Civil Disobedience

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 08:36 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
But the Committee had decreed that Socrates was forbidden to teach what he taught, and according the Athenian law, their decrees had the force of law. So, Socrates did, indeed violate Athenian law. And he admits as much in the Apology.

Hmm, yes, basically, you're right. As I recall the committee order him to stop corruption the youth, and of course, Socrates did not think his teaching corrupted the youth.

Quote:
Similarly, in recent times, Martin Luther King admitted that he had violated the ordinances of Birmingham, Alabama, and he spent some time in jail for that (see his Letter from a Birmingham Jail). But his defense was not that he had not violated the law, but that there was a "higher law" that he was obeying, that overrode the Birmingham ordinance.

Classic example of civil disobedience.

Quote:
There is always the problem of why it is that Socrates thought it right to violate one law (that forbade him to teach) and yet argued it was wrong to violate the law by escaping his death.

Wouldn't this be classic civil disobedience? He willingly and openly violated a law he thought to be wrong because he thought he should violate the law and teach. However, he accepted his punishment from the state because he was obligated to do so - if he does not face his punishment willingly, he endorses anarchy and abandons the principles which drove him to teach, despite his order to not teach.

So, maybe the issue isn't which obligation is stronger. If we disobey the law on principle, and then avoid punishment, have we abandon the principle which drove us to break the law initially?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 09:34 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

Wouldn't this be classic civil disobedience? He willingly and openly violated a law he thought to be wrong because he thought he should violate the law and teach. However, he accepted his punishment from the state because he was obligated to do so - if he does not face his punishment willingly, he endorses anarchy and abandons the principles which drove him to teach, despite his order to not teach.

So, maybe the issue isn't which obligation is stronger. If we disobey the law on principle, and then avoid punishment, have we abandon the principle which drove us to break the law initially?

But the fact remains that Socrates intentionally violated the law in the first instance by teaching, but refused to violate the law in the second instance, by not escaping. Whether he "made up" for violating the law is really not to the point. He should not have violated the law if he thought it was wrong to do so. You don't make it all right to violate a law by accepting punishment for doing so. (It would be absurd to argue that it was all right to murder someone as long as I accepted punishment for doing so).

Socrates's justification for violating the law (justification, not excuse) was that there was a higher law which he was obligated to obey. Namely that he was commanded by the gods to teach. But, Socrates has no such justification for escaping. (And that is exactly what Martin Luther King writes in his Letter. He is obeying a higher law than the civil ordinances of Birmingham.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Sat 5 Apr, 2008 10:14 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
But the fact remains that Socrates intentionally violated the law in the first instance by teaching, but refused to violate the law in the second instance, by not escaping. Whether he "made up" for violating the law is really not to the point. He should not have violated the law if he thought it was wrong to do so. You don't make it all right to violate a law by accepting punishment for doing so. (It would be absurd to argue that it was all right to murder someone as long as I accepted punishment for doing so).

Of course you do not "make up" for violating a law by accepting the punishment. But as you said, the issue was a matter of which obligation was stronger, the obligation to break the law, or the obligation to obey the law.

As for Socrates, why would his higher law obligate him to break some law, and then accept death; why would his higher law have him act against the state's decision, and then embrace the state's decision that his initial action, disobeying the state, was worthy of a death sentence? Wasn't one of the complaints that Socrates' teaching was heretical?

This higher power appeal seems to demand a higher power that cannot make up it's mind. The result, I fear, are some contradictory obligations to that higher power and to the state. How can a higher law justify obedience to a state that is worth disobeying?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 6 Apr, 2008 04:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Of course you do not "make up" for violating a law by accepting the punishment. But as you said, the issue was a matter of which obligation was stronger, the obligation to break the law, or the obligation to obey the law.

As for Socrates, why would his higher law obligate him to break some law, and then accept death; why would his higher law have him act against the state's decision, and then embrace the state's decision that his initial action, disobeying the state, was worthy of a death sentence? Wasn't one of the complaints that Socrates' teaching was heretical?

