Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:29 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I am sorry, but I don't know what you are asking? Are you asking whether B knows that p? Well, you say he does, and it is your story, so I guess he does? Are you asking whether if B knows then is what he knows, p, is true? The answer is trivially yes. Of course, if the proposition p is known, then that proposition is true.

I cannot imagine what else you are asking. After all, the phrase, "true knowledge" is not standard English, so you have to tell me what you mean by it.

Ok, let me try it another way.

Given the same scenario I set up previously:

A says that P is true.

B says that P is true.

What are the truth value of these statements?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 08:35 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Ok, let me try it another way.

A says that P is true.

B says that P is true.

What are the truth value of these statements?

Which statements? That A says that p is true, and that B says that P is true. Well, if you say that A and B said those things, I'll take your word for it. What other statement are you talking about? At the moment you are really making no sense. Place the statements you want me to comment on in italics, or in quotes, and then try again. For I really do not know what you are talking about. Did you read my previous post. I have a distinct feeling you did not. Do you see why the notion of true knowledge makes no sense, and so, why asking whether knowledge is true makes no sense?
Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 10:44 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Which statements? That A says that p is true, and that B says that P is true. Well, if you say that A and B said those things, I'll take your word for it. What other statement are you talking about? At the moment you are really making no sense. Place the statements you want me to comment on in italics, or in quotes, and then try again. For I really do not know what you are talking about. Did you read my previous post. I have a distinct feeling you did not. Do you see why the notion of true knowledge makes no sense, and so, why asking whether knowledge is true makes no sense?

Ok, I'll use your terms then:

A believes that P is true.

B believes that P is true.

What are the truth values of their beliefs?
0 Replies

Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 11:41 am
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

What I suspect is the source of your confusion is that you do not clearly distinguish between knowledge and belief. Is is perfectly all right to ask whether a belief is true because it is perfectly all right to ask whether a belief is false, since a belief may be true or false. But, as we have just seen, since it really makes no sense to ask whether knowledge is false, since if you know something what you know cannot be false, therefore, if makes no sense to ask whether knowledge is true, since if you know something, then it must be true.

What are the significant differences between the following statements?

I believe.
I believe I know.
I know.
kennethamy

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 02:26 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
What are the significant differences between the following statements?

I believe.
I believe I know.
I know.

"A believes that p" = A accepts p as true. (It does not imply that p is true, nor does it imply that A, or anyone else, has evidence that p is true).

"A knows that p is true" implies: 1. p is true; 2. A has adequate evidence that p is true; 3. A believes that p is true. (The classical Platonic definition to be found in the Theateus is that knowledge is true, adequately justified, belief).

"A believes A knows that p" = A accepts that A knows that p. (That does not imply that A knows that p, nor does it imply either that A has adequate evidence for the proposition that A knows that p).

What the truth value of a belief is depends on what that belief is. You tell me what those beliefs are, and I'll try, if I can, to tell you what whether those beliefs are true or false. For, you realize that when you ask what the truth value of a belief is, you are just asking whether the belief is true or false. Don't you? So, I cannot tell whether a belief is true or false unless I know what that belief is, and, of course, I may not be able to tell even then unless I have enough information.
Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 05:00 pm
@kennethamy,
[quote=kennethamy]"A believes that p" = A accepts p as true. (It does not imply that p is true, nor does it imply that A, or anyone else, has evidence that p is true).[/quote]
kennethamy wrote:

"A knows that p is true" implies: 1. p is true; 2. A has adequate evidence that p is true; 3. A believes that p is true. (The classical Platonic definition to be found in the Theateus is that knowledge is true, adequately justified, belief).

"A believes A knows that p" = A accepts that A knows that p. (That does not imply that A knows that p, nor does it imply either that A has adequate evidence for the proposition that A knows that p).

What the truth value of a belief is depends on what that belief is. You tell me what those beliefs are, and I'll try, if I can, to tell you what whether those beliefs are true or false. For, you realize that when you ask what the truth value of a belief is, you are just asking whether the belief is true or false. Don't you? So, I cannot tell whether a belief is true or false unless I know what that belief is, and, of course, I may not be able to tell even then unless I have enough information.

I don't quite understand. Earlier you said that only beliefs can be true or false; how can a belief be false if it doesn't imply that something is true or false? In essence, all one is then saying is this is what I believe, but it may or may not be true. How can that possibly be false?

And you have also said that it makes no sense to say knowledge is false.

kennethamy wrote:

What I suspect is the source of your confusion is that you do not clearly distinguish between knowledge and belief. Is is perfectly all right to ask whether a belief is true because it is perfectly all right to ask whether a belief is false, since a belief may be true or false. But, as we have just seen, since it really makes no sense to ask whether knowledge is false, since if you know something what you know cannot be false, therefore, if makes no sense to ask whether knowledge is true, since if you know something, then it must be true.

Earlier you were confused when asked about the truth value of statements: it seems that these are not true or false for you either.

[quote=kennethamy]Which statements? That A says that p is true, and that B says that P is true. Well, if you say that A and B said those things, I'll take your word for it. What other statement are you talking about? At the moment you are really making no sense. Place the statements you want me to comment on in italics, or in quotes, and then try again. For I really do not know what you are talking about. Did you read my previous post. I have a distinct feeling you did not. Do you see why the notion of true knowledge makes no sense, and so, why asking whether knowledge is true makes no sense?[/quote]

So what does have a truth value?

Oh yes, only the object.

