Is Prayer The Last Vestige Of Sympathic Magic

boagie

Reply Fri 20 Jul, 2007 07:07 pm
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Well Boagie, it's important that we have everyone here that wishes to participate. Everyone has different beliefs and that's unavoidable. As a Christian, it wouldn't help to spread Christianity if all she did was hang among Christians and I respect that. Actually, many Christians just stay with fellow Christians, and that's no way to build a faith or plant seeds. So I give her credit for being a part of all of this and speaking up. While I may not agree with everything, doesn't make anyone right or wrong. Ultimately we'll find our way.

Justin,Smile

That is perhaps where we differ,you seem to believe that Christians have a right to impose upon others their own mindset,which would be fair enough if they also understood that beliefs with no foundation are fair game particularly at a philosophy site.Claiming the subjective as a sanctuary from which to preach does not cut it,that which is subjective must be proven in the objective world.Only in disneyland can an elephant fly,subjectively it can fly a trans-atlantic flight without refuelling.Christian dogma has it that they used those elephants during the second world war to bomb Berlin.If being nice means not being critical of Christian dogma,you can be assured,I'll not be nice.Smile
Katherine phil

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 07:52 am
@Justin,
Justin wrote:
Which Church?

Talking to God and praying can be two different things. Born again was mentioned 3 times in the new testament and out of the mouth of Jesus only twice in John. Twice in John 3 when talking to Nicodemus where Jesus explained to him, "Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God". Then Peter mentions it once in 1 Peter 23.

As far as my hypocrisy you've accused me of, understand that my words were what I discovered in the Christian faith. I'm not judging all Christians because I'm sure there are some out there that are actually earnestly trying to BE LIKE JESUS. Yet, in my experience I've only found but a few. This is not hypocrisy, this is reality.

Yes you are correct, Jesus did say he was the son of God. He also said that we are Sons of God. He further said that we are also Sons of God. The Church teaches that the Kingdom of God is like the land of milk and honey. On the contrary, the Kingdom of God is within all creation. The difference is the ability to see it, not just hope that someday we will pass on to the other side.

No, I don't believe that Jesus was praying in John 17. John may have written it as a prayer but that was not the character of Jesus to pray out loud, nor did Jesus tell us to do the same.

I've chosen the path that's right for me not because someone has told me to and certainly not because of what the Church has taught me. The truth will be found when it's sought after and it will be found in the still light in the fulcrum of our spirit. True and powerful prayer is something that Jesus showed us, told us about and instructed us on how to do.

So, I'm not picking and choosing anything here.

Boagie, Katherine is fine and we're happy to have her here opening up, nothing wrong with that.

Oooh, I love this post! Lots of meaty discussion here. I don't have time to respond properly now. I will try to get back Monday.

Boagie, I don't know if you didn't understand my post or ?? Your response was angry and not on topic really. Again, there is a lot of emotion driving your position toward Christians. I've been there, too. Even my pastor said the people who have hurt him the most have been Christians. Not because Christians are different, but because I think we tend to be quick to allow ourselves to be vulnerable to people who call themselves Christians without being aware of their level of maturity, and then take a special offense when they act like humans because we expected more. I don't know if that is what happened to you but just be aware we have to get freedom from the emotional baggage before we can pursue something on a truly intellectual level. Smile

And manipulating the laws to not include persons of race, gender or religion is blatant discrimination. Even if they're Christians.
boagie

Reply Sat 21 Jul, 2007 08:12 am
@Katherine phil,
Katherine wrote:
Oooh, I love this post! Lots of meaty discussion here. I don't have time to respond properly now. I will try to get back Monday.

Boagie, I don't know if you didn't understand my post or ?? Your response was angry and not on topic really. Again, there is a lot of emotion driving your position toward Christians. I've been there, too. Even my pastor said the people who have hurt him the most have been Christians. Not because Christians are different, but because I think we tend to be quick to allow ourselves to be vulnerable to people who call themselves Christians without being aware of their level of maturity, and then take a special offense when they act like humans because we expected more. I don't know if that is what happened to you but just be aware we have to get freedom from the emotional baggage before we can pursue something on a truly intellectual level. Smile

And manipulating the laws to not include persons of race, gender or religion is blatant discrimination. Even if they're Christians.

