Faith and miracles

boagie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:20 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
Thanks boagie, and I do hope that I leave room for debate. Wink If what I believe is the truth, then it should not only be able to survive the light of careful examination, but be enriched by it. If it proves otherwise, then it probably wasn't worth protecting in the first place.

As far as the wonder vs concrete diety idea goes, I think I can see what you are saying, and agree that at times this has happened. But I also see that atheism, evolutionism, and modern science have robbed many people of the wonder of universe. Seeing the wonder in the universe seems more like a personal choice than an issue of creeds. For the believers in Diety, they can look at the universe and see the wonder of their Diety and of His incredible creation. Or they can choose to ignore it. The atheist has a similar choice, though I personally don't understand what would be understood through the wonder. Maybe you can help me understand that a little better...

Also, I was wondering what spirituality means to you?

Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile "For the believers in diety they can look at the universe and see the wonder of the diety and of his incredible creation." This is my point, when you have attributed a cause, a source, an answer to the wonder before you, you in essence close the door of wonder, and at least for me wonder is an essential quality of spirituality.

"The atheist has a similar choice, though I personally do not understand what would be understood through the wonder." Understanding would itself eliminate wonder, but this is what the religious do, they say they understand, if so, there is then no wonder is there. I understand also from the Christians I know, that wonder is not part of there spirituality. I remember a line from Meister Eckhart, the Christian mystic,"The goal is to move pass the image of god, to reach god." here the door remains open I think.
NeitherExtreme

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 12:52 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
"For the believers in diety they can look at the universe and see the wonder of the diety and of his incredible creation." This is my point, when you have attributed a cause, a source, an answer to the wonder before you, you in essence close the door of wonder, and at least for me wonder is an essential quality of spirituality.

I get what you're saying, but I would say that if you attribute an incomprehensably wonderful creation to an incomprehensably wonderful Creator, you have not closed the door of wonder, but essentially thrown it wide open. Smile

boagie wrote:

Understanding would itself eliminate wonder, but this is what the religious do, they say they understand, if so, there is then no wonder is there. I understand also from the Christians I know, that wonder is not part of there spirituality.

If at least acknowledging wonder is not part of their spirituality, then they have not opened their eyes to much of the Bible, as well as the world around them.

boagie wrote:

I remember a line from Meister Eckhart, the Christian mystic,"The goal is to move pass the image of god, to reach god." here the door remains open I think.

That is a neat quote. Seems like it could be a good reason that God (in the Bible) tells His people not to make images (even of Himslef) to worship, even though we see that worshiping man-made things seems to be part of every culture, including modern western culture. If we have physical objects to worship, our need to "reach God" has been undermined (as well as the idea of wonder).
boagie

Reply Sun 25 Nov, 2007 01:31 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I would say that if you attribute an incomprehensably wonderful creation to an incomprehensably wonderful Creator, you have not closed the door of wonder, but essentially thrown it wide open. Smile

If at least acknowledging wonder is not part of their spirituality, then they have not opened their eyes to much of the Bible, as well as the world around them.

That is a neat quote. Seems like it could be a good reason that God (in the Bible) tells His people not to make images (even of Himslef) to worship, even though we see that worshiping man-made things seems to be part of every culture, including modern western culture. If we have physical objects to worship, our need to "reach God" has been undermined (as well as the idea of wonder).

Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile I believe our thinking is not as far apart as I first believed. Indeed the worship of an image is something akin to the worship of the golden calf is it not. I think spirituality needs to avoid closed concepts, indeed in life that which is considered in isolation, is not, that which is closed ceases to exist. This is a realization science of late has made inescapable, odd it should be science which opens to spirituality. Actually going back to your post, if you attribute the wonder to a known deity, that does undermine the wonder, the mystery----only with pretense however. The fact remains the universe, the creation is pure wonder, and the source must remain forever X. Of course they could create an image of X and worship the image a.k.a golden calf. Thought is to much to ask of most congregations, it is not asked of them for a reason.
dpmartin

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 12:09 pm
@Ciana5,
Boagie

"your kids will be sent home from school crying for being different and/or devil worshippers"
That sucks.

As far as I can tell science can not prove that There is a Living God. And science can not prove that there is not a Living God. Therefore it is a belief that there is a Living God, and it is a belief that there is not a Living God. Both justified by what? Could it be faith?

If one trusts in the Mercy of the Living God, through Jesus, he is justified, before God, (not self righteousness) by faith in the Mercy of God through the promise of Jesus.

But the reward of a faith that there is no God, "atheism", I have no idea what the expectation should be.

If those who say they are christians and exercise brutality or cruelty or are accusatory or are full of there own anger and wrath (Or worse). Then ether they are hypocrites or they do not understand the mercy of God as fully as they should (been guilty there). But one can go to scripture and show the error of there doing in the context of what they say they believe or agree as true.

