Creative ideas to clean up and/or stop the oil spill

snood

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:03 pm
Here's one idea from a supposed teenaged genius

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/national/leak_solution_Zw3RdLcmYcdsA4UAz6WMwM
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:10 pm
@snood,
She has a good idea. Not sure how you'd get them down to the seabed and then stuffed into the pipe though. Would need the submersible vehicle to do it I guess.

Quote:
The Northport native, who started reading before she could walk and who at 18 broke a 300-year-old record to become the youngest-ever college professor, proposes surrounding a pipe with deflated automobile tires, inserting it into the leaking riser, and then inflating the wheels to form a seal.

"I figured experts would know more about it than I did but their ideas didn't work," she said. "So I started thinking about it."

The prodigy, who has received awards and fellowships from NASA and the Department of Defense, decided to take a different tack from BP's latest strategy, the "lower marine riser package," in which the riser pipe is cut and a housing is placed over it to collect the oil.

"This was a thought experiment," she said. "They tried covering it and now they're trying to block it, and it seems they are trying things that go on it or around it.

"I started thinking of something that goes inside it."

The tires might not be able to fully inflate inside the pipe, but the resulting seal would be able to stem the flow of oil and redirect it into a new pipe, she said. A valve in the pipe could be closed to block the oil or open to allow it to flow, presumably to a ship on the surface.

Sabur admitted that she's not certain the inflated tires would be enough to hold the new pipe in place.

"But if it works, then it might be possible to then put something on top of it -- to brace the inserted pipe -- to do something more permanent," she said. "Obviously, I hope that what they're doing now works. It's just absolutely terrible."

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:13 pm
@Butrflynet,
I don't think she understands how tires inflate...
Butrflynet

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:15 pm
@Rockhead,
It would be similar to using a stint in a blood vein so you can inflate a balloon to unblock a vein. Only, in this case, you'd be inflating the tire to block the pipe tube.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:19 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

Quote:
As for the PSI question, the well is currently venting oil at 9000 or so PSI, just as I reported. It is at a much, much higher pressure then you seem to believe it is.

Maybe 9000 PSI compare to surface pressure of 15 PSI but I can not see how it could be venting at 9000 PSI compare to the ocean floor pressure or no tubing or cap or concrete would or could contain it.

The important figure is not absolute pressure but relative pressure compare to it surroundings in this case the ocean floor pressure at one mile.

PSI is an absolute measurement... it's not determined by the pressure around it. Water pressure at that depth should be around 2400 PSI, so the pressure differential is still FAR too big to just dump a bunch of fill on top of it.

Cycloptichorn
Sglass

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:20 pm
@snood,
Okay it is a mile to the floor of the ocean, how deep did they drill from the ocean bottom. How far from the bottom is the break? Still think that an offset drilling operation will relieve the pressure and the hole can be capped.

Anyone seen any of the geological maps for the area. What do the logs say?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:20 pm
@Butrflynet,
the physics of what makes a car tire work will not work at those depths, in my opinion...
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If so then please explain how a metal cap or placing mud and concrete in the tube could contain that amount of pressure or for that matter how a fairly thin pipe wall could contain that amount of pressure anywhere along the pipe.

It does not made any kind of sense to me that somehow a metal pipe wall not all that thick can contain 9,000 PSI.
CarbonSystem

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:35 pm
@BillRM,
actually, it's very likely spills like these will ruin the earth.
ask yourself this question, would it be okay for this to continue for the rest of your life?

if no, then it's clearly ruining the earth.
if yes, you must never eat seafood/don't like the beach.
perhaps it isn't a cataclysmic ruin, but a ruin nonetheless.

for example:

you're eating a delicious plate of spaghetti on your back patio when a bird flies overhead and poops right on your plate. you exclaim; "damn bird! now my dinner is ruined!"

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:38 pm
Summon all oil tank ships to the area and have them soak up the oil via special
vacuum.

To close-up the leak, drill next to the existing hole and insert a huge flexible pipe
to divert the oil into new channels.
BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:43 pm
@CarbonSystem,
Sorry the oil pocket is not unlimited and somewhere I saw the figure of a few years not decades before all the oil in that pocket would be used up.

Ruining earth instead of doing some local harm are not one and the same thing.

Mother nature had out done anything mankind could do many many times over up to covering the whole planet with a mile thick sheet of ice.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:45 pm
http://www.homedepot.ca/wcsstore/HomeDepotCanada/images/catalog/15814.BC00332_4.jpg
It's simple. Make a big bladder hose and slip it in.
Sglass

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 02:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
How many pounds of pressure are they dealing with?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:10 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:

If so then please explain how a metal cap or placing mud and concrete in the tube could contain that amount of pressure or for that matter how a fairly thin pipe wall could contain that amount of pressure anywhere along the pipe.

It does not made any kind of sense to me that somehow a metal pipe wall not all that thick can contain 9,000 PSI.

Well, I'm no engineer, I'm just reporting to you what the news is reporting regarding the PSI of the oil gusher. You can take it up with them if you don't agree it's accurate.

Cycloptichorn
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:13 pm
@Sglass,
Of course that little device is silly to consider, but the principle behind it is sound. I thought about it while reading about the girl advocating sticking in tires and inflating them.
BillRM

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:15 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Well, I'm no engineer, I'm just reporting to you what the news is reporting regarding the PSI of the oil gusher. You can take it up with them if you don't agree it's accurate.

Well I am not that type of engineer either and where the hell if farmerman when you need him?

In any case if you would be so kind give me a link to those pressure figures as I had yet to come across them in my google searches looking for them.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:16 pm
@edgarblythe,
I like ed's idea.

but make in hydraulic instead of pneumatic.

and steel instead of rubber.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:25 pm
@BillRM,
I did give a link which reported them -

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0603/BP-oil-spill-Next-step-is-to-attach-a-giant-garden-hose-seal

The pressure 1 mile deep in the ocean I calculated myself.

Cycloptichorn
Linkat

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:49 pm
I just thought of a cheap simple way - just throw a lighted match onto it.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:52 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I just thought of a cheap simple way - just throw a lighted match onto it.

Doesn't work, it won't stay lit long enough to burn off a significant amount, and doesn't do anything for the plumes under the water.

Cycloptichorn