A proof of God's self-evidence

midas77

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:39 pm
@Aedes,
Quote:
Hardly. If you want to prove it to a believer, then your standards don't need to be very high -- that whole "preaching to the choir" thing... If you want to prove it to a skeptic, good luck. That's quite a burden of proof to shoulder.

Lets use the standard of reason and assume for a while Kierkegard's leap of faith assertion is false. If the quote above holds any water then for an atheist a mere assertion of an impossbility of a rational proof of God's existence will be poolproof.

Quote:

Because a purely rational proof will at best lead to a logical tautology that has no relationship to ACTUAL existence outside the proof itself. Though realistically I'd bet that most such proofs will inevitably have circularity and assumptions just below the surface as well.

What is wrong with logical tautology if it adds to knowledge? Prooving that a "three angular close figure" is also a "three sided close figure" adds to the knowledge of a a triangle. I agree that an actual existence can not be derived from a logical tautology and even a logical neccessity. But in the original post starter, it use thomas aguinas which is in my reading does not offer ontological-logical proof but a metaphysical proof.

To say that a rational proof of God's existence is impossible must have its rational foundation too. The only way to do this is to proove the incosistency or the self-contradictory nature of the concept we call God.
OntheWindowStand

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:44 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
Hardly. If you want to prove it to a believer, then your standards don't need to be very high -- that whole "preaching to the choir" thing... If you want to prove it to a skeptic, good luck. That's quite a burden of proof to shoulder.

Because a purely rational proof will at best lead to a logical tautology that has no relationship to ACTUAL existence outside the proof itself. Though realistically I'd bet that most such proofs will inevitably have circularity and assumptions just below the surface as well.

You are assuming logic and reason can comprehend EVERYTHING when somthing is shown that can't be the proofs would look outside the proof for the answer.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:45 pm
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
Kierkegaard is the one from whom the "leap of faith" idea famously comes, i.e. belief in God is NOT rational.

Thinkers had suggested that belief in God was not rational for centuries before Kierkegaard. Muslim philosophers recognized this pretty quickly in the middle ages.
Protoman2050

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:00 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Thinkers had suggested that belief in God was not rational for centuries before Kierkegaard. Muslim philosophers recognized this pretty quickly in the middle ages.

And this could be why they so stubbornly cling to their Qu'ran, which, if you look at it closely, alongside of the Torah, Gospels, and Epistles, which it claims to be the fufillment of, there's so many true contradictions; Contradictions / Difficulties in the Qur'an. Faith needs to be tempered by reason, and reason needs to go as far as possible before we play the "faith" card; God is a god of logic, order, and reason; would He expect His followers to be the opposite?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 11:24 pm
@Protoman2050,
Quote:
And this could be why they so stubbornly cling to their Qu'ran

What do you mean 'stubbornly cling'? If you mean Islamic fundamentalism, this is the result of radicals taking everything in the book literally - which misses the point of the book.

Quote:
if you look at it closely, alongside of the Torah, Gospels, and Epistles, which it claims to be the fufillment of, there's so many true contradictions; Contradictions / Difficulties in the Qur'an.

The Torah, Gospels and Epistles are also full of contradictions.

Looking through this link you provide, it seems like the author was more interested in finding apparent contradictions in the book rather than understanding the book. Checking the main site, I'm appalled by the blatant misrepresentation of Islam promoted by the site.

Quote:
Faith needs to be tempered by reason, and reason needs to go as far as possible before we play the "faith" card; God is a god of logic, order, and reason; would He expect His followers to be the opposite?

Depends on which conception of God you appeal to. The notion of God has changed over time. We see contradictory notions of God in the Bible.
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:32 am
@Didymos Thomas,
There was a fairly interesting discussion going on in my thread on god proofs that perhapse you might find interesting, protoman.

Here is my take:
In considering anything, such consideration is only an amalgamte of experience such that it cannot exceed that whithin which it is contained, the mind, nor can it include that which cannot be physically experienced or concieved i.e., nothing which is concieved can be anything but a conglomerate of sense experience and a priori cognition applied to it.

It follows that any conception of god must be limited to physical reality and deductions made thereof, and thus the conception of god is of essentially the same nature as any conception derived from experience.

Further, if one wishes to disregard cartesian mind matter dualism, a thought is a part of the physical universe as a chemical trace and thus bounded within the physical, therefore, conception of god is a part of the physical universe supposed to be god's creation and thus a creation of gods.
God must be related in some manner to this universe assuming it to be god's creation, as god is of a nature by which the medium of physical reality can be shaped and indeed created by god, and assuming that god is not only the physical universe, proving god through any mental or physical means is akin to showing a totality by one of its constituent parts. Such an attempt is nonsensical, unless the whole is of the same nature as the part, no more no less, which is a contradiction to the assumption of an extraphysical god.

