Triton press, New York?

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 12:19 pm
I'm trying to find out some info of Triton Press, New York but there doesn't seem to be much available.

I came across a print they did of a Grandma Moses painting and I'm wondering if it's worth the $50 or if I should take a chance that it will still be there when it goes on sale.

I like the picture but not in the fall all over myself have to have it sense.

Thanks!

Stknfool

Reply Tue 29 Mar, 2016 08:33 pm
Musashi print with "Triton press" 'em bossed chop in lower left.
It's signed & #ed from an edition of 100.
In Japanese. Anything about would be greatly appreciated thanks
0 Replies

John Lovaas

Reply Mon 1 May, 2017 10:11 pm
Triton Press was a short run collotype printer in New York City; they were in business before WW2, and shut down their printing operation in 1985 or so- I bought all of the machinery and moved it to Illinois, where I ran a small short run print shop for 5 years.

Triton was, in my opinion, the highest quality commercial collotype operation in US history. They did extremely high quality limited edition work for the New York Graphic Society, and artists including John Audubon, Basil Ede, Norman Rockwell, Andrew Wyeth, and many others. No one could deliver their quality- and I worked for Black Box Collotype in Chicago, and got to work with some of the Triton staff before they retired.

Collotype is a continuous tone printing process- there is no halftone dot as in conventional lithography. A photographic negative is exposed to the plate, and the plate retains the resolution and tonal range of the negative.

The Japanese government has an impressive collotype operation, which they use to produce high quality fascimiles of fragile paper art objects which are considered national treasures.

Hope this helps! I worked with the process for 7 years, and am likely the youngest person on the planet(I'm 54) to have run a commercial collotype shop...
farmerman

Reply Tue 2 May, 2017 04:35 am
@John Lovaas,
excellent information. Imglad you provided thaat information re "continuous tone". Was all collotype still based on the Dichromate process?

HAs the collotype been replaced by the several computer art prints like "Iris"?
0 Replies

johniev

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 10:01 pm
@John Lovaas,
John, I'm a friend of George and Pat Knight. They both worked at Triton and helped set up their collotype process. the Knights then started their own press- Primrose Press in New Hope Pa. George passed away years ago and Pat wants to pass along all their equipment, as well as other letter press machinery. Any ideas about leads to pursue? I can be reached at: [email protected]. Thanks, John
roger

Reply Fri 28 May, 2021 10:15 pm
@johniev,
Well, you're replying to a four year old post.
johniev

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 02:11 pm
@roger,
I realize that it was an old post. Just beating the bushes and trying to find a good home for some vintage press equipment. You saw it so. . .
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Fri 11 Feb, 2022 04:16 pm
@johniev,
Seriously, THANKS!
0 Replies