The Problem of Consciousness

salima

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 07:55 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;88671 wrote:
care to let me in on the secret here? My curiosity is overpowering the enjoyment I am getting out of the fact that my not being able to read it supports my argument.

"i like indian food very much"

---------- Post added 09-07-2009 at 07:26 PM ----------

i hope that doesnt spoil anything that i gave it away-
i hesitated at first to translate just in case kj had a plan...

---------- Post added 09-07-2009 at 08:05 PM ----------

ok, i am trying to paraphrase this issue to be sure i understand it because i dont think i am quite getting it yet.
jeep, when you say KJ is actually referring to 'transformation' instead of 'translation' going on in the brain, i assume you mean it is unlikely that can be happening, right? because if it were happening, it would be possible to reproduce a known set of neural firing and proteins (or whatever all the processes are comprised of) and input that into the human brain and have the person understand the sentence you were conveying. the computer is translating one language to another while you understand what kj is saying to be more like changing the quacking of a duck into english. i mean it would be possible to say when the duck quacks a certain way he is calling its mate, and another way he is warning of danger. but it would never be a language, the person observing would have to apply meaning according to his observations.

and can anyone tell me why there is a tab appearing on the side of my screen that is marked tweets? i really dont want to open it...
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 02:49 pm
@BrightNoon,
well I have been saying all along, in this thread and the other one, that understanding neural states, or understanding the physical mechanism of the brain, is not the same as understanding the nature of consciousness. It is only one perspective, one that might be important for medical or scientific reasons, but is based on the assumption that consciousness is 'only' the activity of the brain. I will always challenge that view.

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 07:08 AM ----------

An Advaita Vedanta perspective on consciousness is provided Sri Ramana Maharishi, and Sri Nisigardatta Maharaj, two highly respected Vedanta masters of the last century. Their books are widely available (Teachings of Ramana Maharishi and I Am That) and there are many websites nowadays that discuss them. Again this is not the only view of the matter but it is a viewpoint that ought to be considered. I might start a separate thread on these.
KaseiJin

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 06:27 pm
@jeeprs,
Thanks salima chan ! The only plan, was the test, and it is a test, and it does have results--which, actually, I had been posting last night when suddenly I started getting 'fatal error... pages when I tried to bring up pages for quoting...and I went ahead and sent what I had had, but it obviously didn't go. Thank you translating it for us.

Here, then, is the flow at the moment. I cannot help but feel that a closer reading is necessary, for it seems there is some rush out there which is actually not here--one point at a time-- some attempt to make applications before this point is conceptualized. I will attempt to help out here.

[indent]
Kielicious;87770 wrote:
So for example if we take an fMRI machine and hook it up to your brain and see all the different neurons firing via blood flow (hemodynamics) third parties can establish what you are thinking.

jeeprs;87785 wrote:
Would you have a reference for that?

[indent]
Kielicious;87792 wrote:
It seems . . . you are questioning whether or not our mapping of the brain has epistemic justification? (i.e. that when your occipital lobe fires doesnt mean you are having a visual experience) Because if that is the case I can show mounds of examples . . .

KaseiJin;87951 wrote:
While it may not be as straight forward as the wording would often lead one to create an image of;. . . it is being done a little bit, to a less nuanced degree, now. . . I just want to make it clear enough, that we can record neuron activity in action as animals are acting and thinking, even in free motion (in mice). We can see, generally map, and know representation to self-volition of mirror neurons in monkeys--and to a lesser extent in humans even.
[/indent]

jeeprs;87989 wrote:
I am writing on a computer. You could also probably zoom in on the hard drive and find the actual bytes which represent this particular text, on the drive of a server. But then, if they are not interpreted by the operating system, displayed on a screen, and read by another human, how can they actually [be] said to mean anything?(I went ahead and edited it, this time)

[indent]
KaseiJin;88180 wrote:
Here, again, we find the matter of translation. What we can say has essentially occured, is a translation of information into another format, which can be translated back out of that format by an understander of it, into the original format once again. Of course, we know that the hard drive system . . .
[/indent]

jeeprs;88363 wrote:
Ah, but can we? I think this misses the point. The bytes might exist on the hard drive - it is after all just binary code - but the point I was making is that these bytes don’t mean anything at all until they are interpreted. . . The bytes on the hard drive do not convey meaning until they are interpreted, . . . And without the operating system and the subject reading it, nothing meaningful can be said to exist on the hard drive. . . So the analogy of ‘translation’ is not appropriate. (bold and underscore mine)

[indent]
KaseiJin;88401 wrote:
Here, I fully disagree. The essential event is one of translation, and there is not the circumstance that the 'translated-into-format' has no meaning.
[/indent][/indent]

And this is what the test results have shown. Information, in the form of a linguistical format (English in this case), has been translated into a different linguistical format (one of a non-English character, viz. Hindi). This process is what is called translation, and there is (or should not be) any denial of that fact of understanding. In that the non-first linguistical format does not equal that of the first and original format, is of no concern at all, because it is the meaning that is being translated, not the format.

