Linkat

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 04:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Actually I usually use the self checkout as you go - I get a hand reader thingy and as I choose items I scan them in and then put them in my grocery bags.

All you do at checkout is scan your card and scanner and voila out comes the bill and you pay.

The old biddie those has on occassion bagged my grocercies when I am only buying a few items. She is sweet - I just feel I have to help her (not that I mind at all).
Reyn

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:28 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Old people need money, too.

Green Witch wrote:

I have no problem with technically retired people working - if they want to. Sad thing is many have to.

Amen to the above!

I'm retired with a pension, but it's not a pension where you can go mad on.

Still looking for work. Got another interview tomorrow for an order picker position in a warehouse.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:38 pm
I don't have a problem with retirees working - they're often more efficient
and helpful than teenagers.

Reyn, some of the retirees down here in California go into pet sitting - it pays
so well. They get up to $ 15 per visit and up to $ 50 for in house sitting or
boarding. It's quite lucrative, really. You should look into that!
Rockhead

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:42 pm
@CalamityJane,
I don't know that he can afford to move to Southern California, Jane.

nice thought, though...

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:46 pm
@Linkat,
It might surprise you that this could be scary - and I would not like to be a slo mo at the machine. Far as I can see, no hand reader thing. I'm not complete fool, but the time I did try it, with store help, the store help person had trouble, and then my eyes were bad. (better now).
roger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I tried it once. The label on the pie pan was wrinkled and wouldn't scan. Phooey! On a good day, I can find a checker who is fast, friendly, and good looking. Almost always get one out of three.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 08:56 pm
@roger,
Come to albuquerque and we can go to Smiths...
roger

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:06 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm a mile from Smith's in Farm town. Dang it, I put a deposit on a nice pair of tires and now I'm not sure I can afford gas money to Aztec. It's on the back burner, though.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 26 May, 2010 09:09 pm
@roger,
Nods. Hang in.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 07:52 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Reyn, some of the retirees down here in California go into pet sitting - it pays
so well. They get up to $ 15 per visit and up to $ 50 for in house sitting or
boarding. It's quite lucrative, really. You should look into that!

Hmm, wouldn't be my "thing".

Besides, I want a "regular job" where I can continue contributing to Canada Pension which I will be eligible for at age 65.

Thanks for the thought though.
Linkat

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:48 am
@Reyn,
Well then you are not even 65 - you are not an "old people" - I'm talking olllllldddd.
Reyn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 10:54 am
@Linkat,
The way some employers think, though, when you're in you're 50s, you've suddenly become not so desireable as an employee.
roger

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 12:52 pm
@Reyn,
Yeah, they think you're going to die, retire, or have a lot of sick days. Never mind the numbers you get from people half that age.
Reyn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 01:58 pm
@roger,
Yes, indeed!

The thing is that I'm very motivated to get some extra income right now. I just need someone to at least give me an interview, listen to me, and see what I'm about in-person, instead of giving my resume a 15 second read.

Having said that, my interview that I got today for the order picker job went fine, I thought, but it's just an initial screening. Apparently, if chosen for a second one, they'll let you know.

Fingers crossed, I guess.
chai2

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:32 pm
Oh my goodness.

I have a totally different take when I see old people working.

I personally intend to keep working as long as I can.

I think when I stop is when I go quickly downhill and die.

Clogging up the system?
These are not pieces of dirty toilet paper, they are productive adults.

There's a grocery store close to work I stop at occassionally. On this slower, before 8am shift, there are several cashiers and baggers who are in their late 60's an 70's. From talking with them, and seeing the interactions between them and the younger crew, they very much enjoy the fact they are there.

heh....there's this one guy, heavy jewish accent, who ONLY bags... "Feh, I don't need that responsibility"
Talk about concentration, he works other times too, when they are busy. He walks a bit slower than the young people, but man, he watches what he's doing loading those bags...."HEY LADY, you want the paper or the ehhh....ehhh... plastic bags? Makes no difference to me."