But what does that mean? P is true if P=P? Is this not just a trivially true tautology?
Your example of H2O is water:

kennethamy wrote:

But let me add, finally. that whether or not A knows that p is true or whether A knows that p is false, p is true or p is false whether or not A knows it. Or indeed, whether or not anyone knows it. After all, 500 years ago no one knew that water was H20, but water was H20 anyway. So, even when no one knew that water was H20, since water was H20, the statement or proposition that water is H20 corresponded to the fact that water is H20 then just as it does now.

The relation between knowledge and truth is as follows: knowledge implies truth, but truth does not imply knowledge. So I cannot know that p, unless p is true; but p may be true without my knowing it is (or indeed, without anyone knowing it is true).

H2O is the scientific notation for the water molecule (2 hydrogen atoms 1 oxygen atom), which represents water.
"Water" is the English word which represents water.
"Agua" is the Spanish word which represents water.
Saying that H20 is water, is no different than saying that agua is water; which is no different than saying that water is water.

Or are you simply saying that it is true that modern society agrees that H2O is water? If so, then truth is nothing more than the agreed norm that perplexity has spoken of: which you also say makes no sense.

So what does truth mean? What does the tautology P = P correspond to, to determine truth? Not to statements. Not to knowledge.

And if beliefs don't imply that P is either true or false, nor even that one has any evidence at all to imply any kind of proof that P is true, beliefs can't be false. If beliefs can't be false, they can't have a truth value (Law of excluded middle). So beliefs also can't have a truth value.

Now I'm confused, what do you mean by truth?
kennethamy

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 06:36 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:

I don't quite understand. Earlier you said that only beliefs can be true or false; how can a belief be false if it doesn't imply that something is true or false? In essence, all one is then saying is this is what I believe, but it may or may not be true. How can that possibly be false?

And you have also said that it makes no sense to say knowledge is false.

Earlier you were confused when asked about the truth value of statements: it seems that these are not true or false for you either.

So what does have a truth value?

Oh yes, only the object.

But what does that mean? P is true if P=P? Is this not just a trivially true tautology?
Your example of H2O is water:

H2O is the scientific notation for the water molecule (2 hydrogen atoms 1 oxygen atom), which represents water.
"Water" is the English word which represents water.
"Agua" is the Spanish word which represents water.
Saying that H20 is water, is no different than saying that agua is water; which is no different than saying that water is water.

Or are you simply saying that it is true that modern society agrees that H2O is water? If so, then truth is nothing more than the agreed norm that perplexity has spoken of: which you also say makes no sense.

So what does truth mean? What does the tautology P = P correspond to, to determine truth? Not to statements. Not to knowledge.

And if beliefs don't imply that P is either true or false, nor even that one has any evidence at all to imply any kind of proof that P is true, beliefs can't be false. If beliefs can't be false, they can't have a truth value (Law of excluded middle). So beliefs also can't have a truth value.

Now I'm confused, what do you mean by truth?

The belief that the Earth is flat is false. The belief that the Earth is round is true. So a belief may be either true or false. Which it is depend on the facts. So, it does not follow that if I believe p that it is true, and it does not follow that if I believe p that it is false. I can have a true belief, or I can have a false belief. But knowledge is different. If I know that p, then p is true, for if p is not true, then I do not know (it is true). Therefore, there can be beliefs that are false (false beliefs) but there cannot be false knowledge.

Truth is a relation between a statement, and the world. If what the statement states corresponds with the world, then the statement is true. But if the statement fails to correspond with the world, then the statement is false. So, for example: the statement that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated is true, because there is the fact that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. But the statement that Abraham Lincoln died of malaria is false because there is not such fact.

Tautologies are not true because they correspond with fact in the world. Tautologies are true in virtue of their form alone. So the idea that truth is a relation between a statement and a fact does not apply in the case of tautologies.

The word "water" in English, is synonymous with the word, "agua" in Spanish. Which is to say that those two terms mean the same thing. But we have to distinguish between meaning and reference. The term "reference" means what the term designates (if anything) in the world. So, the terms "water" and "agua" mean the same thing, and they both refer to H20. The difference between meaning and reference is a very important difference. For example, the terms, "the author of Tom Sawyer" and, "the author of Huckleberry Finn" do not mean the same thing. But they do have the same reference. That is, Mark Twain. If two terms mean the same thing, then they refer to the same thing. But not conversely: if two terms refer to the same thing, they need no mean the same thing.

Also, all terms have meaning (otherwise they would not be terms in the language). But not all terms have a referent. For example, the term, "mermaid" has a meaning. You can look the meaning up in the dictionary. But the term, "mermaid" does not have a referent, since there are no mermaids.

Objects do not have truth value. For example the object, my table, is neither true nor false. But statements (or propositions) have truth value. For example, the statement that my table is brown is either true or false. And if I believe that my table is brown (and if it is brown) then my belief is true. But, if I believe that my table is brown (and if it is not brown) then my belief is false. So any belief may be true or it may be false. And which it is depend on what I believe, and on what is the fact.

Does this help?
Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 10:17 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

The word "water" in English, is synonymous with the word, "agua" in Spanish. Which is to say that those two terms mean the same thing. But we have to distinguish between meaning and reference. The term "reference" means what the term designates (if anything) in the world. So, the terms "water" and "agua" mean the same thing, and they both refer to H20. The difference between meaning and reference is a very important difference. For example, the terms, "the author of Tom Sawyer" and, "the author of Huckleberry Finn" do not mean the same thing. But they do have the same reference. That is, Mark Twain. If two terms mean the same thing, then they refer to the same thing. But not conversely: if two terms refer to the same thing, they need no mean the same thing.