In otherwords, using the test to explain, it is a fact that I had translated an English sentence into a Hindi sentence. It is also a fact that that Hindi sentence had meaning. Because one may not able to translate the Hindi sentence back into English, or into any other linguistical format, it does not follow at all, that that sentence does not have any meaning--but rather that that meaning is simply not understood.

Therefore, it is true that the string of event spaces on the hard drive which an English sentence has been translated into, is, by the very nature of the event (translation from one language into another), an event of translation. The fact of this understanding is what is correct.

Now, how that will apply towards the studies presented earlier, and the understanding of how the brain works, I will present. However, I very strongly urge that if anyone tends to doubt the understandings which are held to regarding the content of these posts (#50 Williams-Beuren Syndrome; #274 motor system--basal ganglia; #299 motor system--cerebellum; #305 PD; #357 HD) that they go there to that thread, and demonstrate how that knowledge is in error. I say this because those who may not be as closely following the field, may not fully grasp what is known, and just how it is known, and having a kind of foundation under the belt first, may very well prove to be a good thing to help understanding on the more complicated matters; additionally, there are books and papers in a number of fields and subject areas which present misinformation or make misleading statements regarding things that are fairly known and understood in the neurosciences (such as a comment made by Alva Noe in that clip about memory build).

The point of this post is to fully demonstrate, that it is correct to understand going from one format into another is an act of translating, and that a translation, regardless of ones not knowing the language, carries the meaning of the information string that it had been translated from. I am not applying this towards brain function or consciousness yet.
Arjuna

Reply Mon 7 Sep, 2009 06:51 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;88889 wrote:

Therefore, it is true that the string of event spaces on the hard drive which an English sentence has been translated into, is, by the very nature of the event (translation from one language into another), an event of translation.

Is there a difference between translation and encoding?

When Yo Yo Ma reads the notes off the page and then plays... he is definitely translating. But are the notes a translation?

I just read an article about glial cells in the brain squirting out calcium to influence the brain's function. It was mostly over my head, though.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 12:51 am
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;88889 wrote:
Information, in the form of a linguistical format (English in this case), has been translated into a different linguistical format (one of a non-English character, viz. Hindi). This process is what is called translation, and there is (or should not be) any denial of that fact of understanding. In that the non-first linguistical format does not equal that of the first and original format, is of no concern at all, because it is the meaning that is being translated, not the format.

This is not a satisfactory argument.

I am questioning the meaning of the terms 'representation' and 'translation' in connection with the interpretation of neural images and their relationship to stimuli.

The question as to whether the meaning of such images can be understood as 'internal' to the images themselves or can only be provided by way of interpretation is a perfectly valid question which has not been answered.

My argument is that the meaning attributed to these patterns is derived, or imputed, as a result of expert interpretation. Whatever meaning they might or might not have is not simply a given.

And on a more general note, I am saying that the meaning of any type of message is dependent upon it being interpreted. Meaning cannot be said to exist without a subject for whom it is intelligible.

If it can be demonstrated that this understanding is incorrect, I will concede and change my view.

However the response has not been an argument, but simply a repeated assertion that 'translation works like this, and it must be accepted.'

My reading of it is that the basis of the question and not been understood, so no response has been forthcoming.

Continually re-iterating that 'this is a simple matter of translation' does not constitute an answer, in my view. Nor does any amount of information on neuroscientific theory. It is not a neuroscientific issue, it is a question about the nature of meaning and representation.

So unless this matter can be dealt with, either by showing that my argument is incorrect, or conceding the point, I don't see any purpose in proceeding past this point.
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 08:21 am
@BrightNoon,
Well, things will run their course, of course . . . some matters once not more carefully kept in the mind's eye, may catch the attention of that, someday down the road. I had thought that I had made it clear enough, that I was not talking about, nor arguing, a point about the brain since your assertion that I had been mistaken when I had pointed out that the analogy was a matter of translation. After that, I have only been trying to show how that understanding--the understanding that the analogy had been a matter of translation, and in that sense had had meaning (only that, no application yet at all), was correct.

Therefore I wasn't talking about anything neural yet, since that post #100 (and I wasn't talking about the nature of consciousness just before that either, I was talking firstly about the analogy, and how it fit in the picture of neuroimaging tests, but after your objection, only about the analogy).

One area where there is some kind of 'ships passing in the dark', can be found in the following:

[indent]
jeeprs;88948 wrote:
And on a more general note, I am saying that the meaning of any type of message is dependent upon it being interpreted. Meaning cannot be said to exist without a subject for whom it is intelligible.

