Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:37 pm
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,286 • Replies: 65
No top replies

 
TuringEquivalent
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:45 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161910 wrote:
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.



Let me summarize your point:

People are stupid, because people work for evil corporations.

Solution:
Perhaps people should work for non-profits.
Theaetetus
 
  0  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:52 pm
@TuringEquivalent,
TuringEquivalent;161915 wrote:
Let me summarize your point:

People are stupid, because people work for evil corporations.

Solution:
Perhaps people should work for non-profits.


Well, nice try but you missed the point. I would explain, but I don't feel like it.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 07:53 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161910 wrote:
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.


Now, let me see if I understand you. A biologist who (say) discovered a cure for cancer would be stupid because he was educated (and got a Ph.D. in biology)? If that is not what you are saying, then what is it you are saying? If anything. (I surmise that education and you are not getting along, and that you are expressing your hostility to education in general. It sounds like a personal matter).
Theaetetus
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:13 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;161918 wrote:
Now, let me see if I understand you. A biologist who (say) discovered a cure for cancer would be stupid because he was educated (and got a Ph.D. in biology)? If that is not what you are saying, then what is it you are saying? If anything. (I surmise that education and you are not getting along, and that you are expressing your hostility to education in general. It sounds like a personal matter).


Did you just want to stop by to show how wrong you are? First, this is written from a flawed perspective meant to start a discussion on why and how people are programmed to be stupid. Its not my perspective, but rather one that potentially exists. Second, my education has nothing to do with this. Why would it? And why the f$ck would it matter anyway? Third, that would be stupid to say that a biologist that discovered a cure for cancer would be stupid. This has nothing to do with biologists anyway. It is obvious what groups of people I was targeting so thanks for stopping by and spewing your irrelevancies. Have a nice day.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:38 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161923 wrote:
Did you just want to stop by to show how wrong you are? First, this is written from a flawed perspective meant to start a discussion on why and how people are programmed to be stupid. Its not my perspective, but rather one that potentially exists. Second, my education has nothing to do with this. Why would it? And why the f$ck would it matter anyway? Third, that would be stupid to say that a biologist that discovered a cure for cancer would be stupid. This has nothing to do with biologists anyway. It is obvious what groups of people I was targeting so thanks for stopping by and spewing your irrelevancies. Have a nice day.


Then what were you saying about education? Anything in particular? How was Jonas Salk (the discoverer of the Polio vaccine) programmed to be stupid? If, "that is what education has become--programmed stupidity." does not imply that Salk was programmed to be stupid, and therefore was stupid, then what the hell does it imply? Anything in particular? I suppose you were just emoting. Can we next expect a primal scream?
0 Replies
 
TuringEquivalent
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 08:42 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161917 wrote:
Well, nice try but you missed the point. I would explain, but I don't feel like it.


You know i am right. You just don` t want to look bad.
0 Replies
 
Reconstructo
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:23 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161910 wrote:
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.


I see your point. One can master the rules of a certain game and yet the game itself may be questionable.

I think it's a valid and difficult question, this issue of injustice. One can smile and smile, and be a villain still. One can have a nice swimming pool for the kiddies with money earned by depriving other kiddies of clean water.

How much blood has been spilled merely to open markets to a machine that dies when it is not expanding? And yet the alternative to this machine also has its faults. A difficult question. And most simply opt unthinkingly not to think on it. And, frankly, sometimes I too turn my attention to more solvable problems. Because, indeed, I feel too small politically, as one voter among millions, to make any difference. I feel like a gnat on the ass of history. But perhaps those who do things like invent television or the atomic bomb experience the conflict more intensely. In fact, I seem to remember that in both cases, the inventors or co-inventors were at least ambivalent. In theory, nuclear energy and television could light up the world with energy, freeing humans from drudgery and offering a powerful means for education. Instead, we have preventative invasions, and The "Real" World. We watch morons get drunk. We incinerate civilians. And all of it is made possible by the cooperation of people as politically small as I am. On the other hand, is revolution any more promising? The ruthless tend to float to the top somehow.....
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sat 8 May, 2010 09:36 pm
@Reconstructo,
Reconstructo;161945 wrote:
I see your point. One can master the rules of a certain game and yet the game itself may be questionable.

