nameless

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 07:46 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik;26085 wrote:
nameless wrote:

"We become that which we define!"

Interesting quote?

Is that a question?

(Though, honestly, it wasn't meant for you in particular. I saw the ugly ranting of your ego at the beginning of the thread and saw no room for anyone else's constructive presence, it was grace alone that I wrote what I did. Make of it as you will, I won't be drawn into your game.)

Quote:
Care to provide the source?

I have no knowledge of 'source'. It came through 'me'. It is what most would call an 'original thought'; I do not, though, claim 'origin'.

Quote:
Care to provide proof of this statement?

By it's very existence is "this statement' proven, and;
No, I do not. It would be wasted, and that you would even 'challenge' it in this manner indicates just how far you are from any understanding of anything that I might provide. Besides, I do not think you seek 'understanding' but to support that which you already believe. So, wisdom dictates that I decline..

Quote:
Is this the best attempt at an insult?

I beg your pardon! There was never an attempt at an insult!
See how the ego can distort things?
Odd that you would see it as such; the 'insult' of 'wisdom'... an 'insult to ego'.

Quote:
You are very childish and petty.

Perhaps, at times, but that in no way affects the 'value' of the words that I offer, here, to one with understanding... or axes to grind...

Quote:
We are trying to have a grown-up conversation here and you bring in name calling.

Reeeeally? OOooohhhhhhhhh, you feel that I personally called YOU evil?! Hahahaha, such a monstrous ego! My statement far transcends any particular example or Perspective. And it is true for us all. Take it as you will. Yes, 'truth' hurts! All the lies that have been your truths, previously, are now exposed and found wanting in the face of new truths; egoic image is attacked and shaken. I understand your feelings.

Quote:
I thought I left high-school but I guess you never did.

Ahem; I'm rubber, you're glue...

Quote:
And good job on "Thanking" a childish comment like this. Is this "argument for the sake of truth"? Or is it "Argument for the sake of causing trouble"?

I'm not arguing with anyone. It is only for you-ego that you 'argue'.

Quote:
Both of you, please grow-up.

Fat fukkin chance!
Every innocent child knows that grown-ups are a$$hats! And then they grow up into one?!
Send me a postcard....
(rolls eyes)
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 03:14 am
@William,
William wrote:
In the beginning perhaps there was a survival mechanism in man he "instinctively" had to appeal to in order to survive. That is not evil. That is innate. Evil is when survival is no longer an issue,

I agree with you 100%. But the survival instincts are still present. They still influence us at all times. This thread was created in order to discuss this instinctual influence on Man.

Instincts lead to survival, and survival is not evil, therefore instincts are not intrinsically evil.
But unballanced instincts lead to evil.

Again, in no way is this thread trying to justify evil! This thread is trying to identify its source. Instincts are passed on through evolution.

Instincts lead to survival, therefore one without instinct will likely not survive and likely not pass on this lack of instinct.
Instinct is passed on through the survivors.

All I am saying is that this "Instinct" is still present in mankind. Please try and see it, and understand that it is there.
What I am not doing is trying to provide an excuse for people to commit evil. If your "instinct" influences you to do an "Evil" act, then one should overcome this influence and not preform the act.
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 04:12 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin

Now I get it. You mix up two different things :
1. instinct (or as you put it, our animalistic behaviour "heritage")
and
2. apparently spontaneous thought which is acted upon without further conscious consideration.

Do you remember Mr. Slate and his non-arachnologist mother ? Here is what happens, in more detail, when a Big Black Hairy Spider drops on Mr. Slate's head.

By interpreting external stimuli (light and sound waves, tactile sensations), a thought of "I have a Big Black Hairy Spider on my head" forms in the brain of Mr. Slate. Instantly, without further conscious consideration, that is, without second thought, without any rationalizing, Mr. Slate's brain releases stress hormones, effectively triggering the fight or flight (animalistic) instinct which forces him to kill Big Black Hairy Spider or run away from it. It is debatable if there is conscious choice between the two (run or kill), depending on the circumstances, and maybe it's here you might find your "evil". If Mr. Slate kills Big Black Hairy Spider and then appears in a Spider's Court of Justice, he will most definitely be found not guilty by pleading temporary insanity.

But as you see, triggering the fight or flight instinct has no innate cause, Mr. Slate's subconscious has been taught to be afraid of spiders by his non-arachnologist mother as opposed to being born with this apparently instinctive fear. You can still place a blame on Mr. Slate for not trying to overcome this fear, that is, for not trying to objectively examine the world around him and rationally conclude that spiders are not even nearly as dangerous as he has been led to believe they are. Ignorance (and lack of empathic capacity) leads to "evil".
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:57 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
Binyamin

Now I get it. You mix up two different things :
1. instinct (or as you put it, our animalistic behaviour "heritage")
and
2. apparently spontaneous thought which is acted upon without further conscious consideration.