A few side points of interest include that:
1) The hebrew conception of god is more along the line of god being that which is unknowable
2) It is impossible to prove anything without defining it, and god is not definable universally
3)By citing anyone your argument gains no credibility, authority is not a means to a proof, just putting that out there.
0 Replies

Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
What do you mean 'stubbornly cling'? If you mean Islamic fundamentalism, this is the result of radicals taking everything in the book literally - which misses the point of the book.

Looking through this link you provide, it seems like the author was more interested in finding apparent contradictions in the book rather than understanding the book. Checking the main site, I'm appalled by the blatant misrepresentation of Islam promoted by the site.

Depends on which conception of God you appeal to. The notion of God has changed over time. We see contradictory notions of God in the Bible.

Well, the author has lectured many times on Islam...go look up "Sam Shamoun". And he can understand the Qu'ran better then most Muslims...trust me, I've seen him debate Islamic clerics and scholars. And there is a difference b/w a true and apparent contradiction, you know. The Bible seems to contradict itself, but if you closely read and understand the text, it becomes perfectly clear...some parts you just have to take on faith, since God is infinite and our finite minds cannot understand Him in His entirity.

Anyway, back to the Qu'ran: it actually says the Bible is superior to it: The Challenge of the Quran & Its Implications for the Muslim Corruption Charges, as well as saying that Mohammed failed the test of being a prophet: Qur'an Contradiction: Did the Jews kill prophets who brought a sacrifice devoured by fire?; also that the Qu'ran affirms the Christian and Jewish scriptures while denying their message -- Islamic views about the Bible --...in order to get around this, Muslims had to develop an unwarranted theory about our Scriptures being corrupted, something which the Qu'ran does not support: What does the Qur'an say about the Jewish and Christian Scriptures --the Qu'ran commands Muslims to uphold and support the Bible!--

Answer that and challenge my faith and reasoning, please; I enjoy it.
0 Replies

Aedes

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:43 pm
@midas77,
I hear what you're saying, Midas -- I may need to clarify what I meant.
midas77 wrote:
To say that a rational proof of God's existence is impossible must have its rational foundation too. The only way to do this is to proove the incosistency or the self-contradictory nature of the concept we call God.
I meant that a rational proof of God's real existence, i.e. outside that realm of logic, is impossible. You can rationally prove anything. But when a theist asserts that God exists, that is an assertion about existence, not about logic, right?
Aedes

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 12:44 pm
@Protoman2050,
Protoman2050 wrote:
And this could be why they so stubbornly cling to their Qu'ran...
hmmm, I don't like the sound of that...
Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 02:54 pm
@Aedes,
Aedes wrote:
hmmm, I don't like the sound of that...

Badly phrased; sorry
Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I appeal to the God who is at once perfectly holy, just, merciful, and forgiving. And I don't see any true contradictions in the Bible as I see in the Qu'ran; all of those apparent contradictions are due to improper interpretation and thus can be resolved.

If the Abrahamic religions' holy books weren't meant to be taken literally --which by I mean poetry is poetry, narrative is narrative, events are events, figurative language is figurative language, etc.--, why do they have abundant quotations implying the opposite?
0 Replies

OntheWindowStand

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
@Protoman2050,
I guess that means what i said was right.

seeing as how no one responded to me
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Perfectly holy, just, merciful, forgiving, all things which are invention of men. God is not within the discription of god, but rather all descriptions are within god as they are by default part of god's creation thus less than god assuming you take god to be the creator, lest man can also create on the same level as god in which case you admit that man is god, which is just silly as we are such insignificant specks of amalgamte energy and space bound by the same physical laws as anything else. God can only be the unutterable, unkowable and no human thought can even approximate such a god, only god's works, as we are of the same nature of god's works, we are one with the physical universe, composed of the same matter and bound by the same physical laws.

Wittgenstien himself admitted that none of the great questions man can ask can be answered through logic and that thus metaphysics was not within the realm of the considerable.

This concept may be of interest to you protoman:
Logical proof is true within the assumptions made in its construction; e.g.
Making the assumption either my friend or I were the only two people who could have commited a given act and it could not have been both of us and the act was indeed committed then
(A)I committed the act
(B) My friend commited the act
A<---->~ B (A if and only if not B)
~A<---->B (not A if and only if B)
A B (A v B) (A or B) is tautology since the case for both A and B is
T F T T F excluded
F T F T T
Now the problem lies in the assumptions, no one can possibly reduce reality to all of its possiblities to confirm the assumptions and thus the proof is inheirently flawed. such a proof is applicable when probablility is taken into consideration, however it is not absolute. This is one problem with applied logical proof.

