A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

plainoldme

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:02 am
@farmerman,
An on-line app that allows you to play the traditional game of Scrabble with people far away. My daughter and I play. You would like playing on line. It is, however, slower than regular Scrabble.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:13 am
@farmerman,
I particularly like the isc.ro site as you can set a lot of variables - american english/british english, speed of game (you can decide the number of total minutes each player has for their entire game), basic rules - whether the board determines if it's a valid word before you score - what you lose if your word doesn't stand up to challenge

you can have a leisurely 25 minute per side game, or go for a 3 minute per side (total for all of your turns) game - lots of options

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 09:42 am
@ehBeth,
Thanks, ehBeth - I just bookmarked that under Sports in my browser tabs.. I'm somewhat chicken to sign up as I'm not versed in all possible small words in scrabble. I should try it though.

It's 85 F here in ABQ right now, going up to 97 F (36 C) in the afternoon.
I'm having coffee, thinking of making currant scones.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:04 am
@ossobuco,
I should go find kicky's old scrabble thread - a few of us had our usernames for the isc.ro site listed there - give it a little shove
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:42 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Photos, if you can or please, Eva. I've only been in Washington for a few hours a couple of times, visiting, primarily Piffka, back then.

Will do so when I get home and download everything! (Home by Tues.)
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 10:57 pm
00:55 EST, Sunday. Listening to Shout Out Louds' podcast concert and a2king .
85° F, Partly Cloudy, chance of rain 10%, humidity 51%,
Current wind: From WSW, 9 mph
dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:28 am
@tsarstepan,
5.50pm Sunday.

Just got home from lunch and shopping in the city.

Lovely rainy weather....but I managed to walk in and all about without getting rained on...which is as well since, somewhere on my travels, my NEW and tangerine coloured collapsible umbrella made a successful dash for freedom from my handbag...leaving behind only the abandoned skin that used to contain it, like a nylon , tangerine snake skin.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

An observation...Adelaide's Sunday afternoon city drunks and beggars are both more omni-present and aggressive than on weekdays or Saturdays. I felt threatened a couple of times, which is very rare. I wonder why this is? Perhaps the indigent observe the ritual of Saturday night as the night for really letting loose and, by the time I was walking around, their hangovers and desire for a hair of the dog were more extreme than usual?
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:35 am
6:35 pm, Sunday 18th July, Melbourne:

A very quiet Sunday night in my neighbourhood.
The rain has been steadily falling for a couple of hours now. Not a heavy "storm" type rain ... a continuous, soft, gentle rain..
It's dark outside.
I have dinner on (a slow-cooked chicken dish), I've showered & washed my hair. Planned what I need to do at work this coming week. Nothing much else at all I need to do tonight.
I'm feeling good. Calm, quiet & at peace with the world. Absolutely no good reason I can think of for why I might feel like this, but hey, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts! Smile
dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:46 am
@msolga,
Quote:
I'm feeling good. Calm, quiet & at peace with the world. Absolutely no good reason I can think of for why I might feel like this, but hey, I'm gonna enjoy it while it lasts!

Great!!! Enjoy the smeg out of it.
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:55 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Enjoy the smeg out of it.

Laughing

OK, I will.

But I won't go over-board or anything, mind!

You know how fragile & transitory these things can be ... Smile

So what are you up to at 6:51 pm, Deb?

Hang on. Take half an hour off that. You're on Adelaide time!
dlowan

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:59 am
@msolga,
I am A2king and considering opening a thread on Berlin, and also wondering what to have for dinner.

I bought two new books at highly reduced prices today, but also have some DVDs I want to watch.

I have lent Mad Men seasons 2 and 3 to a friend.

Lots of travel thoughts (including and predominantly: "How the **** am I going to pay for it!!!?????" Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked )
dagmaraka

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:03 am
11 am in Poprad,Slovakia
Vacation with the family, but a huge storm is moving through. raining cats and dogs. cats and dogs confused.
the highlights of our day might include a local museum exhibit on tea (i'm skeptical already) and going to see Shrek...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 03:07 am
@dlowan,
Berlin?

You might be going to Berlin, Deb? Surprised

I would LOVE to visit Berlin!!!

Dinner: what about .. um .. toasted cheese & tomato sandwiches? (because you don't sound like you're really in the mood for a major cook-up. Wink )

Speaking of Mad Men, did you seen the article in the NYT today?

(I think I'm going to have to buy that series. One of the very best things on television over the last couple of year. Brilliant!

7:06 pm, Melbourne:

Off to watch the evening news.
farmerman

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 04:02 am
@msolga,
6AM in Broadkill Beach Delaware. Ive been up and walking the beach with dogs. I found several large horseshoe crabs still mating after all night orgy. I discreetely placed them back into the surf so they can survive the first sun rays.

Porpoises are straying very near the shore. Apparently they are chasing fish within the wave zone. I walked down to the osprey nest and theres a lot of activity as the yound ospreys are getting klessons on fishing and osprey social skills (I guess). The young ospreys are still kinda dumb and dont get it that humans are not buddies. They land really close to you (actually they more or less crash land becauase their flying skills, while pretty good, dont include landing skills). There were two on the beach eating a large weakfish.

Drinking coffee and waiting for everyone to get up.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 05:43 am
@dlowan,
Maybe, they're too far gone to realize that they once went to church on Sunday but they're just scratching their heads over the extra time they have and that makes them grouchy.

Don't you hate it when umbrellas vanish? Once, on the subway, I noticed that the woman who just got up left a brand new umbrella. I went to the door of the car to yell to her but she had vanished. I had the umbrella briefly before it disappeared. It was a rebel umbrella that went off to explore the world with a spirit of adventure.
plainoldme

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 05:45 am
@dlowan,
I was in Berlin in 1976, before the wall was down. Open the thread.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:40 pm
6:40 am, Monday 19th July, Melbourne:

Another Monday morning. Great! The best time of the week!
Can't wait to get to work!!

(Did I fool you?
Nah, didn't fool myself, either.
Oh well, it was worth a try. Smile )

Cold, wet, very quiet & still dark in the city of Melbourne at this ungodly hour. Sensible people are snuggled up in their warm beds, still sleeping.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:47 pm
16:45 Sunday July 18

burning some brush and listening to an ABC Radio Podcast (Hindsight) about post punk music in Sydney in the late 70's - early 80's, very interesting, next week in part 2, Melbourne
msolga

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:50 pm
@djjd62,
Quote:
... listening to an ABC Radio Podcast (Hindsight) about post punk music in Sydney in the late 70's - early 80's, very interesting, next week in part 2, Melbourne

Surprised

You get up to the strangest things in your bit of Canada, djjd! Smile
djjd62

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2010 02:51 pm
@msolga,
i try Very Happy