Also, all terms have meaning (otherwise they would not be terms in the language). But not all terms have a referent. For example, the term, "mermaid" has a meaning. You can look the meaning up in the dictionary. But the term, "mermaid" does not have a referent, since there are no mermaids.

Now you are just being equivocal.

So I'll just start with this:

Referent: The object or event to which a term or symbol refers.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/referent

Referent: the thing that a symbol (as a word or sign) stands for.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=referent

First, since the words "water" and "agua" were coined well before there was the symbol H2O, those words can not possibly refer to H2O: they refer to the liquid that covers the majority of the surface of this planet.

Second, what is H2O? (try not to equivocate) It is water: the liquid that cover the majority of the surface of this planet.

And "mermaid" refers to characters/creatures in folklore (the event).

Mermaid: (in folklore) a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mermaid
Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 11:13 pm
@Isa,
[quote=kennethamy]"A believes that p" = A accepts p as true. (It does not imply that p is true, nor does it imply that A, or anyone else, has evidence that p is true).[/quote]

You are equivocating again.

Are you really trying to say that when a person says "I believe that God exists," they are really saying that they accept that God exists, but they can't prove that God exists, so they are not implying that God exists?

[quote=kennethamy]The belief that the Earth is flat is false. The belief that the Earth is round is true. So a belief may be either true or false. Which it is depend on the facts. So, it does not follow that if I believe p that it is true, and it does not follow that if I believe p that it is false. I can have a true belief, or I can have a false belief. But knowledge is different. If I know that p, then p is true, for if p is not true, then I do not know (it is true). Therefore, there can be beliefs that are false (false beliefs) but there cannot be false knowledge. [/quote]
kennethamy wrote:

Truth is a relation between a statement, and the world. If what the statement states corresponds with the world, then the statement is true. But if the statement fails to correspond with the world, then the statement is false. So, for example: the statement that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated is true, because there is the fact that Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. But the statement that Abraham Lincoln died of malaria is false because there is not such fact.

But didn't you say that a belief means there is not evidence that p is true?

And knowing is when you know something that is true, and it is true?

You say a true belief is one that believes something that is true. But you also say that belief means there is no evidence that something is true. So how can one have a true belief if there is no evidence to prove that the thing one believes in is true?

And once there is evidence to prove something is true, doesn't it change from a belief to what one knows?

For the same reason you can't have a false belief, because once you can prove that it is false, it becomes what you know to be false.

Then a true belief can only be about something in the past? Way back when they first believed that the Earth was round, and now that we know that the world is round, so now we also know that their belief was true.

Again, so what is truth?
Isa

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2007 11:38 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:

Objects do not have truth value. For example the object, my table, is neither true nor false. But statements (or propositions) have truth value. For example, the statement that my table is brown is either true or false. And if I believe that my table is brown (and if it is brown) then my belief is true. But, if I believe that my table is brown (and if it is not brown) then my belief is false. So any belief may be true or it may be false. And which it is depend on what I believe, and on what is the fact.

Does this help?

Ok, let's us the scenario I set up before.

"A" knows P, where P is the circumference of the earth.
"A" did some very strange and wrong math, but came up with the figure of 24,901.55 miles for the circumference of the earth around the equator.

"A" publishes simply the fact, that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator, in one of his papers.

"B" reads "A"'s paper.

"A" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

"B" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

"C" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

It is true that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator: so what are the truth values for the statements made by "A", "B" and "C"?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 12:47 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Now you are just being equivocal.

So I'll just start with this:

Referent: The object or event to which a term or symbol refers.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/referent

Referent: the thing that a symbol (as a word or sign) stands for.
http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary?book=Dictionary&va=referent

First, since the words "water" and "agua" were coined well before there was the symbol H2O, those words can not possibly refer to H2O: they refer to the liquid that covers the majority of the surface of this planet.

Second, what is H2O? (try not to equivocate) It is water: the liquid that cover the majority of the surface of this planet.

And "mermaid" refers to characters/creatures in folklore (the event).

Mermaid: (in folklore) a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mermaid

Since we were ignorant, we did not know that "water" referred to H20, but now we do know it. The ancient astronomers, when they looked up into the heavens, saw a body which rose in the morning, which they called "the morning star" (of course, it turned out not to be a star at all, but the planet Venus) and, then in the evening they looked up, and saw what they thought to be a different heavenly body which rose in the evening, and they called it, "the evening star". Guess what? What they thought were two bodies were really one and the same body, namely the planet, Venus, which first appeared in the morning, and then appeared in the evening. They did not know that. It was discovered later. You would not insist that since we used to think there were two different bodies so we used the two different terms, "morning star" and evening star", that we should continue to think of them as two different bodies because they have two different names, do you? We know better now. And, notice, the terms, "the evening star" and "the morning star" have two different meanings, the first means, the star that rises in the morning, and the second, the star that rises in the evening. But, those two terms have one and the same referent, namely, the planet (not star) Venus. We can't go around disregarding science just because when we formulated the language, we didn't know science, and our language was formulated in ignorance. We still talk about "sunrise" and "sunset" but we now know that the Sun doesn't really rise, nor does it set. It is the Earth that does the moving. But we still talk in the old way, but we don't have to think in the old way, do we? As the 18th century philosopher, George Berkeley remarks, "We should talk with the vulgar" (he meant the common untutored people, "but we must think with the intelligent". We can, of course, and should, continue to call that liquid, "water", which, according to the dictionary means, a colorless, tasteless, odorless, liquid. But now we know that it refers to H20. The distinction between meaning and reference is very important here. The same, of course, is true of the term "salt" which we now know refers to sodium chloride, or NaCl. It would be a joke to say, "please pass the NaCl" if you wanted the salt shaker, but that is what we are referring to, NaCl. Isn't that right?

