Who said this?

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 05:09 am
We believe that liberty is the design of nature. We believe that liberty is the direction of history. We believe that human fulfillment and excellence come in the responsible exercise of liberty. And we believe that freedom, the freedom we prize, is not for us alone. It is the right and the capacity of all mankind.

Who spoke these words?

Your comments, please, after you've read the whole speech.

Joe

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/11/06/politics/06TEXT-BUSH.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 866 • Replies: 3
No top replies

perception

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 09:10 am
Joe

Thanks for posting the link for the text of that speech----the substance was powerful but I doubt that the critics will applaud----they are more likely to say it is simplistic and meaningless.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 06:53 pm
I think it's a great speech, it was the subject of Bill Safire's column this morning in the NYT. (yes, I read Safire, much to the horror of most of my friends, but I tell them you must know what your adversary is thinking or saying.) I hope that he means most of what he said. I'm encouraged that the man who sniffed at 'nation building' in the debates could make such a speech. (I wonder who wrote it?)
It is a little disingenuous to make some of the statements about freedom when we are holding the prisoner down in Cuba in isolation, but on the whole if he sticks to what he said things in the world will be better.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2003 05:52 pm
Joe

Yes, it was a great speech and no he didn't write it and the presentation was probably poor but I think he meant every word of it-----people keep underestimating this man which for our enemies is good because to them it makes him unpredictable, which leads to confusion and confusion leads to disorder and chaos which in turn will lead to collapse-----I hope.

A genius I know insisted that he only had an IQ of 90 and he won every round because they underestimated him and by the time they caught on they were dead meat.
0 Replies