Civil Disobedience

Quatl

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 03:18 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I think we may have some obligation to justice (what ever that means) but I don't see any particular support for respect for law without evaluation.

It's easy enough for any of us to look over the various laws throughout history and fine some we think are unjust (we likely disagree as to which ones to one degree or another.) So I think we can easily agree that at least some law is unjust (thus immoral at least to the degree that we embrace justice as a moral good.) Non contradiction would indicate that if a law is immoral then obedience to the law is also immoral.

We may also choose to respect a particular law or set there of for other reasons than moral obligation, and many (most?) of us do so all the time. There are many laws that I obey only because my cost benefit analysis ends up assigning higher value to the results of compliance, than to the benefits of disobedience in these cases.

There are limits though. There are laws that have existed that would invalidate the government entirely in my view and I'd be forced by my moral emotions to either expatriate or revolt. All such laws of which I can conceive involve extreme violations of justice.

There is good pragmatic support for a principle of "apply only the least, effective force." Whereby one only responds with the minimum nessasary violence in defence of oneself. This can prevent unnecessary escalation in most cases. Some forms of civil dissobediance may quilify as an example, as would politics more generally.

I think that for me at least ,any "obligation to law" felt by me is not from the law at all, but is rather a result of either my respect for justice or an appeal to pragmatism.
Doobah47

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 04:59 pm
@WorBlux,
WorBlux wrote:

We also know that property rights exist and are empirically valid, because systems completely denying them have failed before being fully implemented.

That might be correct, although I have two questions:
1. How can you have determined that this current capitalist system has not failed?
2. At which point does the determining of theft as detrimental require a moral decision?

I'd like to draw your attention to this definition of 'ethical':
Quote:
(of drugs) sold only upon medical prescription.

This is not strictly a moral version of ethics, it is a definition based on the medical safety and most medically trusted action - now that isn't morality. The doctors in question are not trying to prevent 'bad' or cause 'good', they are trying to cure illness and prolong life, nobody has to say that illness is 'bad' or that health is 'good', they are what they are, look up their definitions, and refrain from the frankly annoying use of morality in trying to determine whether some action should be legal or not, for inevitably extreme generalizations are made - in fact 'good' and 'bad' are extreme generalizations in any case, and perhaps one might be right in saying that laws and secular society should never be extreme in its process of ascertaining laws, at least for the benefit of those who accidentally commit crime - if we were extreme then there would be no such crime as manslaughter or negligence, one either murdered intentionally or not in an extreme legal system.

Laws would be better made with regards to empiricism, and perhaps made experimentally rather than founded in religious doctrine that does not account for financial equality (corporate 'crimes'), beneficial crime (Robin Hood) or detrimental law-abiding (nicotine addiction as opposed to moderate cannabis use).
WorBlux

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Let's use your example, then. What if the thief steals from someone who has accumulated his wealth with unethical business practices? And then, what if our thief is a Robin Hood sort of fellow, and instead of asserting ownership over what he steals, he gives what he steals to the needy?

Let me first address Robin Hood, what he actually did compared to what most claim he did.

Robin hood took money by force from the tax collectors and their beneficiaries and returned the money to the people from who it had been originally taken. Ownership entails the right to defend property with force if necessary, and likewise to use force in recovery of stolen goods. Such rights can be delegated to other people. By returning money to those who were the original owners, taking only a large enough cut to stay in operation, Robin Hood was acting morally.

If Robin Hood had merely robbed from the rich to provide for the poor, then such an act would have been immoral.

As for the business with unethical practices, only money gained by force or fraud could be taken by force, and only for the purpose of returning it to it's owners. To use or dispose of it in any other way would be immoral and create a liability to the owners of the property.

Ownership includes the ability to give something away, so even stealing to give to the poor would necessitate the thief to claim ownership over the stolen property. (You can't give away something you don't claim ownership to)

Didymos Thomas wrote:

That's a difficult argument to make. What of those systems which have thrived which do not recognize property rights? Feudalism did not fail before being implemented, instead it thrived all over the world for centuries.

Feudal lords did recognize property rights to a small degree (and to a great degree among themselves), but it is clear that humans lifted themselves out of poverty once they gained more universal recognition of their property rights and the emergence of a middle class.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:49 pm
@WorBlux,
Quote:
Let me first address Robin Hood, what he actually did compared to what most claim he did.