I think it's a valid and difficult question, this issue of injustice. One can smile and smile, and be a villain still. One can have a nice swimming pool for the kiddies with money earned by depriving other kiddies of clean water.

How much blood has been spilled merely to open markets to a machine that dies when it is not expanding? And yet the alternative to this machine also has its faults. A difficult question. And most simply opt unthinkingly not to think on it. And, frankly, sometimes I too turn my attention to more solvable problems. Because, indeed, I feel too small politically, as one voter among millions, to make any difference. I feel like a gnat on the ass of history. But perhaps those who do thinks like invent television or the atomic bomb experience the conflict more intensely. In fact, I seem to remember that in both cases, the inventors or co-inventors were at least ambivalent. In theory, nuclear energy and television could light up the world with energy, freeing humans from drudgery and offering a powerful means for education. Instead, we have preventative invasions, and The "Real" World. We watch morons get drunk. We incinerate civilians. And all of it is made possible by the cooperation of people as politically small as I am. On the other hand, is revolution any more promising? The ruthless tend to float to the top somehow.....


Hmm. The "game" of finding a cure for polio or for cancer is questionable. In what way? And how is science a "game" anyway? Games are trivial, and nothing much hangs on them. I suppose you are going to call any human activity which has procedures (that is, most of them) "games". That trivializes those activities, and makes them more susceptible to being questioned- unjustifiably. It is an insidious rhetorical device for diminishing the importance of what is, after all, the most useful of human activities. Scientific research. The question is, what is the motive for doing that? Well, envy could be one motive.

"All excellent things are as difficult as they are rare; else everyone could do them". Spinoza.
Jebediah
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:11 am
@kennethamy,
What measuring stick are you using exactly? It's very tricky to talk about stupidity and people leading programmed lives, without having a solid reference point or two. For example, if we talk about someone living a long life, we mean that they lived a ways beyond the average life expectancy (to 90 years old or so). But that skips a lot of questions, like "How long a life is long enough?".

I feel like you are skipping those questions Theaetetus. We have a much larger variety of options available to us now than ever before. You speak of people being passively programmed by television, eating up prepackaged ideas. I once read a convincing argument that the rise of television had led to just the opposite--that it showed people for the first time that their social identity was up to them. We have many more subcultures than before I think you'll agree. The media is created by people with that desire, it's not a machine exploiting people.
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:18 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162034 wrote:
. But that skips a lot of questions, like "How long a life is long enough?".




How would that question be relevant to whether a man of 90 lived a long life? "Long life" means longer than average. What has that to do with "long enough" whatever that means?
Jebediah
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:38 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162036 wrote:
How would that question be relevant to whether a man of 90 lived a long life? "Long life" means longer than average. What has that to do with "long enough" whatever that means?


It's not clear, like this thread isn't clear. That is what I was getting at. You could start a thread titled "People don't live long enough", and talk about average life expectancies. But the obvious question is, how long is long enough? That seems similar to starting a thread saying "people are stupid".
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:49 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162045 wrote:
That seems similar to starting a thread saying "people are stupid".


How is that? That they are both vague? Maybe "long enough" is (and anyway it involves value). But "has a long life" certainly is not. For reasons already given.
Jebediah
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 12:57 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy;162050 wrote:
But "has a long life" certainly is not. For reasons already given.


The statement is clear, but the reason for saying it and the topic to be discussed would be vague.
platorepublic
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:02 am
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161910 wrote:
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.

Why do you assume everybody's like that? Why do you care? What evidence do you have?

A few things:

- moderators use profanity?
- not everyone watches TV or similar media, not everyone owns a TV, maybe the States, and not all media is bad
- the school or "education" doesn't tell you everything that you do, jeez. People can't pave the path for you. You pave your own path - it's your own decision to not think for yourselves if you rely on "the education"
- "working for that corporation" - wth?

Lives are not one-dimensional. People are much much MUCH MUCH MUCH smarter than you think. (Or maybe because I study in Oxford.)
0 Replies
 
kennethamy
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 01:04 am
@Jebediah,
Jebediah;162052 wrote:
The statement is clear, but the reason for saying it and the topic to be discussed would be vague.


