de Silentio

Reply Fri 14 Dec, 2007 08:59 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
There is a table and a chair in my room. A table is one thing, and a chair is a different thing. My room is in the universe. Therefore, there are at least two things in the universe

How do you know that the table and chair you see in your room are not hallucinations?

If they are hallucinations, do they still exist in the universe?

If they are not hallucinations, what certainty do you have that they are not hallucinations?
kennethamy

Reply Sat 15 Dec, 2007 08:48 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
How do you know that the table and chair you see in your room are not hallucinations?

If they are hallucinations, do they still exist in the universe?

If they are not hallucinations, what certainty do you have that they are not hallucinations?

Why should you suppose that I am hallucinating? Of course, I am not certain I am not (since I cannot be certain of anything much) but that does not mean that I do not know there are those articles of furniture. But why would you believe that I am hallucinating? You must have some reason, else why would you suggest such a think. Of course, if I had any reason to think I was hallucinating (and was in condition to do so) I would take the kind of steps taken by Macbeth in Shakespeare's play, who sees a dagger hovering over his head, and, says, "Is this a dagger I see before me? Come, let me clutch thee". When Macbeth puts out his hand to clutch the dagger, he comes up with nothing but empty air, and comes to the correct conclusion that, indeed, he was hallucinating. Of course, notice that Macbeth did not ask (and so, suggest) that he was hallucinating the dagger without very good reason. Daggers (like other objects) do not hover above one's head. If it had been a feather instead of a dagger, and there was a stiff breeze blowing, then, of course, Macbeth would not have suspected an hallucination. But as it was, he had a good reason to do so. But without such a reason why should anyone suppose he was hallucinating? The supposition that I am hallucinating when I see an article of furniture is just empty skepticism, not a real doubt. It is what Charles S. Peirce (the American 19th century philosopher) called, "sham doubt" and "paper doubt". Peirce wrote that we should not doubt in philosophy what we do not doubt in our heart.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 04:37 pm
@kennethamy,
Why should you suppose the table and chair to be two things? Couldn't they, like everything else, just as easily be parts of the whole one?

Imagine you have a rug with a fold in it. We can recognize the fold, yet the fold is part of the rug, not an individual thing.
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Sun 16 Dec, 2007 10:32 pm
@de Silentio,
"But why would you believe that I am hallucinating? You must have some reason"

What makes you think I am a man who is guided by reason? I have no way of knowing if or even why you are hallucinating, but I do know that it is often the case that people who hallucinate do not know they are hallucinating. Macbeth's delusion may have been thwarted by his grasping for the dagger, but the hallucinations of some cannot be extinguished so easily. It is the hallucinations that closely represent reality that are the most dangerous.

I will admit, however, that my response was not an intelligent one. My lack of philosophical knowledge often shows its face in the comments I make. Although, my unintelligent questions or statements can, on rare occasions, spark subsequent questions that substantiate into something valuable. I will let you be the judge on this one.

Let's suppose you are hallucinating, and the table and chairs are not corporeal. Now, I will ask my question again, would these objects still exist in the universe? Why is this question important? Other than it fascinating me, if I can use your logic to prove that hallucinations are grounds for accepting that there are two things in the universe, what does that say of your argument? And, yet again, I may fail, but here goes:

There is an image of a table and a chair in my mind. A table is one thing, and a chair is a different thing. My mind is in the universe. Therefore, there are two things in the universe.

------

I would like to add an additional comment. This is in regards to the empty skepticism that you mentioned in your post. I believe Pierce is a Pragmatist, and I see where extreme doubt has no role in Pragmatism, since Pragmatism only deals with practical outcomes that have a valuable meaning to the decisions we make.

However, I will respond that it was Descartes' "empty skepticism" that gave us the philosophy we have today. And furthermore, without Hume's skepticism, Kant may have not come to the conclusions that he did (and where would philosophy be today if he didn't?).

Either way, if I am correct in my evaluation of Pragmatism, doubt, of any kind, can play its practical role and can have an immeasurable value depending on the doubter's goal.

Remember: de omnibus dubitandum est
kennethamy

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 08:34 am
@de Silentio,
de Silentio wrote:
"But why would you believe that I am hallucinating? You must have some reason"

What makes you think I am a man who is guided by reason? I have no way of knowing if or even why you are hallucinating, but I do know that it is often the case that people who hallucinate do not know they are hallucinating. Macbeth's delusion may have been thwarted by his grasping for the dagger, but the hallucinations of some cannot be extinguished so easily. It is the hallucinations that closely represent reality that are the most dangerous.

I will admit, however, that my response was not an intelligent one. My lack of philosophical knowledge often shows its face in the comments I make. Although, my unintelligent questions or statements can, on rare occasions, spark subsequent questions that substantiate into something valuable. I will let you be the judge on this one.

Let's suppose you are hallucinating, and the table and chairs are not corporeal. Now, I will ask my question again, would these objects still exist in the universe? Why is this question important? Other than it fascinating me, if I can use your logic to prove that hallucinations are grounds for accepting that there are two things in the universe, what does that say of your argument? And, yet again, I may fail, but here goes:

There is an image of a table and a chair in my mind. A table is one thing, and a chair is a different thing. My mind is in the universe. Therefore, there are two things in the universe.