Robin hood took money by force from the tax collectors and their beneficiaries and returned the money to the people from who it had been originally taken. Ownership entails the right to defend property with force if necessary, and likewise to use force in recovery of stolen goods. Such rights can be delegated to other people. By returning money to those who were the original owners, taking only a large enough cut to stay in operation, Robin Hood was acting morally.

If Robin Hood had merely robbed from the rich to provide for the poor, then such an act would have been immoral.

First, no one delegated such right to the Robin Hood. Even then, I think you missed the point. Robin Hood robbed from the rich, and gave to the poor because the poor had been exploited by the rich. Thus, he was justified in recovering the property of the exploited.

Therefore, there are cases of blatant theft, punishable by law, which are, none the less, justifiable.

Quote:
Ownership includes the ability to give something away, so even stealing to give to the poor would necessitate the thief to claim ownership over the stolen property. (You can't give away something you don't claim ownership to)

I think this boils down to convenient language. If we look at our example, the stolen money was not so much given away to anyone, but to people we assume to be victims, the rightful owners. Sure, the theif must possess the property, but not necessarily assume ownership.

Quote:
Feudal lords did recognize property rights to a small degree (and to a great degree among themselves), but it is clear that humans lifted themselves out of poverty once they gained more universal recognition of their property rights and the emergence of a middle class.

Feudalism lasted far longer than modern capitalism has, and anything resembling property rights under feudalism have absolutely no relation to the property rights of modern liberal thought. If you are going to discount the successes of all past systems because at some point they failed, you are allowing yourself to be biased by the fact that liberal democracy is modern.
WorBlux

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 11:35 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
That might be correct, although I have two questions:
1. How can you have determined that this current capitalist system has not failed?
2. At which point does the determining of theft as detrimental require a moral decision?

I'd like to draw your attention to this definition of 'ethical':

1. This current system is nowhere near pure capitalist, and even the most communistic governments there was a person who had the ability to exercise property rights over the means of production. Under a capitalist system there could be some sort of disaster, but certainly human life and happiness are possible under it. How long do you think a society where individuals could not even be sure of their ownership of the bread in their hand, could possibly survive. how long do you think farmers could raise wheat by needing to steal a tractor every time they wanted to plant, and a combine every time they wanted to harvest, how long would the combine run when no person could be sure if weather the maintainence applied to it would benefit them.

Even the most communistic writer admits that limited personal property rights, and property rights exercised by a selected council over communal property would be necessary for human survival.

2. It is when we determine ownership of property is a necessary condition of humans, than we can pass moral judgment on theft.
Doobah47 wrote:

This is not strictly a moral version of ethics, it is a definition based on the medical safety and most medically trusted action - now that isn't morality. The doctors in question are not trying to prevent 'bad' or cause 'good', they are trying to cure illness and prolong life, nobody has to say that illness is 'bad' or that health is 'good', they are what they are, look up their definitions,

Illness is the failure of an organism to act at 100% of the genetic potential of a specific organism or species. Health is how closely a organism is at carrying out the full genetic capacity of itself or it's species.

Biochemical reactions and medicine are far removed from the realm of conscious choices.

Also, what grounds could a doctor have for making a patient take a medicine that he did not want to do, unless in fact he considered health "good"
Doobah47 wrote:

and refrain from the frankly annoying use of morality in trying to determine whether some action should be legal or not, for inevitably extreme generalizations are made - in fact 'good' and 'bad' are extreme generalizations in any case, and perhaps one might be right in saying that laws and secular society should never be extreme in its process of ascertaining laws,

"should never...." Isn't that an extreme generalization? (you propose as an absolute for secular society, that secular society should not base laws on absolute principles) Since it is not possible to simultaneously use and not use absolute principles, one could never be right in saying such a thing.
Doobah47 wrote:

at least for the benefit of those who accidentally commit crime - if we were extreme then there would be no such crime as manslaughter or negligence, one either murdered intentionally or not in an extreme legal system.

Nowhere have I proposed a system of criminal law, only one of common law. If an act is immoral, then the person injured can bring forth a case to secure restitution. Certainly the amount of intention or negligence present in an action would affect the result.

If there is no complaint, then there is no case.
Doobah47 wrote:

Laws would be better made with regards to empiricism, and perhaps made experimentally rather than founded in religious doctrine that does not account for financial equality (corporate 'crimes'), beneficial crime (Robin Hood) or detrimental law-abiding (nicotine addiction as opposed to moderate cannabis use).

