California bill bans 'open carry' for guns

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 09:04 pm
@dyslexia,
I am not arguing with you, Dys, as you know. Sloppy law.

However, I wish someone would read the damned Nyer article.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:44 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I don't think our bill of rights means we can carry any damn weapon at any time.
No matter what those who disagree with me say.

Tosses you an a-bomb.
There were no police anywhere in the USA anywhere in the USA when the Bill of Rights was enacted in 1791,
nor were there any police in England either, until the following century. Every citizen was expected to defend himself.
In the same spirit as modern seatbelt laws, there were laws in Colonial times requiring the citizens to be armed.

Being unarmed was considered very irresponsible.

David

0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:45 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
I am not arguing with you, Dys, as you know. Sloppy law.

However, I wish someone would read the damned Nyer article.
OK, I 'lll read it when I get a chance.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
The California Assembly narrowly passed legislation Tuesday to prohibit the practice, which typically is meant to protest gun-control laws or the scarcity of concealed-weapons permits. It is legal if the guns are not loaded.

I think men should just be required to display their penis measurement and sperm count at all times. I think it would cut down on a lot of this behavior.

Net worth and net annual income could be added to the list as well, I suppose.
Y r u so obsessed with OUR penises ?

David

Note that I 've taken my girlfriend target shooting at a gunnery range
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:51 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Good, David, that may be locally available, being just from last week. Where you can get that, I don't know, maybe local library, or, online, with a fee if you are not a subscriber. Scary article, not to incite you.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:53 pm
@ossobuco,
By the time I get my NYer in the mail, another week's stuff is happening. Or, once in a while, two weeks.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 10:56 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
I am an extreme liberal and I have open carried LOADED firearms in public. Fortunately I live in New Mexico.
ebrown p wrote:
Extreme liberals who want to open carry are few and far between. In fact, it's you and Huey Newton.
U left out Democrat Rep. John Dingell of Michigan, the Dean of the US House of Representatives.
He was on the Board of Directors of the NRA.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:00 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
Good, David, that may be locally available, being just from last week.
Where you can get that, I don't know, maybe local library, or, online, with a fee if you are not a subscriber.
Scary article, not to incite you.
I am not a subscriber.
I did not realize that it was going to be troublesome to acquire it.

What is the jist of the article ?
ossobuco

Reply Wed 2 Jun, 2010 11:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
The article, like most new yorker articles, tabs to many pages, in this case very descriptive ones. You may well end up agreeing with yourself after reading it, but learn a lot.

I've no interest in posting a jist, the article is too complex.

You could also pay for it, I'm guessing something like $2.50., but as I am not able to do that, I'd hardly promote you doing it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:03 am
@ossobuco,
From your link:

The New Yorker wrote:
"the dismembered body of a young man was left in the middle of the main intersection. It was an instance of what people call corpse messaging. Usually it involves a mutilated body and a handwritten sign. “Talked too much.” “You get what you deserve.” The corpse’s message"terror"was clear enough and everybody knew who left it: La Familia Michoacana, a crime syndicate whose depredations pervade the life of the region. Mexico’s president, Felipe Calerón declared war"his metaphor"on the country’s drug traffickers when he took office, in December, 2006. It was a popular move. Although large-scale trafficking had been around for decades, the violence associated with the drug trade had begun to spiral out of control. More than twenty-three thousand people have died since Calderón’s declaration. La Inseguridad, as Mexicans call it, has become engulfing, with drugs sliding far down the list of public concerns, below kidnapping, extortion, torture, unemployment, and simple fear of leaving the house.

The big crime syndicates still earn billions from drugs"
This all resulted from the HUGE subsidy that government gave the drug industry by enacting a PROHIBITION.

IF u wanna END the problems described in the quoted material,
then END the great boon of the Prohibition
and the bottom will drop out of the narcotics market.

ALL of those 1000s of victims mentioned in the quote
were slaughtered by government by that Prohibition.

I cannot comment upon Mexican jurisdiction,
but for sure, in America, government was never granted jd to decide what any citizen coud ingest.
It has that power only by USURPATION. Deaths resulting from illegal drugs were caused by that USURPATION of fony jd.

David
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 03:10 am

Of course, all crimes (robberies, burglaries and murders) by addicts
who were desperately trying raise funds to buy the Prohibited drugs
resulted from the intermedling of government also.

That state of affairs will continue.

Government (by its Prohibition) is the main partner of the drug lords.

For the drug lords,
the worst POSSIBLE catastrophe that coud happen is legalization, ending the Prohibition.

Prices woud fall like a rock. There 'd be no money in it any more to justify continuing the industry.

David
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 06:39 am
well I see noone here is capable of addressing the issues raised by this thread. It's not about drugs or mexico or the constitution. It is about mindless twits elected by pinheads in the state of california attempting to enact legislation of which they have zero comprehension or common sense. It might just as well been a law about what colour your allowed to paint your front door or what type of tomato (heirloom or hybrid) you're allowed to plant in your garden. Absolutely mindless legislation while the very social/economic fabric of california dissolves into puddles of misbegotten ****.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:11 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
It's a complex situation there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:16 pm
@dyslexia,
I did address it, in my way, and then I made a tangential post to link to an article that made me lose sleep, with not unrelated law and order issues, while you rattle on about tomatoes.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 07:24 pm
@ossobuco,
no you didn't, you did the same kind of segue that David does. this is not about law and order or gun control, it's about inane legislation.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:18 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
no you didn't, you did the same kind of segue that David does.
this is not about law and order or gun control, it's about inane legislation.
The same phenomenon can be seen from different angles, resulting in differing observations,
all of which are valid n correct; (multiple blind men describing an elephant).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:35 pm
@dyslexia,
Did I not agree the assembly bill was/is sloppy? You want everyone who responds to toe your line while you go railing about California and tomatoes? I said I agreed re a rancher needing to take his gun on a ride to his sister's, which is past what you said, going to the truck in front of your house.

I understand the sister thing can be, say, la familia, but can also be entirely innocent. I'm not sure I agree with myself, after that article.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 3 Jun, 2010 10:47 pm
@ossobuco,
To clarify, la familia is the ascendent drug cartel described at length in that article. A combo of (to me) horrifyingly murderous people, and a group that nurtures locals, as long as they don't disagree. Now much more popular than the army & various police - which have also been infiltrated - and much more popular than Calderon. The article left me seeing how people could feel that way.

This is a situation where some just stay inside, complications described in the article.

How is this relevant? I see guys walking into donut shops carrying, with or without bullets, to bring up this whole possible scenario. I am not for it.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2010 06:51 am
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:
To clarify, la familia is the ascendent drug cartel described at length in that article. A combo of (to me) horrifyingly murderous people, and a group that nurtures locals, as long as they don't disagree. Now much more popular than the army & various police - which have also been infiltrated - and much more popular than Calderon. The article left me seeing how people could feel that way.

This is a situation where some just stay inside, complications described in the article.

How is this relevant?

I see guys walking into donut shops carrying, with or without bullets,
to bring up this whole possible scenario.

I am not for it.
Just out of curiosity, if I may:
let us imagine that u chance upon a doughnut shop filled with police in uniform,
each of whom has a gun on his (or her) hip,

will this equally incur your disfavor ?

David
dyslexia

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2010 02:14 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I am not for it.
this statement pretty much sums up your response to this thread. the thing is your personal likes/dislikes does not, in any way, justify the enactment of law.