How do you Convince Somebody against Absurdities

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
Ok, I have a relative who all of a sudden was convinced that his family (including me) were all aliens impersonating human beings and are a threat to him.

Being an alien in his mind myself, how do I convince him that I myself am not an alien? If this is an impossibility, is it enough to be a benevolent alien?

[Moderator edit: thread moved to more appropriate forum. jgw]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 805 • Replies: 10
No top replies

validity

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:24 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Are you an alien?

I say it would depend on the manner in which your friend was lead to be convinced ie drug use, neurological illness etc If your relative is convinced, I would generally seek advice from a professional in an appropriate course of action. Initially it may be benefical to do this without your relative being present. Good luck.
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 02:56 pm
@validity,
It's not drug related, its neuro illness. But does somebody see the conundrum t the situation.
0 Replies

Rose phil

Reply Sun 2 Nov, 2008 05:06 pm
@Holiday20310401,
I don't know about conundrums but I think you need to be careful that he doesn't decide to rid the world of aliens. Get him some professional help.
0 Replies

OctoberMist

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2008 09:12 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401 said:

Quote:

I have a relative who all of a sudden was convinced that his family (including me) were all aliens impersonating human beings and are a threat to him.

At first glance, this sounds like a form of paranoid schitzophrenia. It could also be a form of Alzeheimers if the person is a senior.

Fortunately, there is both medication and counseling which can overcome this. As others have said, professional help is definitely your best option.

Good luck to you in this.
MITech

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2008 08:01 pm
@OctoberMist,
Try psychotherapy on the person.
0 Replies

BlueChicken

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 10:08 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Having never encountered this I am treading on thin ice, but here it goes anyways:

Ask him why he believes that his family is aliens. He can't simply assume this, there has to be some reason (however far-fetched) for his belief. Push him on it, there is no reason why he can't offer this up to you. If he does then I would think there would be obvious ways to illutstrate how this is not the case. If not, I think that the other posters are correct and find them some medical attention.

Unless everyone but he is an alien, which would make sense because barn cats do tend to appear out of nowhere.
0 Replies

nameless

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:30 am
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;30910 wrote:
Ok, I have a relative who all of a sudden was convinced that his family (including me) were all aliens impersonating human beings and are a threat to him.

This person is a unique Perspective, like us all. 'Reality' is, for him, as he sees it. Just like for us.
Perhaps, respecting that he is not 'nuts' or 'broken', or 'mentally ill' just because his perceptions are not the same as your's. We are all unique Perspectives, some, apparently, more 'unique' than others (humor).

Quote:
Being an alien in his mind myself, how do I convince him that I myself am not an alien?

What's with the need to 'convince' him of anything? Convince him that there's something 'wrong' with him because he doesn't share 'your' Perspective? Perhaps there's something 'wrong' with you for not perceiving that you are 'alien', to one extent or another? Perhaps no one's 'wrong'?
You perceive yourself as familiar, non-alien. You perceive your relative as not 'as' familiar, 'alien', to one extent or another. He perceives himself familiarly enough to identify with that self image (as do you) and to consider you as 'other', alien, to one degree or another.

Quote:
If this is an impossibility, is it enough to be a benevolent alien?

Perhaps that 'respectful and non-judgemental understanding' with a dose of compassion can allow you to live and interact with each other?
There's lots of room for metaphoric interpretations as well.

You, of course, offer extremely limited information such as can he care for himself in day to day life? Etc..
But your question revolves around the 'ethics'(?) of your attempting to 'convince him' of something. From the information given, it appears that you have nothing that he needs to be convinced of.

Now, on to your 'need' to 'convince' him of anything... (strictly rhetorical, please! *__- )
Holiday20310401

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:23 pm
@nameless,
nameless wrote:
This person is a unique Perspective, like us all. 'Reality' is, for him, as he sees it. Just like for us.
Perhaps, respecting that he is not 'nuts' or 'broken', or 'mentally ill' just because his perceptions are not the same as your's. We are all unique Perspectives, some, apparently, more 'unique' than others (humor).

I understand what reality means here Nameless.

nameless wrote:
What's with the need to 'convince' him of anything? Convince him that there's something 'wrong' with him because he doesn't share 'your' Perspective?

There is nothing wrong about him. And I feel there is a need because its hard for him to have a family when everyone is alien to him.