This higher power appeal seems to demand a higher power that cannot make up it's mind. The result, I fear, are some contradictory obligations to that higher power and to the state. How can a higher law justify obedience to a state that is worth disobeying?

There is not merely the general obligation to obey the law, but the obligation to obey some particular law. There is no obligation, so far as I can tell, to break the law. (Maybe anarchists think there is such an obligation. I don't know).

I don't really know what you are asking when you ask why a higher law would obligate Socrates to disobey another law. I suppose the answer to that is that when two laws conflict, it is the obligation to obey the higher law that overrides the obligation to obey the lesser law. Who "embraced" the decision that his disobedience of the law was worthy of a death sentence? I don't recall any discussion of that in the dialogues. I just think that Socrates held that he had no good moral reason to disobey the law when he was sentenced to death. So that his obligation to obey the law in the case took precedence.

I don't understand your last question. Obviously, if we have a higher obligation to disobey a particular law, then that would override our general obligation to obey the law. The question of whether the Athenian State was "worth disobeying" never comes up. It is assumed that we have an obligation to obey the laws of the State. The only question is whether Socrates also has an obligation to escape, and, if so, is it a stronger obligation than his obligation to obey the laws of Athens. In Crito, Socrates considers various arguments for escaping and comes to the conclusion that none of them are (even together) sufficient to make the case that he ought to disobey the law that sentences him to death, so that his obligation to obey the law is stronger than any obligation he has to escape, and, so, disobey the law.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:36 am
@Didymos Thomas,
When governments outlaw natural substances then that is the time to rebel.
When they outlaw activities its probably for the good.
However governments consistently break their own laws; they allow rape of underage kids with cigarettes because they can't understand how to entice a kid to learn without indoctrinating them and forcing them to rebel. They commit murder consistently in the name of protection and conquest. So when the government breaks it's own laws then it's time to rebel.
Another time to rebel is when some f*cker decides he wants a road there so he can drive his car at eighty miles an hour on his way to make some cash.

Civil disobedience is just. Restricting hedonism is unjust, but it's got to be done because some people are far too naughty.

and before you say wtf? rape and cigarettes?? I'll point you to the famous Lucky Strike brand, decode the name and you come up with LUST and yaSukker
0 Replies

Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 09:59 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
The term was coined by HD Thoreau to describe public disobedience for laws considered unjust.

Uniform to acts of civil disobedience is some notion of a moral responsibility to disobey some law or directive. The objective is usually to communicate some message, namely that the law being disobeyed is unjust or wrong.

So, is civil disobedience acceptable? and if so, under what conditions?

The central point is that positive law is not moral law, and the existence of morality would dictate that we have an obligation to abide by our morals. If there exists morality, then we must obey this moral law, even if it conflicts with existing positive law.

In the end, it is not so much whether civil disobedience is acceptable, it is that acting against moral law is unacceptable.

Of course I was very careful to avoid just what these moral obligations are (or even if they exist) because that is an entirely different question.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 10:05 am
@Didymos Thomas,
We dont have an obligation to our government, our government has an obligation to us.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 11:01 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
The central point is that positive law is not moral law, and the existence of morality would dictate that we have an obligation to abide by our morals. If there exists morality, then we must obey this moral law, even if it conflicts with existing positive law.

Are there no examples of moral, positive law? What about law giving access to education, or laws that guarantee a living wage?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:17 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Are there no examples of moral, positive law? What about law giving access to education, or laws that guarantee a living wage?

If positive law correlates with moral law, it is only coincidental.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 12:26 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Perhaps, however we can be sure that positive law can be moral law. Why are such cases purely coincidental?

Are moral laws, which happen to be positive (guaranteeing access to education or a living wage, perhaps), moral for some reason, and negative moral laws moral for some other reason, or simply for their agreement with what is moral?
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 01:40 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Perhaps, however we can be sure that positive law can be moral law. Why are such cases purely coincidental?