As for "mermaid", "mermaid" means, "a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish". That's right. But "mermaid" can't refer to such a creature. Know why? Well, because no such creatures exist. The term "mermaid" is a referring term, a noun. But if you think about it, it need not follow that just because there is noun, there must be something to which that noun refers. If that were true, that would be a fast way of proving that God exists. Too fast, wouldn't you agree. In the middle ages they spoke of the fallacy of, unum nomen, unum nominatum, (a name, therefore something named). You cannot infer from the fact that there is a noun, that there is something to which the noun refers. What about, "Easter Bunny" or "Santa Claus"? Again, the distinction between meaning and reference is very important. The terms, "Easter Bunny" and "Santa Claus" have meanings, but they have no referents. Just as nothing answers to the description, a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish, so. also, nothing answers to the description, "Jolly old elf who delivers presents to good little girls and boy on Christmas Eve", and nothing answer to the description, "Large Rabbit which appears around Easter Time", and I am afraid I have to reveal to you that nothing answers to the description, "lovely and kind fairy who places a quarter under you pillow when you lost a baby tooth". There is, I am sorry to tell you, no Tooth Fairy, either. But, of course, the terms, "Santa", and "Easter Bunny" are not meaningless nonsense terms. They are terms with meanings in the dictionary, or "descriptions" associated with them. But, they have no referents. There is nothing to which they refer, or nothing which those descriptions describe.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:27 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:

You are equivocating again.

Are you really trying to say that when a person says "I believe that God exists," they are really saying that they accept that God exists, but they can't prove that God exists, so they are not implying that God exists?

But didn't you say that a belief means there is not evidence that p is true?

And knowing is when you know something that is true, and it is true?

You say a true belief is one that believes something that is true. But you also say that belief means there is no evidence that something is true. So how can one have a true belief if there is no evidence to prove that the thing one believes in is true?

And once there is evidence to prove something is true, doesn't it change from a belief to what one knows?

For the same reason you can't have a false belief, because once you can prove that it is false, it becomes what you know to be false.

Then a true belief can only be about something in the past? Way back when they first believed that the Earth was round, and now that we know that the world is round, so now we also know that their belief was true.

Again, so what is truth?

But didn't you say that a belief means there is not evidence that p is true? No, I said that beliefs need have no evidence, but that many beliefs do have evidence, and some have a great deal of evidence, only not enough for them to have the quantity or quality of evidence required for knowledge. And that doesn't mean that if a belief has that kind of evidence, it is not a belief but knowledge, since even if it has masses of evidence, if it isn't a true belief, then it is not knowledge.

Knowing is, of course, knowing something (a proposition) that is true. That is true by definition, since if a proposition is not true, it cannot be known to be true. Obviously.
There are two main differences between belief and knowledge: 1. Beliefs may be true or false. Knowledge can be only true. 2. Beliefs need have no evidence, or some evidence, or a lot of evidence. But for you to know, you need adequate justification (whatever that may be in the particular case).

You say a true belief is one that believes something that is true. I hope I didn't say that. That makes no sense. A belief doesn't believe. Only people belief or have beliefs. And, of course, a true belief is a belief that is true (what else), like the belief that Lincoln was assassinated. If I believe that Lincoln was assassinated, then I have a true belief. And if I believe that Lincoln died of malaria, I have a false belief. Isn't that right?

What makes you think that a true belief (or false belief) can be a belief only about the past? The Lincoln example is only an example. I can have a belief about the present. I believe that George W. Bush is the 43rd president. That is a true belief. And, I believe that there will be a general election in 2008. And that is a true belief about the future.

Why can't I have a true belief for which there is no evidence. That sort of thing is called a lucky guess. I may have no evidence that a particular horse is going to win a particular race tomorrow, but I may, as we say, have a "hunch" that it will. And if I place a lot of money that it will, and the horse wins, then I made a very lucky guess, without any evidence. A lucky true belief, in other words. But, of course, no one would say that I knew that horse would win. I had no evidence that it would.

Once I believed that Quito was the capital of Ecuador because I heard someone say it was, and I believed that person. But I did not know it was the capital until I did some research and looked it up. Then I knew it was the capital. But I did not stop believing it was the capital, just because I now knew it was. What is true is that I no longer only believed it was the capital. But I still believed it. (If there are 30 students in a room, then there are 20 student in the room. But if there are 30 students in the room, there are no only 20 students in the room. So, if there are 30, there are 20, but if there are 30, there are not only 20). In the same way, if I know that p is true, then I do not only believe that p is true. But if I know that p is true, I also believe p is true. So knowing implies believing, but believing does not imply knowing.

Truth, as I have said before, is a relation between a statement or proposition, or, if you like, a belief, and the world outside the belief. (statement, proposition). If the belief (etc.) is true, then there is such a relation between the belief and the world that the belief corresponds to that "fact" or that,"state of affairs" in the world. But if there is no such fact or state of affairs, then that belief is false.