But, I could be wrong here, it seems to me that when it comes to "atheism" there is no correction to go to. No matter what kind of person an atheist is, as long as he says there is no God he is qualified to be apart. This is not to say that atheist are evil in any way. But what's a good atheist and a bad atheist?
boagie

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 01:11 pm
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:
Boagie

"your kids will be sent home from school crying for being different and/or devil worshippers"
That sucks.

As far as I can tell science can not prove that There is a Living God. And science can not prove that there is not a Living God. Therefore it is a belief that there is a Living God, and it is a belief that there is not a Living God. Both justified by what? Could it be faith?

If one trusts in the Mercy of the Living God, through Jesus, he is justified, before God, (not self righteousness) by faith in the Mercy of God through the promise of Jesus.

But the reward of a faith that there is no God, "atheism", I have no idea what the expectation should be.

If those who say they are christians and exercise brutality or cruelty or are accusatory or are full of there own anger and wrath (Or worse). Then ether they are hypocrites or they do not understand the mercy of God as fully as they should (been guilty there). But one can go to scripture and show the error of there doing in the context of what they say they believe or agree as true.

But, I could be wrong here, it seems to me that when it comes to "atheism" there is no correction to go to. No matter what kind of person an atheist is, as long as he says there is no God he is qualified to be apart. This is not to say that atheist are evil in any way. But what's a good atheist and a bad atheist?

dpmartin,Smile

Smile Actually if science had evidence of a god they would present it, as they did before the publication of the Origin Of Species and for a short after its publication. Nature at that time was constantly used to point out the inescapable design of the complexity of nature. The atheist simply states without evidence for the existence of something why would I believe in its existence? I know many of the religious would like the atheist considered on the same plane/level as the believer, this is again wishful thinking--ain't that a surprize!!

Smile The faithful are looking for rewards, that is their problem.

Smile Your comments about true Christians, in fact dpmartin, there are very few christians who walk the walk. It is Christianity as an institution and political animal that I disrespect. Christianity is now under attack but it is under attack because it has attacked in its political form. The scientific community, the intellectual community have said enough, tolerance has become a withered weed, and needs to be pulled.

Smile There are all kinds of people who wish to kill others because they have not got their theology right. Christianity is far from an acception.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:16 pm
@boagie,
Quote:

Most atheists are reluctant to claim that there is, certainly, no God. As boagie points out, the argument generally goes that without evidence of God, there is no reason to assert God's existence.

Quote:
But one can go to scripture and show the error of there doing in the context of what they say they believe or agree as true.

Absolutely. Fundamentalism has done a great deal of damage to Christianity; fundamentalism has given hate and judgement firm ground to stand upon.

Quote:
This is not to say that atheist are evil in any way. But what's a good atheist and a bad atheist?

The same as a good Christian. However we come about moral virtue, the moral virtue does not change. Jesus taught love for all men, so did the Buddha, and so do many secular teachers. Morality can be taught regardless of faith, unless you think morality depends upon faith.

Quote:
The scientific community, the intellectual community have said enough, tolerance has become a withered weed, and needs to be pulled.

Tolerance has become such a thing? How so? If anything, we are more tolerant today than we were a thousand years ago. Either way, do we give upon and root out something good just because others have not embraced it? If others show a lack of tolerance, the only cure is tolerance towards them, that they might know the virtues of tolerance. Power of moral example.
boagie

Reply Mon 26 Nov, 2007 05:36 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas,

Smile I think this needs qualification does not? What if science invaded the church and insisted upon evolutionary biology being preached to the congregation. I think people have shown great tolerance for the believer but that just seems to have made them more arrogant. No for me and many others, believers have outstripped the capacity for tolerance. They have decided upon a political life, let them take there lumps like everyone else for doing so.
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 03:12 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Neitherextreme,Smile
Smile I believe our thinking is not as far apart as I first believed. Indeed the worship of an image is something akin to the worship of the golden calf is it not. I think spirituality needs to avoid closed concepts, indeed in life that which is considered in isolation, is not, that which is closed ceases to exist. This is a realization science of late has made inescapable, odd it should be science which opens to spirituality. Actually going back to your post, if you attribute the wonder to a known deity, that does undermine the wonder, the mystery----only with pretense however. The fact remains the universe, the creation is pure wonder, and the source must remain forever X. Of course they could create an image of X and worship the image a.k.a golden calf. Thought is to much to ask of most congregations, it is not asked of them for a reason.

I agree that we are probably not polar-oposites the way it might apear at first, though of course we have our diferences. Wink To me, wonder itself is not something that has meaning in and of itself any more than knowledge. I think that it is only in context that it gains meaning and importance.