Next door is a drug store, and there is a woman who works at the pharmacy counter, she HAS to be 75.
She is one of the most charming people I've ever seen. Sure, she double checks the name on the perscription bag twice to make sure you are who you say you are, and you're getting the right bag, but hey, she doesn't want to see you go home with rrhoid cream when you needed birth control pills.

She's always all made up, and makes every person feel they had some personal attention. "why, what a lovely scarf! that'll be 12.76 please" The most beautiful smile.
Once while waiting in line, I noticed she occassionally sniffed. In Austin, that means allergies.
When I got to her I said "Cedar fever, huh"
She got a big grin on her beautiful face, leaned in close to me, glancing her eyes left and right, and said "I feel absolutely AWFUL! Now honey, there's instructions on the outside of this bag, you make sure you read them, that will be $15.50 please."

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 03:53 pm
I'm only 67. Way I see it, I have 35 productive years ahead of me.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:11 pm
@Linkat,
Oh, I'm all for elderly people being able to work if they can. I'm sure that many folk have to work to be able to eat...

but I

think for a great many elderly folk, it's more about getting up, getting out and not withering away and dying. it gives them a purpose, self esteem and the feeling that they are not too old to be forgotten. Many elderly folk sit around and are very isolated in their "old" world - I think it's good if they are given the opportunity to do something that makes them feel worthwhile. I know it can be frustrating if you are in a hurry for something to be done - but, to be honest, you don't have to be elderly to feel as tho your body doesn't work too quickly and it can be frustrating as heck being the "slow" person. I think if an older person / elderly person is willing to work and is able to do the job, even if it takes a little longer, well, I would employ a little wee old man or woman if I could.

I don't have a relatively busy life like others do so I guess I don't have to worry about waiting so much...

put it this way - if I could afford to employ a gardener or someone to help me, I would probably employ an older person and feel more assured that they would probably do a real good job, possibly take more pride in their work - maybe take more care to make sure the job was done properly. As I say, I don't live a fast life and I live in the country - I think my views are more than likely geared towards the elderly and the environment I live in, perhaps I would feel differently if I were living a city/town life.

Yes - if I saw an older person struggling with something, I would offer assistance. Probably tho, despite their age, they would be more able than me most of the time. Pride is a wonderful thing - sometimes, if you offer too much to assist, their pride can be taken away from them. A lot of folk don't see themselves as "old" and in their head don't feel "slow" - I do believe if they are choosing to work - then that is a good thing for them and if it adds some time to my day, I think it would be worthwhile. I also think that when an elderly person is "nice", it's usually genuine. Not so much with the younger generation where "have a nice day" is sometimes just words. Bit of a generalisation for the younger folk there - not meaning to be nasty about it.

I was brought up in an "old people's home" - I lived it for most of my childhood - I disliked the elderly intensely when I was very young - the smell of wee and all that, screaming heebyjeebies at night-time... yuk... the hugs and the having to sit and listen to the stories - disliked it INTENSELY. I was also brought up with the "respect your elders" and "they fought for my country" which was drummed into me.... it's only really now, in my 40's, that I appreciate the elderly more, the stories became interesting and a hug could make all the difference to their life.

I think I am a young fuddyduddy Razz
Sglass

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:47 pm
@edgarblythe,
you betcha edgar.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 04:48 pm
@Sglass,
Sglass wrote:

you betcha edgar.
Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 27 May, 2010 05:17 pm
@chai2,
Let me tell you a quick story.

Recently, I put in a couple of resumes at our local Pizza Hut here for a "food counter attendant".

The first one, I faxed in, per instructions on an online job site. Never heard anything.

The position was again advertised (for 3 people) and I took a resume down in person to the manager. I got a "sorry we're not hiring at the moment" comment. I said I was responding to a current ad. He said, that was for across Canada. Huh?

Again, today, the position was advertised on our local Craig's List. It listed each address where the position was available. Our local PH, where I had already applied, was again listed.

Huh? Yet I'm told "we're not currently hiring"?

I say discrimination. The guy talked to me for like 15 seconds, took my resume (which was in a sealed envelop), and said we'll call if anything comes up.

Do you believe this manager?

By the way, I was dressed very appropriately and well-groomed. In other words, there should have been no reason why my resume didn't at least garner an interview.