Because, I stated that this was true, yet, I added (in so many words): 'let us not forget that the person who put the message together is a subject for whom the message is intelligible, and is one who can translate it at any time, which leads us to understand that the message has meaning from the very start' (if only for that person, even [to take it to an extreme]). (I was not talking further about neuroimaging studies)

In the event that you may feel any value in answering (and I am not putting pressure here, this is an honest question), jeeprs, I would like to ask if you tend to agree that your quoted section in that above post, taken just, and only, as it is, in the context of languages, is true?

As far as I have come across the terms, Arjuna, according to the definition of 'encode,' in cohorts with often occuring contextual/setting usage, 'to encode' is often no diffferent from 'to translate into,' it seems. Glia cells are interesting little entities, and help the neurons out a lot.
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 01:20 pm
@ACB,
ACB;87250 wrote:
If the external world does not really exist, doesn't that make my experiences solipsistic? Nobody else has any real existence outside my consciousness. I exist directly, but everyone else exists only in a kind of derivative sense. Isn't that the implication?

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove, or express rationally. If we founded our philosophical system on the experience of the individual, and to do otherwise is to found the system on ideas existing in society which were ultimately created through the experience of an individual anyway*, then yes indeed the system must be solipsistic. That doesn't mean that we can't assume (emphasis on assume) that there is an external reality existing independently of individual experience; it would be silly not to. The important thing is that, in recognizing this as an assumption, we also recognize that we cannot know anything about the nature of this external reality as it is, by definition, beyond our experience. So again, I assume that others are conscious, but I can't base the philosophical system on anything but individual experience (even if I tried, and it's less convoluted if I don't try).

*In other words, anything I might think of, any notion, concept, idea, etc,. which I would use as a premise for my philosphical system is an idea in my mind: i.e. not something which exists independently of it, or is objectively 'true'. If I so use, e.g. scientific ideas which are nothing but statistical generalizations of many perspectives, I'm really still using ideas from within my own consciousness; I can't get outside of it. Solipsism is not a choice, its the only possibility. If I were to use a scientific idea (something about brain chemistry e.g.) to explain the phenomenological world, I'd be making a logical inversion; i.e. that idea in fact arises from the phenomenological world, and thus cannot be used to explain its origin.

Quote:
If there is not an objective external reality, how can there be perspectives? A perspective must by definition be of something. On the other hand, if there is an objective external reality, there is a logical contradiction if you maintain that a human's and a chimp's perspectives are different yet both 'accurate', since the same external world would then have to have two conflicting descriptions at the same time. Logically, there can be only one or no completely correct descriptions of external reality (if it exists), not more.

No you miss my point. I am saying that a human perspective and a chimp perspective are not different in terms of accuracy; they are neither of them accurate; there is no such thing as accuracy in this sense. Reality is what is experienced. Anyone who suggests that there is an objective reality existsing independently of our experience of it, and that this objective reality consists of molecules, atoms, elements, etc (i.e. the scientific world), is misunderstanding what objective means. That scienfitifc world exists only within our world of experience; it is a series of ideas experienced bus us. It is not objective, it is as subjective as a world view based on dogmatic christianity, or animism. It is not logical to compare this 'objective reality' to the world from the perspective of a chimp and thus conclude that the chimp's vision of reality is incorrect. Likewise, it is illogicaly to compare the 'objective reality' to the world from the perspective of any individual human and conclude that his vision is incorrect. There are infinite perspectives, none of them correct or incorrect in comparision to an objective reality, because there is none.

If there is an external reality, and we all surely assume there is (we cannot know), then it is not possible to know anything about it. Thus, there cannot be a correct vision of it; we have nothing to compare any vision of it to; and of course a vision of it is just that: a vision: a view from a perspective. I hold that there is an external reality, but not an objective one. In other words, the concept 'objective' is really a product of a certain perspective (ours) and simply does not aply outside of it. It's like calling the color red happy; non sequitur. Nonsense. The external world is a sort of a chaos, a lack of order entirely, and it becomes ordered, in all sorts of different ways, only when viewed from a perspective. Order is a product of perspective; there is no 'thing' or 'structure' which exists independently of the perspective through which it's seen. This is difficult to imagine, and that's the point.

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 03:51 PM ----------

Pathfinder;87286 wrote:
Both creatures using the same organ and biological mechanisms are seeing what is being transmitted on their little tv screens in the back of an organ in the head. I will leave it up to you brainiacs to come up with the proper name for that. Neither are actually seeing the actual tree, nor can they. What they are seeing is the light reflected off of the tree and translated by their brain into an image of what may or may not be in front of them. There is nothing that either of them can do to alter the reality of that tree being there, or what it actually is. Should some mishap cause the brain to interpret the image differently, THAT will be what they will think they see, but the tree will remain exactly what it really is, despite their biological interpretation of it.