Do you remember Mr. Slate and his non-arachnologist mother ? Here is what happens, in more detail, when a Big Black Hairy Spider drops on Mr. Slate's head.

By interpreting external stimuli (light and sound waves, tactile sensations), a thought of "I have a Big Black Hairy Spider on my head" forms in the brain of Mr. Slate. Instantly, without further conscious consideration, that is, without second thought, without any rationalizing, Mr. Slate's brain releases stress hormones, effectively triggering the fight or flight (animalistic) instinct which forces him to kill Big Black Hairy Spider or run away from it. It is debatable if there is conscious choice between the two (run or kill), depending on the circumstances, and maybe it's here you might find your "evil". If Mr. Slate kills Big Black Hairy Spider and then appears in a Spider's Court of Justice, he will most definitely be found not guilty by pleading temporary insanity.

But as you see, triggering the fight or flight instinct has no innate cause, Mr. Slate's subconscious has been taught to be afraid of spiders by his non-arachnologist mother as opposed to being born with this apparently instinctive fear. You can still place a blame on Mr. Slate for not trying to overcome this fear, that is, for not trying to objectively examine the world around him and rationally conclude that spiders are not even nearly as dangerous as he has been led to believe they are. Ignorance (and lack of empathic capacity) leads to "evil".

Yes, I think we are beginning to be on the same page now.
Fight or Flight is definately one of the many instincts.
I like using the terms "Anger" and "Fear". Both release adrenaline.
Any type of confrontation will trigger these two reactions "instinctually". Think about the last time you got angry? Was it not some type of confrontation?
This is what is taught when giving speaches. Fear ruins speaches, so you are taught to use Anger in a way that emits confidence.

Please look over the other instincts I have posted on the first page.
The 3 categories that promote survival.
Nutrition, Reproduction, and Avoiding Harm

I look forward to continuing this conversation
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:39 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:

Fight or Flight is definately one of the many instincts.
I like using the terms "Anger" and "Fear". Both release adrenaline.

Incorrect. Fight or flight is a self preservation instinct and the level of adrenaline in the body is increased to augment the physical capabilities of the organism (to fight harder or to run faster).

If you walk around in a forest and a bear attacks you, your fight or flight instinct will take over. Do you feel angry at the bear ? "How dare you, bear, attack me !". :poke-eye:

Anger and aggression have nothing to do with adrenaline (a.k.a. epinephrine), it's serotonin that influences these states of mind. I don't think there is such a thing as instinctual anger/hate/dislike. What about the cats and dogs, when raised together they become "friends".

Binyamin Tsadik wrote:

Any type of confrontation will trigger these two reactions "instinctually". Think about the last time you got angry? Was it not some type of confrontation?

We're having a confrontation here right now and I don't feel angry or fearful at all and even if we were discussing face to face I don't think I would run away or try to fight you (though at times planting a hatchet in your forehead sounds entertaining... just kidding Very Happy). Also judging by my pulse I'd say my adrenaline level is normal.

Binyamin Tsadik wrote:

This is what is taught when giving speaches. Fear ruins speaches, so you are taught to use Anger in a way that emits confidence.

Could you rephrase and elaborate ?

edit:

I'm getting kinda tired of defending humans from your animalistic and instinctual controlled by fear and ruled by anger model you're trying to frame them in, so from now on think of Buddhist monks and how your theories relate to them - before typing any replies.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:41 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
I'm getting kinda tired of defending humans from your animalistic and instinctual controlled by fear and ruled by anger model you're trying to frame them in, so from now on think of Buddhist monks and how your theories relate to them - before typing any replies.

That is the whole idea. When one gets on a high enough level instincts hold less of a grip on us. Buddist monks dont go looking at women and trying to get laid all the time Very Happy.
They are in control of themselves and give less control to their animal side.

But the purpose of this discussion IS explaining this animal side.

And anger comes in degrees. It is not binary. Challenges will provoke alpha instincts. The fact that you are not completely angry at the moment is proof that you are in control of your animal and your animal is not in control of you. But the instinct is still present on some level and it still pushes you towards anger. The fact that you are not angry is because you are pushing back. If you gave into it, I'm sure you could become enraged at the moment.
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:53 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
I don't think one would mention anything about a constant inner struggle or his animal side. If there's a Buddhist on this forum, it would be great to get some insights directly.
0 Replies

William

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:12 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:
I agree with you 100%. But the survival instincts are still present. They still influence us at all times. This thread was created in order to discuss this instinctual influence on Man.