Perhaps so, but my principles are not religious in nature.

The problem with experimentally based law, is how can experiments be justified? A system that purposely subjects a person to a bad system to test the effectiveness of several systems, certainly can be logically known to be more detrimental than having a single good system. (I suggest a system based on natural and moral law without compromise of it's principles.) There is also the problem of all experimental data containing error and not being of immediate timeliness, and of people having continually changing behaviors and desires that may change the outcome of any system.
WorBlux

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 01:14 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
First, no one delegated such right to the Robin Hood.

He made the assumption that the serfs would rather delegate such rights to him, then take the risk of recovering the money on themselves.

Just like you might assume a choking man would rather you violently squeeze his abdomen than allow him to continue choking.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Even then, I think you missed the point. Robin Hood robbed from the rich,

Read tax collectors, and the nobles who ordered the taxes collected (taxes R.H. believed to be unjustified.)
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Read: and gave to the poor because the poor had been exploited by the rich.

Read: And distributed the money to those whom it was stolen (taken unjustly) from
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Thus, he was justified in recovering the property of the exploited.

Read: Thus such action was moral.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Therefore, there are cases of blatant theft, punishable by law, which are, none the less, justifiable.

Justifiable because it is in agreement with natural moral law.

Proscribed law has nothing to do with morality.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

I think this boils down to convenient language. If we look at our example, the stolen money was not so much given away to anyone, but to people we assume to be victims, the rightful owners. Sure, the thief must possess the property, but not necessarily assume ownership.

The alleged thief must assume ownership only if he does not return the property to the rightful owner.

If I borrow you're computer with permission, it is in my possession. In order to give it away I must assume ownership (steal) it. If I walk up to a stranger, and say "take this it's yours now" i must also take up the reasoning "It's your's because it was mine and I want you to have it." In order to give something away I must pretend to have the right to give it away *ownership". The only way to avoid this is to walk back up to you when I'm done using the computer and say "Take this it's your's" and add "It's your because are the rightful owner, and that this was never rightfully mine to begin with"
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Feudalism lasted far longer than modern capitalism has, and anything resembling property rights under feudalism have absolutely no relation to the property rights of modern liberal thought. If you are going to discount the successes of all past systems because at some point they failed, you are allowing yourself to be biased by the fact that liberal democracy is modern.

If feudalism was equal to or better than modern system, does it not stand to reason that we would be much more reliant on feudal inventions for our quality of life, then on modern inventions? Quite obviously Feudalism is a clearly deficient method to organize a society.

And I don't really give a rat's behind about liberal democracy, because truth cannot be determined by a consensus of the majority. i do believe that such a system will fail, but it is specifically the fact of weather or not the ownership of property is a necessary characteristic of man that determines the morality of theft.

It is not possible that a society based on the complete denial of property rights could succeed even for a generation.

And denying some people property rights and affirming property rights of some others cannot be moral, since when applied to all people, is not consistent or empirically supported. (There is no major biological or intrinsic difference between the two classes of people such a system attempts to create)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 10:26 am
@WorBlux,
Quote:
He made the assumption that the serfs would rather delegate such rights to him, then take the risk of recovering the money on themselves.

Just like you might assume a choking man would rather you violently squeeze his abdomen than allow him to continue choking.

You want to quote some text to show that he assumed anyone would delegate any right to him? I do not think so. Just like your choking man, there is no need to even consider rights. There is simply the right thing to do. Robin Hood, a character in a feudal society, would not have any concept of individual rights. Much less would he assume that such a right, of which he has no concept, was delegated to him.

Quote:
Read tax collectors, and the nobles who ordered the taxes collected (taxes R.H. believed to be unjustified.)
ead: And distributed the money to those whom it was stolen (taken unjustly) from
Read: Thus such action was moral.

So we have a case in which theft is justified. Therefore, theft is not always immoral. Theft can, depending upon circumstances, be moral.

Quote:
Justifiable because it is in agreement with natural moral law.

Proscribed law has nothing to do with morality.

If the prescribed law is in agreement with natural moral law, and therefore justified, obviously prescribed law has something to do with morality.

Quote:
The alleged thief must assume ownership only if he does not return the property to the rightful owner.