The next problem is more directly linked trying to define a metaphysical or supernatural thing specifically god. In orber that a thing be proven, it must be defined very specifially leaving out no attribute. In the case of god, such a definition restricts god to a very pale and insignificant figure or only addresses one attribute, such as a 'creator'. This god might not fit the descriptions of another person's god and might just turn out to be somthing insignificant, expelled by another simple logical proof.
Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:33 pm
@Zetetic11235,
Zetetic11235;18528 wrote:
Perfectly holy, just, merciful, forgiving, all things which are invention of men. God is not within the discription of god, but rather all descriptions are within god as they are by default part of god's creation thus less than god assuming you take god to be the creator, lest man can also create on the same level as god in which case you admit that man is god, which is just silly as we are such insignificant specks of amalgamte energy and space bound by the same physical laws as anything else. God can only be the unutterable, unkowable and no human thought can even approximate such a god, only god's works, as we are of the same nature of god's works, we are one with the physical universe, composed of the same matter and bound by the same physical laws.

Wittgenstien himself admitted that none of the great questions man can ask can be answered through logic and that thus metaphysics was not within the realm of the considerable.

This concept may be of interest to you protoman:
Logical proof is true within the assumptions made in its construction; e.g.
Making the assumption either my friend or I were the only two people who could have commited a given act and it could not have been both of us and the act was indeed committed then
(A)I committed the act
(B) My friend commited the act
A<---->~ B (A if and only if not B)
~A<---->B (not A if and only if B)
A B (A v B) (A or B) is tautology since the case for both A and B is
T F T T F excluded
F T F T T
Now the problem lies in the assumptions, no one can possibly reduce reality to all of its possiblities to confirm the assumptions and thus the proof is inheirently flawed. such a proof is applicable when probablility is taken into consideration, however it is not absolute. This is one problem with applied logical proof.

The next problem is more directly linked trying to define a metaphysical or supernatural thing specifically god. In orber that a thing be proven, it must be defined very specifially leaving out no attribute. In the case of god, such a definition restricts god to a very pale and insignificant figure or only addresses one attribute, such as a 'creator'. This god might not fit the descriptions of another person's god and might just turn out to be somthing insignificant, expelled by another simple logical proof.

I see. We cannot apply human concepts to God, but we can at least try to analogize, can we not?
OntheWindowStand

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:42 pm
@Protoman2050,
attempting to understand something when you have no basis or start for learning merely puts you into more ignorance thats why you'll hear people say the word faith in trusting the Bible.
Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:43 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
OntheWindowStand;18536 wrote:
attempting to understand something when you have no basis or start for learning merely puts you into more ignorance thats why you'll hear people say the word faith in trusting the Bible.

Elaborate, please!
OntheWindowStand

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 07:48 pm
@Protoman2050,
Protoman2050 wrote:
Elaborate, please!

Because any progress appeared to be made just dilutes why you tried to learn before. It will always be rout with speculation and misapplied lessons.
That is why when dealing with something so complicated like God you need help along the way. People often look for this help in the Bible which takes a great deal of faith in it because if its wrong nothing they learned about God is valid anymore.
Protoman2050

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:03 pm
@OntheWindowStand,
Paul did say "If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are (A)of all men most to be pitied." (Wink
OntheWindowStand

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:06 pm
@Protoman2050,
Indeed he did, philosophy in the Bible. That actually reminds me Paul actually get into a deep discussion with the philosophers in one the towns he was staying in sorry i cant remember which
Zetetic11235

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 08:13 pm
@Protoman2050,
I see. We cannot apply human concepts to God, but we can at least try to analogize, can we not?-protoman 2050

But would it not be a human concept to which we draw our analogy, a process which is itself human in origin, thus godly in origin thus still a part of a whole and no more applicable than anything which we can use to describe a human conception of god. I think the rationalization and adopting a doctrine can only muddle the idea of the devine and unkowable by covering it with mental blankets. A doctrine is not truth, no matter what, your truth comes form within you but thus from god as you are of god. If you take your truth form a doctrine or from fear of pumishment or from anything but yourself and your perception you will find that those beliefs to be a hinderence and a burden rather than anything worth keeping.

I first realized that to act in fear of god is not true morality when I was 12. My confirmation speech (I found the whole process of confirmation obligatory and agreed to it in order to please my parents) was mostly an attack upon the injustice of exculsion based on faith when the person in question was truely a great person and was not christian. The adults found my view 'interesting' and held for me no answers I could accept. One example which I included was ghandi, due to the fact that at the time it had been indicated to me that you could not be non-christian and still be admitted to "the kingdom of heaven". I questioned how it could be just to exclude those who have never heard of christianity from this 'kingdom' based upon a mere formality dispite the greatness and compassion in their actions. I recieved no answers that were remotely satisfactory. Bear in mind that this was a very liberal church, most of its congregation was upper-middle class and left leaning. I found the contradiction in acceptance of al men and discusion of those who are not up to the standards of the organization and the blindness to the glareing ideological contradiction and lack of wisdom held by the adult members and pastors disgusting. I rejected the literal interpretation of the bible very quickly, but I still found value in the philosophy of a non divine jesus and the allegorical lessons in the old testament to a lesser extent. I still hold the non literal interpretation of the bible and the deeper, psychological and sociological implcations of jesus' philosophy to be of great value if considered properly and carefully. Just my take on it all.