Green Witch

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 05:43 pm
@Reyn,
Our local fast food encourages older applicants, maybe you need to move to the US. I think the problem is these employers are looking at you and thinking something along the lines of "out of work accountant, will leave as soon as something better comes along". It's not so much age as they believe you will grab the next better opportunity. I usually don't hire people I feel are over qualified because I'm afraid they will get bored or quit because they have more options to do so.

I've noticed more people 60+ in retail the last few years. I assume it's because they can't afford to retire or are looking to get out of the house. As someone who sometimes has to hire teenagers and college students I wish I could hire more mature folks. Maybe I'm just getting old myself, but young people rarely know proper job etiquette and make a strong effort to spend most of the time on their cell phone or Blackberry. I've never had to tell a person over the age of 30 to "put the Gameboy down and start the chainsaw".

chai2

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 06:58 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

Yes, indeed!

The thing is that I'm very motivated to get some extra income right now. I just need someone to at least give me an interview, listen to me, and see what I'm about in-person, instead of giving my resume a 15 second read.

Having said that, my interview that I got today for the order picker job went fine, I thought, but it's just an initial screening. Apparently, if chosen for a second one, they'll let you know.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

I'm crossing my fingers for you too.
0 Replies

Pemerson

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:25 pm
Why would it bother you, Linkat to see old people working? What do you propose to do about that? You will be old some day. Do you want people nosing into why you are doing whatever you're doing? I don't think anybody doing any job would be there at all if they couldn't handle the work.
George

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:33 am
@Pemerson,
Pemerson wrote:
. . . I don't think anybody doing any job would be there at all if they
couldn't handle the work.

Oh, I dunno about that.

I see plenty of people doing jobs on which they can't handle the work.
Perhaps "holding jobs" would be more accurate than "doing jobs".
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:39 am
@Pemerson,
Quote:
I don't think anybody doing any job would be there at all if they couldn't handle the work.
LOL
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:39 am
I've known a couple of very social older people who just could not stand retirement. They needed to talk to people.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:43 am
@George,
When my brother worked in a grocery store while he was in college (class of 1975), he said that most of the shoplifters were senior citizens. Generally, they were well groomed women stealing bologna or some other form of protein.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:46 am
@plainoldme,
I can't stand retirement either, I prefer the sofa. (and a gallon jug of "Navajo Nights Finest Fortified Wine" near at hand). If it weren't for sloth I wouldn't have any redeemable traits. Well, we all got our good defects and our bad defects and I like to stay well balanced.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:49 am
@Green Witch,
If you see older people in retail, it is probably a by-product of age discrimination. Not being hired weighs people down, so they stop applying for full-time jobs and just settle for retail. I know far too many women who gave up on ever having what I call a "real job" and just work retail, moving to another store when they are fed up with folding shirts.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:51 am
@Pemerson,
I remember a very old woman bussing tables at the university cafeteria at WSU. A friend of mine . . . now retired himself . . . spoke about how sad it was that this woman had to hold a job so lacking in dignity. I think linkat might have something along those lines in mind.
plainoldme

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 08:51 am
@dyslexia,
I laughed out loud when I read your post.
dyslexia

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:08 am
@plainoldme,
I hate it when youngsters laugh at us senior citizens. I often pee on their feet.
George

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:22 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

. . . (and a gallon jug of "Navajo Nights Finest Fortified Wine" near at hand). . .

Vintage: Tuesday
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:23 am
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

If it weren't for sloth I wouldn't have any redeemable traits.

No wonder we get along so well!

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:27 am
@Izzie,
What about the case where the old person (and of course this would apply to any age in a sense), can no longer function in their job - in other words does not meet the basic requirements of being proficient in their job responsibilities.

We had some one like that a couple of years ago where I work. She is a sweetheart and had work for the company I'd guess over 40 years. It put a burden on everyone else at a time when we were laying off people and understaffed. If you were paired with her working on a project, it was as if you had no help and had to take the job of two people.

No joke - this woman would sleep on the toliet at work. I went into the bathroom and heard snoring - then a little while later she walked out. No one had the guts to tell her to go - they kept saying just give her proficient on her review - she is going to retire soon. They were saying this for years before she finally did.

I do think the job gave her value and a sense of being worth while, but to be honest she didn't give this to the company. We all had to pick up the slack for her.

While a younger person was put on a development plan and later let go because he did not perform to a proficient level, they let her stay and we just picked up the extra work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:29 am
@Green Witch,
I've been seeing more and more older folks working fast food - if they can handle the work what differences does it make. I would think most could.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:32 am
@Pemerson,
Actually it doesn't bother me and I stated situations where I actually preferred them - the only time it would bother me if it was something they were not capable of handling (like lifting heavy bags). I would not wanted that woman to hurt herself - however - this is no different than anyone old or young - I don't like seeing a pregnant woman doing heavy lifting, but working fine.

I think I more brought this up because I was listening to a radio conversation where they were discussing this very item - so I wanted to see different opinions.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:33 am
@dyslexia,
Exactly - the list would be exhaustive if I tried of those hired that cannot do the job.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:34 am
@plainoldme,
Thanks that is also part of it. If some one is older and wants to work and physically and mentally can - then great.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 28 May, 2010 09:35 am
@Linkat,
I live in a retirement town. There are many older people who work part time. Some do it out of necessity..........they simply need the money. Others do it for the "extras"..........a nicer vacation, hobby equipment, etc. Then there are others who just want to keep busy.

When I moved here 16 years ago, I was one of the "youngsters". At our local supermarket, the baggers take your groceries and put them in your car. At first I was very embarrassed by having a person obviously older than me lugging my stuff. I often declined help. Now..............................., hey, that is what they are paid for.