[Anselm]That God truly exists

Solace

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:22 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:
Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil. Adam and Eve did not think of reality in terms of some things being good and others evil until they ate the fruit. Remember that a popular theology in early religion was that of duality: see Zoroastrianism, a battle between Good and Evil. Genesis is a rejection of this theology, in favor of a theology of following God.

I'm going to have to look more into Zoroastrianism and this stuff about duality in order to be able to make a comment about it. Personally, I read the book somewhat simplistically, I suppose, and try to get out of it what I can.

Quote:

What's wrong with atheism?

I don't think I said anywhere, in this thread at least, that there is anything wrong with atheism. In fact, if one who doesn't know me from other threads were to read some of my posts in this thread they might mistake me for an atheist. And obviously I have no real qualm with that, since I've not gone out of my way to clarify that I am not... before now that is.
0 Replies

Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:36 pm
@Solace,
The passage supports free will, or at least the notion that man is free to act.

"For the creation was subjected to futility, not of its own will, but because of Him who subjected it, in hope that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God."

Being subject to futility describes the human condition - this does not suggest that man lacks free will.
Solace

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:38 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Sorry, but when I see, "subject to" anything, and "not of its own will," I tend to think that free will has somehow been compromised.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:44 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Sorry, but when I see, "subject to" anything, and "not of its own will," I tend to think that free will has somehow been compromised.

Right, it's not of our own will. But consider: the color of your eye is not something you can control, but typically this is not seen as a compromise of free will. Free will can only apply to something over which the will has control. The will has no control over the futility of life: no act of the will can give meaning to life.
Solace

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2009 11:56 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
This interpretation of this passage really bugs me... umm... if life is futile, then what is the meaning of it anyway?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:00 am
@Solace,
Life isn't futile: in Jesus (God) there is meaning, as the Chapter suggests.
Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:08 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Okay, here's another issue with this passage... if we're going to assume that it advocates free will somehow, or, at least, doesn't oppose free will... doesn't "will be set free" also suggest that whatever is happening to the creation/creature (whichever) is not something that the subject is in control of? If someone/something else (let's just say God maybe...) has both subjected the creation, and is to set it free, how then is any of this creation's fate in its own hands? Wherein do we find free will?
0 Replies

hue-man

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:57 am
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:
Notionally, anything can exist. Therefore, regardless what notion of "God" someone believes, it exists to them.

That's not what you're looking for, though. You're looking for scientific proof. Proof that you're not going to find. But, if you're really adamant about this, I'd like you to scientifically prove these concepts first: "City", "Government", "Country".

You'll have the same trouble. Why? Because these are notions we've constructed. There is no physical "Country" that abides by the scientific method, yet you may not have the same angst towards that word. How does "Country" fit into your positivism?

I'm really curious as to why it's less valid to you.

Why am I just as likely not to find proof of the existence of God, as I am likely not to find proof for the existence of magical elves? Religious people make claims about the cosmos and reality that either directly object to what we know through science, or are completely unfounded.

If the thought of something is just as credible as the physical existence of something, then by that logic, insanity is defensible. Delusions are not reality. If someone claims that their God hates homosexuals, and wants them stoned, even though they have no evidence for the existence of their God, and according to you, the idea is enough, then they are completely justified in making such unethical claims. By this logic, a parent is also justified in not taking their children to the hospital, opting to pray instead, thus enabling the death of their child, because the idea is enough. I can go on and on with this, but it's getting kind of tired now. My point is that unjustified, irrational beliefs are just that.

Words like city, government, and country are subject to the social sciences, not the natural sciences.
hue-man

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 10:17 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Yes, very serious. And I'm aware of the contents of the Bible.

Theologians are not claiming that the Bible is figurative because of modernity: the exact opposite is true. Biblical literalism is a modern development; historically, theologians have read the Bible figurative - again, you could check up on Anselm for an example, or Aquinas, or any other prominent theologian. I've already explained this, remember?

I mention theologians because we are talking about interpretations of God and that's what theologians study: God. If you want examples of what people believe, you look to theologians.

Most believers and theologians believe that God is all powerful, all knowing and so forth - but most theologians do not believe that God is literally all powerful, all knowing and so forth: they take these descriptions are figurative. Your arguments take these descriptions to be literal. Thus your arguments do not address the God of many, if not most, theists.

Historically, they debated the divinity of Jesus. The stories of Jesus from the Bible are mythology, not history.