The people in the middle ages who believed the world was round were right, since the world was round (they had a true belief, since their belief corresponded with a fact). Now, with our more powerful techniques, we know the world is round, and we do not only believe it is, as did the people of the middle ages. And we now know that their belief was a true belief.
0 Replies

Isa

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 01:21 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
Since we were ignorant, we did not know that "water" referred to H20, but now we do know it. The ancient astronomers, when they looked up into the heavens, saw a body which rose in the morning, which they called "the morning star" (of course, it turned out not to be a star at all, but the planet Venus) and, then in the evening they looked up, and saw what they thought to be a different heavenly body which rose in the evening, and they called it, "the evening star". Guess what? What they thought were two bodies were really one and the same body, namely the planet, Venus, which first appeared in the morning, and then appeared in the evening. They did not know that. It was discovered later. You would not insist that since we used to think there were two different bodies so we used the two different terms, "morning star" and evening star", that we should continue to think of them as two different bodies because they have two different names, do you? We know better now. And, notice, the terms, "the evening star" and "the morning star" have two different meanings, the first means, the star that rises in the morning, and the second, the star that rises in the evening. But, those two terms have one and the same referent, namely, the planet (not star) Venus. We can't go around disregarding science just because when we formulated the language, we didn't know science, and our language was formulated in ignorance. We still talk about "sunrise" and "sunset" but we now know that the Sun doesn't really rise, nor does it set. It is the Earth that does the moving. But we still talk in the old way, but we don't have to think in the old way, do we? As the 18th century philosopher, George Berkeley remarks, "We should talk with the vulgar" (he meant the common untutored people, "but we must think with the intelligent". We can, of course, and should, continue to call that liquid, "water", which, according to the dictionary means, a colorless, tasteless, odorless, liquid. But now we know that it refers to H20. The distinction between meaning and reference is very important here. The same, of course, is true of the term "salt" which we now know refers to sodium chloride, or NaCl. It would be a joke to say, "please pass the NaCl" if you wanted the salt shaker, but that is what we are referring to, NaCl. Isn't that right?

As for "mermaid", "mermaid" means, "a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish". That's right. But "mermaid" can't refer to such a creature. Know why? Well, because no such creatures exist. The term "mermaid" is a referring term, a noun. But if you think about it, it need not follow that just because there is noun, there must be something to which that noun refers. If that were true, that would be a fast way of proving that God exists. Too fast, wouldn't you agree. In the middle ages they spoke of the fallacy of, unum nomen, unum nominatum, (a name, therefore something named). You cannot infer from the fact that there is a noun, that there is something to which the noun refers. What about, "Easter Bunny" or "Santa Claus"? Again, the distinction between meaning and reference is very important. The terms, "Easter Bunny" and "Santa Claus" have meanings, but they have no referents. Just as nothing answers to the description, a female marine creature, having the head, torso and arms of a woman and the tail of a fish, so. also, nothing answers to the description, "Jolly old elf who delivers presents to good little girls and boy on Christmas Eve", and nothing answer to the description, "Large Rabbit which appears around Easter Time", and I am afraid I have to reveal to you that nothing answers to the description, "lovely and kind fairy who places a quarter under you pillow when you lost a baby tooth". There is, I am sorry to tell you, no Tooth Fairy, either. But, of course, the terms, "Santa", and "Easter Bunny" are not meaningless nonsense terms. They are terms with meanings in the dictionary, or "descriptions" associated with them. But, they have no referents. There is nothing to which they refer, or nothing which those descriptions describe.

Tom Sawyer.
Refers to the character in the book of the same name; written by Mark Twain.

Referent: The object or EVENT to which a term or symbol refers.

You can still refer to something that does not occupy space.
kennethamy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 02:25 pm
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
Tom Sawyer.
Refers to the character in the book of the same name; written by Mark Twain.

Referent: The object or ENVENT to which a term or symbol refers.

You can still refer to something that does not occupy space.

I have no quarrel with it not occupying space. The number three does not occupy space, but exists. Unicorns do not exist. I agree that the referent is the object or event to which the term or symbol refers. But there is no object or event to which the term "mermaid" refers, so the term, "mermaid" does not have a referent. "Tom Sawyer" is the name of a character in a novel, But characters in novels do not exist. They are fictional characters.

Are you happy about what I said about belief, and knowledge, and truth?
Isa

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2007 11:44 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
I have no quarrel with it not occupying space. The number three does not occupy space, but exists. Unicorns do not exist. I agree that the referent is the object or event to which the term or symbol refers. But there is no object or event to which the term "mermaid" refers, so the term, "mermaid" does not have a referent. "Tom Sawyer" is the name of a character in a novel, But characters in novels do not exist. They are fictional characters.

Are you happy about what I said about belief, and knowledge, and truth?

If these characters do not exist, how is it that you know who they are? I believe writing still qualifies as an event.

. . .

Happy? Strange question. But OK, I'll bite, and repeat myself.

Again, from the way you define belief, it is a logical impossibility to have a false belief, or a true belief: except as an evaluation of past beliefs.

You can not prove that a belief is true, because once you can prove truth, it is no longer a belief because it has become what is known to be true.

Conversely, you can not prove that a belief is false, because once you can prove falsehood, it is no longer a belief because it has become what is known to be false.

So you can not have a belief that is either true or false, according to your definition, so your beliefs can have no truth value (Law of excluded middle).

Once you know something, according to your definition, you can no longer say that you believe that thing.

kennethamy wrote:

. . . but that many beliefs do have evidence, and some have a great deal of evidence, only not enough for them to have the quantity or quality of evidence required for knowledge.

And once you know something, again according to your definitions, it can only be true. And if knowledge can not be false, it can not have truth value.

kennethamy wrote:

Knowledge can be only true.