Which statement are we talking about now? Sure, the statement that there are Martians is clear. But the reasons for it may be unclear. They may even be non-existent. So what?
0 Replies
 
Theaetetus
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:03 pm
@Theaetetus,
Honestly, everyone is taking a piece of satire or parody even, way too far. Seriously, lighten up everyone. This piece was intentionally short-sighted and overly dramatic, but that was the point. The idea was to provide some fodder for discussion that was diametrically opposed to most people. Instead a bunch of ninnies got their panties in a bunch and began to defend specifics to gross generalities.

Seriously, other than Reconstructo, and possibly mister kitten, no one got it. Jebediah tried at least, but both ken and plato failed miserably.

Anyway, since everyone wants some sort of literal discussion, here is a little post that is a bit slanted towards the direction that I want to propose to be a fact:

The education system is generally set up in order to promote the ideas of the controlling powers of the society. Most teachers in the public education system are neutered in that they must teach to passing tests, rather than real learning. Thus, school is boring and more of something that a young student is forced to do, rather than something they would want to do even if they didn't have to. Thus, young students are forced to find deversions to occupy their attention, and all the while, they are bombarded with 'ideal' images that are pushed my mega corporations to media consumers. And through this process of turning these various ideal images into their realities, people become little stupid drone that are easily manipulated to devote large portions of their lives acquiring their 'dream' lives.

Anyway, here is a start to a more 'serious' discussion since no one got it the first time. I was a bit more obvious. I know there are exceptions so don't bother to tell me because I ALREADY KNOW. Remember, these are some generalities that a few select overachievers will not skew the general trend.

Grow up and quit whining about profanity. Sure, I am a moderator, but what is your point. I am not capable of swearing? I am not allowed? It was a stupid rule and it no longer is.
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:16 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;161910 wrote:
Most of us humans flutter through life not realizing how f$cking stupid we are. We always seem to be going some where, but if someone were to ask where we were going we wouldn't have a clue, and we would not even know why. We wouldn't know because life cannot be condensed down into brief twenty minute fragments littered with fun and laughs while the trouble never seems more complex that a bit of uncomfortableness. But life is not like that. We are stupid so it would be would be long, mundane, and dull filled with hours of staring at a television that is passively programming us into drones that pick and chose a life from prepackaged ideas sold through the media. And through that process, we all become stupid.

That is what education has become--programmed stupidity. Sure, we go to school, but that is either daycare or manipulation to become the architects, engineers, and manager of the programming machine. Sure, you may be educated, but you still followed along and played the game. You may be smart, but you still are stupid working for that corporation. The pay may be good, but is it worth all of that injustice that is all too easy to ignore.

Humans just became to smart for its own good that they were stupid. We know everything, but we do not know unintended consequences of our actions.

We may be stupid, but possums is stupidist... Why did the Chicken cross the road??? To show the possum it could be done... And then the possum tried and died...It is not about stupidity...Survival is not about ability, but probability... Throw enough bodies into the key hole and some will get through to the other side... Some Opossums make it too...
0 Replies
 
Theaetetus
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:25 pm
@Theaetetus,
But what happens when more possums make it across the road than chickens?
Fido
 
  1  
Reply Sun 9 May, 2010 10:34 pm
@Theaetetus,
Theaetetus;162295 wrote:
But what happens when more possums make it across the road than chickens?

It is not a real road, but a metaphorical road called survival, with the meaning of procreation... Like the old Joke: Once there were these two Chinese; and now look at how many there are...

Part of the reason there are so many stupid people is that the intelligent ones figure out how to make money rather than babies...They leave the fun part to others and wonder why they are unhappy... Well da... No one is happy, but the ones with the kids are too busy to care...
 

Related Topics

How can we be sure? - Discussion by Raishu-tensho
DOES NOTHING EXIST??? - Question by mark noble
Proof of nonexistence of free will - Discussion by litewave
morals and ethics, how are they different? - Question by existential potential
Destroy My Belief System, Please! - Discussion by Thomas
Star Wars in Philosophy. - Discussion by Logicus
Existence of Everything. - Discussion by Logicus
Is it better to be feared or loved? - Discussion by Black King
 
  1. Forums
  2. » People are Stupid.
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 04/18/2019 at 04:22:01