So the tree exists whether or not it is seen; the 'tree' that we see is in fact not the real tree, but the reflection of light off the real tree. Is that true for all senses? Sure. So then, if the real tree does not consist of its appearance, its feel, its taste, its smell, its sound, what is it? Can you define the real tree without reference to any of its sensable atributes (color e.g.), or to ideas derived from sensable attributes (e.g. shape, function, etc.)? No? That's because that (the sum of various sensations and ideas derived from sensation) is all the tree is! If there is a real tree outside of that experience, we don't know anything about it. Furthermore, why do we say that x is a tree which is distinct from the air and the ground and the birds around it? Why do we delimit that part of the world? On what basis? Sensation! It's looks distinct, it has a distint feel, etc. A 'rea' tree existsing outside of our experience of it would be have any such distinctions; it would not be a 'thing' distinct from other 'things.' Outside of our experience, or experience from another perpective (chimp, e.g.), there are no things, there is no order.

Quote:
A tree is a tree is a tree is a tree! Whether the being looking at it is a man, monkey, mouse or insect. The world is the world with the same determination. We can interact with it by plucking its leaves and fluttering through its atmosphere and sailing across its seas. But what it is, it is!

And so, what is a tree? And don't make any reference to its appearance, texture, etc.

Quote:
So the two creatures are biologically observing what is there in front of them. The reality of what is there before them has nothing whatsoever to do with consciousness. The fact that their brain is able to translate light reflection into an image is not consciousness, it is merely a biological ability/ function. The dynamics within that biological process and the details of how it takes place is not consciousness.

Would yopu agree that sensation is the basic foundation for all experience (thoughts, dreams, present events, directly sensed, etc.)?

Quote:
Consciousness reveals itself in the fact that, over and above the picture being devised by the brain on the little viewing screen, a being is able to FURTHER interpret that image, and calculate what it might be, and intelligently speculate and theorize about its environment and possible interaction with them and their shared surrounding. It is in that FURTHER ability that consciousness is revealed. So in that definition we see that there is therefore a propensity for varying degrees of consciousness from creature to creature.

I would agree that this 'further ability' is a vital part of human consciousness, but not all of it. The ability to interpret, evaluate, etc. (i.e. thought) is constructed of sensation. It is not the source, it is a product. Sensation comes first.

Quote:
Even though the biological brain functions between the man and the chimp are pretty much exactly the same, we cannot say that the consciousness is the same. Both are conscious of it, but certainly not to the same degree. Both are using the brain to see an image inside their heads that shows them a constructed build of reflected light. We call the image we see a tree. Who knows what the chimp calls it in his mind, (Pretty brown and green lights that stand up straight?).

I totally agree. The chimp is less complex, his sensations are not rearranged with the complxity of ours; ergo, his thoughts, such as they are, are not as complex. It is, as you said, a difference of degree only. there is not something special in our consciousness which the chimp doesn't have, we just have more of the same thing he does.

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 04:02 PM ----------

Aedes;87289 wrote:
If you believe that such a thing is legitimate, then you must also believe in an infinite number of permutations of consciousness. For instance, there is my individual consciousness, there is the individual consciousness of Pee-Wee Herman, and there is the sum of the experience of me and Pee-Wee Herman. Or there is the summed collective experience of Silvio Berlusconi and the fruit fly in my kitchen.

But I personally have to hold to the belief that consciousness requires a single central-processing agent. And without invoking God or some analagous concept, it's hard for me to accept that all individual consciousnesses can be "summed".

That's a very interesting problem which I've so far hesitated to mention. As you should know by now, my view is that everything has a perspective and a sort of consciousness, albeit most of a type completely unrecognizable to we higher beings (Bully for us :shifty:). However, I also hold that 'thing' are utterly arbitrary constructions which exist only for whatever perspective is seeing them. Therefore, if I can take a step outside my own consciousness for a second to comment on 'objective reality' (which I can;t of course, so consider this 'a view from within of without'), the world must consists of infinitely many entities (which I call systems) defined in any infinite number of infintely overlapping and contradictory ways, each of which has a perspective. For example; I have a perspective, my cerebral cortex has one, so does my left index finger, so does me and my dog considered as a whole, or the nation of china and the potato chips I'm eating considered as a whole (space and time are also constructions existing only for perspective), etc. But, to reiterate what I said re 'universal consciousness,' bigger is not better. A larger or more inclusive system is not neccarsily more complex and more conscious. I say this again because I want to seperate myself as far as possible from any of the 'new-age' notions about non-anthropomorphic 'God' as a sort of universal all-knowing consciousness. In the immortal words of Jim Morrison, 'I think it's a bunch'a bullshit..myself.'
jeeprs

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:30 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;88990 wrote:
I would like to ask if you tend to agree that your quoted section in that above post, taken just, and only, as it is, in the context of languages, is true?