As for the Catholic Church: I already said that Catholic dogma has been, since day one, that scripture is not to be read literally. The Catholic aggression towards other faiths was not due to a literal reading of scripture.
You have essentially the same resource as I, educate yourself:
Religion News: Vatican knocks fundamental, literal reading of the Bible

Ask yourself some critical questions: the Bible never speaks of Purgatory, yet Purgatory has been Catholic dogma for centuries. How could Catholics justify Purgatory in their cosmology if it isn't in the Bible? They do not read the Bible literally.

I never said such a thing, did I?

Which authors?
Anyway, I'd recommend you study the book before you try to suggest that the authors were primitive in any way, shape, or form.

No offense taken.

Sure we have physical experiences of God, and no, we cannot prove it. To understand this claim, you would have to understand what is meant by "God". Looking at the arguments you level against God, I'm doubtful that you understand the concept at all. Not that I'm particularly adept myself, but none the less.

It's logical if Zeus corresponds to your experience of the world, and if that understanding does not contain a logical contradiction.

Your claims that theists no longer take theists beliefs literally is just false. Catholic followers no longer believe that Jesus was really historical, and performed supernatural miracles? George Bush really didn't think that he received some type of council from God? The survey that shows that many Americans believe that Jesus will return within the next 50 years and usher in the rapture? Hindus really don't believe that a little girls born with additional limbs was the reincarnation of one of their deities? Christians really don't believe that Moses parted the red sea? They really don't believe that they're going to heaven or hell when they die? Christians didn't start believing in the divinity of Jesus until recently?

The Old Testaments commands to stone homosexuals, non-believers, and adulterers sounds pretty literal to me. Can you reinterpret that for me?

"I never said such a thing, did I?"

You said that Catholics no longer take the bible myths literally, when they clearly do! If they were to claim that Jesus was not divine they would lose their authority.

A variety of Christian churches have made attempts to adapt to modern times, by reinterpreting scripture for their fitting. The best examples of this are the theological movements of Unitarianism, and Universalism. The Catholic Church, dogmatic as it is, has also tried to change its views to adapt to changing times. They do this because they know that if they don't they risk bringing about the extinction of the religion itself. When religions become too outdated many followers will leave it behind, and once it becomes an afterthought by the current generation, it will eventually be consciously, or unconsciously abandoned by the later generations.

Christian mythology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Roman Catholic Church - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Christian theology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
0 Replies

Zetherin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:24 am
@hue-man,
hue-man,

I completely see where you're coming from, and it's definitely a very interesting topic.

While I feel that everyone should have the 'right' to believe in any notion of any "God" they choose, ethics definitely becomes an issue. This transcends religion and any notion of "God", boiling down to morality. It's known that morality, culture to culture, individual to individual, differs, sometimes diametrically. The question then is, who's right is right? Who's wrong is wrong? To create a universal ethical code seems a bit arrogant and pretentious, to me; how can we place one belief system over another?. Michael Picard put it rather nicely: "The relativity of values appears to force us into a dilemma: dictatorship or anarchy; absolutism or nihilism."

And don't think that "God" believing people are the only ones that can be irrational. Many people act on what could be considered misplaced self-righteousness, even without believing in any figure you deem to be illogical.

My philosophy is live and let live, but I do know there may be times in my life I will most definitely have to contradict myself. That seems to be the nature of this game, but I'm always open to new suggestions.

What are your thoughts?
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 03:38 pm
@Zetherin,
hue-man wrote:
Your claims that theists no longer take theists beliefs literally is just false. Catholic followers no longer believe that Jesus was really historical, and performed supernatural miracles? George Bush really didn't think that he received some type of council from God? The survey that shows that many Americans believe that Jesus will return within the next 50 years and usher in the rapture? Hindus really don't believe that a little girls born with additional limbs was the reincarnation of one of their deities? Christians really don't believe that Moses parted the red sea? They really don't believe that they're going to heaven or hell when they die? Christians didn't start believing in the divinity of Jesus until recently?

I never claimed that all theists read scripture figuratively. Instead, I claimed that if you look at the history of theology, literal reading of scripture is a relatively modern development.

hue-man wrote:
The Old Testaments commands to stone homosexuals, non-believers, and adulterers sounds pretty literal to me. Can you reinterpret that for me?

Show me the passages and I'll do what I can. But really, I would suggest reading what actual theologians say about these passages.

hue-man wrote:
"I never said such a thing, did I?"

You said that Catholics no longer take the bible myths literally, when they clearly do! If they were to claim that Jesus was not divine they would lose their authority.