Right, meaning Robin Hood, or any similar thief, does not assume ownership when he steals, nor does he assume ownership when returning property to the serfs.

Quote:
If feudalism was equal to or better than modern system, does it not stand to reason that we would be much more reliant on feudal inventions for our quality of life, then on modern inventions? Quite obviously Feudalism is a clearly deficient method to organize a society.

No, I do not think so. Again, this seems to be a bias of modernity more than anything else. Of course technology is more advanced today than it was 1000 years ago, but I do not see how technological advancement points to a more successful form of government.

Quote:
It is not possible that a society based on the complete denial of property rights could succeed even for a generation

Cuba, if you like a modern example. For a generation, even with a US embargo, the island nation has managed to handle it's own affairs. You may object, but consider this, despite the many faults of the Cuban regime (I'm no friend of that government), for 50 years the Cubans have been without war. The western liberal democracies have been bogged down in constant war for 50 years.

Cuba aside, it is naive to say that without property rights, a society cannot stand a generation. Obviously, this is false. Again, feudalism in medieval Europe, and in China, all without property rights, lasting for centuries.

Quote:
And denying some people property rights and affirming property rights of some others cannot be moral, since when applied to all people, is not consistent or empirically supported. (There is no major biological or intrinsic difference between the two classes of people such a system attempts to create)

What property rights? You said that "property rights exist and are empirically valid, because systems completely denying them have failed before being fully implemented". However, systems completely denying property rights have also succeeded for centuries.

Now let me ask you this - today we supposedly have property rights; however, few people own property (land). Property rights seem to be the gift of a few with money; surely this is not consistent, and as you point out, there is no biological or intrinsic difference between the classes. So why do some have property rights, and others left out?
WorBlux

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2008 06:51 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
You want to quote some text to show that he assumed anyone would delegate any right to him? I do not think so. Just like your choking man, there is no need to even consider rights. There is simply the right thing to do. Robin Hood, a character in a feudal society, would not have any concept of individual rights. Much less would he assume that such a right, of which he has no concept, was delegated to him.

You would certainly be bewildered, if the chocking man did not thank you after saving his life, correct?

There are many different versions of the tale, and the thanks of the poor could have been enough to validate his assumption of tax collectors and nobles dependent on them were unjustly taxing the poor, (sometimes on the principle of tax alone, sometimes on the principle of the tax not being authorized by king Richard)

Furthermore, common law was codified in 1154 that relied on local previous custom. Property was understood to exist in a pre-enlightenment age, albeit in a cruder form. Like gravity was understood to exist before Galileo studied it, but in a less accurate manner.

also in some of the stories, Robin hood was himself an ex-noble, and is such case would be educated and familiar with basic concepts of property.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

So we have a case in which theft is justified. Therefore, theft is not always immoral. Theft can, depending upon circumstances, be moral.

If you mean.. Theft as in taking something without permission from someone else's possession,then yes. Theft as in taking property from it's rightful owner without consent, then no.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

If the prescribed law is in agreement with natural moral law, and therefore justified, obviously prescribed law has something to do with morality.

Merely coincidental. The full form of the proscribed law states, it is wrong to steal unless you are the king or have a bigger army than the king does.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Right, meaning Robin Hood, or any similar thief, does not assume ownership when he steals, nor does he assume ownership when returning property to the serfs.

yes, exactly, and this avoids the contradiction that causes theft to not be a moral principle
Didymos Thomas wrote:

No, I do not think so. Again, this seems to be a bias of modernity more than anything else. Of course technology is more advanced today than it was 1000 years ago, but I do not see how technological advancement points to a more successful form of government.

1000 years ago the rate of technological development was almost flat and at zero. Today technology is increasing at an increasing rate, leading to a doubling of the average lifespan in Europe. If that's not a form of success, what is?
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Cuba, if you like a modern example. For a generation, even with a US embargo, the island nation has managed to handle it's own affairs. You may object, but consider this, despite the many faults of the Cuban regime (I'm no friend of that government), for 50 years the Cubans have been without war. The western liberal democracies have been bogged down in constant war for 50 years.

Cuba aside, it is naive to say that without property rights, a society cannot stand a generation. Obviously, this is false. Again, feudalism in medieval Europe, and in China, all without property rights, lasting for centuries.