So you have nothing that can have truth value. So you have nothing that could be called the truth.

If you can refute this, please do so with solid reasoning; instead of continuing to equivocate.

Or at least find a new way to equivocate by using your truth system and answering my question (again I repeat myself):

Using the scenario I've set up before.

"A" did some very strange and wrong math, and accidentally came up with the figure of 24,901.55 miles for the circumference of the earth around the equator.

"A" publishes simply the fact, that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator, in one of his papers.

"B" reads "A"'s paper.

"A" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

"B" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

"C" makes the statement that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator.

It is true that the circumference of the earth is 24,901.55 miles around the equator: so what are the truth values for the statements made by "A", "B" and "C"?
kennethamy

Reply Sun 21 Oct, 2007 08:40 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:
If these characters do not exist, how is it that you know who they are? I believe writing still qualifies as an event.

. . .

Happy? Strange question. But OK, I'll bite, and repeat myself.

Again, from the way you define belief, it is a logical impossibility to have a false belief, or a true belief: except as an evaluation of past beliefs.

You can not prove that a belief is true, because once you can prove truth, it is no longer a belief because it has become what is known to be true.

Conversely, you can not prove that a belief is false, because once you can prove falsehood, it is no longer a belief because it has become what is known to be false.

So you can not have a belief that is either true or false, according to your definition, so your beliefs can have no truth value (Law of excluded middle).

Once you know something, according to your definition, you can no longer say that you believe that thing.

And once you know something, again according to your definitions, it can only be true. And if knowledge can not be false, it can not have truth value.

So you have nothing that can have truth value. So you have nothing that could be called the truth.

If you can refute this, please do so with solid reasoning; instead of continuing to equivocate.

Or at least find a new way to equivocate by using your truth system and answering my question (again I repeat myself):

Using the scenario I've set up before.

"A" did some very strange and wrong math, and accidentally came up with the figure of 24,901.55 miles for the circumference of the earth around the equator.

"B" reads "A"'s paper.

But to say that, e.g. the fictional character, Hamlet exists, is only to say that in the play by Shakespeare, there is a character whose name is "Hamlet". But no Hamlet exists, just the character in the play. But Hamlet is not a living breathing person. So, it is false that Hamlet exists. But true that there is a particular character in a play called who is called "Hamlet". So there is a character in the play, Hamlet, who is called, "Hamlet", but no such person exists. So, there is a difference between, the fictional character, Hamlet exists, and Hamlet exists.
And, as I pointed out, once I knew that Quito was the capital of Ecuador, after I only believed it, I could not say that I now only believe it is the capital of Ecuador. But I can certainly say I believe it is the capital of Ecuador, for if I know it, I also believe it. You have to distinguish between: believing, and only believing. If I am six feet tall, then I am certainly 5 feet tall, since I cannot be six feet tall unless I am 5 feet tall. But if I am six feet tall, then I cannot be only five feet tall. And I should not say I am 5 feet tall, although that would be true, because that would be taken as my saying that I am only 5 feet tall, and that would be false. It is not that I can't say I am 5 feet tall, for that would be true if I said it. It is that I should not say it. For it would be misleading if I did say it. Isn't that so? And, in the same way, if I know that p, then I believe that p, but if I know that p, then I do not only believe that p, and consequently, I should not say I believe that p, even though that would be true, for that would be misleading. So although if I know that p, I could say that I believe that p, since that would be true, I should not say I believe that p, because that might be taken as, I only believe that p, and that would be false.
If I know that p, then it must be that p is true. So, what I know (p) can only be true, if I know it. Although p may be either true or false. But if I know p, then it is true, otherwise, of course, I do not know it.

And, if p is true, and if I believe p is true, and I have adequate justification for that belief that p is true, then, I have satisfied the three conditions for knowing, namely truth, adequate justification, and belief, and then, since I have satisfied those three conditions for knowing, I know, and it is true that I know. So, if A satisfies the three conditions for knowing, then it is true that A knows. Now, to say "knowledge can only be true" if it means anything at all, but be just a way of saying that if someone, A., knows that p, then it must be that p is true. And, of course, that is correct. And, if to say that "knowledge cannot be false" just means that if someone, A., knows that p , then p cannot be false, since then p could not be known, than that is correct too. So, if the statements, "knowledge is true" and "knowledge is not false" are just shorthand ways of expressing the truths, "Only if what I know is true, can I know it" or "if what I claim to know is false, then I don't know it", then fine, we can use those shorthand expressions for those longer expression if you like. And then, of course, "knowledge is (or must be) true" will have the truth value, true, and "knowledge is false" will have the truth value, false. So, with the above stipulations, I am willing to say that we now seem to agree that the truth value of "knowledge is true" is true. All right? (This, in literary terms would, I suppose, be called, an "irenic compromise")

Now, supposing that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles, then whoever asserts that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles will be asserting what is true. So, if A, and B, and C, etc. assert that the circumference is 24,901.55 miles then they will be stating what is true. However, if A asserts that he knows that the circumference is 24,901.55 miles, and that assertion that he knows is based on "some very strange and wrong math" then his assertion that he knows that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles is false, for one of the necessary conditions for knowing namely that of adequate justification is not met or satisfied. So, although the proposition he claims to know is true, his claim to know is false. And, if the claims to know of the others is based on A's claim to know, then their claims to know are also false. So, we have to distinguish between the truth value of what it is that A claims to know, and the truth value of A's claim to know. And you can see that even if what A claims to know is true, A's claim to know is false. And that is because although it is a necessary condition that what A claims to know be true for his claim to know to be true, it is not a sufficient condition that what A claims to know be true for A's claim to know be true.