Well, of course I think it is true, which is why I made the point. But it is also true in the broader sense, that the world and everything in it exists 'for us', which I am sure is the real meaning of idealism, constructivism and phenomenonology.

There are different levels of understanding subjects - especially this subject. The subject of the nature of consciousness amounts to the nature of our very identity, our being, who or what we are. That is why on one level, while it is understandable to analyse the subject in terms of the functionality of the brain and the 'mechanisms' of consciousness, on another level, the effort must always be futile because as 'we are that which we wish to perceive'. And as the 'eye cannot see itself, the hand cannot grasp itself,'(1) we find right at the very centre of our own being, nearer than anything we know, something which is in itself unknowable. Physicalism attempts to resolve this by denying the reality of the self and turning the self into an object, which is the ultimate absurdity. That is why, for many, life itself appears absurd. That may sound a little trite in the context, but the implications are actually considerable.

Thanks for very insightful and stimulating debate. I shall be concentrating on less 'physicalist' topics henceforth.:bigsmile:

(1) brihadaranyaka upanisad
TickTockMan

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 03:52 pm
@jeeprs,
I can't see where anyone has mentioned the theory of bicameralism as it relates to the development of consciousness. Or is that no longer de rigueur?
richrf

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 04:54 pm
@TickTockMan,
Now this is interesting in the Wall Street Journal today. Trillions of little microbes acting with human personality - and no brain.

Now, trillions of little microbes multiplied by billions of humans, and then trillions upon trillions more roaming the planet in all other forms - well soon you are talking some pretty big numbers of little human personalities. Consciousness doing its thing in little wave patterns.

Deep Inside Bacteria, a Germ of Human Personality

"But scientists are learning that microbes interact with humans in complex and often-useful ways. For starters, humans have one trillion cells of their own, but 10 trillion cells of bacteria. "At best," says Dr. Bassler, "you're only 10% human."

"While some bacteria cause disease, other "good" bacteria keep people alive. They digest plant products in the gut, educate the immune system, and help to produce vitamins B-12 and K. Some 1,000 species live on human skin alone."

"Equally remarkable is how bacteria band together and behave like sophisticated, multicellular animals. They sometimes organize into deeply structured "slime cities," or biofilms. The whitish layer that forms on the teeth every morning is actually a tightknit community of 600 bacterial species. Brush it away, and a new layer will form in exactly the same way by the next morning."

In the early 1990s, Dr. Bassler discovered that bacteria use a second chemical language to talk to other species, a sort-of microbial Esperanto. "The molecule simply says 'I'm the other,'" says Dr. Bassler. "But there must be molecules that tell the bacteria who the other is. We haven't found those yet."
Arjuna

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:26 pm
@richrf,
richrf;89091 wrote:

"Equally remarkable is how bacteria band together and behave like sophisticated, multicellular animals. They sometimes organize into deeply structured "slime cities," or biofilms.

This goes well with the notion that complex organisms started out as colonies of organisms that found a survival tactic in cooperation.

Some cells were rigid, some were soft and full of chemicals, and some were really mean.

The rigid ones became connective tissue, the soft ones became food storage, and the mean ones became the immune system.

I don't remember who first tossed out that idea, but I remember it seemed revolutionary at the time, because evolution had always seemed so "dog eat dog" before. It was pretty obvious also that this perspective arose simultaneously with 20th century fatigue with all the dogs eating other dogs. It fascinates me how scientific theories sometimes mirror or express the times... just like art.

10% human, huh?
---
and the bicameral thing: I remember the book, but I don't remember making heads or tails of it. Could you review it?
TickTockMan

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:33 pm
@richrf,
richrf;89091 wrote:
"But scientists are learning that microbes interact with humans in complex and often-useful ways. For starters, humans have one trillion cells of their own, but 10 trillion cells of bacteria. "At best," says Dr. Bassler, "you're only 10% human."

So does that mean my consciousness is 90% bacteria-based? Yuck. Is there some way I can disinfect my Id?
Some sort of ointment, or something?
0 Replies

paulhanke

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:42 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;89054 wrote:
The external world is a sort of a chaos, a lack of order entirely, and it becomes ordered, in all sorts of different ways, only when viewed from a perspective. Order is a product of perspective; there is no 'thing' or 'structure' which exists independently of the perspective through which it's seen. This is difficult to imagine, and that's the point.

