Impressions on A2K

msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:12 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
How many of you think that there are people here who are not what they claim to be?

Well a few come to mind! But I'm not naming any names, OK? Wink

But about whether people are the "real" them here .....
Hard to say, exactly, without having actually met them. Though I suspect most people post about real aspects of their thoughts & their doings ...
I doubt that I've presented my 100% "real self" here. There are things that I consider private & simply don't want to post on the internet for all & sundry to read about. But, for the most part, I'm posting pretty much what my thoughts & views on a number of subjects actually are & also quite a bit that I'm actually doing. Though not everything.
Thomas

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:17 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I also was taken aback by the tone of someone that I had fond . . . but vague . . . memories of, someone who I thought was regarded as a wise person. Instead, I find myself squirming a bit every time I read what this person writes as most of it consists of unwarranted attacks.

Have you considered that it might be some transformation in your own character? Tastes change. Indeed, I'm pretty sure I remember that back in the days when your avatar was a cow, you and I generally didn't get a long. I don't believe my character has changed much over the last 10 years, so maybe it is you.
Thomas

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:25 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:
I wonder just how long one can continue . . . shall we call it . . . an inauthentic personality.

That depends on how the personality got to be inauthentic. Several persons I've known weren't even inauthentic on purpose. These persons seemed unusually cheerful online. When I got to know them in real life, this impression turned out to be false. In reality, they underwent strong mood swings, but only posted in the up-phases of those swings. During the down-phases, they were too depressed to talk to anyone, so their online correspondents never got to see this side in them. This kind of "inauthenticity" is sustainable forever.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:26 pm
@msolga,
I have no doubts of the people I talk with, whether or not we agree. If I do, I skip it - but that doesn't come up often. You are the recent newbie, pom, while I know you and vouch for your vocifererousness.
msolga

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I have no doubts of the people I talk with..

I also have no doubts about the authenticity of most folk I communicate with on a regular basis here, especially those who I've "known" for years, back to Abuzz days, even. I think I probably know these people as well as it's possible to know anyone via online interaction.

I do take Thomas' point, though. I (also) tend to post less if I'm really down. (Though I did start a thread about ways of getting back up, the last time this occurred. Hadn't ever done that before! Must be feeling a lot more comfortable around this place these days! Smile )
0 Replies

oolongteasup

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 10:50 pm
@Rockhead,
Quote:
Gus is really a capybara farmer with a tractor fetish

rockhead must be dyslexia

gus is a tractor farmer with a capybara fetish
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:18 pm
@plainoldme,
Quote:
Instead, I find myself squirming a bit every time I read what this person writes as most of it consists of unwarranted attacks

i can maintain my facade of glib immaturity ad nauseum if you don't mind
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:35 pm
@ossobuco,
Nods to Thomas.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:43 pm
@oolongteasup,
I'd prefer not to be taken as a suckup, but oolong is leagues brighter than me and almost always startles me with thought.

Thus I await an oolong mistake.
oolongteasup

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
oolong is leagues brighter than me

we are the same
ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 11:51 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

I have no doubts of the people I talk with, whether or not we agree. If I do, I skip it - but that doesn't come up often. You are the recent newbie, pom, while I know you and vouch for your vocifererousness.
[/quo]

That's not true, that I skip it, we all know I'll just rail away re disagreeing, if I am awake and posting.

Sigh.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:05 am
@ossobuco,
Ah, that was an old, I thought deleted post.

But it's true, pom and I somewhat agree and somewhat do no not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:13 am
@oolongteasup,
Well, you would say that, you are a zen type, eh?
ossobuco

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 12:31 am
@ossobuco,
I"m looking to listen.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 04:01 am
I'm not even consistent from one minute to the next, let alone claim to have a stable and definable personality. "Here" or "Out There".
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 06:53 am
Me jerk one day - nice guy next.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:28 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I'm not even consistent from one minute to the next, let alone claim to have a stable and definable personality. "Here" or "Out There".

Yet we would have a personality in our minds for you based on your postings over time. I bet you have one for others here, too.

I would venture to posit that it would be a much sketchier and two-dimensional one than your real life close folk have, but not dissimilar in essence.

Though we have many facets, and one can always see new ones, over time these multiple facets generally have a consistency.

0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:37 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
I really am a retired trapeze artist from Costa Rica.
You were retried ?? You should have got a good lawyer...
0 Replies

Ionus

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 07:43 am
Quote:
Impressions on A2K
Me Tarzan...you sane ???
Wait, wait......I can do another ....."You dirty rat, you feeling lucky punk" ?
Guess who....
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 29 May, 2010 01:07 pm
My problem when posting is that all the fun interesting stuff of inflection and body language etc are missing, so I'm never really sure if the text I write has the response I might expect.

For me, in the real world, unless I am listening to a mathematical/technical lecture, the way things are spoken is at least as important as what is spoken, alas most of that is lost in text only.