Fuedalism/ communisim are based on the denial and forcefully reallocation of some property rights (all governments are) but is not based on complete denial of all property rights.

Property rights being a man's claim to the right of use of a particular thing to satisfy his values. Property being such things that a man claims.

In the case of Cuba, Castro did not deny all property rights, he denied the rights from persons withing the country and re-directed such claims on capital goods to himself by the use of systematized violence.

And even then people of Cuba are allowed forms of personal property as a motivation to work.
Didymos Thomas wrote:

What property rights? You said that "property rights exist and are empirically valid, because systems completely denying them have failed before being fully implemented". However, systems completely denying property rights have also succeeded for centuries.

Now let me ask you this - today we supposedly have property rights; however, few people own property (land). Property rights seem to be the gift of a few with money; surely this is not consistent, and as you point out, there is no biological or intrinsic difference between the classes. So why do some have property rights, and others left out?

The theory of property rights states that a man can claim things as property though contract or first use, and then can morally use such things in accordance to his values, and that such a claim if made would be moral. It does not state that such a claim must be made in order for a man to be moral, and it does not state that a person must defend these claims, only that if they choose to defend such claims it would be moral.
WorBlux

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:40 am
@WorBlux,
Back to the original topic of civil disobedience.

Quote:
If...the machine of government...is of such a nature that it requires you to be the agent of injustice to another, then, I say, break the law.
Henry David Thoreau

That is whenever following the law would cause you to break natural moral law, then it it is justified to break such a law.

As an example... if the law requires you to march off to unjust war, do not take one step.
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 11:48 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:

That is whenever following the law would cause you to break natural moral law, then it it is justified to break such a law.

What if the law and the moral law are one in the same, like in Social Contract Theory?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 11 Apr, 2008 04:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Furthermore, common law was codified in 1154 that relied on local previous custom. Property was understood to exist in a pre-enlightenment age, albeit in a cruder form. Like gravity was understood to exist before Galileo studied it, but in a less accurate manner.

Property was understood, and there were legal mechanisms do resolve property disputes. However, prior to enlightenment thinking (to the best of my knowledge anyway) any notion of property rights as being some natural right was non-existent.

And that's the point. Those serfs did not have rights, and no one had given much thought to what rights all men should have. Robin Hood was justified in his theft, his blatant disrespect for the law, because in disrespecting the law he was doing the right thing. We now might say he was doing the right thing because he was protecting people's rights, but the modern notion of rights was non-existent. Robin Hood would not think himself justified because he was protecting rights, but for some other reason. Perhaps he would think he was justified in correcting tyranny of nobility who had overreached their hereditary rights.

Quote:
If you mean.. Theft as in taking something without permission from someone else's possession,then yes. Theft as in taking property from it's rightful owner without consent, then no.

The first case. If we have to qualify theft to be "taking property from it's rightful owner" we probably need another thread.

Quote:
Merely coincidental. The full form of the proscribed law states, it is wrong to steal unless you are the king or have a bigger army than the king does.

What does a king have to do with prescribed law? Democratic states pass legislation. Further, I do not think we can chalk up agreement between law of man and moral law to coincidence. While humans are prone to error, often times laws are passed so that they agree with moral law. That is not coincidence.

Quote:
yes, exactly, and this avoids the contradiction that causes theft to not be a moral principle

So there are cases of moral theft. Therefore theft is not necessarily immoral.

Quote:
1000 years ago the rate of technological development was almost flat and at zero. Today technology is increasing at an increasing rate, leading to a doubling of the average lifespan in Europe. If that's not a form of success, what is?

Because the form of government is not responsible for technological advancement.

Quote:
Fuedalism/ communisim are based on the denial and forcefully reallocation of some property rights (all governments are) but is not based on complete denial of all property rights.

Fuedalism recognizes property rights of monarchs and their vassals, communism recognizes property rights of the state at large, and property rights so far as the common people have use and possession of some property, and assuming the state does not find that property more useful in someone else's possession.

So, sure, you have property "rights" under these systems, unless the king or government decides you do not. In such cases, the people do not have property rights, the government has property rights.

Quote:
The theory of property rights states that a man can claim things as property though contract or first use, and then can morally use such things in accordance to his values, and that such a claim if made would be moral. It does not state that such a claim must be made in order for a man to be moral, and it does not state that a person must defend these claims, only that if they choose to defend such claims it would be moral.

