A2K time zones: What's the time where you are & what are you up to?

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:43 am
@George,
Oh now I'm even more jealous, George!
I would LOVE to be there!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 04:02 pm
@George,
George wrote:
http://www.montrealjazzfest.com/images/logo_fijm.png

funny, it used to be the Du Maurier Jazz Festival, but after the ban on tobacco companies advertising on events it's now hosted by a bank (TD) and a mining company, exactly waht i think of when i think of Jazz, certainly not cigarette smoke in dark bars Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 04:37 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:

msolga wrote:
Fingers crossed for you, Reyn. Smile

1:40 pm, June 24:

Thanks, Olga! The waiting-to-see-if-you-got-the-job thing is the hardest.

Hoping to hear one way or another next week.

3:33 pm, July 2:

Well, didn't get the job. Got tired of waiting for The Phonecall, and did the deed myself. Apparently, their lack of calling was an oversight.

Someone with forklift experience got it instead, but was told that it was "close", and would be included on the next position that came up. Hmm, we'll see about that, I guess. Sad

dlowan wrote:
Ok...you asked for it

dlowan (evolved excludee, may the paragon of parsimony prune your posts perpetually)

Wow, that's a good one, but requires me to check with a dictionary. I'm not so good with some words. Laughing
Izzie

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 05:59 pm
@Reyn,
Oh ((Reyn)) - sorry about that... that's pants. Sad

Will keep fingers and toots crossed for the next position. Hope something happens soon for you hun. x

1.00am Devon, UK - knackered - oughta be going to bed - decided to play for a while - good to see a bunch of folk around.

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:34 pm
@Reyn,
10:34 am, Saturday 3rd July, Melbourne Oz:

Oh bugger, Reyn. I'm sorry to hear that.
Fools, they don't know what they missed out on!

Half-way through the term holiday & I'm thinking: rain, hail, or whatever, I'd better spend some more time, at least, outdoors. Vitamin D is what I need! It's been the coldest winter in years & we have gone into determined hibernation here. Glumsky times. Yesterday I bought six of those sausage draft stopper thingies. So at least I am draftless now.

Please send stories of warm weather activities from the north of the planet! Details, details! So's I can enjoy them vicariously. Thank you so much in advance. As Loudon Wainwright sang:

Every night I get the blues
Greens and yellows and chartreuses

It feels a bit like that around these parts. I hate winter. Neutral
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:54 pm
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

are there any a2k-people in my Time-Zone ?

PS3 I was banned 4 meddling in serious Philosophy and using many Laughing and they suspected I was either a spammer or a Drunk and I used to much colour

Going by this -
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/eutimes.htm

http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/europe/eutimetwo.gif

there are many a2kers in your time zone. Off the top of my head,

there is Francis, who lives in Paris environs, though is often world travelling
Walter Hinteler, northern Germany; travels too, but not as much as Francis
Nimh, is from Utrecht, but has been working in Budapest for a few years now
Dagmaraka, from Slovakia, spent years in eastern u.s., now back in Slovakia, is one of our most interesting posters (works in conflict resolution internationally, or, inter regional groups). Dag also lived/worked in the Hague recently.
Saab, not sure quite where she is from, guessing Sweden
Raphillon, near Rome, doesn't post much, always worth listening to
MyOwnUserName, in Croatia - posts rarely now, very affecting writer about war; I think he is also a sports writer.

No doubt I am forgetting folks. I have more good things to say about all these people, but will let you explore, via our google custom search at the top right

On the banning, I can only grin.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:56 pm
@dlowan,
Ok, ok, I've GOT to save these. Maybe I'll crop them to a Works page.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 06:57 pm
@msolga,
I was thinking Pepi is a good nickname, if he doesn't mind.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2010 07:01 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn, that's almost good Bad News. I'd follow up on that, not nagging, of course, but remind them you exist.

Never hire me as a forklift driver..
Oops! Oopsie Daisy! Crash! Thud!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 10:27 am
9:27 am, July 3:

Thank you Izzie, Olga, and Osso for your commiserations. I guess I just keep going. Sad I was hoping that this was to be the one.