Also, I want to just clarify my postition on the "known diety" topic: Reason can get me to the need for something outside of "known" existance to create it. From this point, I would assume that all that we could know about this thing would be what it has choosen to reveal (in one way or another), with human limits to our understanding. That said, I believe that there is a "I am", an ultimate and self-defined being that created everything that is, that has revealed Himself in numerous ways, and that He can be said to be "known" in the ways that He has made Himself understandable to us. At the same time, that can never take away from the infinite amount that we do not know.

This is much the same as the universe itself. We can learn a lot about it, only to realize how much more there is to know and be given a fresh sense of wonder and humility. Of course we could also caullously grow prideful of our knowledge and loose the sense of awe and wonder that the universe should hold. And I believe the same thing can happen with "knowing" God.

PS. About spirituality: We obviously are going two have different meanings for this word (I believe in a spiritual dimension, and I don't think you do?) Often I have kind of avoided the word since even within Christian circles it can mean so many different things. I looked around a bit and found this chart about Christian Spirituality. I had seen something similar before and thought it might be interesting to you, and also might help you see that there have been many different "kinds" of Christians throughout history. It's not a complete or perfect list, but I think it's helpful. I think a lot of modern-Western Christians would fall in the "reform" category, which I also think is probably the one that you would have the most issues with... Also I think it might be helpful for anyone who has been frustrated by the history of the "organized" Church (which has often acted as a tyranical and self-serving political power, quite opposite of Christ's teaching and lifestyle), as you can see what the personal faith of individuals trying to follow Christ looked like.
http://axisterrae.com/PDFs/vests_chart.pdf
I have also heard the term spirituality to describe how a person best experiences God, through nature, study, relationships, serving others, etc.
Personally I think it's a confusing word and would prefer to describe whatever I am talking about with other words instead.:rolleyes:
boagie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:03 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile Yes, I guess I was mistaken we are worlds apart in this. I find that the mystics, the eastern religions and science open more to spirituality then the Christian faith. The focus of Christianity has always been on the duality of reality, rather than the oneness of things. Christian mystics and mystics of other traditions have also be inclined in this belief and now science has substanitated the reality of this. Do you not find this spiritually opening for you? How does the Christian faith deal with the reality that life lives on life, big fish eats little fish, this was a problem even for primative man, he felt quilty for killing his fellow creatures and so introduced rituals to deal with the guilt. Compared with other traditions as well I do not find Christianity terriable informative about the human condition, relative to say the ancient Hindu spiritual texts. There are some morally grounding princples to be found in Christianity, but none that are not found elsewhere and generally there is much more wisdom then can be found in the bible. You do indeed have enthusiasm, but for what I fail to see. The nature of reality is relational but I do not think I have ever heard or read anything in the bible which indicates this, not that I have had any expectation that it would.

Joseph Campbell: God is a metaphor for that which transcends all levels of intellectual thought.Smile
NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 07:57 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile Yes, I guess I was mistaken we are worlds apart in this. I find that the mystics, the eastern religions and science open more to spirituality then the Christian faith. The focus of Christianity has always been on the duality of reality, rather than the oneness of things. Christian mystics and mystics of other traditions have also be inclined in this belief and now science has substanitated the reality of this. Do you not find this spiritually opening for you? How does the Christian faith deal with the reality that life lives on life, big fish eats little fish, this was a problem even for primative man, he felt quilty for killing his fellow creatures and so introduced rituals to deal with the guilt. Compared with other traditions as well I do not find Christianity terriable informative about the human condition, relative to say the ancient Hindu spiritual texts. There is some morally grounding princples to be found in Christianity, but none that are not found elsewhere and generally there is much more wisdom then can be found in the bible. You do indeed have enthusiasm, but for what I fail to see.

First, I have to say that although I do feel like I've been exposed to quite a lot of different cultures etc., my biggest feeling of ignorance is in the area of eastern religions and phillosophies. I've read bits and pieces here and there, but no substantial learning. Sad

As far as the duality being central to Christian teaching, I easily see why you would see it that way, and I see how that would be frustrating. But I think that this probably developed as Christians through out time tried to define what exactly they believed vs. what they didn't. (Which I think has been too much of an emphasis since very early in Christianity, though I still think it's important to work through.) I personally don't like the hard lines drawn between spirit and matter that exists today. For what it's worth, spirit vs flesh was also a hot topic in the world-at-large when Christianity had it's birth (New Testament), so it's not surprising the issue had to be delt with. But as I was saying I don't think that the "hard line" is so necessary. Something I find interesting is that the word that is translated "spirit" in both the Hebrew (OT) and Greek (NT) is really the word for "breath". So a man's spirit was his breath... Not quite the clear distinction we have today. Another example: The idea of Jesus being God and Man only presents itself as a duality for the one who wants to deny either His divinity or His humanity, to me Jesus is a demonstration of "oneness". I guess that what I'm saying is that the hard "duality" that you are describing is more a result of modern thinking than Biblical teaching. At the same time, the Bible does not describe the same "oneness" that I understand to be taught in some eastern phillosophies... I guess I'd say it's either somewhere in between, or unlike both of them.

