Do you believe in God?

Pusyphus

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:10 pm
@Pythagorean,
...but no more respect than every other creature, right?
0 Replies

Majic

Reply Sat 17 Jan, 2009 12:18 pm
@Pythagorean,
Yes, that's right. We are all equal in our journey.
Majic
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@Majic,
Majic wrote:
Manored said, "... it merely has to be a supreme being..."
Why does it have to be a supreme being? Maybe our scientist are right with their Big Bang Theory, and evolution form the simplest to the more complex. Perhaps the rules of the universe evolved as the planets and life evolved.
Or, the answer might be buried in the idea of infinity. Even Einstein commented on infinity being never ending AND never beginning. I don't understand infinity, but maybe the universe always existed in some form without any help from a god.
Majic
I actually wanted to mean greater or different enough from us to not understand us, just expressed myself badly Smile

Pusyphus wrote:
Ahh. But surely it would be aware that it was being revered as a respectable creator, with all the crap that goes around on the internet. (And yes, god would have the internet). And, going with the fair assumption that it knows, I don't see how else you would characterize it, other than cowardly.

This is not even getting into whether or not we were created by it.

Good, manored.
What if he was uncapable of, for example, understanding our language, just like we know ants communicate trading smells even thought we cant understand what they are saying and not even fell those smells?
Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:12 pm
@William,
William;43136 wrote:
Kolbe, please I do not mean to put you on the spot, but if you would please tell me of one single individual that was born bad or evil. Just one.

Thanks,
William

I took it more in the context of 'deep down inside, we're all good' as opposed to being born good. But do we ever know if babies are born good or evil? If we ask, they can't exactly answer, can they?
0 Replies

manored

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 03:27 pm
@Pythagorean,
Good luck finding an adult who, then asked, declares: I am evil! Smile
0 Replies

Kolbe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:07 pm
@Pythagorean,
Good luck finding an adult who can prove, deep down, that they aren't ^^
0 Replies

William

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:49 am
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
Hello William. Okay, assuming that Kolbe cannot name a single person, where are you going with this?

Do you mean to agree that people are innately good, or that they choose to be bad?

Yes, I think we are innately good and evil is totally a consequence of the reality man has created. Now where does evil come from? My God, pick a door. I think evil has two spectrums. (1) What man will do to control his fellow man and (2) What man will do to avoid that control.
William
0 Replies

Majic

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 06:59 am
@Pythagorean,
Why are we using the word 'evil' here? Doesn't it imply that it is of the devil? I must assume that the people who are discussing it are conditioned by Christianity and still believe that Hell and the devil exist.
Majic
William

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:07 am
@Majic,
Majic wrote:
Why are we using the word 'evil' here? Doesn't it imply that it is of the devil? I must assume that the people who are discussing it are conditioned by Christianity and still believe that Hell and the devil exist.
Majic

Good point. I just use it as a word that is antagonistic to life. The opposite of "good", not "right", "untruth", etc.. There is a whole potpourri of words that constitute "evil" such as malice, cruelty, sadism, selfishness, spite and on and on. Take your pick.

William
xris

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
@William,
When does nasty become evil..or is it all degrees of evil ? my nasty cold nearly killed me ..:rolleyes:
manored

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 09:05 am
@Majic,
Majic wrote:
Majic
Evil isnt for use just in a devilistic context... well, at least I think that not Smile anyway the devil and hell are nice to make jokes and vile comparsions, so lets keep the meaning of the words Smile

I think my concepts of good and evil are kinda:
Good: That wich contribuites for the survival and expansion of humanity
Evil: That wich opposes it.

That means ecologists are EVIL!!! Smile
0 Replies

Pusyphus

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:10 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
I actually wanted to mean greater or different enough from us to not understand us, just expressed myself badly Smile

What if he was uncapable of, for example, understanding our language, just like we know ants communicate trading smells even thought we cant understand what they are saying and not even fell those smells?

Well, then it would make sense to define the word god. Although that would be next to impossible, I've seen the definition fall into a couple main categories. One looks at god as a humanoid creature who created us in turn. The other espouses this ethereal nexus-like energy...very difficult to pin down.

But, if it is the latter, then I don't see the point in even talking about it, much less mentally masturbating over it. Now, if it is some being having an identifiable appearance/motivation, then why would we assume it is too stupid to understand written language?