So, now, I think I have answered all your comments and objections. Right?
Isa

Reply Thu 25 Oct, 2007 11:31 pm
@kennethamy,
[quote=kennethamy]But to say that, e.g. the fictional character, Hamlet exists, is only to say that in the play by Shakespeare, there is a character whose name is "Hamlet". But no Hamlet exists, just the character in the play. But Hamlet is not a living breathing person. So, it is false that Hamlet exists. But true that there is a particular character in a play called who is called "Hamlet". So there is a character in the play, Hamlet, who is called, "Hamlet", but no such person exists. So, there is a difference between, the fictional character, Hamlet exists, and Hamlet exists. [/quote]
kennethamy wrote:

And, as I pointed out, once I knew that Quito was the capital of Ecuador, after I only believed it, I could not say that I now only believe it is the capital of Ecuador. But I can certainly say I believe it is the capital of Ecuador, for if I know it, I also believe it. You have to distinguish between: believing, and only believing. If I am six feet tall, then I am certainly 5 feet tall, since I cannot be six feet tall unless I am 5 feet tall. But if I am six feet tall, then I cannot be only five feet tall. And I should not say I am 5 feet tall, although that would be true, because that would be taken as my saying that I am only 5 feet tall, and that would be false. It is not that I can't say I am 5 feet tall, for that would be true if I said it. It is that I should not say it. For it would be misleading if I did say it. Isn't that so? And, in the same way, if I know that p, then I believe that p, but if I know that p, then I do not only believe that p, and consequently, I should not say I believe that p, even though that would be true, for that would be misleading. So although if I know that p, I could say that I believe that p, since that would be true, I should not say I believe that p, because that might be taken as, I only believe that p, and that would be false.
If I know that p, then it must be that p is true. So, what I know (p) can only be true, if I know it. Although p may be either true or false. But if I know p, then it is true, otherwise, of course, I do not know it.

And, if p is true, and if I believe p is true, and I have adequate justification for that belief that p is true, then, I have satisfied the three conditions for knowing, namely truth, adequate justification, and belief, and then, since I have satisfied those three conditions for knowing, I know, and it is true that I know. So, if A satisfies the three conditions for knowing, then it is true that A knows. Now, to say "knowledge can only be true" if it means anything at all, but be just a way of saying that if someone, A., knows that p, then it must be that p is true. And, of course, that is correct. And, if to say that "knowledge cannot be false" just means that if someone, A., knows that p , then p cannot be false, since then p could not be known, than that is correct too. So, if the statements, "knowledge is true" and "knowledge is not false" are just shorthand ways of expressing the truths, "Only if what I know is true, can I know it" or "if what I claim to know is false, then I don't know it", then fine, we can use those shorthand expressions for those longer expression if you like. And then, of course, "knowledge is (or must be) true" will have the truth value, true, and "knowledge is false" will have the truth value, false. So, with the above stipulations, I am willing to say that we now seem to agree that the truth value of "knowledge is true" is true. All right? (This, in literary terms would, I suppose, be called, an "irenic compromise")

Now, supposing that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles, then whoever asserts that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles will be asserting what is true. So, if A, and B, and C, etc. assert that the circumference is 24,901.55 miles then they will be stating what is true. However, if A asserts that he knows that the circumference is 24,901.55 miles, and that assertion that he knows is based on "some very strange and wrong math" then his assertion that he knows that the circumference is, 24,901.55 miles is false, for one of the necessary conditions for knowing namely that of adequate justification is not met or satisfied. So, although the proposition he claims to know is true, his claim to know is false. And, if the claims to know of the others is based on A's claim to know, then their claims to know are also false. So, we have to distinguish between the truth value of what it is that A claims to know, and the truth value of A's claim to know. And you can see that even if what A claims to know is true, A's claim to know is false. And that is because although it is a necessary condition that what A claims to know be true for his claim to know to be true, it is not a sufficient condition that what A claims to know be true for A's claim to know be true.

So, now, I think I have answered all your comments and objections. Right?

Wrong.

You still haven't shown what criterion is used to prove something to be true. If there is a correspondence between beliefs and reality, what is that correspondence and how is it evaluated to prove truth? And how can the evaluation that proves a belief to be true, be different from the evaluation that forms the belief: in that they are both observations of the same reality?

What is entailed for "adequate justification"; for truth, and for knowing?

If a person claims to know something, but it turns out to be false, then they do not know it; correct? So what criterion has to be met, so that someone can be 100% sure that they do know something, with no chance of it turning out to be false at some later date?

If you can believe and know one in the same truth, what then is the difference between belief and knowing, in regards to a single truth? Use H20 as an example. How is it different when you say that you know H20 is water, and that you also believe H20 is water?

Also, how is it that you know H2O is water? To what reality/referent does H2O correspond to, that allows you to say you know that H2O is water?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 27 Oct, 2007 01:19 am
@Isa,
Isa wrote:

Wrong.

You still haven't shown what criterion is used to prove something to be true. If there is a correspondence between beliefs and reality, what is that correspondence and how is it evaluated to prove truth? And how can the evaluation that proves a belief to be true, be different from the evaluation that forms the belief: in that they are both observations of the same reality?

What is entailed for "adequate justification"; for truth, and for knowing?