... but if that's the case, aren't we back to pure solipsism? ... that is, if there is no objective order in the external world, then the product of my perspective is as arbitrary as the product of your perspective, and we should never agree on anything (let alone be able to communicate) ... it's only when there is some objective order in the external world that intersubjectivity can occur ... and so it seems to me that if it is worth assuming that there is an external world, it is also worth assuming that the external world can contain objective order (even if we can never perceive it directly), and that we can impose objective order upon it, if just to communicate (even if we can never perceive that directly, either) ...
0 Replies

TickTockMan

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 05:45 pm
@Arjuna,
Arjuna;89094 wrote:

and the bicameral thing: I remember the book, but I don't remember making heads or tails of it. Could you review it?

Here I must default to Wikipedia. I skimmed the book many years ago in a college mythology class where it was referenced frequently by the instructor.

The subject is interesting, but Jaynes' writing style did not lend itself to my wakefulness. I still have it on my bookshelves somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicameralism_(psychology)
0 Replies

BrightNoon

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:08 pm
@richrf,
First, let me address a methodological issue.

Kielicious, and other materialists in the thread:

If you require scientific/empiric evidence of any claim made, it is impossible for anyone who does not share your materialist conception of consicousness to debate with you. To require that sort of evidence assumes already that consciousness is purely a biological problem. It's like asking someone to provide evidence that x does not equal 2 in 2x=4, only using the basic rules of algebra. The debate is about whether those rules are appropriate, i.e. about whether consciousness is in fact a biological problem, or some other sort of problem, and then of course what the solution is.

richrf wrote:
In my own thought experiment, using ideas that I collected from many places including my own observations and experiences, I imagined consciousness, which is most ethereal, turning in on itself (as a baby might look in a womb), and slowing spiraling into itself more and more. As it spirals in, it becomes more dense, more compress, more energetic, and ultimately more physical.

richrf wrote:

You can start with some very long string and start it spiraling into itself. Denser and denser and denser. Soon, you hav something very hard, like a baseball, even though it started off very light and flexible. So, spiraling motion is the key. Very similar to the Taiji symbol which I often use to demonstrate spiraling as the fundamental motion of nature.

Of course, you can go in both directions. Mass == > Energy. Bohm's quantum force field might be very analogous to consciousness, since at this time it is just an idea and cannot be measured.

If consciousness is the sum of all experience (i.e. purely phenomenological), how can it become condensed and thereby more solid? In what sense of the word can non-physical things become condensed? Furthermore, putting aside the specific process you credit with the feat, how can a non-physical thing (certain experiences) become a physical thing? Where, so to speak, is all this happening? In the external world? In that case, from whence comes the consciousness in the first place? Is it an objective, 'real' object? I'm confused.

On the other hand, I would agree with your description, more or less, if you mean that the more primitive sort of consciousness (visceral sensations, basic thoughts) congeals, or condenses, or become arranged, such that it forms complexes (i.e. more complex thoughts, e.g. 'physical thing').

Thanks

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 08:18 PM ----------

paulhanke wrote:
... but if that's the case, aren't we back to pure solipsism? ... that is, if there is no objective order in the external world, then the product of my perspective is as arbitrary as the product of your perspective, and we should never agree on anything (let alone be able to communicate) ... it's only when there is some objective order in the external world that intersubjectivity can occur ... and so it seems to me that if it is worth assuming that there is an external world, it is also worth assuming that the external world can contain objective order (even if we can never perceive it directly), and that we can impose objective order upon it, if just to communicate (even if we can never perceive that directly, either) ...

From the perspective of every entity there is a unique world, because each entity is structurally unique and his world is a reflection of that structure, in relation to its envrionment. So, this does present problems for communication. However, some entities are more similiar in structureto one another than to others: e.g. you and I relative you and a foot-stool. Our worlds are more similiar than is your world and the world of the foot-stool.

In other words, the fact that we can communicate (imperfectly mind you) does not prove that there is an objective reality that we are both talking about, but rather than the individual, phenomenological worlds we each are talking about are similiar enough that we can talk about most parts of our respective worlds and be understood to some extent by each other. While, on the other hand, the foot-stool seems smugly deaf to our comments...:whistling:Very Happy

---------- Post added 09-08-2009 at 08:47 PM ----------

Arjuna;87796 wrote:
"Dream delivers us to dream, and there is no end to illusion. Life is a train of moods like a string of beads, and, as we pass through them, they prove to be many-colored lenses which paint the world their own hue, and each shows only what lies in its focus." --Emerson

I imagine that I was once a fetus. I was born. According to my mother I could speak in complete sentences as 12 months of age. Was I conscious through all of that? I don't think so. I don't think there was any 'me' to be conscious. I can't account for when or how it started, though. Apparently I wasn't conscious of becoming conscious.

