Arjuna

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 01:21 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;174296 wrote:
I suppose some of these weak people could be hypnotized into believing that they are stronger and smarter than everyone else...so long as they buy a particular product, vote for a particular political party, believe this, don't believe that, etc. etc.

Effective brainwashing always begins by reducing the target to a weakened and vulnerable state.
One viewpoint is that people are always suggesting things to themselves. Our reality is shaped by these suggestions and then we reinforce that reality through our actions.

Have you noticed how a certain pain medication puts commercials on TV that are really good at evoking the image of a headache. It kind of makes my head hurt to watch it. :sarcastic:
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:03 pm
@Deckard,
Deckard;174296 wrote:
I suppose some of these weak people could be hypnotized into believing that they are stronger and smarter than everyone else...so long as they buy a particular product, vote for a particular political party, believe this, don't believe that, etc. etc.

Effective brainwashing always begins by reducing the target to a weakened and vulnerable state.
Very well, you have provoked a deeper thinking on the matter on my side. I tend to agree with you now to a certain degree, though I'm not entirely convinced.
Ding an Sich

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:24 pm
@HexHammer,
There was this one day, about two years ago, when I woke up and said, "I really need to rid myself of this stupidity on my persons." So I took a knife, cut it off, and felt immediately relieved. I distinctly remember that being the day I picked up John Locke as well, thus starting my trip down the rabbit hole of philosophy. Maybe the two have something in commmon. Just maybe... (contemplates)

Im actually going to school for secondary education in history, and I distinctly remember being taught to bring in a students experience and consider it when I do lessons, along with their prior knowledge of the subject. Also there is this thing out there ladies and gents, I don't know if you have heard of it, but its called "Critical Thinking". Yea, that's another thing us teachers and future teachers are supposed to employ. It's something I sure as hell will employ with my students. Would be nice if you wouldnt bash us. And if you do, do it gently. Pretty please? With sugar on top? Thank you.
0 Replies

fast

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:31 pm
@Theaetetus,
[QUOTE=Theaetetus;161910]Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are.[/QUOTE]Maybe we don't realize it because it's not true. Most humans aren't stupid. Most humans are intelligent.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 02:43 pm
@fast,
fast;174339 wrote:
Most humans aren't stupid. Most humans are intelligent.

I thought it was the other way around. Insofar as this discussion is concerned, when we say humans are mostly stupid, we're comparing humans to other humans, not comparing humans to other mammals. Of course most humans are intelligent in comparison to other mammals (although, as insinuated, some even fail here too).
HexHammer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:47 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;174346 wrote:
fast;174339 wrote:
Most humans aren't stupid. Most humans are intelligent.
I thought it was the other way around. Insofar as this discussion is concerned, when we say humans are mostly stupid, we're comparing humans to other humans, not comparing humans to other mammals. Of course most humans are intelligent in comparison to other mammals (although, as insinuated, some even fail here too).
Not quite, he is right per se, just that too few are very intelligent, and less are extremely intelligent.

Most people does indeed have an area of expertize, but also have an immense stupid area which often overshadow it's intelligent side.
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:53 pm
@Theaetetus,
Hex Hammer wrote:
Not quite, he is right per se, just that too few are very intelligent, and less are extremely intelligent.

I think you may mean he is not right per se. That would mean he is not exactly right, but there is some truth to the claim (as some say). It would be like me saying, "The movie isn't bad per se". Here I am saying that the movie isn't necessarily bad, but that there is something still wrong with the movie (Or, it being bad, doesn't adequately describe what is wrong with the movie).

Anyway, I disagree. I think most people are downright stupid. but I'm not basing this on anything substantial - just my experience.
Vheissu

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:55 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;174346 wrote:

To compare ourselves to lower intelligence is a rather useless practice. We should as a race, try to move forward and become more enlightened and educated. We could always cast out useless pretensions, but we will end up nowhere except where we are.
Zetherin

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 03:56 pm
@Vheissu,
Vheissu;174363 wrote:
To compare ourselves to lower intelligence is a rather useless practice. We should as a race, try to move forward and become more enlightened and educated. We could always cast out useless pretensions, but we will end up nowhere except where we are.

Oh, I agree (I think). That's why I am comparing humans to other humans.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 04:11 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;174360 wrote:
I think you may mean he is not right per se. That would mean he is not exactly right, but there is some truth to the claim (as some say). It would be like me saying, "The movie isn't bad per se". Here I am saying that the movie isn't necessarily bad, but that there is something still wrong with the movie (Or, it being bad, doesn't adequately describe what is wrong with the movie).

Anyway, I disagree. I think most people are downright stupid. but I'm not basing this on anything substantial - just my experience.
Nope, when the majority of his postulation Imo is right, then my former statemen holds true.

I'v seen many who's lingual skills suck plain balls, but their mind was brilliant, such would often have no chance to prove their worth to strangers, only over time given a chance to prove themselves, they would be regarded as intelligent.

Too often I see people hail idiots and retards and brilliant people because of immense rethorical skills.