So people without property are in such a condition because they chose not to defend their claims to property?

Quote:
What if the law and the moral law are one in the same, like in Social Contract Theory?

If man's law and moral law are in agreement, there would be no reason to break man's law in such a case.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 10:10 am
@Quatl,
Quatl wrote:
I think we may have some obligation to justice (what ever that means) but I don't see any particular support for respect for law without evaluation.

It's easy enough for any of us to look over the various laws throughout history and fine some we think are unjust (we likely disagree as to which ones to one degree or another.) So I think we can easily agree that at least some law is unjust (thus immoral at least to the degree that we embrace justice as a moral good.) Non contradiction would indicate that if a law is immoral then obedience to the law is also immoral.

We may also choose to respect a particular law or set there of for other reasons than moral obligation, and many (most?) of us do so all the time. There are many laws that I obey only because my cost benefit analysis ends up assigning higher value to the results of compliance, than to the benefits of disobedience in these cases.

There are limits though. There are laws that have existed that would invalidate the government entirely in my view and I'd be forced by my moral emotions to either expatriate or revolt. All such laws of which I can conceive involve extreme violations of justice.

There is good pragmatic support for a principle of "apply only the least, effective force." Whereby one only responds with the minimum nessasary violence in defence of oneself. This can prevent unnecessary escalation in most cases. Some forms of civil dissobediance may quilify as an example, as would politics more generally.

I think that for me at least ,any "obligation to law" felt by me is not from the law at all, but is rather a result of either my respect for justice or an appeal to pragmatism.

It seems to me that without some law, there could hardly be any civil society, so that if one depends on civil society, which most of us do, we must have some obligation to obey the law as such, even if that obligation may be overridden in particular cases. Otherwise we would be depending on what we do not support.
0 Replies

WorBlux

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 01:23 pm
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:

As long as the leaders of government are in a state of nature (that is that they do not apply the social contract as a restriction upon themselves) they cannot be the same. The claim of sovereign power is the claim of immunity from natural moral law, and this is pretty much the same as a skydiver trying to claim immunity from gravity. Natural law cares not which gang calls themselves the government, and which one calls themselves the mafia.

Contract theory states that morally consent must be free, social contract theory states that consent can be morally forced.

wikipedia entry on social contract wrote:
The theory of an implicit social contract holds that by remaining in the territory controlled by some government, people give consent to be governed. This consent is what gives legitimacy to the government. Philosopher Roderick Long argues that this is a case of question begging, because the argument has to presuppose its conclusion:[INDENT] I think that the person who makes this argument is already assuming that the government has some legitimate jurisdiction over this territory. And then they say, well, now, anyone who is in the territory is therefore agreeing to the prevailing rules. But they're assuming the very thing they're trying to prove - namely that this jurisdiction over the territory is legitimate. If it's not, then the government is just one more group of people living in this broad general geographical territory. But I've got my property, and exactly what their arrangements are I don't know, but here I am in my property and they don't own it - at least they haven't given me any argument that they do - and so, the fact that I am living in "this country" means I am living in a certain geographical region that they have certain pretensions over - but the question is whether those pretensions are legitimate. You can't assume it as a means to proving it.[9]

[/INDENT]
0 Replies

WorBlux

Reply Sat 12 Apr, 2008 02:58 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Property was understood, and there were legal mechanisms do resolve property disputes. However, prior to enlightenment thinking (to the best of my knowledge anyway) any notion of property rights as being some natural right was non-existent.

And that's the point. Those serfs did not have rights, and no one had given much thought to what rights all men should have. Robin Hood was justified in his theft, his blatant disrespect for the law, because in disrespecting the law he was doing the right thing. We now might say he was doing the right thing because he was protecting people's rights, but the modern notion of rights was non-existent. Robin Hood would not think himself justified because he was protecting rights, but for some other reason. Perhaps he would think he was justified in correcting tyranny of nobility who had overreached their hereditary rights.

In a scholastic since such notions as natural rights were not well developed yes. The fact though of someone claiming a thing exclusively as his own presopuses that he believes it right for people to own things. The fact that formal systems were set up to defend these claims is evidence that there was a demand for such rights, limited as they may have been.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Because the form of government is not responsible for technological advancement.