Katherine,:rolleyes:

Well pray tell,where have any laws been manipulated,I think you need to get a grip here Katherine.The nature of this site is dabate,Christian beliefs do not afford anyone special treatment.A Christian talking about a truely intellectual level,where do you imagine this oxy moron might lead?If you wish to play therapist Katherine take it elsewhere.Just state your case Katherine,and you WILL get feedback.:cool:

Comedian Bill Mahers:)
CALLER: "Hi. Well, my question is, the Lord spoke to me approximately three years ago, and if the Lord spoke to you [Maher], I was wondering if you'd become a believer."
MAHER: "No, I'd check into Bellevue, which is what you should do..." :p
0 Replies

JDPhD

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:07 pm
@boagie,
Religion and magic are two different things. Prayer has to contain a certain degree of truth; the more truth the more effective it becomes. Magic on the other hand is something else. The farther you move away from the truth the more effective becomes your magic.
boagie

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:50 pm
@JDPhD,
JDPhD wrote:
Religion and magic are two different things. Prayer has to contain a certain degree of truth; the more truth the more effective it becomes. Magic on the other hand is something else. The farther you move away from the truth the more effective becomes your magic.

JDPhD,Smile

What is this degree of truth you speak of that is the said property of prayer? Magic is defined as any system which attempts to evoke supernatural powers or entities,how indeed does prayer not qualify.What means of measurement have you found in decerning the effectiveness of prayer,you should publish this scientific method in Scientific American and/or the Christian banner.
JDPhD

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:12 am
@boagie,
No, Scientific American is materialistic. We are looking for a science of mind akin to Dr. Russell's.
boagie

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 09:23 am
@JDPhD,
JDPhD wrote:
No, Scientific American is materialistic. We are looking for a science of mind akin to Dr. Russell's.

JDPhD,

What about the said evidence? Forget about publishing just give us the goods!:cool:

HONK IF YOU LOVE JESUS!!:p
Katherine phil

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2007 02:50 pm
@boagie,
Sorry, Justin. It's been a busy week!

Quote:

Yes you are correct, Jesus did say he was the son of God. He also said that we are Sons of God. He further said that we are also Sons of God. The Church teaches that the Kingdom of God is like the land of milk and honey. On the contrary, the Kingdom of God is within all creation. The difference is the ability to see it, not just hope that someday we will pass on to the other side.

Jesus holds a unique role. He said that no one comes to the Father except through Him. That He was in the Father and the Father was in the Son. That those who reject the Son, reject the Father also. That no one knows the Father except the Son. Son here was a capital 'S' and though God was refered to as a Father, the Sonship of Jesus was unique. So unique, He was accused of blasphemy for stating such when language about God as the Father of all was part of their daily life. He also 'forgave sins' when only God can forgive sins. Jesus is the Son of God, a liar or a very confused individual who needed professional help. Only those 3 labels can logically be applied.

Through salvation, by His sacrifice, we also become children of God. THAT'S awesome! But He remains our High Priest and sits at the right hand of the Father--not a place reserved for any of the rest of us 'kids'!

And the Kingdom of God . . . think of it as a dominion more than a location. Kingdom here lets us know that there is an authority issue to sort out. If we are dealing with a Kingdom--aren't we also dealing with a King? To become a part of any kingdom, loyalty and obedience are demanded in exchange for protection and provision. If we live outside of submission to that authority, we live outside the Kingdom.

The Kingdom of God is not 'inside' anything. (It isn't in the clouds for after you die either) It is a matter of dominion. Are we living in the 'dominion' of the world's systems or the 'dominion' of God. We are all born into the dominion of the prince of the world because the world was legally handed over to him. God is a God of justice, so He will not 'steal' it back, but He did purchase it--with the sacrifice of His Son, Jesus. We still live in the kingdom of darkness until we die to ourselves and are resurrected in Jesus. Leaving the ways of the old kingdom behind us that death frees us from the legal rights the world held on us. (A contract is no longer valid when one dies, right?) At our spiritual renewal (born again, saved, regenerated, etc) we receive the gift of our acceptance into the dominion of God through Jesus Christ.

Now I live in the Kingdom of God--in obedience to Him, love for Him and I work for His purposes--not my own!