As far as the "life lives on life" issue: I would think that that would be a problem for the "oneness" phillosophies as well, but since I don't know then that well I'll just leave it at that. The first thing I see in the Christian Faith relating to that subject is that man (as I understand it) originally lived off of the produce of a garden, which I don't think anyone needs to feel guilty about. What the animal kingdom looked like at the time I have no idea. (If you haven't figured out, I take the Genesis story somewhat litteraly. It wouldn't really bother me to find out it was more of a metaphore, but really it makes as much sense to me "as is" as anything esle I've ever heard, so I tend to just proceed under the assumtion of it's truth. But that is a whole subject on its own.) After the sin of man, the result was that death (and I think possibly the laws of entropy and decay), and a system where things were in competition and. Of course this raises the quesiton of how a good God could allow such a system, but I would be much remiss to try to get into that here... But that IMO would be how the Christian Faith would begin to deal with the whole idea. Push me out on this if you'd like to, I haven't thought it through too much yet. Smile

About Biblical wisdom: Acutally I find that the Bible is very helpful to me in describing the human condition, and most accurate I have seen. It is one of the things that makes the Bible so credible to me. I believe that the Bible describes who we were, what we are, who we want to be, what we will be(to some degree), how we should relate, what we need, and what changes us for the best.

That last one (what changes us) is a very important one to me, and one that I believe can be experienced and witnessed. I would say it is one of the two biggest reasons for my "enthusiasm". And the second reason is that I am convinced from what I have seen and know that the basic "meta-narrative" (story) of the Christian Faith is actually true, and truth is very precious to me. Smile

Once again, I welcome any comments or questions. I certainly don't have it all figured out, and I have been known to be wrong from time to time. Wink
NeitherExtreme

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:27 pm
@boagie,
A few thoughts I had after my last post...

boagie wrote:
How does the Christian faith deal with the reality that life lives on life, big fish eats little fish, this was a problem even for primative man, he felt quilty for killing his fellow creatures and so introduced rituals to deal with the guilt.

Just a question, not an argument: In your scenerio, why did people begin to use animal-killing-rituals to get rid of his own guilt? (As I understood it, you were saying that he made the rituals to deal with the guilt of killing the animal, so why would more killing get rid of guilt in other areas of life.) And second question I just had, why do you think man felt guilt in the first place? I personally think the animal sacrifice thing is a built-in instinct in humans that know that we don't act as we should (or usually even as we think we should), and that something will take the discipline for it (and we don't want it to be us). Once again, this could quickly take us to topic of "How could a good God....", but that's just a beast in and of itself which I will leave alone for now.

And to explain a little about what I believe about animal sacrifice in the Old Testament: As far as I can understand, the actual sacrifice was never what covered the sin, but was a petition to God. And for what it's worth the Isrealites were a shepherding culture that lived off of livestock, so I think a sacrifice of an animal would have been seen more as a giving up of a material possesion than as an act of cruelty since it was so much a part of their culture.
boagie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 08:39 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile "meta-narrative" (story) of the Christian Faith you say you believe, you believe a literal interpretation? If so, you must ignore not only a great deal of common sense, but a great deal of the modern sciences as well. You are however well dug-in. I have friends that are likewise unmoveable, but unlike you, they are not open to disscussion. "The Truth Is One,The Sages Speak Of It By Many Names."Upanishads. I remember a line I thought was very powerful, when an old Zen Buddhist was asked, "What is your theology?" He replied, I think we don't have a theology, we dance.
boagie

Reply Tue 27 Nov, 2007 09:04 pm
@NeitherExtreme,
NeitherExtreme wrote:
A few thoughts I had after my last post...

Just a question, not an argument: In your scenerio, why did people begin to use animal-killing-rituals to get rid of his own guilt? (As I understood it, you were saying that he made the rituals to deal with the guilt of killing the animal, so why would more killing get rid of guilt in other areas of life.) And second question I just had, why do you think man felt guilt in the first place? I personally think the animal sacrifice thing is a built-in instinct in humans that know that we don't act as we should (or usually even as we think we should), and that something will take the discipline for it (and we don't want it to be us). Once again, this could quickly take us to topic of "How could a good God....", but that's just a beast in and of itself which I will leave alone for now.

And to explain a little about what I believe about animal sacrifice in the Old Testament: As far as I can understand, the actual sacrifice was never what covered the sin, but was a petition to God. And for what it's worth the Isrealites were a shepherding culture that lived off of livestock, so I think a sacrifice of an animal would have been seen more as a giving up of a material possesion than as an act of cruelty since it was so much a part of their culture.

Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile Actually the nature of the ritual was of course a myth inacted, they told themselves that they were releasing the spirit of the animal to return to the spirit world. They saw this preforming of the ritual as essential to a cycle of birth and death. They believed that if the animal was not treat properly, example, given a ritual, then it would not return to offer itself up to them in the future to become their life. The main animal or food animal of a primative/elementary culture was a sacred animal, example, for the plains indian it was the buffalo, to the indians of the west coast it was the salmon. Through this ritual they saw themselves as fulfilling the law of nature-------life lives on life. They did not as modern man does, see the animal as lower form of life, indeed sometimes they might have thought it superior in that it could do what man himself could not--------example fly! If you think by only eating vegetables you get out of this situation you do not, it is still life living on the life of another. I hope that answers to your question.Smile
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 28 Nov, 2007 05:48 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
You are however well dug-in.

I guess we have at least one thing in common! Wink

boagie wrote:
"meta-narrative" (story) of the Christian Faith you say you believe, you believe a literal interpretation? If so, you must ignore not only a great deal of common sense, but a great deal of the modern sciences as well. You are however well dug-in. I have friends that are likewise unmoveable, but unlike you, they are not open to disscussion. "The Truth Is One,The Sages Speak Of It By Many Names."Upanishads. I remember a line I thought was very powerful, when an old Zen Buddhist was asked, "What is your theology?" He replied, I think we don't have a theology, we dance.

I'd say that I believe a much more literal interpretation than you would probably think is reasonable, but maybe not literal enough for some hard-line fundamentalists out there. I feel kind of out of place most places I go. :rolleyes:

But yes, I do believe the basic story laid out in the Bible, though I try not to fill in gaps or over-interprete(?) and then cling to the stuff I made up. Here's a little bit of why I'd say I believe, not to force it on you, but so that you can know where I'm coming from:

-If I had to guess I would think that life on earth is only 6-10 thousand years old (though I wouldn't hang my faith on that).
-I believe that life was created in a "grown-up" form, not by evolution.(Whether that life looked exactly as life does now is another question...)
-God has actually interacted with both people and matter (miracles) in order to fulfill His purposes.
-There is a spiritual dimension that includes other beings (good and bad) that were created by God, that Jesus was God "in human clothes".
-After death we (in some form or another) continue to live.
-God will fix (or redeem) all things in the end (which will include the reward of good and the punishment of bad).
-Another part of the story that I think many people have missed is that God has effectively "hid" Himself to some degree (what else would it mean for Him to "reveal" Himself unless He were first hidden?)
-Also I believe that God is all-powerful, all-good, and all-knowing.
-I believe that God rewards those that earnestly seek Him.

I know that that's a lot to swallow, and I'd be grateful if you'd assume that nothing in the list above has made it there "just because", but that it has been (successfully or not) sifted and questioned, doubted and now believed. Of course I welcome questions, debates, and challenges. In fact that was really one of the things that I was looking for when I found this forum. I've spent years questioning, debating, and doubting myself and I figured that it was time for someone else to do some of that for me, and I have very much enjoyed my time here so far. Smile

And for what it's worth, I personally don't find that I "must ignore not only a great deal of common sense, but a great deal of the modern sciences" to believe any of the things stated above. Actually the part I have had the hardest time with is the "God is all-good" part, though I have come to a certain level of acceptance with it. (I won't go into that here unless you're interested.) As far as "modern science", I haven't been presented with much that has really challenged my beliefs. :confused: Evolution seems (from the logical side of me) to be nothing more than a house of cards that supports the world-view of modern scientists. I think its pretty clear that science throughout history has been fitted to the world-view of the scientist, and I don't know why we should assume otherwise today, and I don't feel that I've been presented with any facts that can not be very reasonably re-interpreted (and sometimes more reasonably interpreted IMO) to agree with the Bible story as I understand it.

While we're on the subject, a very broad (but very convincing to me) "argument" against current "science" and for the "Bible" story could go like this: The Bible story starts with pure energy and order (God), from which there comes an organized universe, which continues to decay to become what we know today. The Science story begins with nothing, from which comes complete disorganization, which continues to organize into what we see today. Just given these two scenerios, and the general laws of physics and nature as we know them, which one makes more sense? If you don't like either one, that's fine, but I don't feel that I have to be apologetic towards "scientists" for my views. Smile
boagie

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 09:02 am
@NeitherExtreme,
Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile Sorry for the delay in response. Actually I do not think most religious people feel accountable of their views, least of all to rationality. You say your cosomology starts with god and order ect.., while science starts with nothing, and how can the universe be made from nothing. The obvious question is who made god. Actually I have some friends who became born again, one thing is strange to me, when looking at the faith of Islam they do not have any difficulty understanding that these people should not interpret their scripture literally--as in the necessity to kill the infidel. They however take the instructions of the bible to committ genocide for the greater glory of god to be taken literally. I guess it is really true, mythology is the other man's religion.