Firstly, great quote. Smile

Secondly, that's a great problem: how a young child ,who is not conscious, eventually becomes conscious. Let me offer for criticism the solution that I devised as part of my system. First, I should say that a child is conscious; he feels pain, warmth, sees his mother, etc. What he lacks is self-consciousness, which as I've said throughout this and other consciousness related threads, is only different by degree from consciousness (I'm not criticizing your use of consciousness, this is just my terminology). The one arises from the other (and not at any momentary point) when enough sensations have accumulated (i.e. memories) that they begin to relate to one another to the extent that they form schematic ideas (time, self, etc.) which are relatively fixed (in comparison to the constant flow of present sensations), such that those schema can be used to evaluate the present.

In other words, a thought is a sensation defined in terms of another sensation, or a sensation in terms of a thought, or a thought in terms of another thought, or a thought in terms of a meta-thought, and so on ad infinitum up the hierarchy. Each higher rank constitutes a thing in terms of which a lower rank may be defined, evaluated, judged, measured, etc. To speak metaphorically, it is the vantage point from which the whole of what is below can be seen clearly ('clearly' for the perpective from that point). Without these relatively stable schematic ideas, one could have no conception of self, no memories, no planning, no reflection: no self-consciousness. The alternative, an eternal present, is a lower form of consicousness, not self-aware, which is shared alike by babies, chickens, and oak trees, though again in varying degrees.
paulhanke

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:52 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;89104 wrote:
From the perspective of every entity there is a unique world, because each entity is structurally unique and his world is a reflection of that structure, in relation to its envrionment. So, this does present problems for communication. However, some entities are more similiar in structureto one another than to others: e.g. you and I relative you and a foot-stool. Our worlds are more similiar than is your world and the world of the foot-stool.

In other words, the fact that we can communicate (imperfectly mind you) does not prove that there is an objective reality that we are both talking about, but rather than the individual, phenomenological worlds we each are talking about are similiar enough that we can talk about most parts of our respective worlds and be understood to some extent by each other. While, on the other hand, the foot-stool seems smugly deaf to our comments...:whistling:Very Happy

... yes, but it still seems a bit odd to me to assume an external world where if both of us are structurally similar and equipped with similar "perspectives" yet the external world is pure chaos that if I hold up what I perceive to be an apple and ask you what it is that I am holding that you would respond by saying "an apple", as at that moment you could cutting up the chaos into a circus elephant (let alone could you respond at all, as whatever it is that we intersubjectively perceive as sound waves wouldn't be there for the intersubjective perceiving, either) ... it also seems a bit odd to me to assume an external world where "structural similarity" can be coherent with "a lack of order entirely" - that is, how can you, as part of my external world and thus being nothing but chaos, bear any structural similarity to me? ... it seems much more coherent to me that if one is going to bother assuming an external world at all that one would assume an external world in which objective order allows for structural similarity, intersubjectivity, and communication, than to assume an external world in which a lack of order entirely leads one to right back to solipsism ...
0 Replies

KaseiJin

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 06:58 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;88990 wrote:
In the event that you may feel any value in answering (and I am not putting pressure here, this is an honest question), jeeprs, I would like to ask if you tend to agree that your quoted section in that above post, taken just, and only, as it is, in the context of languages, is true?

Just to make sure things have been taken correctly here, I want to double check this. My having said, "jeeprs, I would like to ask if you tend to agree that your quoted section in that above post," it is understood that I had been talking about the quote that you had given your post which is above the post that that sentence is in. In your #125 post, you had only had one quote, and I had been talking about that one.

jeeprs;89083 wrote:
Well, of course I think it is true, which is why I made the point.

So, in your post which I have quoted immediately above, you are saying that you agree that what I am saying in that portion which you had quoted in your #125, is true; correct? Then, if so (while I understand that you wish not to further defend your earlier denial of my assertion that the computer analogy had been talking about translation, and the sentence on the hard drive would have meaning), what might you be talking about, more specificially, when you say 'which is why I made the point?' What point are you referring to?

BrightNoon;89104 wrote:
First, let me address a methodological issue.

Kielicious, and other materialists in the thread:

If you require scientific/empiric evidence of any claim made, it is impossible for anyone who does not share your materialist conception of consicousness to debate with you. To require that sort of evidence assumes already that consciousness is purely a biological problem.

This appears to be even greater a methodological error ! If we were discussing religious belief-system (faith based) matters, it would be understood that no one would need to suppport any and all claims whatsoever, made. However, we are not doing so. We have to go firstly and foremost by what we can see in nature as it has presented itself through time, to the degree that we can. It is not at all a matter of anyone having firstly presupposed that consciousness, as defined in the English language naturally, and as defined in this thread in finer nuances (not the broadest sense which you may have wanted to protect . . . because that is nonsensical in nature much more than anything else) was a natural, material circumstance involved with ganglion tissue--and by extension, brain, but rather that the passage of time and natural conditions and circumstances have taught us that that is the kingpin of understanding anything at all.
BrightNoon

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 07:07 pm
@Pathfinder,
Pathfinder;87819 wrote:
I do not see how any of us can define consciousness without taking into consideration that, even as we perform the act of thinking on the matter, we are increasing our consciousness of the matter. This immediately brings to our awareness that this consciousness of which we are struggling to define is going through a constant changing process with every consideration of it.

