Creative ideas to clean up and/or stop the oil spill

spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:23 pm
@CalamityJane,
Quote:
Summon all oil tank ships to the area and have them soak up the oil via special
vacuum.

To close-up the leak, drill next to the existing hole and insert a huge flexible pipe
to divert the oil into new channels.

Gee Cal--that's hilarious. Trust a woman to think up such a brilliant solution.

How huge is huge?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:47 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Currently, the well is emptying at a pressure of 9,000 pounds per square inch (psi). The pressure of the water at 5,000 feet is counteracting that pressure and bringing the flow pressure at the wellhead to 3,500 psi. For comparison, a crocodile's bite is measured at 5,000 psi.

Ok, given by doing simple math that the person who wrote this is claiming that the pressure at 5,000 feet is 9000-3500 or 5,500 PSI and it is in fact nearer to 2400 PSI one would be safe in assuming that the writer have no clue at all and the 9,000 figure can not be given any credit.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 04:50 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
Currently, the well is emptying at a pressure of 9,000 pounds per square inch (psi). The pressure of the water at 5,000 feet is counteracting that pressure and bringing the flow pressure at the wellhead to 3,500 psi. For comparison, a crocodile's bite is measured at 5,000 psi.

Ok, given by doing simple math that the person who wrote this is claiming that the pressure at 5,000 feet is 9000-3500 or 5,500 PSI and it is in fact nearer to 2400 PSI one would be safe in assuming that the writer have no clue at all and the 9,000 figure can not be given any credit.

You are free to dispute whatever numbers you like.

Cycloptichorn
BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:

The number for the oil pressure is in a story that contain another very large pressure error right by it and quoted no one at all as a prime source for that figure of 9000 PSI it came out of the thin air of the Christian Monitor article.

The last I look that is not a paper with any expertise in the oil or drilling fields in house.

So please explain why anyone would or should give it any credit at all?
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:09 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
For comparison, a crocodile's bite is measured at 5,000 psi.

Well that can't be much because I read that it's easy to hold a crocodile's jaws open. You just put a 36 inch stick pointed at both ends in between the two parts of its jaws and the croc is completely fucked. Rider Haggard I think it was who advised his young readers that that was how to deal with biting crocodiles.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:17 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:

The number for the oil pressure is in a story that contain another very large pressure error right by it and quoted no one at all as a prime source for that figure of 9000 PSI it came out of the thin air of the Christian Monitor article.

The last I look that is not a paper with any expertise in the oil or drilling fields in house.

So please explain why anyone would or should give it any credit at all?

I really don't give a **** what you believe, Bill.

If you don't trust that source, find one that you do trust and post it here.

Suffice it to say that the oil is spewing out at a high enough pressure, that simply dropping a ton of fill on top of it isn't going to do the job.

Cycloptichorn
chai2

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

I don't understand why you couldn't have a giant cone-shaped funnel, that works to contain the oil in a limited area after it's come out of the leak; and then clarify the water in that limited area as soon as possible. You could probably even recover a lot of the oil.

Cycloptichorn

I was actually talking to someone about a very similar idea within the last couple of hours.

I was thinking why not make a clyndrical barrier wall around the immediate area, and boats above could keep pumping it out.
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@chai2,
Quote:
I was thinking why not make a clyndrical barrier wall around the immediate area, and boats above could keep pumping it out.

Where to? Cuba maybe. Or Mexico.
BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Suffice it to say that the oil is spewing out at a high enough pressure, that simply dropping a ton of fill on top of it isn't going to do the job.

A source I been looking for primary sources without any luck but I seen pressures quoted up to 100,000 PSI with no backing at all on the net!

The Christian Monitor is not a source when it come to oil rigs and I would bet that the writer of the article does not even know what PSI stand for!

And I was stating a few thousand tons of fill not a few tons of fill and if a pipe can contain the pressure whatever the hell it is then a few thousands tons of fill should be able to also.

Now once more where the hell is Farmerman when you need him????
spendius

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:33 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
Now once more where the hell is Farmerman when you need him????

After gungasnake's last post he's in his study.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:36 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

Where to? Cuba maybe. Or Mexico.

good lord you're a douchebag.

This is while they are drilling the 2nd and 3rd (and more backups if needed) tap wells into the existing pipe (which I heard this A.M. will take months and months.

The oil would be pumped into....oh....I don't know....oil tankers maybe? and that oil can be taken to land, refined and sold.

When the tap wells are complete and functioning properly, the wall could be removed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:43 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
And I was stating a few thousand tons of fill not a few tons of fill and if a pipe can contain the pressure whatever the hell it is then a few thousands tons of fill should be able to also.

No, it won't - without internal rigidity, the force of the outflow will carve through that fill like butter. The 'thousands of tons' of force are spread amongst the huge surface area of that fill; it doesn't provide much force to any one specific point.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Like peeing in the snow.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
that always reminds me, I'm glad my name is not Bartholomew...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:49 pm
I'm glad my name is not Patsy Darlene.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
yeah.

that would be hard to pee, and get you beat up.

you win...
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 05:53 pm
@Rockhead,
That was to have been my real name, had I been born female. Razz
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 06:06 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
No, it won't - without internal rigidity, the force of the outflow will carve through that fill like butter. The 'thousands of tons' of force are spread amongst the huge surface area of that fill; it doesn't provide much force to any one specific point.

Well as I said I am not a civil engineer however the term fill does not need to be a material that is all so fine that an oil stream can just melt it way through it.

I would picture using materials that is indeed fine gravel to rocks that weight in at a few hundreds pounds at least.

The same kind of fill you would employ to created an earth dam.

Beside Farmerman is there someone in the house with more knowledge then the posters to date at least is there a civil engineer around?

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:22 pm
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/3087550.bin?size=620x400
BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:24 pm
@Ceili,
And your point is what?
0 Replies