Quote:

I've chosen the path that's right for me not because someone has told me to and certainly not because of what the Church has taught me.

I would disagree. Your views are very common. More so than true Christianity I would argue because it has invaded the Church on many levels. The doctrine I recognize here is post-modernism mixed with just enough spirituality, but not enough to impact one's life enough to bring the transformation that is promised. Transformation from one kingdom to another. Again, that's through death. Not a casual relationship.

Prayer . . .

Jesus was not really making a rule about prayer, He was calling out people who prayed to gain the praise of other men instead of God. Jesus was teaching us a higher plane of existence, not more rules and restrictions.

An example: A parent tells a child to be honest and not tell a lie. The next minute the child gets in trouble for, with no mal-intent, telling a 400 lb woman she is fat, as children do. Is there a discrepancy? No. The parent is using these rules to teach the child how to live in a way that respects others and provides the most opportunity for success in his life.

The same is true with the commands of Jesus. He never wants us to take one of His rules and hold it up as the standard. He commands us to 'follow Him'. That is take His life as a whole and learn how live in the way that provides the most opportunity for success in our lives.

There are many different kinds of prayer: private prayer, corporate prayer, intercessory prayer, meditation, etc. Don't just hold one example of Jesus' prayer as the standard. It is not how He intended it.
JDPhD

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 04:57 pm
@Katherine phil,
Accept God as is without proof and you're accepting something positive. As Dr. Russell declares, only positives exist; they're real. Negatives are unreal (If you can remember back then Kodak had a lot of negatives hanging around and not many people could get along in photography). Well then if you take this positive idea of God into meditation you can then get rid of the negative through decentration as explained in the Home Study Course.
boagie

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 05:56 pm
@JDPhD,
JDPhD wrote:
Accept God as is without proof and you're accepting something positive. As Dr. Russell declares, only positives exist; they're real. Negatives are unreal (If you can remember back then Kodak had a lot of negatives hanging around and not many people could get along in photography). Well then if you take this positive idea of God into meditation you can then get rid of the negative through decentration as explained in the Home Study Course.

JDPhD,

Could you give us some examples of negative things which are unreal? Does this apply to physical objects?:eek:
Katherine phil

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 07:37 pm
@boagie,
I think he means . . .

Is cold real? No, cold is our term for the absence of heat.
Is dark real? No, dark is our term for the absence of light.

These things do not exist as things themselves, only as the absence of something else.
boagie

Reply Sat 28 Jul, 2007 07:50 pm
@Katherine phil,
Katherine wrote:
I think he means . . .

Is cold real? No, cold is our term for the absence of heat.
Is dark real? No, dark is our term for the absence of light.

Katherine,

What makes heat real,the absence of cold?Is it not a duality, both mutually dependent upon the other for defination?Really I am just puzzled at the avoidence of answering the intial question,where he claimed to know a degree of truth as a property of prayer also inferring its effectiveness could be measured in some way.

"These things do not exist as things themselves,but only in the absence of something else."

I guess this does largely answer my question,does in hold across the board in this dual world,is,is not, so many possiablities.
JDPhD

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 04:52 pm
@boagie,
boagie

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 05:17 pm
@JDPhD,
Thanks Bugs!!Very Happy that's really profound!:eek:
0 Replies

Katherine phil

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 07:38 pm
@boagie,
boagie wrote:
Katherine wrote:

I guess this does largely answer my question,does in hold across the board in this dual world,is,is not, so many possiablities.

Actually, they don't exist. That is not my view, that is physics. As for what our friend is trying to say; I do not know.
boagie

Reply Sun 29 Jul, 2007 08:18 pm
@Katherine phil,
Katherine wrote:
boagie wrote:

Actually, they don't exist. That is not my view, that is physics. As for what our friend is trying to say; I do not know.

Katherine,Smile

I wonder if this could not be said of everything in the sense that everything we precieve is first conditioned and limited by our senses,then condition on a cognitive level.Cold,light heat ect,,are only so relative to a subject and are conditions or states. When considering objects we know there is something out there that we can never know---------Kant's thing in itself.

Katherine,I do not know either,if it is indeed meaningful he will have to put a little effort into making himself understood.His earlier claims proved to be unfounded or he feels himself not accountable for his claims---so take it with a bit salt!
0 Replies