Instincts lead to survival, and survival is not evil, therefore instincts are not intrinsically evil.
But unballanced instincts lead to evil.

Again, in no way is this thread trying to justify evil! This thread is trying to identify its source. Instincts are passed on through evolution.

Instincts lead to survival, therefore one without instinct will likely not survive and likely not pass on this lack of instinct.
Instinct is passed on through the survivors.

All I am saying is that this "Instinct" is still present in mankind. Please try and see it, and understand that it is there.
What I am not doing is trying to provide an excuse for people to commit evil. If your "instinct" influences you to do an "Evil" act, then one should overcome this influence and not preform the act.

Bin, you totally ignored the rest of my post. :brickwall:

William
ariciunervos

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:14 am
@William,
William wrote:
Bin, you totally ignored the rest of my post. :brickwall:

William

Get used to it Laughing
He does it a lot.
William

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:49 am
@ariciunervos,
ariciunervos wrote:
Get used to it Laughing
He does it a lot.

I do have tenacity. It is hard for me to give up. Whew!!!! Ha.

Thanks,
william
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 11:56 am
@William,
William wrote:
Bin, please, if you don't mind, refrain from equating man's behavior with that of the beast. Please. We are more than that. Please allow me this courtesy. If it is essential in the minds of some to use these insane analogies, it is so very wrong for it is the way of beast. Have you ever heard that phrase before?

Sorry if you thought I ignored this, its just that you dont have to read this if you dont want to.
Why is it so difficult to see our evil inclination... let me bring you some quotes.

"Depart from Evil; then do good"
(Tehilim [Psalms] 34:15)

For this to be done, one must first know what evil is.

"The Tzadik (Righteous) knows his animal soul"
(Mishlei [Proverbs] 12:10)

What is this animal soul?

"The inclination of Man's heart is evil from his youth"

[RIGHT](B'Re**** [Genesis] 8:21)[/RIGHT]

"Man's soul consists of three faculties: 1) His intellect, which stems from man's holy soul and by which he overcomes his evil inclination 2) his instinct of self-preservation, which prompts him to take care of his bodily functions; 3) his animal instinct, which simulates his physical desires and is rooted in his sensual soul"
(Zohar)

"A Person should always arouse his good inclination against his evil inclination."

[RIGHT](Brachot 5a)[/RIGHT]

How do we conquer it?

"A person with a pure soul rules over the evil inclination and rides on it as a person rides on a horse or a donkey."

[RIGHT](Tikunei Zohar 70)[/RIGHT]

"The Evil Inclination departs from the Humble"
(Zohar Miketz 102a)

"If you desire, you will rule over it [the evil inclination]"

[RIGHT](Kiddushin 30b)[/RIGHT]

There are many more quotes like these ones. I didnt bring them earlier because they are from sources that you do not connect to, which is why I tried to bring it through logic and reason first.
nameless

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 08:39 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
That which spends much time on the altar of mind, tended with 'thought', is that which we worship.
I have known (so called) Xtians that could only think about 'demons' and things 'demonic'. That was obviously the subject of their day to day worship.
How much 'thought' does one devote to 'evil'? How many hours of the day?
That is a rhetorical question, response (and denial) is unnecessary.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:30 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
That which spends much time on the altar of mind, tended with 'thought', is that which we worship.
I have known (so called) Xtians that could only think about 'demons' and things 'demonic'. That was obviously the subject of their day to day worship.
How much 'thought' does one devote to 'evil'? How many hours of the day?
That is a rhetorical question, response (and denial) is unnecessary.

"Know your enemy"
(The art of War)

the only way to overcome evil in the world is to understand it.

A doctor must first understand the disease before he can find the cure.
nameless

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 12:10 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik;26366 wrote:
"Know your enemy"
(The art of War)

"The 'Enlightened' have no enemies!" - Buddha

Quote:
the only way to overcome evil in the world is to understand it.

True! The only way to overcome evil 'in the world', is by understanding that it exists solely in 'the world of dualities' in the mind! An 'internal' enlightenment; all Perspectival dualities fade and cohere.

Quote:
A doctor must first understand the disease before he can find the cure.

I don't think that doctors consider 'disease' to be 'evil'.
That is the realm of religion.
And, with all the medical understanding, disease is still extant and will never be all 'cured' (fortunately for doctors).
There is a 'give and take', 'back and forth' dance/equilibrium to existence.
Like the 'war on evil' is such a ridiculous farce. One cannot eliminate 'evil' without eliminating, simultaneously, 'good'.
Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:10 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:

True! The only way to overcome evil 'in the world', is by understanding that it exists solely in 'the world of dualities' in the mind! An 'internal' enlightenment; all Perspectival dualities fade and cohere.

