@north,
north;147427 wrote:
why do we question the obvious ?

Because of limited Imagination and social con-sensus.:bigsmile:
north

Reply Fri 2 Apr, 2010 01:00 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

Pepijn Sweep;147434 wrote:
Because of limited Imagination and social con-sensus.:bigsmile:

agreed

and to add no understanding of the fundamentals of the reality which allows us to exist and therefore to question things in the first place

such as those things that we come from and that we are made of things which are produced from the Universe , first and foremost
platorepublic

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 12:39 pm
@Deftil,
What makes better philosophers? A very raw and instinctive and perhaps unthoughtful question, but I ask anyway.

Art students or science students? University students or those who have not had such an education. Teachers? Politicians?
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 30 Apr, 2010 02:41 pm
@north,
north;147437 wrote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by north http://www.philosophyforum.com/images/PHBlue/buttons/viewpost.gif

agreed

and to add no understanding of the fundamentals of the reality which allows us to exist and therefore to question things in the first place

such as those things that we come from and that we are made of things which are produced from the Universe , first and foremost

First and foremost... What was earlier essence or existence matter or mind
0 Replies

4everfaded

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:17 pm
@TickTockMan,
ask a painter to paint a portrait of a christian or a catholic.what will be created on canvas is a man in ceremonial clothing. christians and catholics only exists in a belief system. ask the same painter to paint a picture of god and his imagination will run wild.
0 Replies

north

Reply Sun 13 Jun, 2010 07:44 pm
@Deftil,

there are none

0 Replies

Pompy

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 01:53 am
@krumbs82,
personally, i believe that there needs to be a balance between everything to keep things working. If there is no balance, things don't work. So, if you ever had the thought or experienced pleasure in any way, then you have had a thought about pain. Visa versa. We as beings have the desire to understand, so i beleive that to know one, you must know the other. Once again, us as human beings. Other beings and species might not function the same way.
0 Replies

HappyHali

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:04 pm
@validity,
Not possible........because they are not the same.
0 Replies

HappyHali

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2010 10:07 pm
@Deftil,
What is "God"?
nickmahesh

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:47 am
How the difference between a dream and actual life can be established?
0 Replies

nickmahesh

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:48 am
@HappyHali,
The supreme power which makes you, me and the universe move.
0 Replies

Razzleg

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:51 am
@Deftil,
What is the nature of time?
0 Replies

nickmahesh

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2010 02:56 am
@HappyHali,
Let us try to deduce the concept of GOD as below :
Man thinks of GOD or any good power when he is in problem. A problem is created by evil.
Man fears because of the evil and so believes that evil does exit and can do harm so he thinks of GOD who can save him from being hurt by the evil.
There must be a balance i.e. if there is pain,then there is and there must be relief; if there is light,then there is and there must be darkness(which is nothing but the absense of light).
In the same way if there is a bad power, then there is and there must be a good power.
And so if there is evil(who does bad), then there must exist some power which can do good.
We call that good power GOD.
0 Replies

manorbis

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:08 am
I guess what I think is that a lot of these questions depend on your beliefs.

Me, as a Christian, I can answer "why are we here?", "why does anything exist?", "What is my purpose?" and most other questions that come up. Then more questions would be raised.

The people that think everything is part of their imagination, well, that to me sounds more like a religion than a philosophy, personally. Like it was mentioned, "they think they're gods" (paraphrased).

"Life is meaningless" or "Meaninglessness of life", well, it's not meaningless. There are eternal consequences for everything someone does. "In a million years, who will care?" Well, for one, you. I subscribe to two unconflicted thoughts on that. One, you'll still have the consequences(the good and the bad) of your actions in a million years. And two, want someone to care? Then work your butt of to be the best, make the biggest difference and leave a legacy that will be discussed in the future. Genghis Kahn, Alexander the great, Hannible, the Spartans, Napolian, Patton, Hitler and all the others with such a level of Fame or Imfamy that they will forever be known as long as this Earth spins.

Sure, in five days someone can come by and nuke the planet and send us into a day of darkness for several thousand years, but just like before with prior writings that "should" have been destroyed when Rome was sacked, they will survive.

And if I had to add my own question....

"How do you go crazy, do you conciously let go of your hold on reality, or does something snap and you slip into insanity?"
0 Replies

manorbis

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:25 am
@reldatid,
I'd go ahead and through it out there that IF that philosophy was actually true, IE, you're the only real thing, it'd create problems and questions to keep itself fueled, otherwise, I'd assume you'd drift into darkness and crumble. Shut down.

I'd compare it to when someone has no job and no school, they just sit there. They sleep more and more each day and "veg out." They simply shutdown and be less and less productive until something comes along to give them "purpose" to get them moving.
0 Replies

manorbis

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 10:30 am
@Imnotrussian,
the end DOES NOT justify the means. Do what you can to save lives while maintaining your principles, standards and morals.
0 Replies

Pepijn Sweep

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2010 11:05 am
Can I know you are sane reading your post ?
0 Replies

SHANEO

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 02:02 pm
@CarolA,
1)Religiously:we are here beacuse ever since Lucifer went against GOD he wanted to prove and be the most powerful in the universe. dat can only be done thru us. either be with GOD and satan is defeated or be against GOD and satan wins and the universe will be full of sin.

Generally: a bunch of atoms combined thru time and created us. basically we exist by chance. slowly we grew a brain to ask this question.

2) No purpose. we have make our own purposes to make our lives worth it.
tomkatn

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:10 pm
If there is a God and He is all powerful can He make a stone He can not lift?
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2010 03:14 pm
@tomkatn,
YES ! But He has free will... U can choose sometime soon
0 Replies