A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 06:14 am
@Lash,
Let him out then.
farmerman

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 06:32 am
@izzythepush,
7:32 AM, EST

Watching an eagle on my neighbors field. He seems to be doing some scavanging of a dead goose. Sun is just up above the horizon and it looks like its going to be a nice day. I guess we missed all the rain that hit the SE
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 07:56 am
@izzythepush,
Haha!

It was freaky.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:33 am
@Lash,
I went to Wimborne market today. Driving through the New Forest I managed to avoid a tiny squirrel that shot in front of the car. It's a free roam area but the smallest animals wandering about are usually donkeys.

A couple of them decided to walk down the middle of the road just before I got to the cattle grid which is just by this pub.

https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/02/f4/bb/6e/the-fighting-cocks.jpg
Lash

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:41 am
@izzythepush,
This is too magnificent. I’d love to trade places with you.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2018 08:43 am
@Lash,
I don't live there, I just drive through it now and again.
0 Replies

cherrie

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 08:05 am
It's 1.04am, January 1, 2019 and I'm off to bed.

Happy New Year to everyone here.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 01:04 pm
@cherrie,
To you too, cherrie.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 02:30 pm
3:24p: sitting in front of Bourdain, all dressed up like a kid on the first day of school, waiting to go to grandson’s first cinema experienc, Mary Poppins.

He’s a bit of an Anglophile already, still chanting from Bedknobs and Broomsticks; has seen the Julie Andrews version, and with the jazzed tech in the remake, I’m silly-excited.

I like Bourdain in Vienna.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 02:32 pm
@cherrie,
Happy New Year Cherrie!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 02:34 pm
15:32 EST

just in from a final grocery run
needed a few treats for tonight's minor-league festivities
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 04:09 pm
@ehBeth,
2:08pm PST. I believe we are ready for family and friends tomorrow for New Year'a Day festivities. My wife just has to go pick up some sashimi tomorrow morning at 8am.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 07:49 pm
@Lash,
Oy.

I didn’t like the remake of Mary Poppins. I wanted to; Emily Blunt has been my favorite actress for years; it was the kid’s first time in a movie— so many reasons to want it to work...

I tried not to compare it to the original.

I didn’t like one song. I didn’t like one dance. The ballyhoo’d tech didn’t seem better than the original.

The kid liked the big screen tho...
chai2

Reply Mon 31 Dec, 2018 07:53 pm
7:52 pm CST.

Finished washing sheets and packing for start of journey back to Austin in the morning. Coffee is all set up and alarm on phone set for 6am. Now to relax with some Netflix.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:06 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

The ballyhoo’d tech didn’t seem better than the original.

What about the accents? Dick Van Dyke's shitawful attempt at a cockney accent has to be the worst in cinema history.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:31 am
@Lash,
Lash wrote:

He’s a bit of an Anglophile already,

Why not let him watch something that's actually English as opposed to American imaginings with the odd token British actor?

Something like this.

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:34 am
@izzythepush,
One of the reasons I never wanted to see ANY of the Mary Poppins movies is the awful accents and dmb songs.
With the exception of The Producers (Zero Mostel version) and A Funnt thing Happened on the Way to the Forum(also Mostel), Ive never rally enoyed musicals. Most of them are boring as hell to me.

6:33 AM EST
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:40 am
@farmerman,
I like The Blues Brothers, but I'm not that into musicals either.

Strangely enough I did really like Mary Poppins as a kid. I was very little when it first came out, and, like the Banks kids, my dad worked for a bank in London. I also got the record for my birthday long before the film came out.

That's where the similarities ended, we lived in a bungalow in Kent, and the closest we ever got to having servants was when the cub scouts had bob a job week.
farmerman

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:47 am
@izzythepush,
"bob a job",--this means??
izzythepush

Reply Tue 1 Jan, 2019 05:52 am
@farmerman,
Cubs would knock on the doors of their neighbours asking if there was any chores they could do for a shilling, (a bob). Then they would give the customer a sticker to stop them being hassled by other cubs.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/8c/6e/36/8c6e36d04afc4f95b2ecc5304a6f4f2b.png

Obviously a bob nowadays isn't worth much (5p). I don't know if it continues today or if the name has changed.