Fido

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:18 am
@Cyracuz,
Cyracuz wrote:

Quote:
And the mind is in the brain

How do you know that?
You are correct... Your mind is in your horn... And I know that because my mind is in my head, which is the usual and correct address...
Fido

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:23 am
@Zen,
Zen wrote:

S/he doesn't know. That is the short answer. However, if we take science seriously, it would see very legitimate to say that our most important parts of the "mind" reside in the mind - damage the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex is going to influence our personality and so forth. Sure, this is post hoc and it has not given us a specific area or quantity that functions as "mind", but it seems more substantiated than claiming it is some immaterial entity.
To be exact, the brain is as extensive as the body... Every blood vessel has nerves attached to it, for example... When people hurt, their mind is in their pain rather than anywhere else, and when you consider the number who do as I did, and worked till they hurt, or suffer their abuse and inactivity, it is easier to understand how little there is of understanding, wisdom or human progress... It is hard to get far enough out of our own being to recognize our being as something we have and hold in common with others....
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:34 am
@Fil Albuquerque,
Fil Albuquerque wrote:

...you ought to know the difference between the causes of mind and what mind is...even I who hardly agree with most of what this guys believe can see where you are missing the point here...
I don't know about oughts here... The nervous systems of people are very complex and easily wacked out... We say mind, but is an attempt with a moral form to objectify what is a very complex process in our nervous system that allows us to conceive of consciousness... Such consciousness is a luxury because people who must concentrate fully on their survival do not enjoy it, and do it unconsciously... As Aristotle tried to point out, philosophy is something people usually do as soon as they get a little ahead of their daily needs...There was once a philosopher who was a slave, and so badly beaten for not working in preference to contemplation that he had then to drag himself daily and for the balance of his life to that place where he taught... Slaves make poor philosophers no matter how stoic they are... Just as morality is an essential element of freedom, it is impossible for a moral person to accept slavery of any sort... It is an injustice alike for master or slave, and no moral person would be a party to it...
Fido

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 09:36 am
@Zen,
Zen wrote:

Without the causes of mind, you wont have the mind. I cannot separate the mind from its causes. What do you refer to when you say mind?

I am sorry if this is an obtuse question, but I am not sure what the mind is beyond its physical causes.
We can reasonably expect a cause in seeing the effect, but we will never be able to prove a cause when it is obvious that we are seeing a single effect of many causes...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 01:17 pm
@Fido,
I hope you do not treat that piece of info as fact, because it is not fact.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 04:58 pm
@Cyracuz,
But it is equally true that you are unaware of your definition of the word 'fact'.

That's a fact! LOL
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:20 pm
@JPLosman0711,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fact
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:22 pm
@Cyracuz,
When humans agree on what can be a fact can get pretty subjective.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:29 pm
@Cyracuz,
Very typical, you let the 'dictionary'(the world) do all the defining in your life, and as a consequence it's all you profess and all you have to talk about.

Useless.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:30 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Perhaps. We often think that the theories that are supported by facts are also facts themselves, but that is not the case. But as soon as we put two facts together there is the problem of interpretation.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:32 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Since that was a remark about my person and not about the issue at hand, I will do you the courtesy of ignoring that post.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:34 pm
@Cyracuz,
Replying to a post is sure a strange way of ignoring it.

PS: You're not doing 'me' any courtesies here pal, in fact, there isn't any 'me' for you to extend courtesy to!

The funniest thing about that is you already know it! LOL
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:36 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Quote:
Replying to a post is sure a strange way of ignoring it.

Indeed. Ops. Very Happy
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:38 pm
@Cyracuz,
You do alot of posting but zero issue resolving.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:40 pm
@JPLosman0711,
That's your opinion.
But truthfully, I am more interested in evolving issues than resolving them.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:52 pm
@Cyracuz,
Ever stop to wonder why you resort to levelling down someone's response to a matter of 'opinion'? Perhaps it's time you did so that you could see 'who' would show up in your place?

Your posts suggest otherwise, your un-thought out, rehashing of popular conceptions evolves nothing.
Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:55 pm
@JPLosman0711,
Because it is an opinion.
You offer taunts and insults, but nothing that's actually relevant.
JPLosman0711

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 05:59 pm
@Cyracuz,
Levelling down something to a matter of 'opinion' is your strategy for dealing with people who don't agree with you.

It's your way of 'fending' off so that you do not have to 'think' in the conversation.

This is part of your strategy for living and dealing with the world that has been thrust upon you.

Incidently, for people like you, the word 'living' could very well be interchanged with ' having to deal with'. LOL
Zen

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 08:26 pm
@Fido,
Quote:
The nervous systems of people are very complex and easily wacked out... We say mind, but is an attempt with a moral form to objectify what is a very complex process in our nervous system that allows us to conceive of consciousness...

I would say that the computational part of cognizance and higher order thinking (which includes things important to our personal identities, such as: beliefs, desires, memories et cetera), occur in the brain. I am willing to make the reduction to the brain, but I am not certain what part of the brain constitutes "mind" (narrow body view).

That is just me. I am not really interested in quantifying or trying to explain quality of experience.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2012 11:37 pm
@JPLosman0711,
You are speaking like you know me. If it's an attempt at provocation, you should know that it is hardly effective.

Now, how about this, you post something that is on topic, or at the very least something in response to the issue we were discussing, and I will refrain from reporting you for attacks on another member's person. You must distinguish between your opinions and facts. You must also distinguish between your disagreement on an issue and the apparent hostility you show towards those voicing disagreement with you. The first is welcome, the second is not, and like I said, if you persist I will not tolerate it.