Atom Smasher - Death of Us All

Solace

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2008 11:31 pm
@No0ne,
All the world suddenly destroyed by a singularity... nah that just ain't dramatic enough.:poke-eye:
0 Replies

Deftil

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:03 pm
@No0ne,
Here's the latest:

Quote:
LHC re-start scheduled for 2009
Geneva, 23 September 2008. Investigations at CERN1 following a large helium leak into sector 3-4 of the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) tunnel have indicated that the most likely cause of the incident was a faulty electrical connection between two of the accelerator's magnets. Before a full understanding of the incident can be established, however, the sector has to be brought to room temperature and the magnets involved opened up for inspection. This will take three to four weeks. Full details of this investigation will be made available once it is complete.

"Coming immediately after the very successful start of LHC operation on 10 September, this is undoubtedly a psychological blow," said CERN Director General Robert Aymar. "Nevertheless, the success of the LHC's first operation with beam is testimony to years of painstaking preparation and the skill of the teams involved in building and running CERN's accelerator complex. I have no doubt that we will overcome this setback with the same degree of rigour and application."

The time necessary for the investigation and repairs precludes a restart before CERN's obligatory winter maintenance period, bringing the date for restart of the accelerator complex to early spring 2009. LHC beams will then follow.

Particle accelerators such as the LHC are unique machines, built at the cutting edge of technology. Each is its own prototype, and teething troubles at the start-up phase are therefore always possible.

"The LHC is a very complex instrument, huge in scale and pushing technological limits in many areas," said Peter Limon, who was responsible for commissioning the world's first large-scale superconducting accelerator, the Tevatron at Fermilab in the USA. "Events occur from time to time that temporarily stop operations, for shorter or longer periods, especially during the early phases."

CERN has received similar words of support from several laboratories, including Germany's DESY, home of the HERA superconducting particle accelerator, which ran from 1992 to 2007.

"We at DESY have been following the commissioning of the LHC with great excitement and have been very impressed with the success of the first day," said Albrecht Wagner, DESY Director. "I am confident that our colleagues at CERN will solve the problem speedily and we will continue to support them as much as we can."

CERN Press Release

That's a bummer, man. But things happen with really big expensive techie toys, I suppose.
TickTockMan

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2008 02:18 pm
@Deftil,
CARPE HADRON!
0 Replies

No0ne

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:11 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yeah, the scientists have basically laughed off suggestions that this thing could kill us. Which is why I don't worry about the matter. Besides, if they are wrong, we wont have enough time to notice before we are all compressed into a singularity.

:detective:*Note it's unknown how the big bang was made...
:detective:*Note it's unknown how anti-matter is made...
:detective:*Note it's unkown how dark-matter is made...
:detective:*Note some information is known how a black hole is made, and it's not by the method that they are doing on earth...

So here is what I know about what the experiment is...

The observation of the reaction's of high speed negitive and positive proton collisions.

Which would result in one of three out come's.( The other's are speculation from out-sider's... and ignorance)

1. They fuse, and result in a unknown reaction (Maybe make anti-matter)
2. One of them split's the other, and results in a known reaction (BOOM!)
3. Observe the spiral that they create once they meet one another head on.
4.They spiral, and colapse into one another, and create a "singularity"

There are more, yet the true outcome is Number 3, which is to observe the spiral that is created after the collision of the positive and negitive.

(It's not a real collision, it's as if they pass each other then spiral to a single or oppisite point's depending on the speed. )
No0ne

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2008 04:13 pm
@No0ne,
:whistling:Im sure they are LOL'n due to the fact that they understand physic's and the rest of the world is lacking a few key-understanding's of the experiment & physic's....
Poseidon

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2008 08:43 pm
@No0ne,
No0ne wrote:
:whistling:Im sure they are LOL'n due to the fact that they understand physic's and the rest of the world is lacking a few key-understanding's of the experiment & physic's....

If they really understood it, then they would not need to do an experiment to understand it.

That is why its called an experiment.

I bet they all believe the Americans put a man on the moon as well.
(Do things on the moon move at 1/6th or half that of earth?)
TickTockMan

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 04:00 pm
@Poseidon,
Terrifying webcam footage from CERN:

lhc

I don't think I can run that fast.
Deftil

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:38 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;26845 wrote:
Terrifying webcam footage from CERN:

lhc

I don't think I can run that fast.