I did not say that Catholics no longer read scripture literally; some Catholics do read scripture literally. I said that the dogma of the Catholic Church has always claimed that scripture is not literal.

hue-man wrote:
A variety of Christian churches have made attempts to adapt to modern times, by reinterpreting scripture for their fitting. The best examples of this are the theological movements of Unitarianism, and Universalism. The Catholic Church, dogmatic as it is, has also tried to change its views to adapt to changing times. They do this because they know that if they don't they risk bringing about the extinction of the religion itself. When religions become too outdated many followers will leave it behind, and once it becomes an afterthought by the current generation, it will eventually be consciously, or unconsciously abandoned by the later generations.

Right, most Churches have done this. Some new churches have emerged, like the Unitarian Church. Most of the theological adaptations to modernity come from churches who demand that scripture be read literally. Historically, literal reading of scripture is the result of modernity, not the figurative reading of scripture.
I would suggest Karen Armstrong's A History of God as a brief and insightful account of this process of theological development.

Solace wrote:
Okay, here's another issue with this passage... if we're going to assume that it advocates free will somehow, or, at least, doesn't oppose free will... doesn't "will be set free" also suggest that whatever is happening to the creation/creature (whichever) is not something that the subject is in control of? If someone/something else (let's just say God maybe...) has both subjected the creation, and is to set it free, how then is any of this creation's fate in its own hands? Wherein do we find free will?

Great question. Setting aside questions about free will; we'll just assume that free will is short hand for man's ability to act freely.

In this case, free will comes into play because it is up to man to be set free: God gives the opportunity, by sending Jesus, but it is up to the individual to embrace Jesus.
Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Quote:

Great question. Setting aside questions about free will; we'll just assume that free will is short hand for man's ability to act freely.

In this case, free will comes into play because it is up to man to be set free: God gives the opportunity, by sending Jesus, but it is up to the individual to embrace Jesus.

Embracing Jesus would, naturally, require believing in Jesus, and we could get into the whole discussion about whether or not belief is actually a choice.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:36 pm
@Solace,
Depends what you mean by belief. One need not believe, historically, in Jesus in order to embrace his teachings. Even more abstract, we might say that it isn't the figure Jesus, but the message of Jesus (compassion and self sacrifice) that one must embrace regardless of where we find this message.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:50 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Depends what you mean by belief. One need not believe, historically, in Jesus in order to embrace his teachings. Even more abstract, we might say that it isn't the figure Jesus, but the message of Jesus (compassion and self sacrifice) that one must embrace regardless of where we find this message.

In this case, saying you believe in "Jesus" can most definitely be misleading, though I do understand what you're saying. Instead, I find it more useful to just state, specifically, what teachings (of whatever belief system) we choose to embrace. It helps to shed more insight, and create an environment that is usually a lot more forgiving due to the absence of ignorant preconceived notions.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:53 pm
@Zetherin,
I was trying to answer Solace's questions about Romans in the context of the Christian tradition. Though my responses were sloppy, I wanted to keep them in context because the passage in question is specifically Christian scripture.
Zetherin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:54 pm
@Solace,
Solace wrote:
Embracing Jesus would, naturally, require believing in Jesus, and we could get into the whole discussion about whether or not belief is actually a choice.

I'd like to see a thread concerning this, actually. Care to make one?
Zetherin

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 04:57 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I was trying to answer Solace's questions about Romans in the context of the Christian tradition. Though my responses were sloppy, I wanted to keep them in context because the passage in question is specifically Christian scripture.

I understand, I just had an inkling that there was too much pressure on the notion of "Jesus" rather than the actual underlying beliefs one may even take away from his teachings. It wasn't meant to be directed to you specifically (even though I did quote you Smile) It was kinda just talking out loud for clarification.
0 Replies

Khethil

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:06 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Good idea, I started one a while ago where my basic assertion was that with honesty and critical thinking, belief is a place where led to - not something that's consciously chosen (Link Here)

Apologies for the OT Reply
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 05:32 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:

True enough DT, and I recall another thread that discussed this very topic recently. Yet, one must admit that embracing Jesus, for whatever meaning we would attach to such a concept, must require belief of some sort, belief in his teachings if nothing else. So the point remains...

Perhaps, though, this would all fit better in Khethil's thread. He apologized for posting OT, but we started that long before he added to this thread, lol.
0 Replies

Solace

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
@Zetherin,
Zetherin wrote:

Refer to the link Khethil provided. I've already gone there and asked a question that is along the lines of what we were talking about here.