No, but it can certainly be responsible to slowing such advancement. The kings and nobles knew they could not control a populace with an amount of wealth and were not motivated to pursue R&D outside the implements of war.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

Feudalism recognizes property rights of monarchs and their vassals, communism recognizes property rights of the state at large, and property rights so far as the common people have use and possession of some property, and assuming the state does not find that property more useful in someone else's possession.

So, sure, you have property "rights" under these systems, unless the king or government decides you do not. In such cases, the people do not have property rights, the government has property rights.

You are failing to make a very important discernment here. The state, and the governments are abstractions describing an individual or group of individuals.

Also "more useful" demands the question... More useful for what, and by whose standard" Whichever individual makes the decision is claiming the right (correctly or incorrectly) to use such thing to what he the values that he chooses is claiming ownership over it.

After making such a discernment noting that government is an abreaction ,we can see how such a system proposing that the state owns everything is A.)Impossible, and B.) if put into practice by those claiming to represent the state could not be universally applied, and therefore not moral.

Didymos Thomas wrote:

So people without property are in such a condition because they chose not to defend their claims to property?

This is not what I said, and a strict reading would not lead to this conclusion. The conclusion that is lead to is "some people not owning property does not mean that people cannot morally claim things are property"

The existence of virgins does not mean consensual sex can not be moral. People being virgins wither by choice or circumstance, does not negate the statement "All people having consensual sex are morally justified in doing so" or in shorter terms "People have the moral right to have sex with whom they choose"

Likewise people being poor either by choice or by circumstance does not negate the statement "All people claiming property by first use or voluntary contract (note the adjective is redundant with the definition of contract) are morally justified in doing so"
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 11:50 am
@WorBlux,
WorBlux wrote:
1. This current system is nowhere near pure capitalist, and even the most communistic governments there was a person who had the ability to exercise property rights over the means of production. Under a capitalist system there could be some sort of disaster, but certainly human life and happiness are possible under it. How long do you think a society where individuals could not even be sure of their ownership of the bread in their hand, could possibly survive. how long do you think farmers could raise wheat by needing to steal a tractor every time they wanted to plant, and a combine every time they wanted to harvest, how long would the combine run when no person could be sure if weather the maintainence applied to it would benefit them.

Ownership rights I completely agree with, yes; however, we need not involve conceptions of moral value when deciding that property rights are a privelage we should promote and protect as a democratic society. In fact, surely morality is in antagonism with democratic forms of society - in that once action x has been deemed immoral or 'bad', it becomes alien to 'what society wants', and surely in a democracy all members or positions are countenanced without prejudice, based on their value to the people; if x has been deemed 'bad', a basic prejudice has been achieved.

Quote:

Illness is the failure of an organism to act at 100% of the genetic potential of a specific organism or species. Health is how closely a organism is at carrying out the full genetic capacity of itself or it's species.

Biochemical reactions and medicine are far removed from the realm of conscious choices.

Also, what grounds could a doctor have for making a patient take a medicine that he did not want to do, unless in fact he considered health "good"

His grounds would be founded in the principle that it is a doctor's job to cure ills and prolong life, no moral obligation or position is neccessary in the slightest. Pain or illness cannot be considered generally 'bad', for in many instances pain or illness is a pleasure to an individual; so we consider pain as something one might want a cure for, if we decide or are care of another individual who decides that cure is preferable to prolonged pain/illness.

I cite an example of a non-violent psychotic who is forced to take medicine as an example of the problem with conceptions of 'good'/'bad' heavily influencing the actions of a doctor for example. We now live in a society (at least I do) in which a petition can be brought against somebody in order for them to be sectioned or forcibly medicated for mental illness - for this person there is no choice, they are legally required to take the medication and attend any clinics etc. My position is that if either the person is a danger or asks for help then they should undergo treatment, yet if mental illness is considered as a 'bad' thing by society or institutions then our freedom to think freely has been curtailed, and surely this system of petitioning for treatment on behalf of another boils down to common law, and the categorization of mental health problems as 'bad'.

Quote:

"should never...." Isn't that an extreme generalization? (you propose as an absolute for secular society, that secular society should not base laws on absolute principles) Since it is not possible to simultaneously use and not use absolute principles, one could never be right in saying such a thing.

I admit that "should never say should" is at best a paradox and fundamentally hypocritical, yet I stand fast in the opinion that people should generally never proclaim universal morality or choose options for others (ie philosophy/religion).