Ok, that's freakin awesome.
0 Replies

AtheistDeity

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 12:25 am
@Victor Eremita,
The experiment has already been completed. *checks to see if we're all alive*
The scientists who created it have already said that, when run the machine would only create microscopic black holes, that would only be sustained for nanoseconds.
It would take one of those nearly the size of the Earth to kill us all.
The end of the world theory was all just propaganda started so someone could get a lil attention.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 01:22 am
@AtheistDeity,
At least the fear brought attention to the project. I'm no fan of fear mongering, but I doubt anyone was truly shaken by the wild speculations. Without a bit of invented controversy the project may have received far less attention, being just another science project the public doesn't understand.
TickTockMan

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 10:06 am
@Didymos Thomas,
People have been freaking out about the whole CERN thing.

I just don't get it. I've been excited about CERN firing up since I first heard about it some 6-7 years ago.
BaCaRdi

Reply Tue 28 Oct, 2008 07:03 pm
@Victor Eremita,
I highly doubt a blackhole would open and swallow us. As predicted by many Physicist the blackhole would vanish instantaneously.

If you smash particles, you get just that, more and more smaller particles to infinity.

Lets smash two human beings together, and see what we get?
Let me guess particles within smaller particles?

The search is for the "Higg's Boson", and the "Higg's Field" itself.

A very amazing theory I believe in, very much so!

-Marc

0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 06:11 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Hey there has been a development on this story. As you may all recall, it basically shorted out when they started it out. Now a real, legitimate physicist has come up with:

Quote:
the notion that the troubled collider is being sabotaged by its own future. A pair of otherwise distinguished physicists have suggested that the hypothesized Higgs boson, which physicists hope to produce with the collider, might be so abhorrent to nature that its creation would ripple backward through time and stop the collider before it could make one, like a time traveler who goes back in time to kill his grandfather.

The story is covered in the NY Times.

Don't know whether to laugh or flee screaming for the hills (or maybe take up sci-fi writing, it seems a fertile field...'Hawkings meets Terminator'...)
Solace

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:09 pm
@jeeprs,
So the possibility that an 18 mile long machine might simply have a few bugs in it is less likely? :rolleyes: Heck, I get annoyed when my 2'x2' pc is on the fritz...
manfred

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 09:14 pm
@Solace,
Atom smasher,maybe.
I'm leaning more towards the day we literally achieve absolute zero.
0 Replies

jeeprs

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 02:55 am
@Victor Eremita,
just get yer thermals on.
manfred

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 06:55 am
@jeeprs,
jeeprs;98039 wrote:
just get yer thermals on.

:poke-eye:...you goofball.
You do realise what will happen if an object's core temperature has no signature vibration,right?Well i dont either but im willing to bet the space in which this object occupied will be none too happy...and then there's that whole time distortion aspect of this little game of "Let's play God" to somehow manipulate in our favor.It's just too much for my tiny brain to comprehend.
0 Replies

Joe

Reply Sat 17 Oct, 2009 05:44 pm
@validity,
validity;24984 wrote:
I guess people study time travel, becuase it is theoretically possible, and they are looking for ways in which to experimentally verify it. If it were possible to time travel backwards, would you not like to resolve the problem of what happens if you were to prevent (by non violent means) your own birth? What philosophical questions would that raise?

"All you Zombies" by Robert Heinlein Is a great story about time travel. It deals with the issue of.....well Im not exactly sure how to explain it. i believe there is a song that goes something like, "Im my own grandpa". lol. Its a weird story.Smile
0 Replies

validity

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 05:42 pm
@TickTockMan,
TickTockMan;26930 wrote:
People have been freaking out about the whole CERN thing.

I just don't get it. I've been excited about CERN firing up since I first heard about it some 6-7 years ago.

The assumptions of these 'freaking out people' as to what is planned to occur are wrong, leading to false conclusions.

I too have been excited since I first heard of this project and in particular the results from ATLAS. I think it holds the largest bang for buck. The results should change current understanding considerably, either through confirmation or denial of leading theories.

Do you have any specifics you are interested in?
TickTockMan

Reply Thu 22 Oct, 2009 06:59 pm
@validity,
validity;99328 wrote:
The assumptions of these 'freaking out people' as to what is planned to occur are wrong, leading to false conclusions.

I too have been excited since I first heard of this project and in particular the results from ATLAS. I think it holds the largest bang for buck. The results should change current understanding considerably, either through confirmation or denial of leading theories.

Do you have any specifics you are interested in?

Not being a physicist, and having only a PBS/NOVA level acquaintance with physics in general, I can't say I have any specific interests in the LHC, but in general, I'm interested to see what their findings might reveal about our universe, and any possible discoveries that could lead to the development of new technologies, some of which I understand might be in the field of quantum computing.

The science fiction fan in me was always fascinated by the idea of multiple dimensions posited by string theory, and I understand that the LHC may provide information relative to that particular branch of study as well.

I'm sadly out of the loop on a lot of these matters, but not so much that I'm concerned that the test are going to open up a universe swallowing black hole, as many people seem to think.