With myself, I often can't tell what I'm doing in RTS games, as it is so incooporated and reflectory that I don't think about my actions, thus I have found training people, a great eye opener for me, as it would both train the n00b and myself when things got clearer what I did and what could be improved.
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:02 pm
@Dr Seuss,
Dr. Seuss;174276 wrote:
We are by nature 'maladaptive' since we come out the womb. We call ourselves homo-sapien-sapien we call ourselves wise wise. Yet we are the ones that our own thoughts causes us distress. It just serves to show what we really are. He who thinks knows everything knows nothing. The mask of nothing is knowledge. We can call ourselves wise but it doesnt mean we are. We will never know everything and if we think we know a lot in reality we know nothing. We make something out of nothing and when you remove the something you are left with nothing.

all opinion... Got any facts, examples???
Dr Seuss

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 09:24 pm
@Fido,
Fido;174473 wrote:
all opinion... Got any facts, examples???

All of this is one big example. You said it not me. "All opinions" which brings me back and reinforces my conception that there is no knowledge; at the end its just someone's construction. (Opinion) There is nothing more. The biggest truth is that there is no such thing.

:bigsmile:
0 Replies

Fido

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2010 10:24 pm
@Theaetetus,
What some one said about automobile motors might work for you: Parts left off don't cost money, and don't affect profits... So; why are parts put on that people as soon take off??? Do they know better than the companies that made the junk to begin with???

As long as I am talking of motors consider... There is truth in every motor, and in fact, they work on truth... Every motor as fact must be true to the design and the design must be true to the concept and the concept must be true to reality... And yes, that is physical reality, and it is truth...

The truth as a moral matter, as I said, occupies our time and our thoughts; but if there is no such moral form representing a certain moral condition, and we are not in some sense improved by talking about it, then why would we bother??? Consider that many of the things we talk about today we as humanity talked about since primitive times when we did not have such leisure, when to move people moved on foot, so that they were inclined to leave behind all they could not live without, and yet they carried on their talk of truth, and virtue, and justice, and every moral form... Why, unless there was some necessity for it???
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:16 am
@Theaetetus,
HexHammer wrote:
With myself, I often can't tell what I'm doing in RTS games, as it is so incooporated and reflectory that I don't think about my actions, thus I have found training people, a great eye opener for me, as it would both train the n00b and myself when things got clearer what I did and what could be improved.

Yes, well, I'm fairly sure I can beat you in Starcraft 2, and if you want to play me when it releases in July, just ask. My name will be Zetherin, and I will pwn you with terran.
HexHammer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 05:20 am
@Theaetetus,
I havn't played RTS games for the past 5 years, I'v grown old and slow. But mayhaps a game one day shouldn't be in the way. :flowers:
0 Replies

fast

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 07:44 am
@Theaetetus,
By design, fifty percent of all IQ scores range between 90 and 110. Clearly, most people are of average intelligence; however, seventy percent of all IQ scores range between 85 and 115, so although it's true that most people are of average intelligence, it's also true that most people are intelligent.

I would not regard a person with an IQ of 84 (or even an IQ of 71, for that matter) to be unintelligent (or not intelligent), and I certainly wouldn't consider a person with an IQ of 116 or greater to be unintelligent (or not intelligent).

Linky
Emil

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 09:01 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin;174610 wrote:
Yes, well, I'm fairly sure I can beat you in Starcraft 2, and if you want to play me when it releases in July, just ask. My name will be Zetherin, and I will pwn you with terran.

Works for me. I'll be playing it too. Smile
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 12:58 pm
@fast,
fast;174652 wrote:
By design, fifty percent of all IQ scores range between 90 and 110. Clearly, most people are of average intelligence; however, seventy percent of all IQ scores range between 85 and 115, so although it's true that most people are of average intelligence, it's also true that most people are intelligent.

I would not regard a person with an IQ of 84 (or even an IQ of 71, for that matter) to be unintelligent (or not intelligent), and I certainly wouldn't consider a person with an IQ of 116 or greater to be unintelligent (or not intelligent).

Linky

Yes, I suppose you are right. After all, that is how we use the word "intelligent" in one sense. However, that is not how I was using the word - I wasn't using it as a quantifiable measure. I think the things people think, do, and say are far more telling. What I am saying is that, I have known people with high IQs that I would still call stupid.

However, by the same token, I think stupidity is not a terminal illness, and, in some cases, can be cured. It is however contagious Smile
fast

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:39 pm
@Zetherin,
[QUOTE=Zetherin;174737]What I am saying is that, I have known people with high IQs that I would still call stupid. [/QUOTE]Maybe that's because we associate some of the things bright people do as things we would ordinarily expect from dimwitted people.

Either that or we're both wrong and even the people of average intelligence are still mighty stupid as a group. If democracy is the best form of government, then Lord help us.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2010 02:44 pm
@Theaetetus,
I think this link to Clever Fools RQ v IQ, is very relevant to this thread.

Sign in to read: Clever fools: Why a high IQ doesn't mean you're smart - life - 02 November 2009 - New Scientist
0 Replies