I don't think that doctors consider 'disease' to be 'evil'.
That is the realm of religion.
And, with all the medical understanding, disease is still extant and will never be all 'cured' (fortunately for doctors).
There is a 'give and take', 'back and forth' dance/equilibrium to existence.
Like the 'war on evil' is such a ridiculous farce. One cannot eliminate 'evil' without eliminating, simultaneously, 'good'.

You take metaphors a little too literally.
(If evil was a disease, how would a doctor cure it?)

In reguards to "The enlightened have no enemies" I agree, but you cannot be enlightened without deep knowledge.

"The Tzadik (Righteous) knows his animal soul"

If you allowed me to get that far I would demonstrate how Evil can be used for Good.

"Turn from evil and make it into good, seek Shalom and pursue it"
[RIGHT][RIGHT](Tehilim [Psalms] 34:15)[/RIGHT][/RIGHT]

"When it is used for good, evil also becomes good"
[RIGHT](Israel Ben Eliezer - Tsava'at HaRivash pg 233)
[/RIGHT]
And if you read anything from the previous posts, you would understand what it is we are talking about exactly.

The purpose of this thread is defining instinct and how it leads to evil. That in essence defines evil.
William

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 03:46 pm
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik wrote:

If you allowed me to get that far I would demonstrate how Evil can be used for Good.

If you would please, offer an example of what you are saying. Evil as far as I will define it is to have a malicious intent to do harm. Perhaps you have another definition.

William
Angel phil

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:17 pm
@William,
William wrote:
If you would please, offer an example of what you are saying. Evil as far as I will define it is to have a malicious intent to do harm. Perhaps you have another definition.

William

I really have no definition of my own but I think everyone would agree with evil being what causes harm as long as it's not limited to just physical harm but also emotional, financial, or any other situation or thing where harm can occur due to the wrongdoing of someone. The only thing I'm wondering is are their acts of evil where there's really no harm done? If so, then evil being limited to just harm is not a comprehensive enough definition. Other factors obviously would need to be added to it.
nameless

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:07 am
@Binyamin Tsadik,
Binyamin Tsadik;26385 wrote:
In reguards to "The enlightened have no enemies" I agree, but you cannot be enlightened without deep knowledge.

And, you 'know' this how?? I don't get the feeling that you are speaking from personal experience...
I say nonsense! Enlightenment has nothing to do with 'knowledge'.

Quote:
“The Tzadik (Righteous) knows his animal soul”

No. I will not accept on authority any quotes from any book. Make your thoughtful case for whatever, and I will thoughtfully respond. Unless we are discussing a particular book, then of course, quotes would be reasonable, but whatever wisdom book is on your shelf, you'll have to paraphrase if necessary and be ready to explain. No bible quotes, no mishna quotes, no Martin Buber quotes, no scriptural authority is accepted. So, please feel free to refrain...

Quote:

Which illustrates my point that 'good' and 'evil' are relics of individual Perspectives. There is no 'good' or 'evil' in this Perspective, so there is no 'one' to be 'used' for the 'other' to transform the one into the other to........
It is a mind game, an ego game.. "I am 'good', mommy, look how I battle that bad 'evil'! I'm 'good', right?" I wonder if there is anyone who considers herself 'evil', and can demonstrate how 'Good' can be used for 'Evil'? After all;
"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" -Book of Fudd (1:2)

Quote:
The purpose of this thread is defining instinct and how it leads to evil. That in essence defines evil.

Sounds like a 'pseudo religio-scientific' tent meeting. The 'natural world' is 'evil'! Satan's gonna getcha! How JudeoXtian.. How obsolete!
Enjoy..
nameless out
nameless

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:11 am
@Angel phil,
Angel;26405 wrote:
...but I think everyone would agree with evil being...

Then you think incorrectly.
0 Replies

Binyamin Tsadik

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:40 am
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
No. I will not accept on authority any quotes from any book. Make your thoughtful case for whatever, and I will thoughtfully respond. Unless we are discussing a particular book, then of course, quotes would be reasonable, but whatever wisdom book is on your shelf, you'll have to paraphrase if necessary and be ready to explain. No bible quotes, no mishna quotes, no Martin Buber quotes, no scriptural authority is accepted. So, please feel free to refrain...

A little hypocritical don't you think

nameless wrote:

nameless wrote:

"For every Perspective, there is an equal and opposite Perspective!" -Book of Fudd (1:2)