California bill bans 'open carry' for guns

dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 02:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You want everyone who responds to toe your line while you go railing about California and tomatoes? I said I agreed re a rancher needing to take his gun on a ride to his sister's, which is past what you said, going to the truck in front of your house.
bullshit on top of more bullshit, I have never "railed" against california although I have made sarcastic remarks, in terms of tomatoes, I quite simply asked for an explanation (unbiased) why heirloom tomatoes better than gentetically alhered tomatos (try read comprehension) and yes your comments are "past what I said." you obviously have an issue with "guns" in general and can't get past your attitude of anti-guns. As I've stated in the past, if you want to support antigun laws, you need to be rational rather an emotional. in this arena you have failed.
roger

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 03:51 pm
@Eva,
Even Oklahoma has some screwy gun laws, or did in the mid '70s when I was there. I was advised by one sporting goods store that if I bought the gun I was looking at, they had to put it into a bag. When I left the store, I was required to take it out of the bag. By the way, Eva, is Dongs Sporting Goods still in business?

Personally, I favor concealed carry on the grounds that it's much less provocative. A protected right, but just not my own idea of good judgement. Openly carrying an unloaded gun strikes me as suicidal, but that's again my own judgement.
Eva

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 04:17 pm
Carrying a gun openly but not being allowed to have it loaded...reminds me of Barney Fife, it does.

I wouldn't know, Roger. Lemme check the yellow pages.........yeah, there it is. It's called "Dong's Guns, Ammo & Reloading" now. I'm not sure about the punctuation, though. They may have left out a comma before "Guns." Laughing
roger

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 05:13 pm
@Eva,
I may have been wrong, too. It's been 30 years, and we just called it Dongs. That would have been Mae and Fong Dong, though I imagine their multitude of kids are running it now.

And, yeah, they did take a certain amount of flak over the name.
oralloy

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 05:40 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
California bill bans 'open carry' for guns
By Jim Sanders | The Sacramento Bee

Their anti-freedom agenda is a bit out of date. Won't be too long before the Supreme Court makes them let people carry guns.

Though I guess California would be free to specify that the guns have to be carried concealed instead of open, if they wanted to make such a requirement.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:08 pm
@dyslexia,
I said I think the bill is sloppy.
When I was in California, had this come up, I'd probably have been against it, as written.

My personal likes do matter. I have lived in a town filled with guns. They ruin my cup of tea, but more, develop a 'community' atmosphere that I consider threatening, for good reasons. I lived four blocks away from the main drug distribution spot, lots of hemorrhaging going on.

I have also told you I am not against you taking your firearm to your truck outside of your property line and posted so here. Bills can distinguish this kind of move from thugs on wheels.

On my not liking something, that's my privilege.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:16 pm
@dyslexia,
Dys, do you want me to pull up all your remarks about california? I agree they may not show up with our present search system, but I've noticed many of them, pulsing taunts. I thought you and I agreed that they were friendly.

You get to be emotional when you want, but I need to be a neo JoefromChicago, or Robert, or Thomas, whoever is the most swift on arguing?

Your anger is interesting.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:21 pm
@dyslexia,
We talked, and he agree that he railed against California all the time and I said I did not take railing seriously, re friendship. Sometimes it bums me. We argue all the time in real life.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 06:22 pm
@dyslexia,
I'm not actually anti guns, that depends. I'm pretty much against them in, say, the grocery store. I decline to mention donut shops again, what with the obvious connection to the police.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 07:04 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
...And, yeah, they did take a certain amount of flak over the name.

Given my real-life last name, I'm entitled to laugh. Laughing
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:36 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:
Carrying a gun openly but not being allowed to have it loaded...reminds me of Barney Fife, it does.
Yes; it is an indignity.

At the end of each ep which had touched upon
that theme, invariably, the writers had Barney accidentally discharge his revolver,
whereupon he was made to surrender it to Andy, leaving Barney 100% helpless.

Good thing he lived in Mayberry, not in California.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 12:51 am
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I am not for it.
dyslexia wrote:
this statement pretty much sums up your response to this thread. the thing is your personal likes/dislikes does not, in any way, justify the enactment of law.
Of course, I must agree with your assertion.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 01:01 am
@roger,
roger wrote:
Even Oklahoma has some screwy gun laws, or did in the mid '70s when I was there. I was advised by one sporting goods store that if I bought the gun I was looking at, they had to put it into a bag. When I left the store, I was required to take it out of the bag.
I have never understood the reasoning for requiring guns to be carried openly, exposed to vu.
To my mind, that is odd, screwy and looney.

Obviously, criminals will ignore the law because thay r criminals.

It is a mystery
what good is expected to result from such a law.

Is it that people who favor such law yearn to be really, really sweet to citizens seen openly bearing guns,
so as not to rouse their ire ?

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 6 Jun, 2010 01:18 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Osso, I offer this post, re-iterated,
for your consideration ??

ossobuco wrote:
To clarify, la familia is the ascendent drug cartel described at length in that article. A combo of (to me) horrifyingly murderous people, and a group that nurtures locals, as long as they don't disagree. Now much more popular than the army & various police - which have also been infiltrated - and much more popular than Calderon. The article left me seeing how people could feel that way.

This is a situation where some just stay inside, complications described in the article.

How is this relevant?

I see guys walking into donut shops carrying, with or without bullets,
to bring up this whole possible scenario.

I am not for it.
Just out of curiosity, if I may:
let us imagine that u chance upon a doughnut shop filled with police in uniform,
each of whom has a gun on his (or her) hip,

will this equally incur your disfavor ?

David
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 06:15 am
Among this morning's news stories was one of a woman attempting to shoot another on a bus. The woman toting disliked the loud cell phone conversation of the woman aimed at. Hey! Let's arm everyone!
plainoldme

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2010 06:17 am
I was just struck by the silliness of david's irregular spelling campaign. How does he know that "they" is more authentically spelled "thay?"

Think about it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:29 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
Among this morning's news stories was one of a woman attempting to shoot another on a bus.
The woman toting disliked the loud cell phone conversation of the woman aimed at. Hey! Let's arm everyone!
No need; thay 'll arm themselves (but if u wanna be so generous with your own guns, go ahead)
as thay always have, but people who have proven to be intolerably dangerous recidivists (armed or unarmed)
shoud be permanently removed from contact with the decent people, n preferably removed from the North American Continent.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 04:33 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I was just struck by the silliness of david's irregular spelling campaign.
How does he know that "they" is more authentically spelled "thay?"

Think about it.
In ALL my years n decades in America,
EVERYONE has always pronounced that word with a long A at the end.

Thaaaaaaaaaaaa.

I suspect that I 'd be genuinely AFRAID
to be a student in one of your classes, Prof. PLain.
plainoldme

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 05:33 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Try jumping, david. Things are buzzing over your head.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2010 09:50 pm
@plainoldme,
not a jumper; no jumping

not a dancer, either

0 Replies