How can such a thing be defined that is one thing at one second, and something else in the next second. It is like trying to define the wind as it changes from breeze to gust and back again. Is the wind to be defined as a breeze or as a gust?

Consciousness is X, and also the sentence 'Consciousness is X', and also the sentence 'and also the sentence 'Consciousness is X''...indeed

Quote:
My point is that this continuous alteration of our consciousness must not be left aside when trying to define it because it is crucial to the definition. I am not so sure our definitions are not being flawed for that reason.

Fortunately, our language allows us to make outrageous generalities, so we're alright I think.

Quote:
As Salima has pointed out, there is certainly a 'degree' of consciousness, as an infant, that would not be anywhere near the same definition of what it becomes in a few years. But is that infant not still the same person? The exact same identity? Is the individual self of that person changed as the consciousness increases in awareness and ability? The identity is Salima the infant, Salima the child, the teen, the adult. All are Salima because that is the person born to the parents, continuing in that body and aging day by day. Nothing of the consciousness changes that identity. It is always Salima

If a person is defined by the name that people call him, and people always call him the same name, then yes, he is the same person throughout his life. I think that's unsatisfactory though, as is a definition based on physiology; cells regenerate constantly and no one is ever the same over a period time in this sense. To me, a person is defined by their experiences, or rather those of them which at any given moment they remember. Without memory, a person is like a goat, or a tree: no self.

I agree with the rest of what you said, very nice.
paulhanke

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 08:39 pm
@KaseiJin,
KaseiJin;89110 wrote:
This appears to be even greater a methodological error ! If we were discussing religious belief-system (faith based) matters, it would be understood that no one would need to suppport any and all claims whatsoever, made. However, we are not doing so. We have to go firstly and foremost by what we can see in nature as it has presented itself through time, to the degree that we can. It is not at all a matter of anyone having firstly presupposed that consciousness, as defined in the English language naturally, and as defined in this thread in finer nuances (not the broadest sense which you may have wanted to protect . . . because that is nonsensical in nature much more than anything else) was a natural, material circumstance involved with ganglion tissue--and by extension, brain, but rather that the passage of time and natural conditions and circumstances have taught us that that is the kingpin of understanding anything at all.

... actually, I think one point BrightNoon might be trying to get at here is that consciousness is first a phenomenological problem ... it is only second a metaphysical problem ... the methodological error here may be in thinking that one can develop a metaphysics for something before one really understands what that something is in and of itself ... and recall that Newton's science made no metaphysical commitment regarding gravity - he did all the legwork of describing how gravity behaves and rationalizing that whatever gravity is it is responsible both for apples falling to earth as well as the moon circling around the earth, but he failed to pin it down as to what gravity arises from ... it wasn't until Einstein came along with a metaphysics of bent space-time that Newton's science could be improved upon ... but Einstein had a leg up on Newton - he had Newton's description of what gravity is in and of itself as a starting point Smile ...
richrf

Reply Tue 8 Sep, 2009 08:42 pm
@BrightNoon,
BrightNoon;89104 wrote:
If consciousness is the sum of all experience (i.e. purely phenomenological), how can it become condensed and thereby more solid? In what sense of the word can non-physical things become condensed? Furthermore, putting aside the specific process you credit with the feat, how can a non-physical thing (certain experiences) become a physical thing? Where, so to speak, is all this happening? In the external world? In that case, from whence comes the consciousness in the first place? Is it an objective, 'real' object? I'm confused.

Experiences, which would be entangled, superimposed quantum waves, would be enfolded withing consciousness in the same way waves form a hologram. They are then unfolded by light, as is a holographic pattern. Quantum waves would be the basic stuff of all experiences as it is the stuff of all matter and energy. David Bohm, a noted quantum physicist, developed an interpretation of quantum mechanics which he called the Implicate Order. It is basically a metaphysical description of the universe which is very close to what I suggest. His description can be found by googling "david bohm implicate order".

Consciousness would first have to be turned into energy and energy into matter. Energy can be turned into matter but it requires an extraordinary amount of energy, much more than we can create at one time. However, physicists have theorized that this did occur at the very beginning - call it the Big Bang. So, I would suggest that consciousness created this thing called energy (which is not matter) and then a further condensation under tremendous force created matter from the energy.

BrightNoon;89104 wrote:
On the other hand, I would agree with your description, more or less, if you mean that the more primitive sort of consciousness (visceral sensations, basic thoughts) congeals, or condenses, or become arranged, such that it forms complexes (i.e. more complex thoughts, e.g. 'physical thing').

This would certainly be one way to look at it.

Rich