Smile Christianity is not only the majority sentiment, it is the great oppression. There is no way everyone believes it, but it is political suicide for a politian to state he does not believe, as a matter of fact it is illegal for an atheist to hold office in most states.The president of the United States has stated that atheists are not really Americans. For the average person stateing their lack of belief could mean a lot of domestic social rejection and hostility. America is the funny moronic giant, and the world should be afraid of a moronic giant. There may be differences in the stories of Islamic and Christian faiths but the mode of belief is one and the same, the will to believe is all powerful. The will to believe is there before any instruction in the faith occurs------------ Scary!:eek:

Smile I suppose the innate nature of a will to understand explains the will to believe being in place before the said material to be believed. With this understanding religion has nothing to fear, it should not be afraid of change as it never the less is. The nature of all reality is that it is relational, at one time, the said relation between the story of Christianity and the individual was just that, it related to the life of the individual in the individuals context of two thousand years ago. That story being two thousand years old, is unchanged by any knowledge aquired in the last two thousand years, we are asked to accept the science of two thousand years ago. The atheist, the agnostic, just wishes his fellow citizen to break his trance long enough to realize people have a right to their own beliefs and disbeliefs. Christianity is, like Islam, a self proclaimed world religion, indicating the totalitarian nature of the mind set, this alone should indicate the nature of its affront to individual, independent thought.
dpmartin

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 11:51 am
@Ciana5,
Boagie
this may have a mass of typeo sorry.

Well lets take a look at atheist governing. Nazis were a atheist philosophy they brought the world in to war for not letting them rule. Oh yes there's the USSR who murdered, by starvation, 10 mill. Of there own people with no remorse what so ever. I know from a friend who went to visit family after the iron curtain fell and when they spoke of government they would whisper, even in there own homes.

If the Christian majority is so awful why can you speak against it and not go to jail, or worse like atheist governments do. China is still of an atheist philosophy and only getting softer for economic gain from and country that is, dare I say Christian majority.

Last I checked no one is running from oppression in this country, could that be because of a Christian majority. No one has to be hungry or without a roof especially if with children. Yes some fall through the cracks but most of them are offered care through dare I say Christian organizations or ones that were. Is not welfare the result of a Christian majority. I don't see that in atheist based gov's. There are an estimated 10 mill illegal aliens in the USA, could that be because their countries suck? Don't we look the other way for their sake so they may also work and eat? And the majority of this country is what? Most hospitals were started in this country by dare I say churches, and in those days no one denied you care because of money. But now all of that is dominated by corporations.

If a notable Christian commits a hideous crime he is publically brutalized by the media, but if a atheist dose the same, no one notices, is it because it's not expected of him feel obligated to and higher power then his own free will, why is that?
Is there any other country that went to war with itself motivated by freedom for those that served them. The reasons it started may have been different but the public was motivated by the injustice of slavery and the majority of the public was what?

Martin Luther King was a what? And that freedom was preached where? I am sorry, I don't see the history of atheist doing such things.
The constitution itself is based on what? Why? Could it be the Christian majority? Because this gov. must answer to the majority. And it still takes care to not hinder the rights of the minority tho not perfect. You could have been born in Iran screaming die for ali. Because if you didn't, they have the legal right in their country to kill you.

If you don't think it's fair to have your beliefs contested in the world, then why don't it bother you to contest mine.
Have a nice day
boagie

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 12:52 pm
@dpmartin,
dpmartin wrote:
Boagie
this may have a mass of typeo sorry.

Well lets take a look at atheist governing. Nazis were a atheist philosophy they brought the world in to war for not letting them rule. Oh yes there's the USSR who murdered, by starvation, 10 mill. Of there own people with no remorse what so ever. I know from a friend who went to visit family after the iron curtain fell and when they spoke of government they would whisper, even in there own homes.

If the Christian majority is so awful why can you speak against it and not go to jail, or worse like atheist governments do. China is still of an atheist philosophy and only getting softer for economic gain from and country that is, dare I say Christian majority.

Last I checked no one is running from oppression in this country, could that be because of a Christian majority. No one has to be hungry or without a roof especially if with children. Yes some fall through the cracks but most of them are offered care through dare I say Christian organizations or ones that were. Is not welfare the result of a Christian majority. I don't see that in atheist based gov's. There are an estimated 10 mill illegal aliens in the USA, could that be because their countries suck? Don't we look the other way for their sake so they may also work and eat? And the majority of this country is what? Most hospitals were started in this country by dare I say churches, and in those days no one denied you care because of money. But now all of that is dominated by corporations.

If a notable Christian commits a hideous crime he is publically brutalized by the media, but if a atheist dose the same, no one notices, is it because it's not expected of him feel obligated to and higher power then his own free will, why is that?
Is there any other country that went to war with itself motivated by freedom for those that served them. The reasons it started may have been different but the public was motivated by the injustice of slavery and the majority of the public was what?