Looks like the warm weather is just about upon us here. The forecast for Tue, Wed, Thu, and Fri are in the upper 20s and lower 30s Celsius. Yuk!
Izzie

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2010 04:19 pm
@Reyn,
((Reyn))

20 past 11pm - how can that be - lost some hours somewhere along the way today Shocked

busy 'ole day in the UK and watching a movie with the kidlets
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 12:14 am
4:15 pm, Sunday 4th July, Melbourne:

Just burnt the toast (damn, that was the last of the raisin bread, too! I'll have to go get some more.)
Spent most of the day packing Pepi's raisins into packages for posting. (Boy, will he be pleased in a coupla days; time! Very Happy )
It's getting dark already.
Think I'm getting a cold.
tsarstepan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 12:19 am
@msolga,
Sorry to hear about the pending cold and the burnt toast Ms Olga. Sad

It's 02:18 in the morning and I'm contemplating whether to go to sleep or not.
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 12:21 am
Amsterdam 8:15 AM lovely start of the day

Looking forward to to-day. Meeting my friends (way back from high-school) on a birthday-party of one of their daughters. Thât's why the apple-pie...
aidan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:21 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
It's 8:13 on Sunday, the 4th of July in Somerset England.

I'm looking forward to my day too. I was going to go to the coast yesterday because when I was home, my mother saw my green sparkly bag that I got for £10 at Lulworth Cove and she loved it - when I told her they had all different colors- she told me red was her favorite color and she'd love a red one just like the one I have (which made me smile - it's like a hippy bag- she'll look so cute carrying it around on her walker)!
But I got my broken cd player in my car fixed yesterday and by the time the guy was done, all I had time to do was my grocery shopping and I cleaned my house figuring if I got all my work done yesterday I could just relax today.

So I woke up, fearing it wouldn't be sunny because a friend told me that Saturday would be the good weather day of the weekend - but I woke up today and it's a beautiful, sunny day! So now I'm waiting for my daughter to wake up and then we'll go eat breakfast at the restaurant my son works at and then she and I and my dog Pearl will go down to the coast - buy my mother's bag and then go hang out at Keyhaven near Studland where you can look out to sea and see Old Hairy Rocks and the Isle of Wight (a traveller friend told me all about all these very uninhabited and pure beaches he knows about that apparently no one else ever frequents).
msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:25 am
@tsarstepan,
Thanks, tsar. Smile
Lemon & honey drink before bed to night.

Quote:
It's 02:18 in the morning and I'm contemplating whether to go to sleep or not.

It's a hard decision, isn't it? I have trouble with it, too.

5: 26 pm, Melbourne:
Just had a shower.
Sitting here with a glass of wine in hand. I've just polished off a letter to the editor to my newspaper of choice & emailed it on. One of those 200 word quickies.

Trying to decide whether to join a friend for an Indian meal out, or not ... feeling pleasantly reclusive. Besides, I want to watch the next episode of Little Dorrit on the teev tonight ...
So relieved my ducted heating is operative again. Far better than wearing 4 jumpers, like last week!

dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:31 am
@msolga,
Been culling and re-arranging and storing stuff differently.

Still not satisfied.

Need to shop.

Walk???
Pepijn Sweep

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:33 am
@aidan,
I love quiet beaches... The west-coast of Holland is one sandy beach, but 1/2 the population goes so it's always busy. I am fixing a small sailing-boat so I can take it out next week on a lake near Amsterdam where I live.

Amsterdam, Sophia's Kitchen 9:30 AM

PS would U have any idea what I could do with lots of raisins ?
dlowan

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:36 am
@Pepijn Sweep,
Pepijn Sweep wrote:

PS would U have any idea what I could do with lots of raisins ?

Play snapdragon!!!
Quote:
Snapdragons - strange games with fire #1

As Christmas Eve approaches the nation tries to decide which family game to play. Should it be a classic board game, a cosy parlour game or maybe even a DVD quiz game. No, please don't make those mistakes...there is only one game for Christmas Eve: Snapdragons.

Very popular from the 16th to the 19th centuries, Snapdragons (or Flapdragons) has explicably declined in popularity.

Gather everyone around the dining room table, place a large flat dish in the centre. In the dish scatter a good handful of raisins then pour on top a layer of brandy or cognac. Set fire to the brandy and dim the lights. Players take it in turns to pluck a raisin out of the burning liquid and eat it quickly down. For a more competitive edge to the game use larger dried fruit such as apricots, one of which has a lucky sixpence stuffed inside.

Equipment needed: plate, matches, raisins, brandy, address of nearest accident and emergency department

Here's a Snapdragon as Tenniel envisaged it for Carroll's : "Through The Looking Glass", which contained many insects named after popular Victorian items.
http://www.cartoonstock.com/lowres/csl3020l.jpg

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2010 01:37 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Walk???

You asking me, Deb?

OK, I'd love to join you!

What a good idea! Smile

5:36 pm.