California bill bans 'open carry' for guns

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:35 am
Wednesday, June 2, 2010
By Jim Sanders | The Sacramento Bee

California lawmakers are taking aim at a protest movement that encourages participants to show up at public places en masse with handguns strapped to their side.

The "Open Carry" movement sparked shock waves last year when about a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, stood outside an Arizona convention center where President Barack Obama was speaking.

The California Assembly narrowly passed legislation Tuesday to prohibit the practice, which typically is meant to protest gun-control laws or the scarcity of concealed-weapons permits. It is legal if the guns are not loaded.

"We think it's an accident waiting to happen," Amanda Wilcox, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said of gun-toting protesters mixing with frightened citizens in public places.

Wilcox said that allowing firearms in public " recently such a demonstration occurred in downtown Sacramento " sends the wrong message to children.

"Kids are normally trained not to touch a gun, and it sends a very confusing message when they see a firearm in the holster of someone next to them in a Starbucks," said Wilcox, whose 19-year-old daughter was shot to death in a Nevada County rampage almost a decade ago.

But Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, said the legislation passed Tuesday, Assembly Bill 1934, is an attempt to stifle the constitutional right to bear arms.

"You just urinated on the Second Amendment, as far as I'm concerned," Paredes said outside Assembly chambers after the vote.

Assemblyman Chuck DeVore, R-Irvine, said the bill violates free-speech rights, too, by targeting protesters.

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger has taken no position on the bill.

To read the complete article, visit www.sacbee.com.

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2010/06/02/95180/california-bill-bans-open-carry.html#ixzz0phqr3TPQ
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 3,423 • Replies: 59
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:24 am
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The California Assembly narrowly passed legislation Tuesday to prohibit the practice, which typically is meant to protest gun-control laws or the scarcity of concealed-weapons permits. It is legal if the guns are not loaded.

I think men should just be required to display their penis measurement and sperm count at all times. I think it would cut down on a lot of this behavior.

Net worth and net annual income could be added to the list as well, I suppose.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:32 am
california is a ******* disaster area and the state legislature is spending its time worrying about public open-carry unloaded firearms? Perhaps some thought could be given towards their economy.
maporsche

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:45 am
@dyslexia,
Why would they?

You know as well as I do that the federal government will bail them out.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:09 am
@maporsche,
well, a part of this that really makes me irate is that those legistators mostly consider themselves "liberal." I am an extreme liberal and I have open carried LOADED firearms in public. Fortunately I live in New Mexico.
Eva

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:09 pm
If the open-carry folks in California start feeling a bit outnumbered, they could always move to Oklahoma and run for the state legislature. They'd fit right in.

(Just trying to be helpful.)
maporsche

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 04:46 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

well, a part of this that really makes me irate is that those legistators mostly consider themselves "liberal." I am an extreme liberal and I have open carried LOADED firearms in public. Fortunately I live in New Mexico.

I don't disagree with you dys. Those people in California are bat-**** crazy. Just like my people in Illinois.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:18 pm
I have to read the whole bill. Sounds sloppy.

I could not be less enthused about old cowboys and new thugs carrying openly sans bullets at a local donut shop, even with their bullets in their car/backpack, filofax, blackberry, garage.

I don't mind some guy, let's say, an old cowboy, bringing his rifle to his sister's farm, to nab the (predator animal). Ok, I somewhat mind it, but I get the reasoning.

Meantime, we have some amazing cartels forming, having had formed, in Mexico, and the whole gun thing is whackeroo. Apparently we're providing vastly expanded amounts of armor to a lot of iffy places, plus being the drug feeders in the first place. Like, the procedure is coming home.

And some will disagree with Finnegan's observations, which I'd also have an ear for.

This annoys me, it is just an abstract (does this mean the guy is writing a book?) It costs to see the article if you aren't a subscriber, I'm guessing a couple of dollars. This drives me nuts, even though I understand the need for income. I would like people to see this article free.

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/05/31/100531fa_fact_finnegan
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:38 pm
@ossobuco,
If anyone seriously wants to see the article, I will scan and send it. I like the new yorker, though I've often disagreed. I'd like it to continue as a magazine.

I think they are killing themselves by shutting off whole articles.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 05:46 pm
@ossobuco,
To continue, I think of the closings as shut down versus live up.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 06:50 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

Wednesday, June 2, 2010
By Jim Sanders | The Sacramento Bee

California lawmakers are taking aim at a protest movement that encourages participants to show up at public places en masse with handguns strapped to their side.

The "Open Carry" movement sparked shock waves last year when about a dozen people carrying guns, including one with a military-style rifle, stood outside an Arizona convention center where President Barack Obama was speaking.

"We think it's an accident waiting to happen," Amanda Wilcox, of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, said of gun-toting protesters mixing with frightened citizens in public places.

Wilcox said that allowing firearms in public " recently such a demonstration occurred in downtown Sacramento "
sends the wrong message to children
An attack in subversion of the FIRST AMENDMENT.

David
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:25 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
I am an extreme liberal and I have open carried LOADED firearms in public. Fortunately I live in New Mexico.

Extreme liberals who want to open carry are few and far between. In fact, it's you and Huey Newton.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:51 pm
@ebrown p,
Dys has been a long time rancher, and gets being able to drive with a rifle in his truck.

I worry, though, re all I read in that Finnegan article, and the pros and cons, not so much re new mexico, but mexico. I'm not a mexico fear freak (see some past threads of my arguing with cjane), but I wish I could just link the thing so we could talk about it. Plus, I'm freaking more.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:53 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:
I am an extreme liberal and I have open carried LOADED firearms in public. Fortunately I live in New Mexico.

Extreme liberals who want to open carry are few and far between. In fact, it's you and Huey Newton.

bullshit
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 07:54 pm
@ossobuco,
I don't think our bill of rights means we can carry any damn weapon at any time. No matter what those who disagree with me say.

Tosses you an a-bomb.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:08 pm
@dyslexia,
I was just jokin' with you Dys.

When I was a teenager, I read a biography of Huey Newton. It might surprise you that he was a hero of mine for a bit.
dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:25 pm
@ebrown p,
in 1967 I was severely beaten by some "peaceniks" because I was a vietnam vet re "baby killer" 5 months later I was severely beaten by some "patriots" because I protested the vietnam war. after those incidents I open carried a smith-wesson .38 legally . knee-jerk reactionaries tend to piss me off.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:39 pm
Most persons in the correct circumstance will pick up a gun - and ideology flies out the door.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:48 pm
@dyslexia,
Beaten by pacifists-- that's something most of us haven't experienced.

I don't think the fact there are a few crazies who are knee-jerk reactionaries should give the rest of us a bad name.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 08:58 pm
following my years at university I worked with the Colorado Migrant Council assisting the Bracero program in getting public health standards for the bracero housing camps, I then worked with the Congress On Racial Equality helping to register voters, worked for the Department of Mental Health as program coordinator to establish community living programs for mental health patients and for the last 22 years before retirement I worked in Child Protection. During all the above I was a gun owner/hunter and rancher. Today I read a post of a newspaper article saying that if a bill passes in california and I lived there I could be fined $1,000 and charged with a crime for carrying an unloaded firearm from my front door to my truck parked on the street in front of my house.