Martin Luther King was a what? And that freedom was preached where? I am sorry, I don't see the history of atheist doing such things.
The constitution itself is based on what? Why? Could it be the Christian majority? Because this gov. must answer to the majority. And it still takes care to not hinder the rights of the minority tho not perfect. You could have been born in Iran screaming die for ali. Because if you didn't, they have the legal right in their country to kill you.

If you don't think it's fair to have your beliefs contested in the world, then why don't it bother you to contest mine.
Have a nice day

dpmartin,Smile

Smile You surprized me dpmartin, I would have thought you would have taken a higher road---Oh well! Not only was Germany a Christian country before and during both world wars,the Nazi party was not indeed an atheist organization, in fact Hitler stressed the need of steadfast believers in God. The Catholic church and the Nazi party had an understanding, you don't bother us and we won't bother you---they were all good Christians!

Smile As far as Stalin goes he did not do his evil deeds in the name of atheism. The religious on the other hand often justify their atrocities as the work of god. Tell me dpmartin, how many sides in a war can god be on at the same time?

As far as the Christian majority being awful, tell me why an atheist cannot hold office in nearly every state in the union. Why would a f---king president say that atheists are not even Americans, the same reason he says he is channeling God--he is crazy or manipulating the crazy. The awful majority would not be nearly as awful if they truely practiced the tolerance of their candy-ass faith.

Smile By the way, China is not a philosophy its a country. So dpmartin, Christians are so good that they should have the right to suppress whoever they like? You are a typical hell and brimstone kind'a guy aren't you dpmartin. Didn't the statements of the presidential canadidates make your stomach turn, believers everyone one Tiny Tim. {admin delete two sentences}.

Smile I am not asking the majority to come over to atheism or agnosticism, just get your foot of the neck of others. You wish political power, well stand ready to take the lumps those who are power hungry have always indured. You have an example of what that political power in hand would look like, in the Islamic world. As far has being able to speak freely without being killed by the Christian majority, be sure to pass my gratitude on won't you, tommorow it might be a different story if Christianity gains the power it would like to.
0 Replies

dpmartin

Reply Fri 30 Nov, 2007 07:12 pm
@Ciana5,
Boagie

"You surprized me dpmartin, I would have thought you would have taken a higher road"

I have to give you a freebee at lest once an a while.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Tue 4 Dec, 2007 09:32 pm
@Ciana5,
This forum was locked due to a reported post. It is now unlocked.
0 Replies

NeitherExtreme

Reply Wed 5 Dec, 2007 01:16 pm
@boagie,
First, Thanks Justin for unlocking this thread! Smile I have been enjoying it very much.

boagie wrote:
Neitherextreme,Smile

Smile Sorry for the delay in response. Actually I do not think most religious people feel accountable of their views, least of all to rationality. You say your cosomology starts with god and order ect.., while science starts with nothing, and how can the universe be made from nothing. The obvious question is who made god. Actually I have some friends who became born again, one thing is strange to me, when looking at the faith of Islam they do not have any difficulty understanding that these people should not interpret their scripture literally--as in the necessity to kill the infidel. They however take the instructions of the bible to committ genocide for the greater glory of god to be taken literally. I guess it is really true, mythology is the other man's religion.

Smile Christianity is not only the majority sentiment, it is the great oppression. There is no way everyone believes it, but it is political suicide for a politian to state he does not believe, as a matter of fact it is illegal for an atheist to hold office in most states.The president of the United States has stated that atheists are not really Americans. For the average person stateing their lack of belief could mean a lot of domestic social rejection and hostility. America is the funny moronic giant, and the world should be afraid of a moronic giant. There may be differences in the stories of Islamic and Christian faiths but the mode of belief is one and the same, the will to believe is all powerful. The will to believe is there before any instruction in the faith occurs------------ Scary!:eek:

Smile I suppose the innate nature of a will to understand explains the will to believe being in place before the said material to be believed. With this understanding religion has nothing to fear, it should not be afraid of change as it never the less is. The nature of all reality is that it is relational, at one time, the said relation between the story of Christianity and the individual was just that, it related to the life of the individual in the individuals context of two thousand years ago. That story being two thousand years old, is unchanged by any knowledge aquired in the last two thousand years, we are asked to accept the science of two thousand years ago. The atheist, the agnostic, just wishes his fellow citizen to break his trance long enough to realize people have a right to their own beliefs and disbeliefs. Christianity is, like Islam, a self proclaimed world religion, indicating the totalitarian nature of the mind set, this alone should indicate the nature of its affront to individual, independent thought.

(A quick response to the science part: I don't start with nothing, I start with God who (I beleive) exists outside of Time/Space, and is in general to wonderful to comprehend. That said, I don't expect scientists to start there, but I think it would be only rational for them to start from the assumtion that the Universe as we know it can not explain itself, and must not be a closed system.)