If a person claims to know something, but it turns out to be false, then they do not know it; correct? So what criterion has to be met, so that someone can be 100% sure that they do know something, with no chance of it turning out to be false at some later date?

If you can believe and know one in the same truth, what then is the difference between belief and knowing, in regards to a single truth? Use H20 as an example. How is it different when you say that you know H20 is water, and that you also believe H20 is water?

Also, how is it that you know H2O is water? To what reality/referent does H2O correspond to, that allows you to say you know that H2O is water?

I am not sure what you mean by a criterion to prove that a proposition is true except what I have already said. We show that a proposition is true by justifying the proposition, that is, we use the appropriate evidence, and reasoning. We show that the proposition, the cat is on the mat, is true, by looking and seeing a cat, and a mat, and seeing the cat is on the mat. In this case, we use direct evidence. But take the proposition that it snowed overnight while I was asleep. My justification for that would be that when I went to bed last night there was no snow on the ground, but when I awoke this morning, there was snow on the ground. So, although, I did not actually see it snowing, I know that it did snow, for that it snowed overnight is by far the best explanation for what I observe, namely the snow on the ground when I did not observe snow on the ground when I went to bed last evening. It is not, of course, the only possible explanation. Another explanation would be that some giant snow truck had come during the night and spread snow outside my house. But, I think, you will agree, that explanation is not as good an explanation an that it snowed overnight. Why the one explanation is better than the other can, of course, be discussed, but not now. And, indeed, going back to the cat on the mat, we can also thing of the explanation that there is a cat on the mat as being the best explanation of what I observe, namely, a cat, a mat, and the cat being on the mat. Not the only possible explanation, of course, but the best of the possible explanations.

Of course, what I observe often causes my belief as well as justifies it. Not all the time, but often. Still, there is an important distinction between the justification of my belief and the cause of my belief. For instance, the cause of my belief that Quito is the capital of Ecuador might be that I once heard a little boy mention that it was. But that would hardly serve as a justification of my belief. The justification of my belief that Quito was the capital of Ecuador would consist of my looking up the capital of Ecuador in an authoritative source like the World Book of Facts.

I don't think that there is a general answer to the question, what is adequate justification. That would depend on what kind of proposition is in question. For mathematics, only deductive justification is adequate. For science inductive justification is adequate. And to judge whether a particular justification is adequate, we would have to go to experts or authoritative sources. Adequate justification for the proposition that Quito is the capital of Ecuador would, I suppose, be an accredited and reliable source like, The World Almanac of Facts, or, Hammond's World Atlas.

As I have said many times, I don't think that anyone can be literally 100% sure of anything, if that means infallibility. It is one of the important insights of the rise of the empirical sciences about 200 years ago, that the standard of knowledge which, up to that time had been mathematics which was supposed to provide certainty, shifted to the empirical sciences which could provide only (at best) high probability. Empirical science is fallible, because it is a human creation, and human beings are fallible creatures. Our senses are generally reliable (otherwise we could not have survived) but not infallible, and since we wholly depend on sense-knowledge, we cannot achieve certainty. So, of course, we cannot be certain that what we believe we know will not turn out to be false, and so we will not have known in the first place. In general, we cannot know that we know. But that does not mean that we cannot know. We no more have to know we know in order to know, than a chess player has to know he has been checkmated in order to have been checkmated. My belief that I know may always turn out to be false. What that means is that although I can know, I cannot be absolutely certain.Human beings are fallible.

I have already mentioned what are the two differences between knowing and believing: 1. If I know, then I am not mistaken. If I (only) believe, then I can be mistaken. 2. I may believe without adequate justification, and even without any justification ("faith"). But I cannot know without adequate justification. I wonder, though, why you ask me that again? So, if I know that water is H20, then, I believe it is H20; my belief is adequately justified; and water is H20. But if I (only) believe water is H20, then my belief may be unjustified, and water may not be H20. If I say that I (only) believe water is H20, I am allowing it may not be H20, or (and) I do not have adequate justification or my statement. But if I claim I know that water is H20, then I am implying that water is H20, I have adequate justification for that statement, and (of course) I believe it.

How do I know that water is H20. I suppose you are asking me about my justification for my claim that I know that water is H20. Well, it is based on what I believe is credible authority. Books I trust tell me water is H20, and my chemistry teacher told me too. In fact, I think I remember how in Chem. 101 (or somewhere) an experiment called "Hydrolysis" was performed which was supposed to show that water was H20. But I don't think I understood it very well. If you are asking how is it known that water is H20, I guess you'll have to look that up. I am sure if you do a little "googling" you'll find a lot of material on it.

Now, let me ask you this: You seem dissatisfied with the answers I have given you (and probably with those in this post too). But you never really say, with any specificity, just what you dissatisfaction consists in. You do not make any specific objections to what I say. I think you should try to come to grips with this, and try to think of specific objections rather than just expressing a vague dissatisfaction. I also think it is my style of response that puts you off. I try to philosophize clearly as I can, and try to avoid as much vagueness as is possible, and try to be as logical as I can be too. Maybe you have not encountered this style in philosophy before.
0 Replies

Richardgrant

Reply Fri 9 Nov, 2007 06:07 pm
@de Silentio,
I found that all my beliefs were fear based, so I let them go, and I find there can be only one truth for me and that is, I and the Father are One. there can no two things in the universe. Richard
kennethamy

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2007 10:57 am
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
I there can no two things in the universe. Richard

There is a table and a chair in my room. A table is one thing, and a chair is a different thing. My room is in the universe. Therefore, there are at least two things in the universe