For all those who lived in Canada... or visited

farmerman

Reply Fri 19 Nov, 2004 09:17 pm
Weve spent a lot of time on the coastal waters of the Maritimes and I like the true spirit of neighbor that the fishermen show. They will take valuable time to get you steering right and , once , when we had a major prop failure we got a lot of help from fishermen who sidled up and helped us do some temporary fix and then one guy got us all the way into a dock near Louisburg NS where we had some new prop and shaft packing repair.
I also worked in the Low Arctic on Baffin , Somerset, Banks islands and all over Quebec and LAbrador area and UNgava. Ill take dem Norders any day,Those people practice an economy of life that comes from suckin it in and remembering that any weather below -20 will kill you quick.
There is some of the most beautiful and desolate land in the low Arctic, its breathtaking, but, having said that, Id never plan a vacation there.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 04:32 am
megassel wrote:
I miss the snack foods I loved as a child - Caramellos, Flakies, Clark bars. They bring me back. I order them now from an ex-pat in Florida who imports and distributes them. Just to have them around for the memories.

And I miss the sensibilities. So many Americans really are arrogant about the US - assuming that the US is the best without knowing anything else. Canadians aren't that way, in my experience.

But, I haven't lived there since I was a child, so things might be different now. I sure hope not. We may have to move back to get away from here!

I lived here when I was little, then moved to the states and came back 4 1/2 years ago and not much has changed from what I can see, except that there is more people, more work and people are not nearly as poor as they were when I was little. As a child, most of the people in my area were very poor, but you'd never hear them complain and they sure as hell knew how to survive and stretch a buck. Surprisingly, as poor as people were back then, everyone seemed very happy and content. That has always made me aware that money doesn't buy happiness. To this day people here go out of their way to help eachother and it truly is a warm and cozy feeling :-D

What part of Canada are you from?
0 Replies

Etruscia

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 02:49 pm
Hopefully we are getting proportional representation in Ontario soon, apparently there is going to be a referendum on it.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:21 pm
...the accent, eh?
...the self-deprecating sense of humor.
...trying out what little French I know in Quebec.
...loonies and toonies.
...the favorable exchange rate.
...smoked meat sandwiches.
0 Replies

megassel

Reply Tue 23 Nov, 2004 09:02 pm
Montana wrote:
Quote:

I did a quick reply a few days ago, but it's MIA. I'm from Halifax. To make the previous long story short, my parents are from Antigonish, NS and Grand Falls, NFLD. We moved to Michigan when I was 7. We moved to the States to get away from a few nasty relatives and the commute and lack of parking in Halifax. Pretty drastic move.

Except for one uncle's family, all 23 of my aunts and uncles (big families!) and their children (and their children!) live from Ontario to St. Johns. We're just about the sole American branch of the family tree. I miss Canada, but my husband is a hothouse plant and would not consent to move back. I'd love to move back someday (and have started daydreaming about it since the results came in from our election - how horrifying!)

Et tu?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 11:30 am
megassel wrote:
Montana wrote:
Quote:

I did a quick reply a few days ago, but it's MIA. I'm from Halifax. To make the previous long story short, my parents are from Antigonish, NS and Grand Falls, NFLD. We moved to Michigan when I was 7. We moved to the States to get away from a few nasty relatives and the commute and lack of parking in Halifax. Pretty drastic move.

Except for one uncle's family, all 23 of my aunts and uncles (big families!) and their children (and their children!) live from Ontario to St. Johns. We're just about the sole American branch of the family tree. I miss Canada, but my husband is a hothouse plant and would not consent to move back. I'd love to move back someday (and have started daydreaming about it since the results came in from our election - how horrifying!)

Et tu?

I feel your pain Meg. Maybe your hubby will change his mind some day. I've never been to Nova Scotia, but I know it's beautiful and is on my to do list for the near future :-D
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:07 pm
Farewell To Nova Scotia
The sun was setting in the west
The birds were singing on every tree
All nature seemed inclined for to rest
But still there was no rest for me.

Chorus
Farewell to Nova Scotia, you sea-bound coast
Let your mountains dark and dreary be
For when I am far away on the briny ocean tossed
Will you ever heave a sigh and a wish for me?

I grieve to leave my native land
I grieve to leave my comrades all
And my parents whom I held so dear
And the bonnie, bonnie lassie that I do adore.

The drums they do beat and the wars to alarm
The captain calls, we must obey
So farewell, farewell to Nova Scotia's charms
For it's early in the morning I am far, far away.

I have three brothers and they are at rest
Their arms are folded on their breast
But a poor simple sailor just like me
Must be tossed and driven on the dark blue sea.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:24 pm
I love Halifax. We took a cruise up that way some years ago.
Strolled around the waterfront, toured the fort and watched
the changing of the guard. Passed the time of day with a
redheaded rickshaw puller named Sean. Ate a wonderful
lobster meal. Never did buy that Mooseheads sweater, tho.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 12:44 pm
I have relatives in Nova Scotia, both around Digby in the Annapolis valley and up in Chignecto (mostly on the New Brunswick side). I particularly like the isthmus area and had many good times there as a kid. Nova Scotia is a great place.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 24 Nov, 2004 01:04 pm
Etruscia wrote:
Living in Canada is amazing. People are much less arrogant and ignorant then in the U.S. as is my experience.

>sigh<
One of the trillions of reasons I want out of america. People in this country dont even make eye contact with other people. they go out of thier way to LOOK AWAY instead of just smiling/acknowldeging someone and moving on. Mad
0 Replies