Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 07:55 pm
For whatever stupid reason, I rarely missed this show, at least in the fifties, even though I remember being annoyed at times. Well, I rarely missed a bunch of others that were nothing like this, but they have their own storylines.

The whole smart assed troup inquiring about what Yves Saint Laurent might do for a living..

They all look young-ish to me now, so I'm guessing this was in the earlier years of the show. I particularly remember not liking Dorothy Kilgallen. I bet you dollars to donuts I'd like her now.

Do any of you have What's My Line memories, good or bad, or other oldie shows that you wouldn't mind seeing again, at least for a few minutes?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 2,088 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:46 pm
osso, The Game Show Network reran this show for a long time, so my memories are relatively fresh.

The panel members were smart with phoney hoity toity accents, except for Bennett Cerf who talked Noo Yawk and thought he was amusing. Mostly he wasn't, and mostly his puns made me cringe.

Everybody liked Arlene Francis, and nobody liked Dorothy Kilgallen. They were both smart.

One of the things that struck me about the show when I watched at the start of the 21st century was how stereotyped men and women were. A woman who had an "unconventional" job (police officer) was a real challenge for the panel. The show was also largely nonethnic. White people with sorta unusual jobs.

The mystery guests were almost always guessed. Everybody knew who was in town.

I liked the show when it was on originally. And I liked seeing it again years later.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 08:58 pm
Anybody remember this?
Roberta

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 09:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, Not nice to leave me dangling like this. Who was the president who delivered Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?

Gimme a hint.

Please.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:00 pm
@edgarblythe,
I certainly do not!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:01 pm
@Roberta,
I didn't like Cerf either. What did I know, I might have been eleven.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:07 pm
@Roberta,
None of that wider view would have dented my psyche, then, Roberta. Maybe once in a while, but only for milliseconds. I was most likely to be engaged with hating or slightly mildly liking the people on the panel re the occupations..
Roberta

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
Left out something. If a contestant stumped the panel, the contestant won an entire $100 and seemed thrilled to get it.

0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 May, 2010 11:24 pm
@ossobuco,
I didn't pay much attention to him on television, but he edited several books of humorous anectdotes about famous people. I loved 'em, so if you run across any in the second hand book stores, grab them for me.
0 Replies