shunted of to the gas chambers.
Yeah, because unlike the Nazis they didn't even have a central community let alone central organization or armed forces. For 5 years before the war started the Jews faced political persecution, but it was in Germany alone and it was mostly nonviolent. For the first 2 years of WWII, the Jews were ghettoized but were not killed en masse. By the time mass killings began in the middle of 1941, the Jews were starved and diseased. So it's not like they wouldn't have fought back with arms if they had the chance.

You might take note that more than 3 million Soviet prisoners of war died in Nazi concentration and death camps, and they put up no struggle to speak of (whereas the Jews had major uprisings in Auschwitz, Treblinka, Sobibor, Warsaw, and several other ghettos).
0 Replies

Caroline

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 12:35 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas;75182[COLOR=Black wrote:

As Salima suggested, a call to the police would have been a great idea. They had the evidence of her beaten body, and you could have testified that he said "she deserved it" or whatever it was that monstrous scum said.
[/COLOR]

Doesn't it depend on whether the woman wants to press charges, nine times out of ten they dont, and the police dont always charge them either. What im trying to say is all cases are different but probably the best thing to do is to call the police but if nothing gets done then the victim is left at the mercy of the abuser yes? It's difficult but as long as you pick up the phone and call somebody even if it's to get advise off a professional via a helpline, they'd probably advise you to call the police if someone is getting beaten
Alan McDougall

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 01:03 am
@xris,
Those that live by the sword (Always) die by the sword

Peace not war, is peace impossible?
xris

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2009 03:53 am
@Alan McDougall,
So we now have the view that the Jews IF organised could have peacefully opposed Hitlers final answer,we could have by peaceful means averted ww2.The old arguments of pacifist refusal to enter into conflict because a better way can always be found is entering into the debate.
I would dearly love to know how a group of nutters determined on world supremacy could have been diverted from their efforts by peace talks.
Mistakes where made,we did not prepare for war and Europe became extremely naive about germany's intentions.If we had made more swords Alan we might have saved those millions of Jews.Violence is not always an answer but on occassions we have no alternative.If i have to defend the weak by the sword i will and if i die in the process ,so be it.

---------- Post added 07-06-2009 at 04:57 AM ----------

Aedes;75199 wrote:
Yeah, because unlike the Nazis they didn't even have a central community let alone central organization or armed forces. For 5 years before the war started the Jews faced political persecution, but it was in Germany alone and it was mostly nonviolent. For the first 2 years of WWII, the Jews were ghettoized but were not killed en masse. By the time mass killings began in the middle of 1941, the Jews were starved and diseased. So it's not like they wouldn't have fought back with arms if they had the chance.

You might take note that more than 3 million Soviet prisoners of war died in Nazi concentration and death camps, and they put up no struggle to speak of (whereas the Jews had major uprisings in Auschwitz, Treblinka, Sobibor, Warsaw, and several other ghettos).
So whats your point Aedes,the Jews had not the opportunity and when they had they did? Im not condemning the Jews for not opposing Hitler i making the point they did not for understandable reasons but their lack of violent action did not save them.