Tics as a child - I really need advice!!

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:41 pm
I'm new here. I don't know if this is the right forum to ask this question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I'm kind of embarassed about asking but I am in desperate need of some advice...
When I was a little girl (starting about age 4 all the way till about 14) I had major tics that I did constantly. I still do some now but it got a little better. Oh, and I'm 19 now.
Starting when I was 4, I started to grab my crotch. Almost like it was bothering me. My Mom told me I did it around other people, in preK (in public places)... and she has no idea where it came from. Neither do I. And I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas. I did it multiple times a day (more than 20) and it lasted for about 6-7 years. Also, I also had some verbal tics, mostly throat clearing. Or just made very small noises in my throat, not necessarily clearing it. Anyone have any idea as to why? I know I've been told I was a very anxious child. Panicky at times, very cautious. And quite clingy to my Mom. I was told I use to be VERY afraid of people becoming angry with me. I would apologize excessively and I used to hide in closets, under tables, under beds... etc
So basically my question is if anyone had any similar experiences or if anyone has just any idea as to why I would have done that as a little girl.
Any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 1,940 • Replies: 11
No top replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 07:59 pm
Tourettes syndrome?
http://www.tourette.org.au/whatis.php

Between 1 and 10 children per 1,000 have Tourette's;[2] as many as 10 per 1,000 people may have tic disorders,[3][4] with the more common tics of eye blinking, coughing, throat clearing, sniffing, and facial movements. People with Tourette's have normal life expectancy and intelligence. The severity of the tics decreases for most children as they pass through adolescence, and extreme Tourette's in adulthood is a rarity. Notable individuals with Tourette's are found in all walks of life.[5]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:03 pm
@dadpad,
yeah, that's all that comes to mind.
dadpad

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:05 pm
@dyslexia,
You agreeing with again dys? This will have to stop!
dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:07 pm
@dadpad,
oops.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:24 pm
@Dreamer91,
Have you perchance seen a counselor or therapist or psychiatrist?

That might be the better route to finding out what might ail you. Don't put it off (getting professional help) now that you are an adult and you can solicit it for yourself.

Don't let pride, embarrassment, and the seeming obstacle of medical bills stop from making this very important decision in trying to bring some relief form your lifetime of suffering and anxiety.

I won't bother trying to diagnose the cause of your troubles as I'm not even qualified to diagnose my own.

You did stumble onto a forum filled with good supportive people. Welcome to a2k and hopefully we can help guide you to some kind of better sense of self.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:26 pm
Or obsessive compulsive disorder
tsarstepan

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 08:28 pm
@chai2,
That's the first thing that came to my mind.
0 Replies

Dreamer91

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:28 pm
Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
I am seeing a Psychologist now for other problems. I have also seen a Psychiatrist and they eliminated Tourette's. I have been diagnosed with OCD among other things. And my therapist is thinking that it's not an OCD symptom, but rather a side effect of PTSD. I've already been diagnosed with it because of an assault I experienced when I was 13. However, she happens to think that I may have been sexually abused within my family. My father was a very dominating and possessive man. He was extremely verbally abusive to me and constant belittled me. And his sexual boundaries with me were pretty nonexistant. So, she has a feeling that it could be related. But I have no idea. Do you think it's a possibility that something might have happened? I have a lot of unusal phobias and such (i.e. fear of womens underwear [I gag at the sight], difficulty swallowing/gagging, resisted the urge to defecate, fear of the dark and of sleeping alone) and I had a severe behavioral change when I was 11. I became extremely depressed, preoccupied with suicide and death, became very withdrawn and isolated... And I remember very little of my childhood. I start remembering snapshot memories when I was about 9 or 10. So I'm really confused about everything. I just want some insight from other people. Different perspectives, that's all. Thanks again!
dadpad

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 10:42 pm
Quote:
I just want some insight from other people. Different perspectives, that's all. Thanks again!

Its difficult to give an informed insight without knowing and conversing with you personally. folks here are happy to chat away but dont expect too much.
I'd suggest looking over some of the other threads and participating there.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sat 22 May, 2010 11:27 pm
This occurred to someone I know - all sorts of tics, twitches, and unstoppable facial movements, and it went on for years. It was linked to abusive parenting. Could that be true in your case? If you google abusive parenting, you might find information there. It eventually stopped when that person became a person in their own right and stopped being "the child" of those parents, if you can understand what I mean.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sun 23 May, 2010 08:10 am
@Dreamer91,
Dreamer91 wrote:

Thank you everyone for your ideas and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
I am seeing a Psychologist now for other problems. I have also seen a Psychiatrist and they eliminated Tourette's. I have been diagnosed with OCD among other things. And my therapist is thinking that it's not an OCD symptom, but rather a side effect of PTSD. I've already been diagnosed with it because of an assault I experienced when I was 13. However, she happens to think that I may have been sexually abused within my family. My father was a very dominating and possessive man. He was extremely verbally abusive to me and constant belittled me. And his sexual boundaries with me were pretty nonexistant. So, she has a feeling that it could be related. But I have no idea. Do you think it's a possibility that something might have happened? I have a lot of unusal phobias and such (i.e. fear of womens underwear [I gag at the sight], difficulty swallowing/gagging, resisted the urge to defecate, fear of the dark and of sleeping alone) and I had a severe behavioral change when I was 11. I became extremely depressed, preoccupied with suicide and death, became very withdrawn and isolated... And I remember very little of my childhood. I start remembering snapshot memories when I was about 9 or 10. So I'm really confused about everything. I just want some insight from other people. Different perspectives, that's all. Thanks again!

It sounds like you've got it pretty well covered here.

Why isn't the phychologist addressing these things as well as "the other problems" you are having?

0 Replies