Doing it the hard way!

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 10:21 am
Hi, everyone. I'm checking in through my public library and thought I'd let those who may be interested in our progress with our off-grid home plans (new years resolution thread.) Well, we are officially off-grid, however, it wasn't quite how we planned it.

We had just completed moving about half our stuff the 130 miles to the new location and we were still "living" at our old place when we got a call informing us that the "new" house we were moving to had just burned down. We drove there that night and with flash lights moved/salvaged what we could from the wreckage to a separate garage. Surprisingly, even though the house was a total loss, most of our "good stuff" survived (books, etc.)--aside from smelling like smoke. The fire department had to cut the electrical supply line from the utility pole, which shorted and caused the fire.

On the drive back that night I told my wife "well, we wanted to be off the grid." She wasn't amused.

We are fine, and things will work out in the long run, however, it's going to take longer than I planned. I'm considering creating a blog to document our progress on this little adventure.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 684 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Justin

Reply Tue 3 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm
@chad3006,
What a turn of events. We're certainly happy to hear that you are ok and that many of your belongings made it out... You are now certainly off grid. Smile

Thanks for keeping us posted. The blog... I intend on spending some more time on the forum and adding a place for users to blog. I feel this is important. I'll try to get this done very soon.
chad3006

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 11:28 am
@Justin,
Well, after months of delays, we finally sold our building. In the past few days we've built a temporary chicken coop from an old dog kennel, mowed around the barns and other structures to reduce the risk of a snake bite (they are everywhere this year), and worked on the windmill (but so far no wind to check the repairs). Bottled water will have to suffice for now. We used a solar panel, RV battery, and an inverter to shave the burrs and sticks out of our little dog's fur. We still cannot remove the burned house as of yet. We are waiting for a "release" from the power company and a report from the fire department. We are very tired of waiting for other people to get their act together.
0 Replies

Justin

Reply Wed 22 Aug, 2007 10:48 pm
@chad3006,
Just going over these threads and wanted to check in with you. Please update us on the housing situation. I hadn't had much time this summer to work on setting up the blogs but I'll be at it again this fall. Hope everything is OK with your situation.
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Thu 23 Aug, 2007 12:51 pm
@chad3006,
Well things haven't progressed much. The power company still hasn't "released" the house, they say maybe Sept 5th. We had planned on renovating the A-frame part of the house as it wasn't seriously damaged, but if the "release" is delayed much more I'm not sure it will be worth the wait. I've ordered all of our solar equipment and all but the solar panels and the tracking mount for the panels is in. The panels are scheduled to be in today in fact. I just got word that a friend who owns Sitars Etc. died last night. I had been doing sitar repairs for him for about two years and had planned to continue that, but I don't know what will become of it all now.

On the positive side, I'm working part time for the bank I used to work for. It's a small, independently owned bank that has a great staff who are fun to work with. Also, our pond (it's a large one) is brimming with koi fish. My wife turned some loose in it about two years ago without many expectations, but they have thrived. We enjoy feeding them and watching them. Our ducks, geese and chickens are enjoying the place. We've lost only a few to raccoons. I bought a good used motor home to live in for the moment. I got a great deal on it too. Oh yeah, the windmill works!
chad3006

Reply Sun 2 Sep, 2007 07:41 pm
@chad3006,
The solar panels are up and working! We have electricity! Water is still something of a problem. The windmill is capable of pumping, however, the pipe running from the well to the structure must be plugged or broken somewhere. I'll have to trace down that problem next.
0 Replies

chad3006

Reply Mon 21 Jan, 2008 09:37 am
@chad3006,
A couple of weeks ago I installed a used wood-burning heater (just in time). I've finished the workshop and it's fully insulated too. I've also finished remodeling our RV where we're staying. I've started making a chicken coop out of an old water tank. I think it'll be pretty nice once it's finished.

My uncle gave me an old Minneapolis Moline tractor for which I've acquired some used tires and other necessities for it's relocation. It, of course, is not running, but the engine will turn.

The water is still an issue. We have river water to use for watering plants, washing our hands, etc. But, we're having to transport potable water. I've not located the problem in the windmill line yet.

We've acquired a heard of about 13 goats (last time I counted). The billy is proving to be something of a nuisance because he rams us every chance he gets. Billy goats will do that, but he seems particularly ornery. I think after this breeding season, we'll find another. The billy caused me to have to weld-up a new front gate for the entrance too.

My wife bought herself a horse yesterday. She's had horses before and has been wanting another for a long time. She's been digging up all her old tack today.

I'm really eager to get started on a garden this spring. I can't wait to go fishing either!
0 Replies