End the Occupation, Now!!!!

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:30 pm
Quote:
*The President must go to the UN and announce the US intention to hand over all administrative and security responsibilities to the UN. The UN would help Iraqis move quickly toward self-determination.

*The UN, not the US, will administer Iraq’s oil revenues. It will be necessary to renounce clearly and unequivocally any interest in controlling Iraq’s oil resources.

*The UN will administer contracts to repair Iraq. War profiteering will no longer be practiced by the White House. It will be necessary to suspend all reconstruction contracts and close the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority, because of the suspicion caused by the sweetheart deals that the Administration has given to large American corporations. In its place, the UN would help Iraqis administer funds to employ Iraqis to repair the damage from the invasion.

*Bring US troops home as UN peacekeeping troops rotate into Iraq: The goal is to bring all US troops home by the new year, but in any case, to bring them home as quickly and as safely as possible with a planned and orderly withdrawal.

Dennis J. Kucinich
Member of Congress

Full Plan:

http://www.house.gov/kucinich/info/iraq_update.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 826 • Replies: 10
No top replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:58 pm
Dennis J. Kucinich is a fool. I don't knpw what he is smoking but it does not seem to have enhanced his ability to think,reason or understand the world around him.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:04 pm
Out of Iraq Before the Election
Quote:
Out of Iraq Before the Election

by Andrew Greeley

Sometime after the New Year, Karl Rove, the president's political guru, will whisper the truth in the great man's ear: We won't win the election unless we are out of Iraq. We have to be out of there by Labor Day or we'll be accused of running out on our allies to win the election. If we do it during the summer, or even better at the end of spring, we can declare it a victory.

http://www.commondreams.org/views03/1107-10.htm

* This seems real plausible. It will snatch the rug out from under the Dems. Only snag would be some sort of major attack in Iraq or the US in the next few months.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:55 pm
What make Kucinich, or for that matter Greely or Pistoff, think the UN is going to voluntarily clean up a mess that the US willfully made? It is more likely that they are simply going to watch us stew in the juices of our own home made tragedy. The idea that the rest of the world is going to allow the US to dump its responsiblities and unload it's mistakes on them is both simplistic and arrogant.

Pistoff reminds me of bunnypants over on Abuzz.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:13 pm
Clarification
Because I posted some viewpoints of others does not necessarily mean that I agree with those or endorse them. I don't believe that even if the UN agreed to take over that the Iraqies would accept that take over any more than the one they have now.

The USA/UK got into a kill box. I believe that they will come to a point that they will say that Iraq is able to handle it's own security and exit, except for the Mulit-Nationals that have taken over industry in Iraq. When a civil war takes place, excuses will be made for it. I strongly suspect, although I could of course be incorrect that Iraq will split into three seperate areas, if not countries.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:52 pm
Kucinich's is a moral voice. For that I'm grateful. We could use more like him.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 12:02 am
Kucinich
He was one of the few that didn't sign off on a blank check for invasion. He has been consistant and courageous.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 01:58 am
I wonder if the US will ever be successful in imposing capitalistic democracy onto Iraq.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 03:13 am
Capitalism/Democracy
Completely different systems.

I believe that capitalism will be the model but it will probably be a Muslim Theocratic Capitalism in three seperate areas of Iraq, perhaps even three seperate countries. The North, the middle and the south. There will be Multi-corps operating in all three places.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:32 am
Acquiunk wrote:
What make Kucinich, or for that matter Greely or Pistoff, think the UN is going to voluntarily clean up a mess that the US willfully made? It is more likely that they are simply going to watch us stew in the juices of our own home made tragedy. The idea that the rest of the world is going to allow the US to dump its responsiblities and unload it's mistakes on them is both simplistic and arrogant.

Pistoff reminds me of bunnypants over on Abuzz.

You've got that right. For better or worse, the US IS stuck with the Iraqi situation. The US has effectively created a no-win situation for itself. Stay too long and it will be accused of simply taking over a mineral rich nation for it's own purposes. Leave too soon and it will be accused of a pointless act of mass murder. Personally, I think the US has done both. And I'm so ashamed that Australia was it's number 2 accomplice.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 8 Nov, 2003 07:53 am
In spite the differences here, Wilson, Aquiunk and Pistoff have each got me nodding in agreement. In the US economy discussion I posted a William Greider article link from The Nation about a Georgetown law professor who notes US infractions of the Geneva convention which will very possibly lead to major private and public lawsuits against the US from Iraq and elsewhere. Not a good prospect for a country with a huge deficit.
0 Replies