Quote:

Nowhere have I proposed a system of criminal law, only one of common law. If an act is immoral, then the person injured can bring forth a case to secure restitution. Certainly the amount of intention or negligence present in an action would affect the result.

If there is no complaint, then there is no case.

My complaint is that morality would appear to be the foundation of both criminal and common law. My theory is that both systems of law should be founded in empiricism and upon general factors, such as pain, discomfort, force or property rights, for example - and that morality should not enter into discussions of law.

I have a distinct problem with the categorization of phenomena as 'good' or 'bad'; my problem as I have already stated is that both words are variable definitives, and in my opinion form a contradiction in terms whenever they are used.

Quote:

The problem with experimentally based law, is how can experiments be justified?

That's a fair question, yet I cannot agree that moral categorization could ever be considered proper justification.
0 Replies

Renegade phil

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 12:48 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
I think that one should be able to follow their own morals, yes. If a mass murderer can justify his actions then all the better for him. However, I believe it is up to societies morals(as a majority) to decide what is "right" and what is "wrong".

Mass murder is civil disobedience right?
Doobah47

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 01:29 pm
@Renegade phil,
Renegade wrote:
I think that one should be able to follow their own morals, yes. If a mass murderer can justify his actions then all the better for him. However, I believe it is up to societies morals(as a majority) to decide what is "right" and what is "wrong".

I think it is up to the individual to decide using morals, and that morality should never be the basis of laws that govern society. So whatever I decide is 'good' is a matter for me and me only.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 02:33 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
In a scholastic since such notions as natural rights were not well developed yes. The fact though of someone claiming a thing exclusively as his own presopuses that he believes it right for people to own things. The fact that formal systems were set up to defend these claims is evidence that there was a demand for such rights, limited as they may have been.

I think we've gone a little off track with the Robin Hood example. Interesting, none the less.

You're right that the development of liberal ideas came out of a growing demand for rights, particularly property rights. Regardless of a demand for rights, the people did not have said rights.

Quote:
No, but it can certainly be responsible to slowing such advancement. The kings and nobles knew they could not control a populace with an amount of wealth and were not motivated to pursue R&D outside the implements of war.

The vast majority of modern technological development is the result of advancement in war technology. Take the space race, for example.

Quote:
You are failing to make a very important discernment here. The state, and the governments are abstractions describing an individual or group of individuals.

A government is not an abstraction. And I think the distinction you want me to make is exactly my point - the government, a monarchy, is comprised for an elite few people. Only those elite few have any rights, the rest of the people exist to serve those elite few per their fuedal bonds.

Quote:
Also "more useful" demands the question... More useful for what, and by whose standard" Whichever individual makes the decision is claiming the right (correctly or incorrectly) to use such thing to what he the values that he chooses is claiming ownership over it.

In the case of monarchy, the decision would be the king's or his minister's. Those in possession of the property have no authority over the property.

Quote:
This is not what I said, and a strict reading would not lead to this conclusion. The conclusion that is lead to is "some people not owning property does not mean that people cannot morally claim things are property"

And still the initial question is unanswered: So why do some have property rights, and others left out?

Quote:

Depends upon the conditions. Who did he kill and why? How did the murderer react to legal recourse?
This does lead to a worthy question: can killing be an act of civil disobedience?
WorBlux

Reply Mon 14 Apr, 2008 07:08 pm
@Renegade phil,
Renegade wrote:

No, not by any streatch, and the morality that you claim is mere Aesthetics, and a might makes right system.
0 Replies

WorBlux

Reply Tue 15 Apr, 2008 10:11 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

A government is not an abstraction. And I think the distinction you want me to make is exactly my point - the government, a monarchy, is comprised for an elite few people. Only those elite few have any rights, the rest of the people exist to serve those elite few per their feudal bonds.

In the case of monarchy, the decision would be the king's or his minister's. Those in possession of the property have no authority over the property.

How exactly is it that the king claims authority over all property but the the might of his army. Inferring that he believes it is moral to claim property by force. However when the king claims this as an exclusive right, persecuting thieves and frauds, we can know that such a system could never be considered moral. (universally and equally applying to all men)

Didymos Thomas wrote:

And still the initial question is unanswered: So why do some have property rights, and others left out?

Some do not own property by choice, others because of circumstance. all people however are morally justified to claim property through virtue of first use or contract.
0 Replies