What I've been trying to get at with the insanity thread at the starting premise (which due to lack of response I assume nobody has even understood, probably my fault again?:irritated:) is that one is no more "colloquially" insane than another person if the two people conform to their reality. And then I was hoping in my morals, justice, and metaphyiscal norms thread to address the problem of the justice system and the pathetic situation of prisons, but it has turned into a pathetic ordeal which hasn't even glimpsed at what questions I was trying to raise in the first place.

But obviously there is a problem. The family is not a family. Threats are treated accordingly... etc.

nameless wrote:
Perhaps there's something 'wrong' with you for not perceiving that you are 'alien', to one extent or another? Perhaps no one's 'wrong'?

Ofcourse nobody is wrong, when we know that reality is right. And then everybody is right, but ofcourse... nobody is justified so we have a problem. Which reality is appropriate to conform to? What are you speaking of exactly? Is there not a wrong side to logic/moral subjectives, that needs to be fixed for virtue and justified actions?

nameless wrote:
You perceive yourself as familiar, non-alien. You perceive your relative as not 'as' familiar, 'alien', to one extent or another. He perceives himself familiarly enough to identify with that self image (as do you) and to consider you as 'other', alien, to one degree or another.

That all depends on why the alien conceptions would be devised in the first place. Sure infamiliarity, but everybody has similarities and differences. It all depends on the thoughts that conceptualize the differences to harness the alienation to what extreme. I guess I should've mentioned he does have aliens in his head too. He can listen to the aliens in his head but not his family. And yet he considers the aliens in his head to be aliens... why?
Because it is a conundrumous situation. Its like God... hard with the logic conceived in the mind in the stage of one's life to have other than the inevitability of its intrinsic inability to be proved or disproved; keeping the conceptualization indisputable.

If the logic is always trumped then how do we live peacefully?:listening:

Its all about thinking positively. If everyone considered everyone else to be aliens and unfamiliar then how are we going to instinctively react? I think a part of how humans think is that there is no true good for them. There is only good in the sense of fulfilling their own egoistic virtue. What is good to many people would rather be the similarities that can be distinguished rather than the differences that are reprised due to the lack of good.

What we look to as good in a person is a egoistic ideal, not some objective frame of mind we just instinctively reflect upon knowlingly/or subconsciously. But now... would you like to criticise my thoughts some more.:a-ok:
nameless

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:51 pm
@Holiday20310401,
Holiday20310401;35164 wrote:

Ofcourse nobody is wrong, when we know that reality is right. And then everybody is right, but ofcourse... nobody is justified so we have a problem.

Existence is it's own 'justification'. Existence needs no 'justification'.
No 'problem'. (unless you perceive one...)

Quote:
Which reality is appropriate to conform to?

We are the reality that we perceive. There is no 'willfull' 'conformance'.

Quote:
What are you speaking of exactly? Is there not a wrong side to logic/moral subjectives, that needs to be fixed for virtue and justified actions?

No. There exists 'wrong' only to the Perspective perceiving that 'wrong' (morality). Nothing needs to be, nor can be, 'fixed'. Nothing is 'broken' (except by ego/thought of the individual Perspective) and nothing can be 'done' to change/alter one moment of existence.

Quote:
If the logic is always trumped then how do we live peacefully?

Not inderstood. What has 'logic' to do with anything, and what is 'trumping' this logic, and why is it relevent?

Quote:
Its all about thinking positively. If everyone considered everyone else to be aliens and unfamiliar then how are we going to instinctively react?

"Hi, I'm nameless. Like a hit off of this? C'mon over here under this tree and we can talk of this and that."
If 'language' is a problem, there are other means of communication. Respect is easily translatable in all languages.
Are you implying that all 'react' (rather than 'act'), and do so 'instinctively'? Like a dog? Pee on his foot? Really? Is that how you would greet a Chinaman with no verbal language in common, having 'alien' customs and rituals, a different 'world-view'? Do you have instincts governing this?

Quote:
I think a part of how humans think is that there is no true good for them. There is only good in the sense of fulfilling their own egoistic virtue. What is good to many people would rather be the similarities that can be distinguished rather than the differences that are reprised due to the lack of good.

Sorry, I do not see existence in terms of 'good' and 'evil', and cannot thus respond.

Quote:
What we look to as good in a person

No 'we', as I said, I do not.

Quote:
But now... would you like to criticise my thoughts some more.

No, I'm done.

Happy trails...
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 24 Nov, 2008 03:33 pm
@nameless,
Maybe you should begin by showing him that you are not a threat?
0 Replies