I'm a uniter, not a divider. -GWB

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:01 am
GWB said something like "I'm a uniter, not a divider." shortly after Gore lost the election.

Polls indicate that the country is still pretty evenly split, but more polarized.

What went wrong?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 816 • Replies: 8
No top replies

the prince

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:03 am
Re: I'm a uniter, not a divider. -GWB
SealPoet wrote:

What went wrong?

The court judgement in Florida
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:06 am
This was after the Supreme Court stepped in. I was lead to believe that we had a leader who was committed to rule as though he has no mandate...
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:11 am
Uniting and deviding
Shrubby is uniting a whole lot of people. He is uniting them to vote against the Fascism of the right wing. He is also deviding the spoils of war with his contributors. So, He is doing both.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 08:34 am
What went wrong?

A small group of folks were brave enough to speak up and point out that the emperor was bare-assed nekked, inspite of the consequences to their careers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 06:23 pm
If he's a "uniter," I'd sure hate to see what he does as a "divider."
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 07:06 pm
I don't know about him but I am a choo choo train.
OH Oh got to run here come those guys in the white coats.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 09:21 pm
GWB did a good job of portraying himself as a moderate during the election. He claimed to be interested, as you noted, in bringing people together, in working with "both sides of the aisle".

What went wrong ?

He sold out. He in-your-face sold out to the radical right.

He appointed Ashcroft, immediately dividing moderates from pro-Ashcroft extremists.
He took the extremist religious right stand on stem-cell research, faith-based charities, and anti-human, anti-civil rights for gay Americans.
He allowed Cheney and his cohorts to unilaterally implement their pre-planned radical military agenda in Iraq, creating a divide between pro and anti war factions, and then accused those who opposed the war of being un-American.
By taking the arrogant, with-or-without-you stance re the war and essentially thumbing his nose at diplomacy, he has divided America from its long-standing allies.
His tax cuts have been good only for the wealthy, exacerbating our country's already widening class divide.
He continues to pander to the far right by nominating people to the appellate courts whose views are radically extremist.

Hmmmm.

Uniter?

I don't think so.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 Nov, 2003 10:02 pm
angie, I'll fill in some of the other stuff that united this country. Anti-abortion bill, the environment, the Patriot Act, the "insignificant UN," taking away our veteran's benefits, and his mandate for "leave no child behind" without the funding.
0 Replies