------

I would like to add an additional comment. This is in regards to the empty skepticism that you mentioned in your post. I believe Pierce is a Pragmatist, and I see where extreme doubt has no role in Pragmatism, since Pragmatism only deals with practical outcomes that have a valuable meaning to the decisions we make.

However, I will respond that it was Descartes' "empty skepticism" that gave us the philosophy we have today. And furthermore, without Hume's skepticism, Kant may have not come to the conclusions that he did (and where would philosophy be today if he didn't?).

Either way, if I am correct in my evaluation of Pragmatism, doubt, of any kind, can play its practical role and can have an immeasurable value depending on the doubter's goal.

Remember: de omnibus dubitandum est

The contents of hallucinations are not objects. That is why they are called, "hallucinations". And I don't think it is customary to call the contents of the mind, objects. For instance, we do not call "pains" objects. The question of "things being in the mind" is something controversial, for the mind is not a kind of place. Something being in the mind is not like something being in a drawer. If I had one hallucination today, and another, yesterday, I would not say I had two things. One thing is clear. Hallucinations of chairs and tables are not chairs and tables. And, I am in the universe, certainly. And I have a mind (I hope), but it is not clear to me that I can infer that my mind is in the universe. The term, "in" seems to me unavoidably spatial. Now, of course, if you are identifying the mind with the brain, that's something else again. But are you?

No one denies that "empty skepticism" might lead to interesting ideas. But that does not mean it is not "empty". Cartesian skepticism is, in general, a bad theory, but that doesn't mean it may not be fruitful in other ways. I have always thought that the best philosophers have made the best mistakes, because it is the unraveling of their mistakes that teach you the most.

And one of the things I think is doubtful is that everything is doubtful. I do not doubt that the Sun will rise tomorrow. I believe it will. And, I do not doubt that there is someone interested in philosophy at the other end of this conversation. Remember the distinction Hume made between Greek (or Academic) skepticism, and the wise belief that human beings are fallible creatures (mitigated skepticism). It is to commit the "black or white" fallacy to hold that either everything is certain, or else, everything is doubtful. I am not absolutely certain (infallible) about anything (well, maybe that I exist). But that doesn't mean that everything one should not believe anything, either. There is a vast middle ground. It isn't certainty or nothing.
0 Replies

de Silentio

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 09:54 am
@de Silentio,
Quote:

The term, "in" seems to me unavoidably spatial. Now, of course, if you are identifying the mind with the brain, that's something else again. But are you?

I don't think you can help but Indentify the mind with the brain. I have not studied the philosophy of mind much, but from what I understand of the brain and the mind, I can't help but believe that my mind is created when the nuerons in my brain are configured in such a way to produce the mind and thought. And from this I would conclude that my mind, being created from something physical, is in the universe like any other coporeal object.

Instead of retypig the same post I created last night, I will copy it here:

Quote:

Subject: A being who experiences an object
Object: The things experienced

Good definitions? probably not. Use this for sake of argument: I am the subject and everything I experience are objects. Kant says that the world I experience is shaped by my mind. I receive information about the world outside of me through my faculty of sensibility. This faculty has certain rules that it uses to organize the world, specifically the intuitions space and time. After these objects come into my mind through my sensibility, they are further organized by understanding through the concepts that the understanding possesses (the categories).

Now, these are not the external objects themselves that I come to know, they are merely representation of the actual external objects. I never experience the external objects directly, I only experience the external objects through my sensibility and understanding. The knowledge I come to have of the external objects are only representations because I cannot have the physical objects in my mind, I can only have the representations of them that my mind creates through my sensibility and understanding.

Now the fundamental question: Are the representations objects also? I know they are not the external objects themselves, but they are the objects of my experience (in fact, they would be the only objects I can know). From this, one must conclude that experience is completely subjective, since I am the subject that creates the objects (I create the objects (representations) because my sensibility and understanding build the objects (representations) from the external objects experienced through the sensibility, which imparts the intuitions space and time, and the understanding, which organizes the sense data according to the categories).

Now, questions I need help with:

1) Am I correct in my survey? If I am not, where did I go wrong.

2) If I am correct, does this create a new subject-object problem? It obviously destroys Descartes subject-object problem, because the objects are no longer separated from us, they are part of us.

3) Again, if I am correct, do we now have three definitions: The subject, the external objects, and the objects that are my representations?

Now, if my representations are the only objects I can know, what is the difference between a representation of a coporeal object and that of a my imagination, especially if I think they are both representations of coporeal objects. If I am the hallucinator, the objects that are my representations would seem indentical, whether they are representations of external objects or my imagination.
0 Replies

Richardgrant

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 05:12 pm
@de Silentio,
Truth comes from an awakening from within, it's a knowing that requires no proof. this is why science cannot come to grips that the unseen world is the real world. where a belief is related to the material world, which is only the effect world. richardgrant
kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:06 am
@Richardgrant,
Richardgrant wrote:
Truth comes from an awakening from within, it's a knowing that requires no proof. this is why science cannot come to grips that the unseen world is the real world. where a belief is related to the material world, which is only the effect world. richardgrant

Thinking you know without adequate evidence is not knowing, but guessing. As Mark Twain once observed, "It isn't not knowing what is so that gets people into trouble, but knowing what isn't so that does it".