Boagie, to respond to your post I'm going to have to walk a very fine balance. I believe what you bring up is fair and reasonable, and I hope that respond in such a way that I am accountable for my beliefs. Smile First, what I very strongly DO NOT want to do, is call what is evil good, or even to sweep it under the rug and return with attacks. What is wrong is wrong, and I don't want to find myself making excuses for anyone (including myself). And throughout Christian history there are indeed many ugly acts of injustice and oppression, some of which continue today. The crusades, Germany's cooperation with Hitler, slavery in the USA, and others haunt (IMO) the history of Christendom. (To make my life easier I'm going to use the word "Christendom" to mean either the Church as a whole, or specifically those in power within it.)

But now the other side of the coin: As far as I can see, people everywhere and throughout all time have used their personal beliefs, or the beliefs of others, in destructive, oppressive, and self-promoting ways. Sad This, I believe, is a Human problem, not just a Christian problem. All the major belief systems I can think of have been used this way: Christianity, Hinduism, Islam, Animism, etc. And Athieism is not exempt, the Soviet Union and China show that on a large scale. I think its a Human problem, from nations to families, people use their beliefs to justify evil committed against another person. I don't think that this general rule directly proves a flaw in anyones beliefs, but instead shows a flaw with humanity; it is self-centered (selfish), which is the opposite of compassion IMO.

Now back to the story of Christendom in particular... I want to look at the three examples (that I mentioned) of Christendom's utter failures and look at what the individuals were doing who were putting their Christian Faith to use.

-In the time of the Crusades, there were people (mostly Anabaptists) who refused to be a part of them and said that they would never kill a "Turk". For this and other "offences" of not being a part of the (as they saw it) corrupt Church Empire, they were persecuted in many ways, even to torture and death. In fact, it was this persecution of the Anabaptists that brought my ancestors to America. If you look in Anabaptist circles, you will still find the strong influence of pacifism. (Though for what it's worth, I think they've taken it to a bit of an extreme, but at least they're not hurting anbody...)
-During the Holocaust, individual Christians risked their lives to protect the innocent people from going to concentration camps. Sometimes they ended up in the camps themselves, and sometimes were killed.
-During the days of salavery in the USA, while some people (who were obviously monetarily motivated) used the Bible to excuse it, there were others who were risking themeselves to aid the slave through the Underground Railroad.
-(For what it's worth, I don't think that Christians are the only ones who have done good things, Ghandi being an easy example). Smile

So I think that a distinction has to be made (for everyone, Christians and athiests included) between the use of beliefs to justify wrongness (can I call it sin?), and the actual attempt of living by those beliefs. And it is in functioning in this way that Christianity reflects Christ. He Himself (as I understand it) suffered and died at the hands of the religious because He was bringing the message that God had always intended to bring, and stood against the oppression of the "Christendom" (Religious leaders) of the day.

As far as moder USA and Christian oppression goes, I again don't want to disregard what is happening wrong (and there are wong things happening), but I think that your post sounded a little bit weighted if you look at the bigger picture... In the USA it is hard for an athiest to win an election because the majority (whether from good motives or not) want a more "religious" person (even thought they are often corrupt annyway). But at least this is because it is the will of the majority, and it could change... I think places like the old Soviet Union and China, not to mention all the little dictatorships, are/were many times more oppressive to anyone outside the mandated way of thinking. (Again, this is not to say that smaller oppression is ok, I'm just saying that there is worse...) And for what its worth, a lot of Christians throughout history have faced injustice as well, in fact it began in the face of incredable oppression (via Rome and it's thinking) and many early Christians lost their lives (often not defending their own) for their beliefs. And if you think that athiests in America are oppressed (and I'm not saying they aren't), you should trying being a Christian in Sudan...

Also, maybe to help you understand why some Christians in America can't see your side: As I'm sure you know, America started out a very "religious" country, and as time has continued, the "religious" have slowly lost more and more power over the country. So even though they could arguably still be the most powerful part of the country, they have felt the loss and aren't happy about it. And there are deffinetly places in America where being religious (and a Christian especially) is not popular... But I really don't think that arguing over who has it worse is of much use, as both side get heated and upset about what they see as the other side infringing on their rights. I think it is much better to try to understand each other and see how much grace and leeway you can give to the other, though of course there will be issues that can not be agreed opon. And when that happens in America, whether right or wrong , the majority usually wins...:rolleyes:

Just to finish up this post: It seems to me like you have had some issues with Christianity (or Christians), and possibly you've felt like they've stepped on your toes, or disregarded you in general. You at least feel oppressed by the system as it is, and that there are people who will not accept you because you won't blindly agree with what they want you to believe... I guess my point is that you may have very valid reasons for you frustration (anger?) toward Christians, and this post is not meant to turn a blind eye to them... And for what its worth, and if one Christian can appologize for another, I'm sorry. Sad I hope that you can find some Christians that will be good examples of Christ. Smile
0 Replies