Are moral laws, which happen to be positive (guaranteeing access to education or a living wage, perhaps), moral for some reason, and negative moral laws moral for some other reason, or simply for their agreement with what is moral?

I am not contrasting positive and negative, I am contrasting positive legalism with normative natural law. Positive laws are the work of men and governments, while a natural moral law would transcend that, being a law that is built into nature.
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:24 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

The only meaning I know for, "positive law" is man-made law, as contrasted with divine law, or with moral law. What do you mean by it?
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2008 02:51 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Morality is riddled with fallacy, if law is founded upon morality then it is sure to disrupt what would otherwise be a free society. Law should operate with regard to empiricism - what doesn't work for a positive beneficial society, what hurts people - if we found law upon common moral codes then we fall into the trap of multi-billion corporate profit being legal; everybody thinks it is just to make as much money as possible as long as nobody is harmed or treated in a derogatory fashion along the way, yet many corporations treat people like dirt yet they treat them within a law which is founded in morals, usually morals founded in religious doctrine.

Surely our society would operate in a more just fashion if there were laws forcing the rich to donate money, yet religious morality doesn't acount for financial inequality, it accounts for such silliness as disobedience or adultery.

Sure theft or murder should be illegal, although law doesn't stop the government from thieving and killing, law should stop people from doing so because it harms others. When you see the inequalities in a system founded in sheer religious subjugation then you realise that the biggest criminals in this society operate within the law.

For me the word 'justice' bears no relation to morality, it relates to pain, discomfort, hardship and to forcing those who do not consent. Sure you could outline a moral argument against these things and make a good job of it, but when we talk about injustice some morally acceptable actions could be considered unjust and some immoral actions could be considered just. Lets take an example of a prostitute; she's not drug addicted, she lives in a nice house and she has friends outside of the sex trade, for many people any kind of prostitution is immoral because engaging in it encourages society to engage in the less decent sides to prostitution; morally we have to live in a society governed by 'correct' answers to social questions. It is my opinion that sleeping with the higher class prostitute is just, and sleeping with the drug-addicted prostitute is unjust - surely law could allow for such discrepancies, if only it were founded in empiricism and not morals.

On the other hand it would appear to be acceptable, although perhaps not morally, to target children with addictive damaging substances such as sugar, caffeine, fats and salt. However, it seems that no religion has accounted in their moral codes for billion dollar corporations following the laws of the land and damaging the children of this society - blatantly unjust yet accepted by the governments, they might pass pithy laws banning sugar adverts on Cartoon Network, but we all know that Coca-Cola has a hold on this society's desire; through sneaky marketing and steadfast branding, they could sell a 5 year old a bottle of Dr Pepper through his older brother or his mother or his gran.

I might sound like a militant crazy person, dont get me wrong I used to love going wild on sugar rushes as a child, I'd never deny such experiences to children, but they shouldn't be targetted, and having Santa Claus in an advert is surely targetting children.

There we go, rant over... but it was sincere, and I wholeheartedly believe that the point I'm making is real secular justice.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 05:03 am
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:
Morality is riddled with fallacy, if law is founded upon morality then it is sure to disrupt what would otherwise be a free society. Law should operate with regard to empiricism - what doesn't work for a positive beneficial society, what hurts people

This is a normative statement about how law should operate. I don't know how you wish to establish a legal framework without a moral basis, and it doesn't appear that you do either.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2008 03:02 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
I am not contrasting positive and negative, I am contrasting positive legalism with normative natural law. Positive laws are the work of men and governments, while a natural moral law would transcend that, being a law that is built into nature.

Well, then what if the laws of man align with those natural laws. Are the laws of men then moral? It would seem so.

Quote:
The only meaning I know for, "positive law" is man-made law, as contrasted with divine law, or with moral law. What do you mean by it?

We can use the terminology in several different ways, I suppose. My thinking went to the nature of the law, positive being those laws that support a right to do something, negative being those laws that support a right to be left alone in some respect.
Mr Fight the Power

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:06 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Well, then what if the laws of man align with those natural laws. Are the laws of men then moral? It would seem so.