And theoretical science comes to grips with the unseen world all the time. No one has ever seen an electron, or a quark, But theoretical science tells us about these entities. That is why it is called "theoretical".
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 12:59 pm
@kennethamy,
Quote:
Thinking you know without adequate evidence is not knowing, but guessing. As Mark Twain once observed, "It isn't not knowing what is so that gets people into trouble, but knowing what isn't so that does it".

I'm not sure Richard meant "without adequate evidence". It seems he is suggesting that the adequate evidence comes from within, perhaps something akin to spiritual revelation?

Though, kennethamy, you do make a good point about science. Science has no difficulty considering the unseen, even the non-physical and uncaused (your example of subatomic particles fits each of these).
kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 05:43 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
I'm not sure Richard meant "without adequate evidence". It seems he is suggesting that the adequate evidence comes from within, perhaps something akin to spiritual revelation?

Though, kennethamy, you do make a good point about science. Science has no difficulty considering the unseen, even the non-physical and uncaused (your example of subatomic particles fits each of these).

Spiritual revelation is not evidence. It is subjective. Revelation is evidence only if we have any reason to believe it is really revelation.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 10:35 pm
@kennethamy,
Would you say the same argument holds, for example, for Buddhist meditation?
kennethamy

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2008 11:06 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Would you say the same argument holds, for example, for Buddhist meditation?

I don't think I know what you mean.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 01:41 am
@kennethamy,
Richard talked about truth coming "from an awakening from within". Spiritual revelation is often spoken of in these terms, as are the results of Buddhist meditation.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:47 am
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Richard talked about truth coming "from an awakening from within". Spiritual revelation is often spoken of in these terms, as are the results of Buddhist meditation.

But the truth about what? I think that we find out the truth through investigation. Meditation may have other benefits, but not knowledge of the truth.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 04:23 pm
@kennethamy,
Truth about everything. About your true nature, not your apparent nature.

Buddhist meditation often is investigation.
kennethamy

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 08:53 pm
@Didymos Thomas,
Didymos Thomas wrote:
Truth about everything. About your true nature, not your apparent nature.

Buddhist meditation often is investigation.

No way to check the revelations. Too subjective.
Billy phil

Reply Wed 2 Jan, 2008 09:02 pm
@kennethamy,
Maybe belief can be reserved for those things there is no way to establish the truth of.

Like: My spouse loves me.

Philosophy forums have value.

Humans have purpose.
Didymos Thomas

Reply Thu 3 Jan, 2008 03:57 pm
@Billy phil,
That is to say that it is not objective enough?
0 Replies

kennethamy

Reply Fri 4 Jan, 2008 08:53 am
@Billy phil,
Billy wrote:
Maybe belief can be reserved for those things there is no way to establish the truth of.

Like: My spouse loves me.

Philosophy forums have value.

Humans have purpose.

But why should we do that? I believe that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that Germany is in Europe. What word should I use to express these beliefs if you are going to reserve the word for what we cannot establish the truth? But, in any case, why can't I establish the truth of "my spouse loves me"? It is certainly possible to establish the truth of "my spouse does not love me" isn't it? I imagine if she asks for a divorce, and she tells me she doesn't love me, that would go a long way to doing just that. Don't you think so?
Billy phil

Reply Sat 12 Jan, 2008 03:41 pm
@kennethamy,
kennethamy wrote:
But why should we do that? I believe that Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and that Germany is in Europe. What word should I use to express these beliefs if you are going to reserve the word for what we cannot establish the truth? But, in any case, why can't I establish the truth of "my spouse loves me"? It is certainly possible to establish the truth of "my spouse does not love me" isn't it? I imagine if she asks for a divorce, and she tells me she doesn't love me, that would go a long way to doing just that. Don't you think so?

Some have higher standards for establishing truth. Suppose she says: I love you very much. It isn't you, it's me. I'm not leaving you because I don't love you, it's just that I need my freedom.

Do we accept it as truth because she said it? If you define love behaviorally (hugs me, feeds me, hangs on my every word when I speak), you can determine the truth of the statement.

If we define in the deeper, inner meaning the word love generally connotes, we cannot. We cannot prove inner states.

My neighbor never gets angry, and insists there is no such thing.
Another neighbor has never experienced GOD, and insists there is no such thing.
Another neighbor has never experienced alien abduction, and insists there is no such thing.
And a cynical neighbor has never experienced love, and insists there is no such thing. Can you prove him wrong?

Quito is the capital of Ecuador, and Germany is in Europe are generally accepted truths, and they are demonstrable. Even if we were to speculate, we could soon confirm the truth of these statements.

We use words like axiomatic, established fact, etc, for generally accepted truths which, hopefully you believe. we use words like speculate, hypothesize, etc for yet-to-be-proven truths.