I think one's intermediate goal would be to decide how one defines god before one assigns a value or merit to it. It's too easy to bounce back and forth between one's own doubts, like a tennis ball. In that case, one may find that it would be time to get serious about one's position, maybe.
William

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:41 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
When does nasty become evil..or is it all degrees of evil ? my nasty cold nearly killed me ..:rolleyes:

Anything antagonistic to life is evil, nasty, wrong,...... Anti-life. It is my belief if we are mentally, physically and universally hitting on all cylinders, a virus wouldn't stand a chance against our immune system. I think you could eat razor blades and pass ball bearings. Ha.

Of course we are not mentally, physically or universally there yet and we have to get through this "evil" thing and it just matters how much hell we can stand before we decide to get rid of that which caused the evil. We have to get to the root, and medicine just enables us to survive. Once we kill the root, then we begin to live.

Good luck in getting rid of that evil:devilish: little cold you have. Ha.Smile
William
manored

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:03 am
@Pusyphus,
Pusyphus wrote:
Well, then it would make sense to define the word god. Although that would be next to impossible, I've seen the definition fall into a couple main categories. One looks at god as a humanoid creature who created us in turn. The other espouses this ethereal nexus-like energy...very difficult to pin down.

But, if it is the latter, then I don't see the point in even talking about it, much less mentally masturbating over it. Now, if it is some being having an identifiable appearance/motivation, then why would we assume it is too stupid to understand written language?

I think one's intermediate goal would be to decide how one defines god before one assigns a value or merit to it. It's too easy to bounce back and forth between one's own doubts, like a tennis ball. In that case, one may find that it would be time to get serious about one's position, maybe.
"God might be pretty much anything imaginable and therefore even thinking about him is a waste of time" is a position Smile

By the time we get to the point where we can exterminate all viruses on earth it will be a lot easier to modify ourselves to be virus-proof instead Smile
xris

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:13 am
@William,
William wrote:
Anything antagonistic to life is evil, nasty, wrong,...... Anti-life. It is my belief if we are mentally, physically and universally hitting on all cylinders, a virus wouldn't stand a chance against our immune system. I think you could eat razor blades and pass ball bearings. Ha.

Of course we are not mentally, physically or universally there yet and we have to get through this "evil" thing and it just matters how much hell we can stand before we decide to get rid of that which caused the evil. We have to get to the root, and medicine just enables us to survive. Once we kill the root, then we begin to live.

Good luck in getting rid of that evil:devilish: little cold you have. Ha.Smile
William
Thanks for the concern..eat razors pass ball bearings ..ill have to eat alot of nuts and berries for my immune system to cope with that..You could break a lot of toilets...:nonooo:
manored

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 10:20 am
@xris,
Imagine that your thoughts are spears and spear the cold into submission! Usually works for me on many problems of my life Smile
xris

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 11:55 am
@manored,
manored wrote:
Imagine that your thoughts are spears and spear the cold into submission! Usually works for me on many problems of my life Smile
If you could bottle that cure youde be a millionaire..ive tried the mind over matter bit when young, all it gave me was a headache..
hammersklavier

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 03:01 pm
@pokemasterat,
Yes, and it has nothing to do with philosophy.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 21 Jan, 2009 04:37 pm
@hammersklavier,
Pusyphus wrote:

And there is also the far more popular notion that defining God with language is necessarily limited to figurative language. At least that's the far more popular position among theologians - people who spend their lives studying the matter.

Pusyphus wrote:
But, if it is the latter, then I don't see the point in even talking about it, much less mentally masturbating over it.

There isn't much point in talking; the real work is the spiritual practice. But it is useful for most people to discourse on God to eradicate misunderstandings which can be pinned down in language.

Pusyphus wrote:
I think one's intermediate goal would be to decide how one defines god before one assigns a value or merit to it.

I don't see why: there are many indefinable notions humans entertain. Emotions like love and longing, for example, are defined in poetry in numerous ways, but the only thing concrete we can say about them is in describing what occurs in our brain as we feel them.

Pusyphus wrote:
It's too easy to bounce back and forth between one's own doubts, like a tennis ball. In that case, one may find that it would be time to get serious about one's position, maybe.

I agree: which is why, in the case of God, wading through arguments only goes so far. At some point, actual spiritual practice is needed.
manored

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 11:47 am
@xris,
xris wrote:
If you could bottle that cure youde be a millionaire..ive tried the mind over matter bit when young, all it gave me was a headache..
Well I could bottle it, but it would have little effect since most people would drink it thinking it probally wouldnt work, what would kill its positive effects... and if they drinked it thinking it would work, they would know it has their thoughts that cured then, not the drink Smile
0 Replies