But then obligation has nothing to do with it being positive law.
0 Replies

Doobah47

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 10:27 am
@Mr Fight the Power,
Mr. Fight the Power wrote:
This is a normative statement about how law should operate. I don't know how you wish to establish a legal framework without a moral basis, and it doesn't appear that you do either.

I don't think what you've understood me to say is what I am trying to say.

To be honest I do not think that pain or death require morality to decide whether they should happen or not - our subconscious and instincts may be logical or function according to routines which they adopt (for example people learn that x is painful), yet I do not think that they make the decision to categorize x as 'bad' compared with some other y which is 'good'.

Now our bodies and our subconscious minds have got us quite far, so I think it would be silly to disregard the natural laws and routines which we adopte and prosper with when inventing the laws which govern our conscious minds and conscious activities. After all, if we consciously knew that x meant punishment then surely our subconscious mind would follow and not suggest x if the sunconscious was based in morality, yet we know that not to be the case, so the subconscious is not a moral phenomena.

OK so we seem to have calculated that we should govern ourselves, but surely it was religion that invented these concepts of 'good' and 'bad', in a secular society we should not accept these terms as absolute, ultimate definitions of action x.

You should have understood from my example about the prostitute that there is a flaw in moral justification, and that we need to judge events with empiricism.

My only suggestion would be to defer from ever using the words 'bad' or 'good' when ascertaining whether an event should merit punishment, and that would mean disregarding morality and using democracy and empiricism instead; however I doubt whether this will ever happen, morality is so heavily indoctrinated in society that it would take generation after generation to erase 'good' and 'bad' from the common lexus.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 01:02 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
But then obligation has nothing to do with it being positive law.

Right, the obligation comes from the law's agreement with morality. None the less, if positive law can agree with some unwritten greater moral law (the specifics of which we could debate all day and not agree upon), then the positive law is moral law.
0 Replies

WorBlux

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 01:38 pm
@Doobah47,
Doobah47 wrote:

OK so we seem to have calculated that we should govern ourselves, but surely it was religion that invented these concepts of 'good' and 'bad', in a secular society we should not accept these terms as absolute, ultimate definitions of action x.

Moral statements can be judged true or false, in accordance to evidence and reason.

A moral statement is of how people should act. To be true, it must apply to all people, be consistent with all other known moral laws, and there be some empirical evidence that such a course of action is more desirable than the alternative.

For example we can know that a moral premise "Theft is moral" is false. The thief wishes deny ownership of an object from it's owner (denying him use of the property) while at the same time planning to assert ownership over the property (using it for his own satisfaction and protecting it from others).

If theft were universally moral, the thief would be immoral in protecting his property from others, thus because of this contradiction, we know that theft by some cannot be moral.

We also know that property rights exist and are empirically valid, because systems completely denying them have failed before being fully implemented.

Therefore theft is absolutely and unequivocally immoral (Even without assuming the existence of God or an obligation to obey the majority)
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 9 Apr, 2008 01:45 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Moral statements can be judged true or false, in accordance to evidence and reason.

A moral statement is of how people should act. To be true, it must apply to all people, be consistent with all other known moral laws, and there be some empirical evidence that such a course of action is more desirable than the alternative.

For example we can know that a moral premise "Theft is moral" is false. The thief wishes deny ownership of an object from it's owner (denying him use of the property) while at the same time planning to assert ownership over the property (using it for his own satisfaction and protecting it from others).

Let's use your example, then. What if the thief steals from someone who has accumulated his wealth with unethical business practices? And then, what if our thief is a Robin Hood sort of fellow, and instead of asserting ownership over what he steals, he gives what he steals to the needy?

Quote:
We also know that property rights exist and are empirically valid, because systems completely denying them have failed before being fully implemented.

That's a difficult argument to make. What of those systems which have thrived which do not recognize property rights? Feudalism did not fail before being implemented, instead it thrived all over the world for centuries.